Class of 2022 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was told to rely on the calculator as little as possible for the GRE because it sucks haha

I heard that too. It's also not useful when they give you a math question like "If it's 10 pm now, and the clock hand moves counterclockwise 5687395745 times at a speed of 500 light years, when will the hand stop at 12?"

(and yes, I did get a slightly less exaggerated variation of this question on the gre)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if it's possible to get an accommodation for a normal calculator? My ADHD makes computer based exams hard enough, but trying to also figure out a calculator sounds daunting. My mental math tends to leave some to the imagination and I like to be able to check my answers.

In other news, I've got my only tour scheduled for two weeks from now at LMU. As my only OOS option its the only one I plan to tour, because if I get in IS I'll go there regardless due to cost. I'm so excited.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get an accommodation for a normal calculator? My ADHD makes computer based exams hard enough, but trying to also figure out a calculator sounds daunting. My mental math tends to leave some to the imagination and I like to be able to check my answers.

In other news, I've got my only tour scheduled for two weeks from now at LMU. As my only OOS option its the only one I plan to tour, because if I get in IS I'll go there regardless due to cost. I'm so excited.
Going to PM you.

Members don't see this ad :)

My boyfriend has ADHD and received extended time on the GRE. He had to get it approved through his doctor and ETS first I believe.

Anyone have any tips for applying to LMU? It's my top choice and I'm really nervous about it. I'd say I'm average/below average GPA-wise. Thanks!

Anyone have any tips for applying to LMU? It's my top choice and I'm really nervous about it. I'd say I'm average/below average GPA-wise. Thanks!

I have a 3.3 gpa and received an interview invitation from LMU.

Reactions: 2 users
Awesome! That's right around where I'm at too. Thanks for giving me hope! And congrats!!

No problem! Just make sure you have other things on your application that make you stand out.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Anyone has tips on CSU? I am planning to move to Colorado on August and apply this cycle that way I can be catalogued as an in-state student once I enroll (if I get in).

Hi! Anyone has tips on CSU? I am planning to move to Colorado on August and apply this cycle that way I can be catalogued as an in-state student once I enroll (if I get in).
I'm about to get on a plane so can't post very extensively, but I'm a dual degree student there now who will be starting my first year in the veterinary program this August. I'm also domiciling like you intend to do, so I may have some insight on that process as well. If you'd like to shoot me a PM I can answer questions you have a little more in depth. :D

I just went to UF's website and on the section of course requirements they list animal nutrition and animal science under recommended electives. Does that mean I don't HAVE to take it anymore to be able to be considered? Is this new for this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just went to UF's website and on the section of course requirements they list animal nutrition and animal science under recommended electives. Does that mean I don't HAVE to take it anymore to be able to be considered? Is this new for this cycle?

Unless they changed it, you need it. You are allowed to the it the summer before matriculation however, so I didn't plan to take it until after I heard if I was accepted. I'm sure it different and less expensive for others depending on your situation.

Unless they changed it, you need it. You are allowed to the it the summer before matriculation however, so I didn't plan to take it until after I heard if I was accepted. I'm sure it different and less expensive for others depending on your situation.
That's what I am not sure, if they changed it or not because in the website it seemed like it. If they no longer require them, this changes the game for me. :thinking:
Also, is it possible to take the classes at UF during that summer?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 11.13.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 11.13.51 AM.png
    316.1 KB · Views: 64
That's what I am not sure, if they changed it or not because in the website it seemed like it. If they no longer require them, this changes the game for me. :thinking:
I would call/email them to double check, but it does look like they changed it.

Yes you can take the classes at UF during the summer! (At least that's what the Pre Vet advisor at UF told me.) you can also take online courses that UF accepts for those two classes online if moving to Gainesville is a very costly option.

LMU and Auburn are my OOs choices this round. I also have ADD I can share a little that im working on to speed up my basic math ( no calc skills)

Last edited:
Yes you can take the classes at UF during the summer! (At least that's what the Pre Vet advisor at UF told me.) you can also take online courses that UF accepts for those two classes online if moving to Gainesville is a very costly option.
Talked to Nicole who is an advisor as im moving up there to take the classes( and lab) and another. She said that they aren't required but they are " highly recommended". I said..so still needed. She basically said while not technically on paper needed...you still need them.

Welcome to SDN!

Don't let the Successful Applicants thread freak you out. It's a good tool to see who has gotten into various schools, but everyone is unique and has unique things to bring to the table!

Vet med has a lot of non-traditional students, but the average age for applicants is still around 21/22, so your definitely not alone haha. I guess I was still technically 20 when I submitted my application last summer, but by the time school starts in Aug I'll be 22.

I don't know why they are getting rid of the personal statement (and I'm definitely glad it's after my cycle lol) but the questions will turn out okay. Still a chance for you to add a personal touch to your application. We usually do a personal statement help thread once VMCAS opens, and I'm sure we'll do a three questions thread this year lol

Above all else take a deep breath. You've worked hard to get to the point of applying. If you squint, the end is in sight haha

P.S. OSU was my top choice and I'll be starting as a first year in the fall, so happy to help with any application/interview questions. There's several current OSU-ers on here too. @lilylilac @Karabiner13 and @Filly Bay are always majorly helpful.
Good lord you're making me feel ancient, im 26 applying this year.

Reactions: 1 users
That's actually @SummerTheLynx 's job, but he's been big time slacking! Where's my c/o old man???

old-grizzly-bear-10947660.jpg

(This bear wasn't supposed to be so depressingly old but that's all I could find)

That bear looks like the velveteen rabbit before it gets incinerated.

Reactions: 7 users
@cdoconn you need to come to Purdue and we can go to Harry's Chocolate Shop

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You are still the one and only egg though. And will forever be an egg.
I think we came to the agreement that I would hatch when I graduated with my dvm. So I have 4 more years of egg, and then I'll finally become a quail!

Im moving up to UF in april to take the two courses that are not required but totally are. They recommended the lab as well, Im taking physio to show I can handle more than two courses.

What is a common back- up plan for those who don't get in?

I'm applying this upcoming cycle too. My backup plan (if I don't get in this year) is to finish my bachelors and look for spectacular experience opportunities. Basically do the things I don't have time to do right now but that would look great on an application. Do an internship abroad, work with exotics, or some type of really cool animal-related research. Maybe even retake a couple science classes that i made below an A in! Although not getting in this cycle would be a major letdown, you can use the extra time to do things you've always wanted to do! Also, I often have to remind myself that it's only 1 extra year if I don't get in. It's not like we would have to wait another 10 years to go to vet school. Try to stay positive and not let the stress get to your head!! ( I know it's easier said than done ) I really hope you get in this cycle!! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile