Class of 2024... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Colorado State will require vaccination for the fall if/when the vaccines obtain full FDA approval, which i think will happen this summer?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Auburn is not requiring testing and told us they can’t require the vaccine ... hopefully when they obtain the approval they can make it mandatory but I feel that it’s odd to require us to come in person but not require any safeguards

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have a good resource for parasites that has like pictures attached to it? I have a good one for treatments but not with pictures…

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have a good resource for parasites that has like pictures attached to it? I have a good one for treatments but not with pictures…
The CAPC vet site for an online resource. Georgis is a good textbook. Zajac Veterinary Clinical Parasitology is a good more quick reference type.

Reactions: 3 users
idk if any of you are doing the virtual AVMA convention, but... is there free stuff? I found a Banfield plushy. And I found some raffles to enter. but I'm wondering if there are MERCH or SAMPLES !! :lol:

Uf is requiring vaccine or you get tested every 14 days. Masks in all hospital areas and hopefully back in the classrooms as well but no social distancing. My clubs im an officer of are all planning our speakers as zoom ones.

So weird question those who use anki do you find it better to type your cards during lecture or after.

Uf is requiring vaccine or you get tested every 14 days. Masks in all hospital areas and hopefully back in the classrooms as well but no social distancing. My clubs im an officer of are all planning our speakers as zoom ones.

So weird question those who use anki do you find it better to type your cards during lecture or after.
I used quizlet instead of anki, but I made my cards during lecture. They were my notes.

Reactions: 1 users
I used quizlet instead of anki, but I made my cards during lecture. They were my notes.
Thanks I was thinking that would save me time as well.

Also @vetmedhead your statement about needs and wants really helped me today reading this thread. ( Ive had similar issues to those scml was stating)

@awesomenessity typed her anki cards during lecture. iirc she would work ahead and if she had questions she’d stop and wait for the professor to get to where she was at

• Love
@awesomenessity typed her anki cards during lecture. iirc she would work ahead and if she had questions she’d stop and wait for the professor to get to where she was at

Yup that's exactly what I did. I used to do them at home but found I was spending like 4+ hours every night making flashcards, and then never getting time to review them because of it. Meanwhile I was just zoning out in class and not really paying attention anyway lol. So I decided to just do them in class and make my day more productive!

How does one create flash cards during lecture? Genuine question. Other than things presented in "phrase: definition" style, how do you decide what to make flash cards for, and what to put on the front and back? I think making flash cards during class would be a good approach for me, I am just kind of unclear on how I could do it. I can barely keep up taking notes, I usually just end up not :(

How does one create flash cards during lecture? Genuine question. Other than things presented in "phrase: definition" style, how do you decide what to make flash cards for, and what to put on the front and back? I think making flash cards during class would be a good approach for me, I am just kind of unclear on how I could do it. I can barely keep up taking notes, I usually just end up not :(
I made mine primarily from the PowerPoint slides and would end up ahead of the lecturer as a result, so could ask questions in the meantime. I’m not sure how to answer your question best, but you can look at my decks for examples if you want: www.quizlet.com/popex102

• Love
@sheltermed I also pretty much never used these in flashcard form - Quizlet will make multiple choice tests for you if you ask it to, and I'd use the Learn function to go through the decks once or twice and then test myself relentlessly until I got 100% on all of them. Idk if it would work well for other people but it translated really well from Quizlet to actual exams for me.

Worth noting that this only applies to some classes. I never found that Quizlet worked well for me for clin path or imaging, in particular, and had to find other ways to study for those.

Members don't see this ad :)
@sheltermed I also pretty much never used these in flashcard form - Quizlet will make multiple choice tests for you if you ask it to, and I'd use the Learn function to go through the decks once or twice and then test myself relentlessly until I got 100% on all of them. Idk if it would work well for other people but it translated really well from Quizlet to actual exams for me.

Worth noting that this only applies to some classes. I never found that Quizlet worked well for me for clin path or imaging, in particular, and had to find other ways to study for those.
Shorty, you’re a genius I swear

I made mine primarily from the PowerPoint slides and would end up ahead of the lecturer as a result, so could ask questions in the meantime. I’m not sure how to answer your question best, but you can look at my decks for examples if you want: www.quizlet.com/popex102
I find that for almost all of my classes the professor talks more in-depth about the slide during lecture than what is written on the slide which makes me scared I’m going to miss something if I spend class just using the slide for making flash cards. For the classes you make flash cards in this method, do you not feel like you are missing information?

I find that for almost all of my classes the professor talks more in-depth about the slide during lecture than what is written on the slide which makes me scared I’m going to miss something if I spend class just using the slide for making flash cards. For the classes you make flash cards in this method, do you not feel like you are missing information?
In my experience (at least at my school) the only stuff that was testable was stuff actually on the slides, but YMMV depending on the prof. It's one of those things you have to get a bit of a feel for I guess!

Yup that's exactly what I did. I used to do them at home but found I was spending like 4+ hours every night making flashcards, and then never getting time to review them because of it. Meanwhile I was just zoning out in class and not really paying attention anyway lol. So I decided to just do them in class and make my day more productive!
This was my issue to and trying to start off second year without issue this is our schedule....

Attachments

• 2nd-year-Fall-2021-1.pdf
    216.4 KB · Views: 113
In my experience (at least at my school) the only stuff that was testable was stuff actually on the slides, but YMMV depending on the prof. It's one of those things you have to get a bit of a feel for I guess!
Mostly this was true besides anatomy..our anatomy guy was torture. I used ninja nerd for our physio courses and for those I made Bs once I used him instead. There was so much tangents with professors and excess info it was hard to filter. What I did was if you have notes from previous years ( we had a dropbox of them from early 2000s and forward) I used any of the questions or study guides as my cards and or would watch the lectures and do cards then use the review questions to test myself.

Also, in case it hasn't been mentioned in this thread already somewhere, Armando Hasudungan's YouTube channel has TONS of explanations of how various things work, from signaling pathways to more general biochem to medicine. I didn't know about his channel when I was in vet school, but I used it a ton when I was studying for my PhD qualifying exams, and highly recommend it.

Reactions: 4 users
That YouTube channel was a very large part of my early pathology boards prep. I ended up needing to go deeper for my purposes but it was a nice refresher and a pretty good vet student level of detail. Definitely recommend him.

Also, in case it hasn't been mentioned in this thread already somewhere, Armando Hasudungan's YouTube channel has TONS of explanations of how various things work, from signaling pathways to more general biochem to medicine. I didn't know about his channel when I was in vet school, but I used it a ton when I was studying for my PhD qualifying exams, and highly recommend it.

I feel like this should also go in the study tools thread :laugh:
Seems v useful

Adding him to my ninja nerd and Peabodydvm subs

Summer is almost over. Finished my Veterinary Scholars Research Program and presentations, still working with the cardiologist and will continue through the school year when I can and will continue to do surgeries with my immunology research (mice) about once a month during the school year. Now up in Idaho for a week of externship for one hour of credit. Got to help with some interesting surgeries yesterday! It is beautiful up here. Back to my new apartment next week and then back to class. It is going to be strange being in class instead of virtual. Hope everyone had a great summer and is ready to get back at it!

Reactions: 8 users
I’m ready to get back into the routine of school, but definitely not ready for the stress! We start up again Monday 8/23 and as of the moment our lectures will be in person. I loved zoom lectures so it’ll be an adjustment for me :confused:

Is attendance required? 😕
No, but it’ll make me anxious to miss. And feeing behind if lecture captures aren’t posted right away will keep me up at night :shrug:

• Sad
I’m ready to get back into the routine of school, but definitely not ready for the stress! We start up again Monday 8/23 and as of the moment our lectures will be in person. I loved zoom lectures so it’ll be an adjustment for me :confused:
Glad I'm not the only one who loved Zoom lectures - makes me feel antisocial or something. I loved doing labs with my classmates at school... and lectures with my cats at home.

Reactions: 5 users
Glad I'm not the only one who loved Zoom lectures - makes me feel antisocial or something. I loved doing labs with my classmates at school... and lectures with my cats at home.
Yes! I could type loudly, grab a snack whenever I wanted, run my dogs out to pee, save drive time, and cuddle up in a cozy blanket. All things of the past :cryi:

Yes! I could type loudly, grab a snack whenever I wanted, run my dogs out to pee, save drive time, and cuddle up in a cozy blanket. All things of the past :cryi:
Right? Not having to put on a bra or pack a lunch or hike across campus from the parking lot in heat/rain/cold... It was awesome.

Don’t tell @battie that she wasn’t allowed to do this in lecture then :laugh:

Legit had heating blankets with us year 1 because the room is always cold.
Also all the snacks always:laugh:
I ran into our assistant dean once while I was running into lecture with a blanket wrapped around me like a cape. Also I once took an entire physiology exam underneath a blanket. I am always cold

• Love
I ran into our assistant dean once while I was running into lecture with a blanket wrapped around me like a cape. Also I once took an entire physiology exam underneath a blanket. I am always cold
Hmm… maybe I need to be a trendsetter and start doing this. The only way I can be even a little bit happy in a lecture hall is wrapped in a blanket with lots of snacks :p

ooooooh… maybe a snuggie with pockets!!

Is this a universal requirement for vet schools? Because my fellow class rep and I had a giant blanket we shared in our classroom, particularly second year 😂

• Haha
About 50% of my class would have blankets at any given time lol. And we had one classmate who chronically overheats and would always try to turn down the thermostat. WW3 almost happened numerous times over thermostat settings :laugh:

Hmm… maybe I need to be a trendsetter and start doing this. The only way I can be even a little bit happy in a lecture hall is wrapped in a blanket with lots of snacks :p

We sold snuggies with the vet logo on them... I still keep mine at work for cold overnights. :laugh:

• Love
I loved having a blanket in my seat/pod. Also always cold in that frozen north

In person lectures have their perks in the way of entertainment. If you aren’t at the front you can spy on all the hilarious crap other students do during lecture. The online shopping, Netflix, live Eagle cams, you get the gist. I miss that side of things.

One of my all time favourite lecture moments was when my friend (who sits in the front row) rolled up to lecture with a crock pot, plugged the crock pot into her desk outlet, took out a cutting board, and started chopping veggies and making a soup during the lecture. Prof gave her the fish eye but pretended he didn’t see. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Pajamas, coffee, and pets nearby is the best way to watch lectures. I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who loved zoom.
Zoom had its own entertainment lol

• Love
Glad it isn't just me. I liked watching lectures at my desk, with my cat, on my schedule!

• Love

You can 100% do this!! When I was a first year there were a ton of us who would just leave a blanket at our seat because it was always freezing. The downfall after first year though is that you have to carry it around with you because we can't leave things in the upstairs classrooms since they get used so much for other things :confused: but in all reality there will be no judgement if you do this. We would snack all the time too, but I feel like that will probably change since masks are required again

You can 100% do this!! When I was a first year there were a ton of us who would just leave a blanket at our seat because it was always freezing. The downfall after first year though is that you have to carry it around with you because we can't leave things in the upstairs classrooms since they get used so much for other things :confused: but in all reality there will be no judgement if you do this. We would snack all the time too, but I feel like that will probably change since masks are required again
I keep hoping they’ll do asynchronous zoom. Have you heard anything?

In person lectures have their perks in the way of entertainment. If you aren’t at the front you can spy on all the hilarious crap other students do during lecture. The online shopping, Netflix, live Eagle cams, you get the gist. I miss that side of things.

One of my all time favourite lecture moments was when my friend (who sits in the front row) rolled up to lecture with a crock pot, plugged the crock pot into her desk outlet, took out a cutting board, and started chopping veggies and making a soup during the lecture. Prof gave her the fish eye but pretended he didn’t see. :laugh:
We had a couple days of professional development lectures that were the entire day (by ONE person) and weren't really relevant to my career goals AT ALL because it was all about practice ownership, which I 100% never want to do, I don't even want to be in private practice period, but attendance was mandatory.

I had my screen split so I could livestream the world equestrian games while I was taking notes. I know at least a couple other people were watching my screen too :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I keep hoping they’ll do asynchronous zoom. Have you heard anything?
Last I heard the plan was to have lectures in-person, but it wouldn't surprise me if they also have it on zoom or at least make lecture capture mandatory for the sake of people who would rather stay home

Just got an email from my school confirming that even though we are all required to be vaccinated, we have to continue surveillance testing/weekly COVID tests. At least the process doesn’t take that long and hopefully being on campus more will make it more convenient to get tested. Most times last year I had to leave my house specifically to go get tested and head right back home after.

Just got an email from my school confirming that even though we are all required to be vaccinated, we have to continue surveillance testing/weekly COVID tests. At least the process doesn’t take that long and hopefully being on campus more will make it more convenient to get tested. Most times last year I had to leave my house specifically to go get tested and head right back home after.
What a pain though. Hopefully it doesn’t last long for your sake! Here only the non-vaccinated (via exemption) have to be tested weekly.