Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship Application Thread 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if you're able to change AAMC ID's on NRMP? For some reason, I was registered in NRMP with my AAMC ID from residency applications, but I have a different AAMC ID for fellowship applications.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if you're able to change AAMC ID's on NRMP? For some reason, I was registered in NRMP with my AAMC ID from residency applications, but I have a different AAMC ID for fellowship applications.
If you go to your profile in the NRMP you can change your AAMC ID.

wanted to know if people have opinions/information with the programs they are interviewing at! I feel I've sometime seen these in the interview threads before once interviews start hitting the ground

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interview at Mt. Sinai (Elmhurst) or SUNY Downstate? Is there call and are they malignant sounding

wanted to know if people have opinions/information with the programs they are interviewing at! I feel I've sometime seen these in the interview threads before once interviews start hitting the ground
You know what would be great I know It’s rare in psych in general and even rarer in child but has anyone heard about programs to avoid? Ones with malignant or worrisome reputations.

Unless things have changed rather drastically, I think previous years info is likely going to be better than what we're getting access to. Virtual interviews aren't really a great way to get a feel for culture etc. I mean, if something looks totally off then that's troubling, but they can be curated significantly more than in person visits... which are already of limited utility imho.

Though, I guess that stuff for fellowship is different than residency, atleast for CAP.

CAP programs can be much better and they can be much worse than the general adult programs. Virtual interviews make it difficulty to judge the culture of a program, but live interviews where not much better so I don't think things will ever go back to the good old days. It is all about costs and time. I think that a bad adult program does have a lower chance of being associated with a good child program, but a good adult program is no guarantee that the associated child program is worth a pinch of owl dung.

Reactions: 2 users
It's hard for CAP programs to be downright malignant. Sure, some of them probably work you harder than necessary, but I would think even the "bad" CAP programs are probably still leagues better than the truly awful adult residencies.

Anyone interview at Mt. Sinai (Elmhurst) or SUNY Downstate? Is there call and are they malignant sounding

Downstate seemed okay, definitely not really busy but inpatient heavy if that's your cup of tea. Pretty psychosocially/economically impoverished population.

When should we send a letter of intent? It does seem uncommon compared to residency matches, but I just wanted to do so

When should we send a letter of intent? It does seem uncommon compared to residency matches, but I just wanted to do so

Send it whenever you intend to.

Jokes aside, I'm planning on doing it towards the end of the month/early next month.

Last edited:
I canceled the last of my interviews because I didn't really think it made sense for me to do them given how my list shook up. Hope it doesn't bite me in the behind.

But I guess I'm done the interview season now. What an anticlimactic way to end it.

Reactions: 1 users
I canceled the last of my interviews because I didn't really think it made sense for me to do them given how my list shook up. Hope it doesn't bite me in the behind.

But I guess I'm done the interview season now. What an anticlimactic way to end it.
Yeah thanks to virtual interviews I am almost done with interview season as well and really considering cancelling almost all of the last few interviews. All of the remaining programs but 2 will be below my home program which was offering me a spot outside of the match if I wanted it so what's the point of going on them?

Members don't see this ad :)
for some reason some programs interview till end of Nov and early Dec... -_-. My last is on Nov 30th >_<

That's wild that they go so late. All my interview offers were for mid sept through mid October. That includes the ones I canceled.

But a lot of yall applied to wayyyy more places than I did.

Good luck to all of us. Good luck to you folks that are still going. Godspeed and more power to you... Honestly!

@DOBound2019
I felt that way too. Canceled one for that reason and two for geography. I felt like doing the latter two would only make my inner conflict worse so...

Just got a rejection email from a place that offered me an interview invitation a couple of months ago (and that I ended up declining/withdrawing from) 👀

• Haha
  • Hmm
Just got a rejection email from a place that offered me an interview invitation a couple of months ago (and that I ended up declining/withdrawing from) 👀
Honestly you just have to laugh at that. They seem salty I suppose 😂

Ah yes. Everyone fondly remembers that one ex that begged you to get back with them just so they could be the one to break up with you.

• Haha
So uh... rank lists open tomorrow at noon.

Yall done interviewing yet? Jeez. Hurry the F up!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Haha
III

I’ll be honest I am super jealous of my IM friends who match December 1st.

I don't understand why it needs to take two months from ranking to matching.
Have the deadline in mid Nov and release early to mid Dec.

So much waiting...

I don't understand why it needs to take two months from ranking to matching.
Have the deadline in mid Nov and release early to mid Dec.

So much waiting...
Especially when there is no robust SOAP or anything for them prepare for which is their excuse with general residency.

We should revisit this idea. My number 1 is very clear but like 2-7 is really jumbled up. I loved all my interviews no program really gave me bad vibes and they all seem to have everything I am looking for. Virtual has made it much harder to really get that gut feeling about places. Maybe a separate thread where we could ask about program A vs B or so forth would be helpful.

Last edited:
Honestly, it's two years. Pick based on location, call schedule, and research vs community strength depending on what you're into.

You're more likely to practice in the area where you finish training because you have so many more connections there so if you train somewhere you feel youd enjoy living longer term, that's a huge bonus.

Don't pick a place you're iffy about even if the institution is the most prestigious place you interviewed at. You're not going to live there. You have to go home and live your life.

I know we are doing this because we're stoked to work with kids, but be real with yourself. Adult psych is hard, but we sometimes see some really really messed up **** in child training. Pick a place where you feel like you could have the hardest day of your professional life and still feel supported enough to go home and show up to work the next day or where they care enough about you to tell you to stay the F home and take a day.

I love research and would love to be at an academic place so I could get back into it. But I think the only true metric of a training program is how invested it is in its trainees and how hard the program leadership protects them when it's required.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

Anyone familiar with AECOM/Monte comment on what they've heard about what it's like to be a cap fellow there? Tried to look up youtube videos, found none. Especially when comparing Monte to Mt. Sinai, aside from location, can anyone list out pros/cons? Much appreciated!

We should revisit this idea. My number 1 is very clear but like 2-7 is really jumbled up. I loved all my interviews no program really gave me bad vibes and they all seem to have everything I am looking for. Virtual has made it much harder to really get that gut feeling about places. Maybe a separate thread where we could ask about program A vs B or so forth would be helpful.
Yea I feel the same. There is like one program I interviewed at that I was like OH HELL NOPE like they were WAAAY too call heavy and didn't seem to do a great job supporting residents. I'm not even ranking them. like I would rather just not match and stay in adult than go there for child. otherwise I'm like....?? every other place seemed good.

Yea I feel the same. There is like one program I interviewed at that I was like OH HELL NOPE like they were WAAAY too call heavy and didn't seem to do a great job supporting residents. I'm not even ranking them. like I would rather just not match and stay in adult than go there for child. otherwise I'm like....?? every other place seemed good.
Yeah exactly and I get what RTC is saying but for me some of these programs both where they are located, even research and clinics available are all about the same. For me I am relocating unless something terribly goes wrong and all the programs I have ranked in my top 8 are close various families and friends. Well anyway I am interested in a separate thread where maybe some of the more experienced/attendings out there might have specific insights into programs or even what we may have heard ourselves.

I think I know what CAP program is this! I canceled my interview w them after the dinner w the fellows heheh

I agree with you, guys! Let’s create another thread then?

Was this in NY?

Put in my rank list today. Mostly just input the programs. I'm sure I'll mess with the order a bit or just totally forget about it. I should probably just certify things in case I forget to go back and do that. 🙃

Was this in NY?
I didn't actually end up applying in NY: while I've heard great things about the NY programs, I think for me NYC living would be too much (cost, lifestyle)

I think I know what CAP program is this! I canceled my interview w them after the dinner w the fellows heheh

I agree with you, guys! Let’s create another thread then?
I agree with a new thread!

From that mayo email it sounds like if you are going to email your number 1 telling them they are your number 1 maybe do it sooner than later.

Can you guys please make a name and shame interview stories thread after match like r/medicine on reddit? 👀

• Haha
From that mayo email it sounds like if you are going to email your number 1 telling them they are your number 1 maybe do it sooner than later.

I sent one to my #1 and never got a response back 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

• Sad
Wait, do programs expect this?

Idk at this point who’s my #1 tbh 🤔

Last edited:
I sent one to my #1 and never got a response back 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
I think it's program specific if they do or don't respond. I am pretty sure some programs have a strict no communication trying to abide by the rules type of thing so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Last edited:
Wait, do programs expect this? I sent a few love letters to my top programs but nothing really specifically targeted to my #1

Idk at this point who’s my #1 tbh 🤔
It's not expected or even needed but my PD told me that the only thing that may help a little with your rankings at some programs is if you tell your number one that they are you number 1 and why. For some programs it may change nothing for others it matters that you really want to be there just depends. And be clear to your number they are in fact that no vague top of my list type of thing.

Edit:
The one thing to not do is say they are your number one and then change. So if you aren't sure I would just not send anything especially if you are agonizing till the end. CAP is a small small world and if you happen to tell someone they are your number one and they actually rank to match you and then you change your mind last second about your ranking and match somewhere else then that would be not great lol. Again programs won't be angry you didn't send this and most maybe it changes nothing but it can't hurt to let your number 1 know how much you loved them specifically lol.

Last edited:
I think it's shady to send interest letters to multiple programs once you're this close to rank lists going in. One can totally send stuff after you interview, but if it's been some time since the interview and you're reaching out again to multiple places then eh.

I think it's program specific if they do or don't respond. I am pretty sure some programs have a strict no communication trying to abide by the rules type of thing so I wouldn't sweat it too much.
Maybe that's it but like... A simple form letter that even states that they've received the message would have been nice!

At this point it is what it is. My list is pretty much set anyway.

Yikes. What was this program’s call schedule? And what made the fellows seem unsupported?

This waiting sucks. Really don’t understand why our match is later than IMs. Oh well could be worse at least it’s not March like residency.

Mind sharing the name? Probably can't hurt you if you are not even going to rank them lol. Might help other applicants out!

How common is it to get post interview communication at this point from programs? Especially leading up to rank list submission deadline?

I hated waiting last year as well. I heard from one program saying I was “ranked to match”, and radio silence from others. Ranked at my #1 which was radio silent.

I agree with a new thread!
Any updates on this? Last year a few programs hid their toxic aspects well on the zoom interview trail so I definitely encourage y’all to name and shame (and am grateful to the fellows who helped me dodge a couple bullets last cycle with their openness🙏)