Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I've already expressed interest to the lady that is in charge of the program. She looked at my name and is going to hopefully put me in her group. They're also pretty selective on who the dog goes to. They want the dog to choose their person and want students to know how big of a commitment it is. She said I picked a good one though. I know this is a big commitment, but if I'm going to get a dog, I want one that is as good as this one!
I hope you get to be in her group and get to eventually adopt her:biglove:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Well take one thing off the list for now, I don't think parking passes are for sale until the beginning of August.

I don't know what your options are, but if anything offers rights to both lot 91/92 get that. 91 is much closer to where classes will be

You say that like August is far away :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
So much to do, so much to get! Getting excited!

IMG_3094.jpg

It sure is flying by...

On one hand I'm excited cause I'm hoping this year goes better. On the other, I liked earning the monies, reading a lot, and swimming to work out. Can't do that as much during school.

No I hadn't. Wasn't able to committ.:laugh:

Get a Hydro Flask! It literally keeps your water/drink with ice cold for over 24 hours (with ice) I have the 21oz and 32oz and I suggest the 21oz...it fits better in your backpack than the 32oz and I would pay a little extra for the sport cap so you won't have to unscrew the lid every time (unless you don't care...it just gets on my nerves to do so .)
IMG_5723.PNG

Get a Hydro Flask! It literally keeps your water/drink with ice cold for over 24 hours (with ice) I have the 21oz and 32oz and I suggest the 21oz...it fits better in your backpack than the 32oz and I would pay a little extra for the sport cap so you won't have to unscrew the lid every time (unless you don't care...it just gets on my nerves to do so .)
View attachment 221883
I'll look into that! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need the dictionary. And there will be lots of free water bottles through the various lunch meeting swag first year. haha
really? Oh sweet. (I figured I didn't need the dictionary, but it was on the required materials list so I wasn't sure). Good call on the free water bottles!

really? Oh sweet. (I figured I didn't need the dictionary, but it was on the required materials list so I wasn't sure). Good call on the free water bottles!
I am surprised they still include it as necessary when you can just look up anything online these days.

Reactions: 1 users
Guys who were in on the glove convo - listen to @cdoconn and get the small - the mediums are circus tents even for us oddly shaped hands folks

IMG_9677.JPG

Ordering them Tuesday (so it falls in August spending). Good to know.

Haha @SkiOtter I also have really long fingers/hands which is why I got the medium as well - I guess my fingers aren't as graceful and long as they used to be (or I thought they were). I'm sure they'll work :).

So I'm reading my orientation thing for Purdue (for like the fourth time) and we have one event called The Boiler Challenge that it kind of like a 2 hr obstacle course ("moving wooden planks, walking on cables, or balancing on a large platform that see saws" etc.) that is supposed to help with team building. So I'm just wondering if other schools do similar things during orientation and if not what kind of things other school do to help with team building, or maybe some don't at all?

So I'm reading my orientation thing for Purdue (for like the fourth time) and we have one event called The Boiler Challenge that it kind of like a 2 hr obstacle course ("moving wooden planks, walking on cables, or balancing on a large platform that see saws" etc.) that is supposed to help with team building. So I'm just wondering if other schools do similar things during orientation and if not what kind of things other school do to help with team building, or maybe some don't at all?
We do a two day Camp. Can't talk much about it, because participants aren't supposed to know the details beforehand (future students could be lurking!), but communication, team-building, etc are all part of it.

We had a mandatory orientation retreat the Monday to Wednesday before school started. Lots of activities meant for bonding, communication, etc. As someone who is very introverted, it was kind of awful, but I did meet a few people I'm really close with now. It definitely helped knowing some people the first day of school.

That sounds awesome. I doubt we have anything like that because our orientation is all inside, but I'm sure there's team building exercises!

We had a three day camp for orientation (called V.E.T.). It was absolutely the most amazing experience! We had teambuilding skills (obstacles and puzzles everyone had to get work together) through, wellness talks, communication talks, meet and greet professor/clinicians dinners, what "vet school will be like and how do you succeed" panels, and just plain ol' fun (water inflatables, high and low ropes course, now they have archery and paintball, etc). Honestly, it was the best three days ever, and it was nice to meet a lot of professors and classmates. (and this is all coming from a socially awkward person who hates forced group work who was initially dreading it).

That sounds awesome. I doubt we have anything like that because our orientation is all inside, but I'm sure there's team building exercises!

Our orientation was a ropes course. (Cool.) Outside. In Oklahoma. In August. (Not cool.)

Enough people like, passed out that they decided it was a bit much. Especially for the kids from Northern states who weren't used to our oppressive summers anyway.

So basically, no whining. Outside is worse.

Reactions: 3 users

My school does something called iVLE the Monday of orientation. However, I don't have any details on what it is like. It's optional, so I didn't go last year (it was my move in day) and I am not going this year (during the eclipse and least day I can earn a full days worth for my paychecks).

It caused some drama, actually. A new first year jokingly asked if we could move iVLE south a bit to get the full eclipse. Then a bunch of 2020 and few other years suggested to ditch it because it's not a big deal. So the dude running it had to go onto the 2020 page and tell everyone it was kinda rude to our sponsors to suggest ditching the event.

Our orientation was a ropes course. (Cool.) Outside. In Oklahoma. In August. (Not cool.)

Enough people like, passed out that they decided it was a bit much. Especially for the kids from Northern states who weren't used to our oppressive summers anyway.

I figured that was the case. Poor Northerners can't tough our summers. :laugh: I don't mind being outside in August but that's through years of conditioning. Rope courses are cool though- I always wanted to do the one at Redlands but never had the opportunity.

I spent my orientation sitting under various trees and other shady spots. Never made it on the ropes course. Too hot. Triple digits temps still should not exist. Too gross. And I was unable to remove any more clothes without getting kicked out of school. And I had to pee every ten seconds from guzzling water by the liter. I thought I was dying. But I didn't pass out so yay me?

Reactions: 4 users
We have a mandatory 3 day orientation too, and in one of the emails they mentioned a ropes course! I'm excited, and even though it's more humid than I'm used to, it should only be in the 80s max. They haven't given us a schedule or anything yet, so I have no idea what else will be involved.

We don't do anything like that, which I was happy about at the time, but maybe it would have been helpful! The most ice breaker-y thing we had to do was go up in front of everyone with a microphone and introduce ourselves and give a fun fact about us. Our orientation is lots of sitting and listening to people talk, getting our computers and learning how to use them, getting our first rabies vaccine, and there was a tour of the hospital. Oh, and there was a club fair, and a picnic with current students and faculty.

So... I'm looking at our class schedule and we have class at 6:30 am Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Mondays starting the 4th week... this can't be right can it??? :(:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the reply guys. I was curious about the different ways all the schools approach orientation.

We don't do anything like that, which I was happy about at the time, but maybe it would have been helpful! The most ice breaker-y thing we had to do was go up in front of everyone with a microphone and introduce ourselves and give a fun fact about us. Our orientation is lots of sitting and listening to people talk, getting our computers and learning how to use them, getting our first rabies vaccine, and there was a tour of the hospital. Oh, and there was a club fair, and a picnic with current students and faculty.
This sounds way worse than an obstacle course. I hate having to do this, I can never think of what to say.

So... I'm looking at our class schedule and we have class at 6:30 am Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Mondays starting the 4th week... this can't be right can it??? :(:rolleyes:
That blows. Is that on the Outlook schedule?

*internally cries*

Edit: checked cal, earliest start times I'm seeing is 7:30

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Ooooooh boy. That's rough. (I was complaining that for 4 days this semester we start at 8 instead of 9... I'll stop. RIP you)

I'm really bad with that. That's so bad. I usually try to go for a joke but still nope.
"Uhhhh... ok... hi. I'm Cdo and I like to party. Also I'm deaf"

We have a picnic/ tailgate thing set up for one of the nights by the lake with faculty the day orientation starts but idk... early socialization doesn't seem like a fun idea. :rofl:

I'm really bad with that. That's so bad. I usually try to go for a joke but still nope.

We have a picnic/ tailgate thing set up for one of the nights by the lake with faculty the day orientation starts but idk... early socialization doesn't seem like a fun idea. :rofl:
Hi I'm bjeh and I like to party

(Hot Rod fans??)

is it converting to your current timezone maybe? If you're in a different one, this could explain it

is it converting to your current timezone maybe? If you're in a different one, this could explain it

Just looked. I'm from Indiana and it doesn't have a time zone. I think (hope) it is a fluke.

Hi, I'm love2hunt, and I also like to party.

There's something else you like... No, love to do. I just can't remember at the moment. It's on the tip of my tongue.

Reactions: 5 users

I think mine was that I'm obsessed with Starbucks, it was super lame. :laugh:

And I would go to the picnic if I were you! If it's awkward you can always leave early. It's at least free food, right? Before the semester starts/early in the semester is the best time to socialize, before you get busy and everyone forms their little cliques.