Class of 2022 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
VMH you bypassed egg status and went straight to disillusioned 50-yo author who lives with a pet dragon and has tea at 2 o'clock every afternoon, gets too much fan mail, and spends long stretches of time contemplating the reality of black dwarf stars. You also have a British accent.

Reactions: 6 users
VMH you bypassed egg status and went straight to disillusioned 50-yo author who lives with a pet dragon and has tea at 2 o'clock every afternoon, gets too much fan mail, and spends long stretches of time contemplating the reality of black dwarf stars. You also have a British accent.
vmh probably does get a lot of fan mail from the stories she writes.....

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ARE YOU FEELIN 22 THOUGH, MEATHEAD
Groce
I think I was actually born this way

I just went to UF's website and on the section of course requirements they list animal nutrition and animal science under recommended electives. Does that mean I don't HAVE to take it anymore to be able to be considered? Is this new for this cycle?
Current UF student and pre-health peer advisor and from what I've gathered talking to other advisors is that you should still take the courses. They're trying to pull in a lot more OOS students by not having those courses required, but they still like to see the courses taken. It is new for this cycle that those courses are not required. If you have any other questions about UF, feel free to message me. I was accepted here this cycle and have a ton of advising experience. :)

Does anyone know which schools have supplemental essays and what those essays are? It's really difficult to find any info about supplementals, but it'd be nice to have an idea of what the essay topics are so I can start thinking about them.

Does anyone know which schools have supplemental essays and what those essays are? It's really difficult to find any info about supplementals, but it'd be nice to have an idea of what the essay topics are so I can start thinking about them.

You should be able to see that information on the school's website. If not, don't worry too much about the supplemental essays. At least for me, they didn't take up a large amount of my time filling out the application. They are not designed to have you think about them months in advance, though you could spend the 3 or 4 months that the application cycle is open trying to perfect them if you wish.

It can change year to year, but if you look at school threads you'll generally see them mentioned. I'd expect more changes than usual this year since VMCAS got rid of the personal statement.

For where I applied, U Wisconsin had a diversity essay, U of Illinois has a science/public health one that changes every year, NC State, Mizzou, and WSU had very short essay questions (~a paragraph each), and Ohio State and UC Davis didn't have any essays.

Members don't see this ad :)
It can change year to year, but if you look at school threads you'll generally see them mentioned. I'd expect more changes than usual this year since VMCAS got rid of the personal statement.

For where I applied, U Wisconsin had a diversity essay, U of Illinois has a science/public health one that changes every year, NC State, Mizzou, and WSU had very short essay questions (~a paragraph each), and Ohio State and UC Davis didn't have any essays.
I'll add on! UF had a diversity statement and maybe one more. OkState didn't have one, I don't think Purdue did. VAMD and NCState both had a couple- I specifically remember NCState had 6 mini essays.

I didn't spend as much time on my supplementals as I should've, but I only spent about a week on each.

Supplemental fees though are a different and are a b****, depending on how many schools you apply to.

Ill add on as well! UF had a diversity statement as well as an essay talking about what you do in terms of extracurricular's and such to relieve stress. Cornell had 5 mini essays that were very open ended. Honestly you could talk about a wide variety of things, I remember for mine I talked about the aftermath of a hurricane and how that affected me. UGA has an essay where you choose between 6 or 7 pairings of words and then explain why you chose that word. UPenn had only one, and that was why UPenn was a good school for you. LSU wanted a diversity statement like UF.

Im hoping I can get past UFs Academic review this time. Still applying to Auburn,LMU and possibly another.

For UF I talked about how working with rural communities and wanting to work in the LA field meant to me. I also talked about my community involvement etc. I dress up as characters for sick kids and talked about how dealing with them helped me death with death in the veterinary field.

Last edited:
Im hoping I can get past UFs Academic review this time. Still applying to Auburn,LMU and possibly another.

For UF I talked about how working with rural communities and wanting to work in the LA field meant to me. I also talked about my community involvement etc. I dress up as characters for sick kids and talked about how dealing with them helped me death with death in the veterinary field.
Best of luck to you! That sounds like an amazing diversity statement! UF would be lucky to have you!

But as a fellow Florida resident I must represent my alma mater forever so.... GO NOLES! :D

Reactions: 1 user
Best of luck to you! That sounds like an amazing diversity statement! UF would be lucky to have you!

But as a fellow Florida resident I must represent my alma mater forever so.... GO NOLES! :D
Haha Im a Stetson Alum with my post bacc retakes at UCF so I have a soft spot for UCF.

I retook 8 courses while working 40hrs a week and weekends at an equine practice so no Cs in my prereqs besides some math. I don't want to take a masters, but im moving up to take the two courses at UF they require. Was going to take physio but I'm trying to rock my GRE this time. I was 75% percentile in verbal but 20 in Math, I think that killed my app last time.

My vets im shadowing on my days off went to Auburn and Ohio state, a lot of vets I've met went there so im keeping my options open. UF is where I want to be though and the best choice for me life wise. Im Lgbt/Trans and worry about going to LMU or Auburn and having issues living there but vet school is vet school. Gainesville is a pretty open place and I feel safe there.

Haha Im a Stetson Alum with my post bacc retakes at UCF so I have a soft spot for UCF.

I retook 8 courses while working 40hrs a week and weekends at an equine practice so no Cs in my prereqs besides some math. I don't want to take a masters, but im moving up to take the two courses at UF they require. Was going to take physio but I'm trying to rock my GRE this time. I was 75% percentile in verbal but 20 in Math, I think that killed my app last time.

My vets im shadowing on my days off went to Auburn and Ohio state, a lot of vets I've met went there so im keeping my options open. UF is where I want to be though and the best choice for me life wise. Im Lgbt/Trans and worry about going to LMU or Auburn and having issues living there but vet school is vet school. Gainesville is a pretty open place and I feel safe there.

You should definitely apply to Ohio haha:)

You should definitely apply to Ohio haha:)
Haha I talked to them today about applying and taking the physio req this fall. They said It just has to be taken by spring. However im a Florida boy and I might die of cold up there, if I got in it would be worth it.

Do most vet schools look at graduate GPA's or only undergraduate?

Do most vet schools look at graduate GPA's or only undergraduate?
Most look at both. Missouri only looks at undergrad, and there might be others as well.

Haha I talked to them today about applying and taking the physio req this fall. They said It just has to be taken by spring. However im a Florida boy and I might die of cold up there, if I got in it would be worth it.

It would definitely be worth it! It's an awesome school and Columbus is a cool city:)

Went and toured LMU: surprisingly pretty awesome program, and I'm officially in love with the location. Being surrounded by so many national parks is heaven

Reactions: 5 users
Went and toured LMU: surprisingly pretty awesome program, and I'm officially in love with the location. Being surrounded by so many national parks is heaven
Im not going to be able to really tour before applying but Ive heard awesome things and Im in love with their way of teaching/helping the surrounding community. Its what I've wanted to do and what I had in my statement.

Im having a moment of doubt and nervousness. When Vmcas calculated my GPA it was 3.2-3.3. This was counting in my retake classes which were almost All As and some Bs with my Ds and C-'s I took to replace them. The only Cs I had left were some math/ and two science electives. My Verbal GRE was at the 75th percentile but my Quant was at the 20th. I'm just hoping with the courses im taking animal nutrition/Animal science and bringing up the GRE that its not for nothing. Im being super hard on myself, probably because I just left my vet Job of 2.5 years to go do this and the family I had there.

Im having a moment of doubt and nervousness. When Vmcas calculated my GPA it was 3.2-3.3. This was counting in my retake classes which were almost All As and some Bs with my Ds and C-'s I took to replace them. The only Cs I had left were some math/ and two science electives. My Verbal GRE was at the 75th percentile but my Quant was at the 20th. I'm just hoping with the courses im taking animal nutrition/Animal science and bringing up the GRE that its not for nothing. Im being super hard on myself, probably because I just left my vet Job of 2.5 years to go do this and the family I had there.
Is that your cumulative GPA, science GPA, or last 45 hours GPA?

As for the GRE:
Try using The 5lb book of GRE practice problems this go around. It is around $15-25 depending on where you buy it, but it has TONS of practice problems to help you practice over and over. You can also get the Princeton Review book for GRE in the current year and take the section practice tests just for Quant. The book comes with 6 free FULL online tests and 2 in the actual book. You can also take 2 full GRE practice tests on the Ets.org website. The GRE may not even be a factor for consideration at some schools next year.

Is that your cumulative GPA, science GPA, or last 45 hours GPA?

As for the GRE:
Try using The 5lb book of GRE practice problems this go around. It is around $15-25 depending on where you buy it but it has TONS of problems in there to help you practice. You can also get the Princeton Review book for GRE in the current year and take just the section practice tests just for Quant. The book comes with 6 free FULL online tests and 2 in the actual book. You can also take 2 full GRE practice tests on the Ets.org website. The GRE may not even be a factor for consideration at some schools next year.

I believe it was my cumulative but science is what I most retook. Im using Magoosh/that book/ and the manhattan series.

Im checking but Im wondering if it would go up or down if they were replaced/averaged
They will definitely go up if they are replaced by the higher grade and if they are averaged, it will depend on if you went from say a C to an A then you would have a B so your GPA would also go up. Im going to send you a PM :thumbup:

They will definitely go up if they are replaced by the higher grade and if they are averaged, it will depend on if you went from say a C to an A then you would have a B so your GPA would also go up. Im going to send you a PM :thumbup:
Awesome thanks

I'm in a similar boat as you. I've had to retake a few classes here and there, but I've made sure I came out at an A or high B to fix it. I'm hoping a high GRE score, high last 45 GPA, and my experience will work together to show who I really am and that I'm capable of becoming a vet. It's definitely nerve wracking when everyone is talking about their 3.6+ GPAs and you're trying to nudge your 3.2 up any way you can.

I always hardcore recommend Magoosh for GRE studying because it helped me so much. I think the hardest part about vet school applications to the constant temptation to compare yourself to fellow applicants. Trust me, I've been there. But there are *so* many variables to the application process. I have a friend that got in with a similar GPA to you, for what that is worth! A below-average GPA can make it harder but if you want this, you can make it happen. I definitely recommend looking at the different schools and how they look at grades and then applying smart:)

[I'm pretty sure VMCAS averages your retakes when it calculates GPAs, so def look at schools that replace grades too].

I always hardcore recommend Magoosh for GRE studying because it helped me so much. I think the hardest part about vet school applications to the constant temptation to compare yourself to fellow applicants. Trust me, I've been there. But there are *so* many variables to the application process. I have a friend that got in with a similar GPA to you, for what that is worth! A below-average GPA can make it harder but if you want this, you can make it happen. I definitely recommend looking at the different schools and how they look at grades and then applying smart:)

[I'm pretty sure VMCAS averages your retakes when it calculates GPAs, so def look at schools that replace grades too].
Might be 3.1/3.2 instead but yeah im tapped out on funds to retake more. I feel so horrible that I messed up in early undergrad. I posted in the chances thread and I just feel like im going to be 40 if I ever get in.

Might be 3.1/3.2 instead but yeah im tapped out on funds to retake more. I feel so horrible that I messed up in early undergrad. I posted in the chances thread and I just feel like im going to be 40 if I ever get in.
Just a small plug to bring you some hope, because I similarly messed up in undergrad, especially early on. I was eventually accepted to a couple of schools first try with a 3.2:
Successful Applicant Stats - Class of 2020

It's definitely not impossible if your application shows other strengths.

That is all water under the bridge. It doesn't do one once of good to beat yourself up for something that happened in the past. Sure as heck can't go back! All you can do is work hard and do what you can NOW to get where you want to be. Look at any of the successful applicants threads and there are people who were in the same boat as you and got in. If you want it, make it happen.

I think the only thing I can do is when I move up which UF said was a good idea as it looks best taking their own courses if im retaking, is sitting down with admissions again to see what I can do.

I think the only thing I can do is when I move up which UF said was a good idea as it looks best taking their own courses if im retaking, is sitting down with admissions again to see what I can do.

Definitely talk to admissions at the schools you are interested it. It can be incredibly beneficial

Definitely talk to admissions at the schools you are interested it. It can be incredibly beneficial
People on the other thread were saying take at a community college but UF said no. They said take more upper division/do a masters/ or get a good GRE quant.

People on the other thread were saying take at a community college but UF said no. They said take more upper division/do a masters/ or get a good GRE quant.

Some schools are perfectly okay with taking classes at a CC. If UF wants you to take them at a 4 year and you want to go to UF, that's what I would do!

Does anyone know of any aid for additional courses? Most of my upper division I need to take at a 4yr uni due to needing physio ( non allied health) anatomy, and immunology or histology.

Hopefully actually getting in this round at the grand age of 25 :p
Hey, I'm right there with you. It'll be my 3rd try and I just turned 25 a few days ago! :oldman:

Wait...am I reading this right??

I'm with you too. I messed up first semester, then failed spectacularly in a class later on (just late enough for it to be a part of my last 45, of course). Graduated with Cml. GPA of 3.3, doesn't budge much since I have so many credits. Had to spend the past few years doing retakes--I hear you, it's so pricey as a non-degree-seeker that I could only really afford to take 1 class/lab at a time. But on my 2nd attempt, I already made major progress compared to last year. We will get there :)

Reactions: 3 users
Wait...am I reading this right??
Yes. VMCAS did away with the personal statement starting with the 2017-2018 application cycle.

I have no idea why. Especially since they apparently replaced it with three separate short essay prompts that ask pretty much the same questions, anyway.

Yes. VMCAS did away with the personal statement starting with the 2017-2018 application cycle.

I have no idea why. Especially since they apparently replaced it with three separate short essay prompts that ask pretty much the same questions, anyway.
Holy crap. That's odd... I never thought that would happen. (I first assumed that meant done away with completely and was a bit worried, lol)
A part of me is excited because I struggle with essay writing and might find 3 separate short-essay responses easier to deliver. I kind of liked some of the short essay questions on CSU's, WSU's, etc.

I'm with you! I'm applying to schools again this year and am most worried about my GPA which is ~3.2 cumulative. I had a few classes that I ended up retaking and, because of that, my cGPA suffered. I'm planning on taking a few classes over the summer and fall, and am just debating if it's worth it retaking the prerequisites classes I got C's in or taking new, upper level science classes. I'm retaking my GRE in June and am hoping for a much higher score that I got last time.

I'm also spending a lot of time looking into what schools focus more on (overall GPA vs prerequsite vs last 45 credits) so I can apply much more smartly this time around!

I'm with you! I'm applying to schools again this year and am most worried about my GPA which is ~3.2 cumulative. I had a few classes that I ended up retaking and, because of that, my cGPA suffered. I'm planning on taking a few classes over the summer and fall, and am just debating if it's worth it retaking the prerequisites classes I got C's in or taking new, upper level science classes. I'm retaking my GRE in June and am hoping for a much higher score that I got last time.

I'm also spending a lot of time looking into what schools focus more on (overall GPA vs prerequsite vs last 45 credits) so I can apply much more smartly this time around!

Take new upper science!

Has anyone here ever done any type of file review with OSU? I just scheduled mine earlier, and it'll be on wednesday (via phone because OOS). I've never had one before.