Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for advice. I did just buy some snow boots to wear in Illinois next week :) I'm renting a car and driving from Chicago, so I will remember the no accelerating while turning advice. Haha!

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone going to end up in a completely different climate than they're used to when they go to vet school?

One thing I'm terrified about is having to deal with snow and ice in the winter. No matter where I end up, I will have to deal with some snow and freezing temperatures. I'm used to winters that stay in the 60s and we maybe have one ice/snow "storm" a year if we're lucky. How do people live with the cold?! I guess I will find out :confused: someone will have to teach me how to winter...

I've never completely changed climates, but I did go from NJ to Chicago for 2 years. Chicago winters were much worse than anything I had ever seen, and I survived. :)

My best friend from college grew up just outside the Bay Area, and we went to school in NJ. She had never really been around snow much before. She didn't have as much tolerance for cold as other people did, but it wasn't so bad. You do really adjust over time. Your body begins to get used to the cold, and before you know it, 55 degrees suddenly feels like spring. I promise. It happens. ;)

Just be sure to ask for advice so you can learn how to winter from people who've been wintering all their lives. If it's a really cold and snowy area, as in there's usually snow on the ground throughout most of the season, invest in some serious snow boots (my Timberlands have lasted 6 years now, and my feet never once got wet) and a good down coat. If it's windy at all, a longer coat that goes past your waist is better. Gloves or mittens are very important, and scarves are multipurpose. Gloves are better if you need a little dexterity, but mittens will keep your fingers a little warmer.

A space heater works wonders for keeping you warm indoors, and layers will keep you warm when you're outside but let you get comfortable inside. If sidewalks are icy, walk in the snow (with your awesome boots that you bought because you thought ahead!). If you can't avoid ice, use baby steps and distract yourself by thinking about why it just so happens that the one time you need to remember first year physics, the one time it'd actually be immediately useful to your actual real life and well being, you freaking can't remember a thing. If you have a car, make sure you have a brush/scraper dealybobber in it all the time because you never know when you might get snow and please, please, please, for the love of all that is good and holy, PLEASE clean off your whole car, including the roof, before driving around. And if you're going to be driving in snow and ice, read this profanity-laced but informative rant: http://adequateman.deadspin.com/how-to-drive-in-the-snow-in-a-regular-ass-car-without-1681902425

Lastly, it's okay to mutter under your breath and curse the snow and ice, talking to yourself like a crazy person. When I lived in western NY in a city that gets buried with snow from November through March, by the time March rolled around on that really bad year we had, seeing it snow made me legitimately angry. That's okay. Anger helps you shovel faster. Anger reminds you that you're still alive and haven't become a human icicle. And then when all the snow and ice go away, oh the pure joy you feel! :D Because spring will come, and you will be okay. Everything will be okay. And then when you go home to visit, it'll feel like you're in a sauna and you'll daydream about snow again.

Reactions: 3 users
I SUCK in the cold. I swear I'm the only person in Arizona that uses more energy in the winter than in the summer.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone going to end up in a completely different climate than they're used to when they go to vet school?

One thing I'm terrified about is having to deal with snow and ice in the winter. No matter where I end up, I will have to deal with some snow and freezing temperatures. I'm used to winters that stay in the 60s and we maybe have one ice/snow "storm" a year if we're lucky. How do people live with the cold?! I guess I will find out :confused: someone will have to teach me how to winter...

If you end up in KS I can teach you how to winter :cat:. Like pinkpuppy9 said, good coat, multiple pairs of thick socks, waterproof boots (they also sell waterproofing spray that actually works). If you don't want to buy the wiper fluid for your car you can buy de-icing fluid in cans at walmart in the car department! You just spray it when you need it. I always have an ice scraper in my car- even when it's not winter. If you have a small car, even though it's not convenient I recommend throwing a snow shovel in your back seat in the winter. I used to have really small car and this was VERY helpful. Also, make sure you leave early in case the roads are worse than they look. Oh, and avoid hills- that can be a problem in parts of Manhattan.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for advice. I did just buy some snow boots to wear in Illinois next week :) I'm renting a car and driving from Chicago, so I will remember the no accelerating while turning advice. Haha!

Do not worry about the people who know how to winter making fun of you either! After living in Colorado for 19 years and Nebraska for 5, I can't believe how mean people are about others struggling with snow! You do you! If your snow boots are the big, heavy duty ones, don't mind all the prissy girls laughing at them in their high heel, useless boots. You'll get used to it! As long as you don't make driving any worse than it needs to be, you'll be fine! Safety first!

I'm kind of disappointed that there's supposed to be snow during the Illinois interview. I was excited for a different state and hoping it would be good weather to enjoy in the new state. oh well!

Do not worry about the people who know how to winter making fun of you either! After living in Colorado for 19 years and Nebraska for 5, I can't believe how mean people are about others struggling with snow! You do you! If your snow boots are the big, heavy duty ones, don't mind all the prissy girls laughing at them in their high heel, useless boots. You'll get used to it! As long as you don't make driving any worse than it needs to be, you'll be fine! Safety first!

I'm kind of disappointed that there's supposed to be snow during the Illinois interview. I was excited for a different state and hoping it would be good weather to enjoy in the new state. oh well!
Seriously, though. Freshman year of undergrad, I had the cute boots from Payless. That didn't last long...the salt literally ate a hole straight through them. I know have a heavy duty pair of Skechers. Not expensive, but waterproof and super warm. Plus, once you're in vet school, your alongside people who have done barn calls in -20 degree nonsense. They don't dress in Uggs in the snow, either.

I live in New England, have lived here for the past 11 out of 12 years. I don't think I've owned a single pair of boots that I wore more than 1-2 days. It must be the Californian in me. If I weren't worried about frost bite, I would wear flip flops all year. My feet just get miserably cold. Still can't get myself to wear any boots. Since starting vet school, I started to just wear my large animal overboots over my sneakers when digging my car out of the snow.

I do rely heavily on my AWD vehicle with winter tires during the snowy months. Remote starter and heated seats are a godsend.

I had the same concern coming from Phoenix to my undergrad in Colorado. You get used to cold very quickly, luckily. Follow everyone else's advice in this thread and you'll be fine.

Seriously on the boots. I've always lived in PA (except for college) and I've never had good, warm snow boots until this year and it's been amazing. I actually really struggle in the winter because I don't want to wear layers on my walk to school because by the time I get there, I'm literally dripping in sweat and will continue to sweat until I've been at the school for like 15-20 minutes. It's disgusting.

I live in New England, have lived here for the past 11 out of 12 years. I don't think I've owned a single pair of boots that I wore more than 1-2 days. It must be the Californian in me. If I weren't worried about frost bite, I would wear flip flops all year. My feet just get miserably cold. Still can't get myself to wear any boots. Since starting vet school, I started to just wear my large animal overboots over my sneakers when digging my car out of the snow.

I do rely heavily on my AWD vehicle with winter tires during the snowy months. Remote starter and heated seats are a godsend.

This sounds so much like me. The purpose of my boots is to wear them outside in the snow/ice, once I get to where I can change them out, I change them out, right now to flats because I am on clinics, but if I could, I would wear flip flops. I like my flip flops. I may have even walked out in snow back in undergrad in flip flops a few times... think I even took the flip flop off and made a footprint in the snow because I am insane.

For those looking to buy warm clothes, try sierratradingpost (website). There are always coupons, and I have bought a ton of carhartt and columbia gear from them over the years. They have some good deals sometimes!

For those looking to buy warm clothes, try sierratradingpost (website). There are always coupons, and I have bought a ton of carhartt and columbia gear from them over the years. They have some good deals sometimes!
I second this. Sierra Trading Post is the BEST! Always have great deals and coupons!

I second this. Sierra Trading Post is the BEST! Always have great deals and coupons!

did-we-just-become-best-friends-yep.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Y'all are the best! Sounds like I will learn to survive and looks like I will be investing in some heavy duty winter clothes. My hands and toes are always icicles even in warm weather so boots and warm gloves are a must. I love boots, I even wear regular boots in the summer here in like 100 degree weather because I'm nuts.

Definitely will be looking into Sierra Trading Post since winter clothes are off season right now :)

Thanks everyone!!

Also if you start to slip, don't slam on the brakes! Turn your wheels in the direction you're heading and let the car slow down on its own.

Last edited:
Also didn't mean for weather advice to be my first post in this thread so I'll try again....
Penn here! Excited and overwhelmed already!:)

Reactions: 4 users
Carhartt coats and bib overalls are so nice to have in winter. As far as boots go, I wear muck boot company muck boots. They're not fashionable but they're warm, waterproof, and go up almost to my knees. As far as driving, when I was 16 my dad told me if there was a possibility of ice- to drive like I didn't have brakes.

I recommend a long coat. Almost everyone has one in Iowa (where I live) and they are SOOO warm. I have one similar to this, and Columbia always has amazing sales! It's a bit pricey, but if you're moving to where there's a cold winter (i.e. the Midwest), it's well worth the investment!

http://www.columbia.com/womens-apre...ctClass&prefv1=Women's&prefv2=Jackets&start=0
I wish they had that coat in a medium. I would totally get it. Looks so warm and it's cute. Gonna have to shop around for a long coat :)

I just got my first acceptance yesterday to VMRCVM and am so excited to be able to post in this thread with everyone else that is in the class of 2020!
I still have 1 interview left and 5 schools to hear from, but either way I am just thrilled to say I am actually going to a vet school in the fall!

Reactions: 10 users
I just got my first acceptance yesterday to VMRCVM and am so excited to be able to post in this thread with everyone else that is in the class of 2020!
I still have 1 interview left and 5 schools to hear from, but either way I am just thrilled to say I am actually going to a vet school in the fall!
Congrats!!!

I guess I can post here now, too! I was accepted to my IS and only school I applied to this week.

I'm still in shock. I fully expected to be applying again this fall. Eek, I'm actually going to vet school!

Reactions: 15 users
SUPER FREAKIN EXCITED. Midwestern c/o 2020!

and, in retrospect, super thankful im attending a university that is on the quarter system i wont be smacked in the face when I start MWU

that being said, off to take an exam! :bookworm:

Reactions: 5 users
I never thought I'd be posting here! But I just got the call from Mississippi State! We're gonna be doctors guys!!!

Reactions: 15 users
I CAN POST HERE NOW TOO!! Yeah 2020!!!

Reactions: 12 users
Congrats you guys!!! :biglove:

Reactions: 7 users
This is my third time applying and it's finally happening for me! I second the moving to a completely different climate thing. South Florida girl here and moving to Ohio! I just bought a ton of winter clothes on sale though . Thank you for all the winter advice! I need to learn how to winter too lol.:cold:

Reactions: 8 users
Oh, hey. I guess I can post here now and be part of the cool kids club.

Reactions: 12 users
Congrats to all of you joining our awesome class! :biglove:

Anyone having trouble deciding on a school? If it were just me - single, with no family obligations - I'd go for the cheapest school, hands down. But my situation is pretty complicated, and location matters a lot. Each of the two realistic options for us has its own serious negatives, and I'm kind of stuck unless we win the lottery. Being an adult sucks sometimes.

Reactions: 5 users

Anyone having trouble deciding on a school? If it were just me - single, with no family obligations - I'd go for the cheapest school, hands down. But my situation is pretty complicated, and location matters a lot. Each of the two realistic options for us has its own serious negatives, and I'm kind of stuck unless we win the lottery. Being an adult sucks sometimes.

Choices... It's a good problem to have ;) I hate that obligations would keep you from going to the cheapest school! You have two months to decide though, so you have a bit of time to figure things out.

I hear you....I'm torn between my instate (cheapest by far) and a couple other places that I think are better suited for me. It's a quandary. :/

I have three kids. My husband and I are separated and he's unwilling to move, his job is here. My kids deserve to be with both of us so I applied to one school only and hoped to get in. I did thankfully. Upon my research, it's an amazing school and I'm not worried about my education, in fact I think I have an advantage going there for multiple reasons. However, even though it's in state it's a private school and very expensive. This is a big worry for me but with their dad continuing to make plenty of money at his job he can cover all the kids' expenses and is willing to cover a few of mine (shocking!), hopefully minimizing my debt to some degree.

I'm not sure what your situation is but I know it's harder with family and spouses. I took a big risk of not getting in at all by applying to just one school.

Yeah, the debt is the scariest part! For this reason a lot of people I know only applied to our IS. They take 65 residents out of the 89 seats. It's weird because I was under the impression that IS was always the cheapest option but looking at the VIN map, I find out that NCSU is cheaper than a lot of schools. In addition, even for IS Penn is the most expensive American school. And Ross was wayyyyyy higher than I thought it was, though much of that was cost of living on the islands, which I'm sure can be managed. It's a really neat map that factors in cost of living and tuiton with very recent data. I can provide a link need be!

I'm in the exact same situation. Hugs all around! We will figure it out! :love:

Everyone just needs to come to Ohio. Cuz it's amazeballs. And cuz I said so. The end.

Reactions: 7 users
Yeah, the debt is the scariest part! For this reason a lot of people I know only applied to our IS. They take 65 residents out of the 89 seats. It's weird because I was under the impression that IS was always the cheapest option but looking at the VIN map, I find out that NCSU is cheaper than a lot of schools. In addition, even for IS Penn is the most expensive American school. And Ross was wayyyyyy higher than I thought it was, though much of that was cost of living on the islands, which I'm sure can be managed. It's a really neat map that factors in cost of living and tuiton with very recent data. I can provide a link need be!
Wait....your IS tuition is $50,ooo? Am I reading the website correctly?

You have me confused in two places. LSU is my IS and the figure I was referring to is combined IS tuiton for 4 years excluding cost of living.

I still laugh to myself sometimes when I think that I almost applied to Ohio, but didn't, because i happened to be applying during the one year they required ETS PPI :rolleyes:

I had never heard of that and had to look it up....weird! Looks almost like a crappier MMI....

Seems they're discontinuing it this summer.