Class of 2018...how you doin? ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
tumblr_o0hav8YTDN1uzrrkro1_500.gif

NAVLE done!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. Good luck!
HAIL no but good luck :D

p.s. I survived Emergency & Critical care yall! Now all the "big bad" rotations are behind me :D
Heck no, but good luck to you guys that are doing match!!

Also yay zensing!

Haha thanks! :) It's super not fun trying to coordinate internship locations with where my military fiance might get stationed.... Fingers crossed it works out in our favor!

I'm having the time of my life on this ECC externship. :love::love::love:

You know, it wasn't until I got away from the toxic environment that is school that I realized how jaded, depressed (I mean like clinical depression...), and frustrated I was becoming. Turns out, I still love vet med (especially ECC of course :love: ), despite what school wants me to believe.

To whoever is flailing, hang in there. There are better things outside of school. We are almost done folks!!

Reactions: 7 users

You know, it wasn't until I got away from the toxic environment that is school that I realized how jaded, depressed (I mean like clinical depression...), and frustrated I was becoming. Turns out, I still love vet med (especially ECC of course :love: ), despite what school wants me to believe.

To whoever is flailing, hang in there. There are better things outside of school. We are almost done folks!!

I wish I could like this more! The 8 weeks I spent away from the school were the most refreshing weeks of my entire 4th year experience. I came back to the hospitals with a much better attitude and made me super excited to get done and out into the real world. I mean, I know private practice won't be without its numerous issues, too, but damn am I tired of academia right now.

Reactions: 1 user

This is why I've loved my large animal rotations so much more. The environment in the barn vs the small animal hospital is so much better. I always dread going back to the small animal hospital after a large animal rotation. Plus being in the barn means I get to hang out with @Filly Bay!

Reactions: 1 users
Kinda jealous of my equine classmates who already have their internships all figured out.......

This next week of Equine Surgery (Ortho/Soft Tissue/Sports Med) is not gonna be fun times for me. I love horses, but don't particularly enjoy horse medicine and definitely do not like horsey surgery. Blegh. Hoping all the clinicians and residents will be lenient since it's a mini-rotation + Christmas.

And the week after next is when I start job interviews! Eek!

Members don't see this ad :)
HolycowI'msoexcited!!!! Interview with my top internship choice was amazing and they told me that there's room for me to do a PhD too. I've been walking on air all day (even though I'm on shift through the holiday and everyone is bringing in all the euthanasias).

Reactions: 2 users
TheTwilightZoneLogo.png

First real day of ultrasound rotation yesterday, and I got asked why I was hanging around after 4:30p. Apparently,

1. Hours are 9a-4:30p, barring rumor of impending doom in another department requiring a late-afternoon ultrasound or having early morning (hospital-wide) rounds that day.
___(a.) There are no early morning rounds this week because half of the hospital is on break.
___(b.)No, don't come in at 8am to round with the regular radiology students because that isn't your rotation and you'll get these lectures later.
2. I am not to draft reports for the ultrasound like I do patient discharges in other departments; I am only to record findings during the exam so that the radiologist can write the report.
3. There is no end-of-rotation exam, but instead a take-home to be completed over the three weeks.

I felt scared because surely there's more responsibilities and work to do, and I need to know what those are because I really don't want to get yelled at because I'm not doing enough... then I caught up with my thoughts and realized that I don't recognize or trust the concept of "free time when on rotations" anymore. I'm kind of sad that I've reached that point :(

Rationally, it's nice to have a break every once in a while. And there's always computer work for research in the mornings (this is a good rotation to get caught up on that). I just hadn't realized my tunnel vision had gotten so strong.

Anyone else feel something similar?

Just looked at my calendar. 17 weeks left until graduation. What. the. eff. And only 3 rotations left in hospital...this is madness!

Hey guys, long time no post... Snooping back through past year's threads, it looks like NAVLE results came out January 12 last year and January 11 the year before. Has anyone heard anything?? Not that I particularly want to know, but I need to know when I should make a junk food run to eat away my feelings.

giphy.gif

I havent heard anything specific... but I sure hope we find out soon because I'm pretty sure the stress of not knowing if I passed or not is giving me an ulcer. :dead:

I havent heard anything specific... but I sure hope we find out soon because I'm pretty sure the stress of not knowing if I passed or not is giving me an ulcer. :dead:
Seriously... and I'm on anesthesia which is the most anxiety inducing topic for me so that plus remembering every 12 minutesthat NAVLE results come out soon = constantly feeling like I'm going to vomit +/- have a heart attack and die.

It'll be okay. Even if you don't pass the first time, it is seriously not the end of the world. Some of my classmates had to do the re-take in April, and not necessarily classmates that I would have in any way predicted not passing (as in, some of them were much smarter than I am). Yes it would totally suck and be a big dent to the finances to take it again but there are worse things in life. Plus, you'll probably all pass anyway.

Don't give yourself stress ulcers about it :p At this point you can't change it anyway so why worry? Hakuna matata. :)

I think they said results were supposed to come out ~4 wks after the testing window, which was last Friday (Jan 5th). So, any day now.

Yes, I'm checking my email obsessively too.

How is everyone structuring their resumes? (If someone could PM me a sample one I would love you forever and might even ship you real yummy cookies).

Do you list your externships? Do you list anything really out there/cool you got to do? Like I have a ton of surgical procedures I have done/assisted in... do I put that, and where?

Sorry for all the questions, apparently I forget how a basic resume works :laugh:

It'll be okay. Even if you don't pass the first time, it is seriously not the end of the world. Some of my classmates had to do the re-take in April, and not necessarily classmates that I would have in any way predicted not passing (as in, some of them were much smarter than I am). Yes it would totally suck and be a big dent to the finances to take it again but there are worse things in life. Plus, you'll probably all pass anyway.

Don't give yourself stress ulcers about it :p At this point you can't change it anyway so why worry? Hakuna matata. :)

Ha. So much easier to say that having passed and graduated.

... but she's right.

Seriously, people, if I can pass you likely will too. And if you don't, you will next time.

There were 2 people in my class who didn't. One of them was my first choice for someone who wouldn't, and the other absolutely stunned me. It's unpredictable.

How is everyone structuring their resumes? (If someone could PM me a sample one I would love you forever and might even ship you real yummy cookies).

Do you list your externships? Do you list anything really out there/cool you got to do? Like I have a ton of surgical procedures I have done/assisted in... do I put that, and where?

Sorry for all the questions, apparently I forget how a basic resume works :laugh:
If you pm me your email I can chuck you mine. It was two pages and broke a couple typical resume rules but got me good results.

I could offer mine, but considering I haven't had a single externship yet, I guess it doesn't count. Would the cover letter be a better place to bring up those things? I'm honestly curious since I'm going to need to know this in just one year. :eek::nailbiting:

You can list your externships/elective rotations, but I recommend you only do so if they are relevant to the job to which you are applying. For example, I did a small ruminant elective, but didn't list it because I was applying to SA jobs.
It is a good idea to list procedures you feel comfortable doing (alone).
I can send you my resume if you give me your email.

You can list your externships/elective rotations, but I recommend you only do so if they are relevant to the job to which you are applying. For example, I did a small ruminant elective, but didn't list it because I was applying to SA jobs.

FWIW, I think the above is probably pretty good advice.

I personally didn't list any externships, but on the flip side, the place that came after me for a job was a place I had externed at, so they already knew that. I still think PSILT's advice is decent.

If you do list procedures, I would keep it pretty short - stick with the common ones that you'd be expected to know how to do. Nobody wants to sit and read a list of procedures a mile long and, quite frankly, if I were evaluating a candidate and they were going on and on about all these procedures they're comfortable doing as a new grad .... I'd call B.S., roll my eyes, and be concerned that their ego might outsize their competency. New grads should have some comfort with some procedures, but if they claim a high degree of comfort with too much then they most likely aren't self-evaluating well.

I passed, therefore;

any of you poopheads can pass.

Just a couple more days and you'll all know for sure, and if you did pass (which most of you will) then it's the start to that nice, gentle slope down to GTFOville and Graduation Town.

I passed, therefore;

any of you poopheads can pass.

Just a couple more days and you'll all know for sure, and if you did pass (which most of you will) then it's the start to that nice, gentle slope down to GTFOville and Graduation Town.

Nice, gentle slope?

I dunno 'bout you, but the slope for me once I knew I passed was more cliff-like. "Oh, I passed? Well, there goes every last !@#% I had to give."

Me being inpatient for NAVLE scores like:

ak55JOj.gif

Reactions: 5 users
I'm so disappointed... I am going home this weekend for the first time since starting clinics and I was hoping I would get to be home to either cry to my family and friends or celebrate with them. But I come back Monday and I'm sure there is zero chance of results being released on a business holiday. Wah.

If you pm me your email I can chuck you mine. It was two pages and broke a couple typical resume rules but got me good results.

Would you guys mind sending me your resumes as well? All I have is a CV and I'm not sure how to condense that effectively into a resume :)

This sentence posted by Anita on the ICVA Discussion Board:

"Since we are closed on Monday for the Martin Luther King Jr. Day holiday, this means start checking your e-mails on Tuesday."

My heart fell into my butt. Please don't let it be a tease! :nailbiting:

My rotations never fail to schedule me for weekend duty on the one weekend of the rotation I want free :bang: Here's to hoping that a rotationmate will switch with me! Again!

I don't know if it'll be the same for you guys, but on the day the scores were released, my scores (maybe everyone's) were available to view long before the email ever came out. Either way, good luck and don't fret if you don't get the news you're hoping for.

I don't know if it'll be the same for you guys, but on the day the scores were released, my scores (maybe everyone's) were available to view long before the email ever came out. Either way, good luck and don't fret if you don't get the news you're hoping for.

Just tried...it said no active documents were available. Do you happen to remember when you got the email?

I PASSED! :soexcited:

Oh, thank Jeebus! I was seriously stressing about having to come up with another $600+ that I did not have.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 16 users
I PASSED! :soexcited:

Oh, thank Jeebus! I was seriously stressing about having to come up with another $600+ that I did not have.

Good luck everyone!
CONGRATS!!!

What link did you use to access it??

I'm looking on ICVA and can't quite find it, where were the scores?

Nevermind, I found it!!

PASSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

hfma.gif

Reactions: 20 users