Class of 2018...how you doin? ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yay class of 2018!! Such a beautiful even number. Those lovely lady lumps on the eight haha.

In other news, I've never been apartment shopping before and I have no idea what I'm doing. 99% sure I'm going to end up in either a closet or a meth lab...
Will the meth lab accept huskies?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My question is.. should we start studying now?? Haha :bookworm:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

If anyone in this thread asks what they should study this summer, i'mma e-slap them.

Enjoy your damn summer. You will study plenty when the time comes, REGARDLESS of any studying you attempt to do in advance.

So just don't do it.

Reactions: 11 users
If anyone in this thread asks what they should study this summer, i'mma e-slap them.

Enjoy your damn summer. You will study plenty when the time comes, REGARDLESS of any studying you attempt to do in advance.

So just don't do it.

Haha totally just kidding, don't e-slap me! :p

No no no! I refuse! We will be doing that for 4 consecutive years lol

So just don't do it.

Listen to your fellow classmate (erm, yearmate?) and TT.

Do not study. Just don't do it. You will have plenty of time to pull your hair out studying when school starts. Besides the fact that you wouldn't even be able to know what you should study first and what exactly to study. Just enjoy your summer. Swim, drink, take a vacation, etc.

Don't worry! I'll be doing this all summer...
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1393609762.071862.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
AH this thread is so exciting! Yay class of 2018! We're going to vet school :love:

Reactions: 3 users
I just got off the phone with one of the faculty at Tufts and I'm beaming right now - just getting so excited the more I hear about vet school and about Tufts in particular too.

Will the meth lab accept huskies?
I think huskies look fearsome enough for a meth lab, so maybe. ;) A German shepherd or Rottweiler would be better, but they'll have to

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it bad that one of the reasons I'm most excited about vet school is imagining all the pets I could potentially get now that I'm not living with my mom/in a school dorm?

I'm doing the same thing :p I can't really bring my cat with me, so instead, I want to adopt a dog eventually.

I'm doing the same thing :p I can't really bring my cat with me, so instead, I want to adopt a dog eventually.

SAME.

I can't bring my dog (haven't had her with me since undergrad) and have no idea how much time I'll have to spend with a dog, so a smart person would probably get a cat instead. BUT I WANT A DOG SO BADLY

im thinking of adopting a cat! but I'm going to wait a semester to see how much time I can commit to taking care of a pet in vet school

I can't manage a dog (I could, but it would need to be a very low maintenance dog and I'm not ready to gamble on that just yet). I did end up with a cat though. She's staring at me as we speak. Just wait until you get to vet school; within days your classmates will be saying things like, "Hey, this clinic/shelter I know just got a bunch of kittens in and they can't manage, can anyone foster?"

I'm having the same issue everyone is telling me where ever is cheapest and to go with my gut. But honestly how am I suppose to know after only spending a few hours at each school....I got into my IS but I also want out of FL so I just don't know. For you id go with weather but I'm a wimp when it comes to the cold!! Good luck!
Don't go to FL! Give me your seat!!!! xD

im thinking of adopting a cat! but I'm going to wait a semester to see how much time I can commit to taking care of a pet in vet school
Haha that's probably way smarter than me, I'm bringing a dog a cat and maybe 2 horses.

ERMAHGERD yes. I graduated high school '08 and college '12. I like even numbers. A tiny part of me is relieved I didn't get in last year 'cause I would have to be c/o 2017 :rolleyes:

I've been spending WAY too much time looking at apartments...
HAHA so my BIRTHDAY is

xx/18/198x ;) so 18 is like MY NUMBER I was so stoked when I realized I would have all sorts of gear with DVM '18 on it!

BTW congrats to you on getting into NCSU!!!!!!!! :happy:

Is it bad that one of the reasons I'm most excited about vet school is imagining all the pets I could potentially get now that I'm not living with my mom/in a school dorm?

You sound like me. Two days after my mom had left town I drove an hour and a half out of town to buy a pair of new birds. And then didn't tell my parents until they walked into my apartment at Thanksgiving ;). But be careful about what kinds/how many pets you get. Daily time requirements aside, right now I'm having trouble finding a petsitter for part of spring break (only two weeks away...) when I'm going out of town for a spay/neuter clinic. And part of me's kinda wishing that I didn't have a special needs animal that requires daily attention... Not to be a downer, of course... go fill your home with furry/feathery/scaly/exoskeletony joy! (Okay, maybe not the last one... arthropods are freaky...)

And congrats class of 2018! You've accomplished an awesome thing!

Reactions: 3 users
But be careful about what kinds/how many pets you get. Daily time requirements aside, right now I'm having trouble finding a petsitter for part of spring break (only two weeks away...) when I'm going out of town for a spay/neuter clinic.

I was going to mention something about this same thing. I had quite a difficult time finding someone to watch my two rats for this upcoming Easter break while I am on an externship. I finally found someone to take them for the first two weeks and someone else to take them for the last two weeks. Not the most ideal situation but it was better than trying to find a place that will board rats...

I was going to mention something about this same thing. I had quite a difficult time finding someone to watch my two rats for this upcoming Easter break while I am on an externship. I finally found someone to take them for the first two weeks and someone else to take them for the last two weeks. Not the most ideal situation but it was better than trying to find a place that will board rats...

Along this same line...sometimes finding pet friendly housing can be difficult...especially with breed or size restrictions. Just something to keep in mind as I am currently looking for a new place and the pet friendly listings are slim pickings right now.

I also sympathize with you guys about petsitting. Our class tends to be pretty good about helping each other out, but having an "odd" pet (say, like a cockatoo...) can make things harder.

Congrats guys! Enjoy your summers. Remember how you are feeling right now. You will need that feeling over the next 4 years. Also, don't forget to have fun while in school. Your friends will save your sanity.

I also sympathize with you guys about petsitting. Our class tends to be pretty good about helping each other out, but having an "odd" pet (say, like a cockatoo...) can make things harder.
If I was your classmate, I would petsit for your cockatoo any day! :p

I'm sure I'm going to have a hard time finding a petsitter for my birds too.

If I was your classmate, I would petsit for your cockatoo any day! :p

I'm sure I'm going to have a hard time finding a petsitter for my birds too.

Same, I would love to sit your cockatoo! I'm looking at getting a bird for vet school and I'm super excited! But I am worried about things like this.

Same, I would love to sit your cockatoo! I'm looking at getting a bird for vet school and I'm super excited! But I am worried about things like this.

Thanks you guys!

Dalmationdoc, honestly I would discourage you from doing that, especially if you're not totally familiar with them. PM me if you'd like to chat about it.

I might be bringing my cat, but I'm so worried he'll become insulin-dependent again. It would be tough trying to regulate a diabetic cat (who does not like to eat in meals, of course) while being at school so much of the day.

I feel like there are enough "bird people" in an average vet school class (not to mention students from other years) that you can find someone if you look really hard... the trouble is finding someone that's actually available when you'll be gone... which is the problem I'm having with spring break.

HAHA so my BIRTHDAY is

xx/18/198x ;) so 18 is like MY NUMBER I was so stoked when I realized I would have all sorts of gear with DVM '18 on it!

BTW congrats to you on getting into NCSU!!!!!!!! :happy:

Aw, thanks! It still feels surreal :p

Thanks you guys!

Dalmationdoc, honestly I would discourage you from doing that, especially if you're not totally familiar with them. PM me if you'd like to chat about it.

Oh no worries, I'm very familiar with birds (including all the attention they need), but thanks for the offer! And I wouldn't get anything super high maintenance like a Grey or a Cockatoo...more like a Linnie :p

Last edited:
Now this topic is making me worried! I have been living alone for a very long time now and I've had my cats for +7years and will not get rid of them. Is it common to be gone far away on externships during vet school or is it more the student's choice/dependent on the school? If I do have to be gone I can always take my babies to stay at my parents, but I was just curious. If I was younger and still living with my parent/in a dorm then I would definitely NOT get any new pets until I figured out the situation, but this is not the case and now I'm worried.

My school makes you do at least a couple external rotations but they don't tell you where to go. So if you want to stay local you can provided you can find a clinic to host you. Some people stay close, some take it as an opportunity to travel. Personally, I'm hoping to specialize so I'm choosing to go to schools I'd like a residency at to get a feel for them. I'm trying to take my dog with me most places but my parents or friends will keep him if necessary.

I'm finally home and got to look at my acceptance letter in person. I'm actually thinking about framing it and taking it with me to school. Is that just weird/obnoxious? Cause lezzbehonest, things aren't going to be all daisies and rainbows in 7 months and it would be nice to see the letter and remind myself of the hard work and tears it took to get here. :oops::rolleyes:

EDIT

The SO says it's a little obnoxious. But since when do I listen to him? ;)

Reactions: 6 users
So...I know I'm a little late, but I was seriously hoping someone would make this thread.

Looking forward to keeping up with the many adventures of the Class of 2018 :D - congrats future veterinarians!!! We've made it in!!!

Crazy talk.
Haha...I promise it not all it's cracked up to be. Days like today yea sure because the weather is perfect but dealing with 90% of the people...definitely not worth it, especially this time of year!!!

I'm finally home and got to look at my acceptance letter in person. I'm actually thinking about framing it and taking it with me to school. Is that just weird/obnoxious? Cause lezzbehonest, things aren't going to be all daisies and rainbows in 7 months and it would be nice to see the letter and remind myself of the hard work and tears it took to get here. :oops::rolleyes:

EDIT

The SO says it's a little obnoxious. But since when do I listen to him? ;)

I would totally frame my letter if it wasn't so lame. It was just like "we're offering you a seat" and the rest of it was directions on how to accept it lol

I framed my Mizzou letter and hung it on my wall at home (though, it got boxed up when my room was packed up by my family this year...)

My letter is on my fridge :p

I still haven't received my acceptance letter from Auburn. Just an email and it never said anything about sending a letter. Do all schools send a letter? I would really like one!

I still haven't received my acceptance letter from Auburn. Just an email and it never said anything about sending a letter. Do all schools send a letter? I would really like one!
LSU never sent me a letter, or even a personal email that I was accepted, just a change on the status system.

I got a letter, but I'm in-state. It took a little while.

I'm still waiting on my IS, which only sends out letters and nothing else... :whistle:. So I'll either be in NC or in Ohio!

I framed mine! Granted, it was a cheapo frame, nothing fancy. And it was actually just a print out of an email attachment, I didn't get an actual paper letter :(. I had it hanging up at home before I left, but now it kinda sits at the back of a bookshelf half hidden behind a pile of important papers I've been meaning to file for about a year now... but I can still turn around and glance at it when I'm hardly studying... er, I mean, studying hard. ;)

So...I know I'm a little late, but I was seriously hoping someone would make this thread.

Looking forward to keeping up with the many adventures of the Class of 2018 :D - congrats future veterinarians!!! We've made it in!!!

And congrats on finding a place! Not to mention with such an amicable tution!