Class of 2018...how you doin? ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LAST DAY OF VET SCHOOL EEEEVER! And we'll be doing cheetah cub and wolf cub exams! What a great way to wrap up this wild ride. Graduation on Wednesday! :banana:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Last day of veterinary school complete! Graduation next week, then on to residency! What a wild ride. I can hardly believe it's over. A strange mix of feelings of excitement (for what's to come), and sadness (for the people I'm leaving behind). Definitely a seminal experience that changed me. Couldn't be more grateful!

Reactions: 12 users
Having started with the class of 2018, I have to say I'm so proud of you guys!

Reactions: 2 users
Last day of veterinary school complete! Graduation next week, then on to residency! What a wild ride. I can hardly believe it's over. A strange mix of feelings of excitement (for what's to come), and sadness (for the people I'm leaving behind). Definitely a seminal experience that changed me. Couldn't be more grateful!

Seminal.... :rofl:

Done with clinics, and graduation Friday!

No more SOAPing, no more rounds, no more late-night shifts with hounds!
im-free-gif-26.gif

Reactions: 11 users
I'm away on externship right now, so unfortunately didn't get to go to the awards banquet tonight, but apparently I won the American College of Veterinary Radiology Award :D

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats, c/o 2018! We did it :) Hope that your graduation day and celebration were as special/memorable as mine. Off to the next adventure!

Reactions: 6 users
Finally made it! Last day of vet school! It still doesn’t feel real.

Reactions: 10 users
Not to be creeperish or anything but I have read your guys' entire thread and followed you on your journey from Year 1 to your graduation. As someone who is starting vet school in August, I can't thank you enough for sharing your stories on this thread as it has given me such a wonderful window into what vet school actually is and it made me feel like I was on the journey with you. Congratulations on all of your incredible accomplishments! I can't wait to be where you guys are in 4 years!!! Good luck (you don't need it) and I look forward to updates from you over the years! :love:

Reactions: 3 users
Not to be creeperish or anything but I have read your guys' entire thread and followed you on your journey from Year 1 to your graduation. As someone who is starting vet school in August, I can't thank you enough for sharing your stories on this thread as it has given me such a wonderful window into what vet school actually is and it made me feel like I was on the journey with you. Congratulations on all of your incredible accomplishments! I can't wait to be where you guys are in 4 years!!! Good luck (you don't need it) and I look forward to updates from you over the years! :love:

Aww, I love this! Congratulations to you too! Good luck over the next four years, it will be challenging but worth it, and I know you'll do great :)

Reactions: 1 user
Day 2 working ER as a fully fledged baby vet.. HOLY COW IT'S CRAY-CRAY, and the impostor syndrome is REAL, but is it even crazier that I am enjoying it 123847352723 times more than clinics?

How's everyone else doing post school?

Day 2 working ER as a fully fledged baby vet.. HOLY COW IT'S CRAY-CRAY, and the impostor syndrome is REAL, but is it even crazier that I am enjoying it 123847352723 times more than clinics?

How's everyone else doing post school?

Just moved into my new house in Ohio! Internship starts in two weeks!

My hubby and I got our first checks as DVMs!! Whoo!

Of course, now we are instantly wondering about loans... does anyone who has recently gone through setting up payments for loans be willing to PM/help us start this monster of a process? How do we find out how to start making payments? We know we don't officially have to start paying yet but we want to start right away, the only problem is we have no idea where to start.

You can PM me if you’d like. Some servicers won’t let you pay during your grace period unless you consolidate, but I have FedLoan Servicing and they took my money during the grace period. Also if you have a VIN account Tony on there will help you figure out which plan is best/how to tackle them if you post in their student debt forum. Everyone I’ve seen post on there seems really happy with his help.

The federal student loans page actually does a decent job with info as well.

Side note: did your school not go over this with you guys??

The federal student loans page actually does a decent job with info as well.

Side note: did your school not go over this with you guys??
The basics, sure. And we went over all the repayment plans and all of that- I just didn't know the fine print logistics of making payments during the grace period.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a financial planner/advisor who is able to counsel someone one on one? I would just love to be able to talk to a real human about loans stuff, even if it costs me some $$.

they gave me 2 additional weeks off a year on top of vacation/ce/personal time to use for short-term mission trips! :soexcited:
Wow that’s great. How did it work negotiating for volunteer time off? I would like to do that in the future if it’s an option so I can use my español skills en Baja on medical mission trips

Wow that’s great. How did it work negotiating for volunteer time off? I would like to do that in the future if it’s an option so I can use my español skills en Baja on medical mission trips

I just told them this was something important to me and asked if they would be willing to give me the additional time off. Another clinic I interviewed at had asked me what I was looking for in a contract package and I let them know I was interested in additional time off for missions. They offered me a week off for missions.

Just don’t be afraid to ask. I’ve been told if you ask for time off for mission trips you’ll be surprised what your workplace will be willing to do

How's my c/o 2018 fam doing? How is everyone adjusting to a new place and/or a new job?

Personally, I'm loving ER. The surgeries, the critical care, the fast pace, all of which are fantastic. However, I'm really struggling with impostor syndrome and leaving work at work. I'm having nightly nightmares about messing up and it's screwing with my sleep schedule :(. But then again, switching from days to swing to nights back to days might be doing that too..

How's my c/o 2018 fam doing? How is everyone adjusting to a new place and/or a new job?

Personally, I'm loving ER. The surgeries, the critical care, the fast pace, all of which are fantastic. However, I'm really struggling with impostor syndrome and leaving work at work. I'm having nightly nightmares about messing up and it's screwing with my sleep schedule :(. But then again, switching from days to swing to nights back to days might be doing that too..

Oh man, I'm pretty sure I'll be having ER nightmares shortly too. We're on week 2 of orientation and start actually doctoring on Sunday. I start on overnight ER :dead:

I'm really enjoying the job so far! I get to see exotics every day, so it's keeping me happy. We're discussing adding house calls to my schedule so I can go see clients that have exotic hoofstock, big snakes, big cats, etc. Texas is a weird place, ha. I have really supportive doctors and staff, and there's always at least 2 other docs in the clinic at all times, so I can ask questions and get second opinions. Also the money has been super nice and so is having my own place after so many years!

+1 for the imposter syndrome. It still sounds weird to be called doctor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'm really enjoying the job so far! I get to see exotics every day, so it's keeping me happy. We're discussing adding house calls to my schedule so I can go see clients that have exotic hoofstock, big snakes, big cats, etc. Texas is a weird place, ha. I have really supportive doctors and staff, and there's always at least 3 of us in the clinic at all times, so I can always ask questions and get second opinions. Also the money has been super nice and so is having my own place after so many years!

+1 for the imposter syndrome. It still sounds weird to be called doctor.

Omg the first time I had to introduce myself to the students as Dr. Allygator it was soooooo weird

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely agree on the imposter syndrome

Loving my clinic. They’re working me in really slow. I’m shadowing the other doctors and seeing well visits and whatever else I’m comfortable seeing myself. I’ll start seeing my own appointments after I’ve been in the clinic about a month

Imposter syndrome hit on the PhD side too, but it's gotten better now that I realize it's there. It was a bigger shift than I thought to get over not having grades anymore. Sure, there'll be some graded classes, but the research assistantship, projects, and independent learning associated with them are more important right now.

Currently I have masses of writing that need to get done. You can tell because I'm procrastinating on here. On the bright side, almost finished with my project from the last 2 years!

I'm really loving the clinic I'm at. All the doctors are super supportive as are the support staff. I have a few hours on Thursdays where I'm the only doctor in the evening. All the docs have checked in with me and made sure I knew I can call them anytime and they are willing to come in if I need them. Plus my boss has been in the building the last couple times as back-up in case I need her. We also had a fun time at our staff meeting today trying to build the tallest towers with spaghetti, tape, and string. It had to be free standing and have a marshmallow on top.

Yesterday was a great day too. My first appointment was a very happy wiggly puppy who possibly (they were really unsure) ate a nickel sized plastic hamburger. The little boy with the owner gave me a clover flower :love:

I also had my first client request me specifically. I've seen the puppy twice before. He's head shy and particular about where he's fine getting vaccines but otherwise nice. I think she requested me because I told her last time I was making notes of what worked well and didn't work well for him

And I now have my picture for appointments that request me. Every doctor has a different animal with their name. I know it's not a caribou but it's cute. 'Dr. Karabou' is above the head

IMG_20180726_172053263.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Tomorrow I start my last rotation which is an externship at the practice I will start working at in October. So this all feels super weird and stressful even though there are only like 12 days between me and being done vet school!

Reactions: 5 users
Tomorrow I start my last rotation which is an externship at the practice I will start working at in October. So this all feels super weird and stressful even though there are only like 12 days between me and being done vet school!
I know it's scary, but you'll be great, plus it will be a great introduction to the clinic you'll be working at!

Just got home from a week in the Caribbean enjoying my graduation present to an email stating that my early graduation date went through soooo I'm officially a vet! WOO!

Reactions: 9 users
I start my job tomorrow and I'm basically losing it.

Reactions: 5 users
How's everyone doing now 5-6 months out?! I submitted all my residency applications during my overnight shift last night :scared: Terrifying.

How's everyone doing now 5-6 months out?! I submitted all my residency applications during my overnight shift last night :scared: Terrifying.
Great! I feel like I am the odd one out to say I am happy and like I know what's going on more often than not. Also enjoying emergency 100x more than I anticipated and have gotten to do some cool solo surgeries already so overall I'm happy!