Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship Application Thread 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is crazy! One of the PDs who interviewed me said that he knew of programs who were offering prematch position, which, in his opinion, was a sign of a bad program besides being against the match rules… I had not asked anything about it. Wild.
This is very common actually in fellowships. They would rather “fill” earlier than wait for the match. Doesn’t really mean the program is bad, just means the PD is smart and wants to secure funding sooner.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah... the entire reason ERAS exists and there's a match is to stop the free-for-all that comes with this. There's ways to do this without resorting to the shenanigans discussed here, but it requires a program and an applicant to actually trust one another when they say they're going to rank each other first.

The pre-match shenanigans may help programs fill, but shouldn't they be penalized if they're on ERAS and participate in the match? I think it wouldn't be unfair to ding the entire department for match violations (i.e. residency and fellowship if either one of them flirts with this stuff). If a program is pre-match only and folks want to apply to them, then that's well within everyone's rights.

This honestly reminds me of friends applying to med school and interviewing at both DO and MD schools and getting time limited acceptance offers from the DO schools early with binding acceptance in the form of large non-refundable deposits. That's enough of a barrier to many students. Over in residency/fellowship land, this kind of makes the job market more challenging for the applicants when it's already harder for them.

This is very common actually in fellowships. They would rather “fill” earlier than wait for the match. Doesn’t really mean the program is bad, just means the PD is smart and wants to secure funding sooner.

I'm not sure I'd refer to match violations as 'smart' but I guess everyone only really cares about this for residency?

This is crazy! One of the PDs who interviewed me said that he knew of programs who were offering prematch position, which, in his opinion, was a sign of a bad program besides being against the match rules… I had not asked anything about it. Wild.

Hold up. Does this mean you've already started interviewing !?

My upper level got a few prematch it was after having interviewed with them through eras they apparently will offer you a contract on the spot if you commit to them then. Usually it’s good for as long as they haven’t filled their spots.

What does 'my upper level' mean? Someone who's a year or two ahead of you at your program?

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s not against the match. Fellowships aren’t “all in” like residency positions. They are allowed to offer some positions outside the match if they want and even very good programs do this sometimes

Reactions: 1 users
Hold up. Does this mean you've already started interviewing !?

What does 'my upper level' mean? Someone who's a year or two ahead of you at your program?
Well he was a year ahead of me and now he’s at a child fellowship lol and yeah I also Had my first interview.

Congrats to the over achievers that have started interviewing already :rofl:
Good luck to you and everyone else about to start and to those of us still waiting to hear back from a few places as well!

It’s not against the match. Fellowships aren’t “all in” like residency positions. They are allowed to offer some positions outside the match if they want and even very good programs do this sometimes

So a fellowship that participates in ERAS and the match can offer some positions outside the match and theoretically even fill those positions pre-match?

I think this needs to be less smoke and mirrors. I.e. fellowships need to be up front they do this on their ERAS page. If they fill an entire class out of the match, then I really think that they need to let other interviewees know this. I also think there should be a financial compensation for them if they've taken time off from work or had to travel for their interview (as in other years).

This isn't a normal job interview at all for applicants. It feels disingenuous for programs to treat it as such.
I can 100% see why an applicant that disagrees with this would do it if it was offered to them, especially in certain life situations (family etc). It just comes off as so shady to me.

@splik You're definitely one of the posters on here I respect a lot. How do you think the fellowship match should be set up? Do you think things are fine the way they are now?

Good luck to you and everyone else about to start and to those of us still waiting to hear back from a few places as well!

So a fellowship that participates in ERAS and the match can offer some positions outside the match and theoretically even fill those positions pre-match?

I think this needs to be less smoke and mirrors. I.e. fellowships need to be up front they do this on their ERAS page. If they fill an entire class out of the match, then I really think that they need to let other interviewees know this. I also think there should be a financial compensation for them if they've taken time off from work or had to travel for their interview (as in other years).

This isn't a normal job interview at all for applicants. It feels disingenuous for programs to treat it as such.
I can 100% see why an applicant that disagrees with this would do it if it was offered to them, especially in certain life situations (family etc). It just comes off as so shady to me.

@splik You're definitely one of the posters on here I respect a lot. How do you think the fellowship match should be set up? Do you think things are fine the way they are now?
I don't think fellowship programs participating in the Match can offer spots to applicants outside of the Match during the Match season.

However, fellowship programs are allowed to offer spots to applicants prior to the Match (and they would not put those spots up in the Match) or after the Match (if they did not fill those spots during the Match).

I don't think fellowship programs participating in the Match can offer spots to applicants outside of the Match during the Match season.

However, fellowship programs are allowed to offer spots to applicants prior to the Match (and they would not put those spots up in the Match) or after the Match (if they did not fill those spots during the Match).
They definitely offer during the season. You can even look at old threads people accepting said offers and withdrawing from interviews. Usually the most motivated to do this are the IMG applicants that need to be guaranteed for their VISA status and don’t want to roll the dice in the match or as RTC pointed out ones with family specific situations.

I agree that it's really not ideal, and it's clear why this isn't allowed in the residency match, where they need to be all in or all out. It really makes me appreciate the match all the more. As it stands, if you get an offer at a good program that you would have ranked highly, you're tempted to take it but at the same time might miss out on a program you would have preferred. Nerve-wracking!

They definitely offer during the season. You can even look at old threads people accepting said offers and withdrawing from interviews. Usually the most motivated to do this are the IMG applicants that need to be guaranteed for their VISA status and don’t want to roll the dice in the match or as RTC pointed out ones with family specific situations.

Hmm, I thought those were applicants who were participating in the Match, but decided to take positions that were not in the Match. I didn't realize fellowship programs were offering guaranteed spots even though they committed the spots to the Match process.

I was offered a guaranteed CAP spot at my home institution and spoke with the PD. My understanding is that the PD wanted my verbal commitment to the spot so that it would not be offered in the Match. I politely turned down the offer so my home institution program had n spots in the Match instead of n-1 spots.

Maybe I misunderstood the process altogether. Either way, best of luck this cycle!

Alabama
UAB 7/26 (DOBound2019)

California
UC Davis 8/6 (Ovaltine&Ativan)
UC Irvine 8/11 (CatatonicSonic)
UCLA-Harbor 8/13 (Ovaltine&Ativan) 8/20 (Peonybloc)
UCLA-Kern Medical Center 7/28 (Peonybloc, CatatonicSonic)
UCSD 7/26 (Ovaltine&Ativan) 8/4 (Peonybloc)
Kaiser Permanente Southern California 8/10 (Peonybloc)
UCLA 8/25 (funniful)
Loma Linda 8/25 (Peonybloc)

Connecticut
Yale 8/2 (moomoomilk) 8/5 (RTC, BearsBeetsBattlestar,Digitalis28, fOOmp)
Institute of Living (RTC)

DC
GWU 7/30 (DOBound2019, Phanerothyme) 8/9 (FreudeverJung)

Florida
U Florida Gainesville 7/22 (CatatonicSonic)7/30 (DOBound2019)
U Florida Jacksonville 8/24 (CatatonicSonic)
U South Florida 8/4 (Girlinyellow, CatatonicSonic)

Georgia
Morehouse SOM 7/26 (Girlinyellow) 8/2 (Digitalis28)
MCG 8/16 (Girlinyellow)

Illinois
Northwestern 8/4 (moomoomilk)
U of Illinois 8/4 (Girlinyellow)
Southern Illinois U 8/4 (CatatonicSonic)
U of Chicago 8/10 (BearsBeetsBattlestar, CatatonicSonic)

Indiana
Indiana U 8/20 (CatatonicSonic)

Kentucky
U of L (DOBound2019)

Maryland
U of Maryland 7/23 (FreudeverJung)
Johns Hopkins 8/5 (BearsBeetsBattlestar, Girlinyellow, CatatonicSonic, fOOmp), 8/16 (FreudeverJung)

Massachusetts
CHA 8/5 (BearsBeetsBattlestar)
UMass 8/6 (RTC)
MGH/McLean 8/9 (moomoomilk)
MGH/McLean 8/10 (fOOmp)

Michigan
Pine Rest/ Michigan State U 7/28 (CatatonicSonic)
U of Michigan 7/29 (CatatonicSonic) 8/20 (DOBound2019, Phanerothyme)

Minnesota
Mayo Clinic 7/28 (BearsBeetsBatlestar, DOBound2019, CatatonicSonic)

Missouri
Wash U 7/22 (DOBound2019)

New Hampshire
Dartmouth 8/12 (DOBound 2019, CatatonicSonic)

New Jersey
Jersey Shore University Medical Center 7/22 (Birdingdoctor)
Rutgers RWJ 8/02 (Birdingdoctor, RTC, Phanerothyme)

New York
Albert Einstein College of Medicine / Montefiore Medical Center 7/30 (Digitalis28)
NY Presbyterian 8/24 (moomoomilk) 8/26 (BearsBeetsBattlestar)
NYU 8/11 (BearsBeetsBattlestar) 8/16 (moomoomilk)
Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell 8/4 (BearsBeetsBattlestar, Phanerothyme)
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai 8/9 (FreudeverJung); 8/18 (BearsBeetsBattlestar)

Ohio
University of Cincinnati 8/24(Phanerothyme)

Oregon
OHSU 8/20 (Peonybloc)

Pennsylvania
SKMC/Thomas Jefferson University 8/5 (FreudeverJung)

Rhode Island
Brown University 8/02 (BearsBeetsBattlestar, Birdingdoctor, fOOmp)

South Carolina
MUSC 8/4 (DOBound2019)

Tennessee
Vanderbilt 7/29 (Girlinyellow)

Texas
Baylor College of Medicine 7/30 (BearsBeetsBattlestar, DOBound2019, CatatonicSonic)
UT Austin 8/3 (Girlinyellow) 8/10 (CatatonicSonic)
UTSW 8/18 (DOBound2019)

Vermont
UVM (RTC)

Washington
University of Washington 8/10 (moomoomilk) 8/17 (FreudeverJung)

Wisconsin
University of Wisc hospital systems 7/26 (DOBound2019)

Hmm, I thought those were applicants who were participating in the Match, but decided to take positions that were not in the Match. I didn't realize fellowship programs were offering guaranteed spots even though they committed the spots to the Match process.

I was offered a guaranteed CAP spot at my home institution and spoke with the PD. My understanding is that the PD wanted my verbal commitment to the spot so that it would not be offered in the Match. I politely turned down the offer so my home institution program had n spots in the Match instead of n-1 spots.

Maybe I misunderstood the process altogether. Either way, best of luck this cycle!

I had something similar but it was more of an understanding where I was 'ranked to match' at a program. Thus, I'd be guaranteed to match there no matter where I ranked them, if I went down my list enough.

IMHO, this is what I think of when I think of 'guaranteed' spots at home institutions, where the spot is there if you want it. That's how it was supposed to work for residency as well. It gives you freedom and security and basically is a blessing of sorts from your program that they want to see you succeed and be happy but they like you and would be more than happy to bail you out should you get into a spot of bother.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had something similar but it was more of an understanding where I was 'ranked to match' at a program. Thus, I'd be guaranteed to match there no matter where I ranked them, if I went down my list enough.

IMHO, this is what I think of when I think of 'guaranteed' spots at home institutions, where the spot is there if you want it. That's how it was supposed to work for residency as well. It gives you freedom and security and basically is a blessing of sorts from your program that they want to see you succeed and be happy but they like you and would be more than happy to bail you out should you get into a spot of bother.
Yeah this is what I have at my own home institution after sitting with the fellowship director which is nice to have because they feel like a nice safety blanket where I know I won’t fall past.

Alabama
UAB 7/26 (DOBound2019)

California
UCLA 8/25 (funniful)

Connecticut
Institute of Living (RTC)

DC

Florida

Georgia
MCG 8/16 (Girlinyellow)

Illinois
Northwestern 8/4 (moomoomilk)

Indiana

Kentucky
U of L (DOBound2019)

Maryland
Johns Hopkins 8/5 (BearsBeetsBattlestar, Girlinyellow, CatatonicSonic, fOOmp), 8/16 (FreudeverJung)

Massachusetts
BCH 8/27 (DOBound2019)
UMass 8/6 (RTC)
MGH/McLean 8/10 (fOOmp)

Michigan

Minnesota

Missouri

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New York
Albert Einstein College of Medicine / Montefiore Medical Center 7/30 (Digitalis28)
NY Presbyterian 8/24 (moomoomilk) 8/26 (BearsBeetsBattlestar)
NYU 8/11 (BearsBeetsBattlestar) 8/16 (moomoomilk)
Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell 8/4 (BearsBeetsBattlestar, Phanerothyme)
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai 8/9 (FreudeverJung); 8/18 (BearsBeetsBattlestar)

Ohio

Oregon
OHSU 8/20 (Peonybloc)

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina
MUSC 8/4 (DOBound2019)

Tennessee

Texas
Baylor College of Medicine 7/30 (BearsBeetsBattlestar, DOBound2019, CatatonicSonic)
UTSW 8/18 (DOBound2019)

Vermont
UVM (RTC)

Washington

Wisconsin

Alabama
UAB 7/26 (DOBound2019)

California
UCLA 8/25 (funniful)

Connecticut
Institute of Living (RTC) 8/3 (Birdingdoctor)

DC

Florida

Georgia
MCG 8/16 (Girlinyellow)

Illinois
Northwestern 8/4 (moomoomilk) 8/23 (Birdingdoctor)

Indiana

Kentucky
U of L (DOBound2019)

Maryland

Massachusetts
BCH 8/27 (DOBound2019)
UMass 8/6 (RTC)
MGH/McLean 8/10 (fOOmp)

Michigan

Minnesota

Missouri

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New York
NY Presbyterian 8/24 (moomoomilk) 8/26 (BearsBeetsBattlestar) 8/27 (Birdingdoctor)
NYU 8/11 (BearsBeetsBattlestar, Birdingdoctor) 8/16 (moomoomilk)
Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell 8/4 (BearsBeetsBattlestar, Phanerothyme) 8/27 (Birdingdoctor)
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai 8/9 (FreudeverJung, Birdingdoctor); 8/18 (BearsBeetsBattlestar)
Westchester Medical Center/New York Medical College 8/13 (Birdingdoctor)

Ohio

Oregon
OHSU 8/20 (Peonybloc)

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina
MUSC 8/4 (DOBound2019)

Tennessee

Texas
UTSW 8/18 (DOBound2019)

Vermont
UVM (RTC)

Washington

Wisconsin

Last edited:
I'm wondering the same thing. And I'm also wondering if there is a quick way to see which programs are involved in the match or not? Some programs do not explicitly say it on their websites or through ERAS?
This is random but FRIEDA most have themselves either listed as yes in the match or no not participating in the fellow match

Is it appropriate to send another letter of interest to a program where the first one didn't get a reply? How long would you wait before sending a follow up?

Is it appropriate to send another letter of interest to a program where the first one didn't get a reply? How long would you wait before sending a follow up?
I think the rule of thumb you send one and if there’s no response then you live with it unfortunately.

I think the rule of thumb you send one and if there’s no response then you live with it unfortunately.
Fair enough, would be good to have some acknowledgement though even if it's a rejection!

Fair enough, would be good to have some acknowledgement though even if it's a rejection!
Yeah the whole just slow ghosting thing that happens sucks. A rejection at least means you don’t have to think about them anymore.

I'd consider a non response a rejection imho. If they have spots open up next month maybe theyll reach out but I'd honestly cross them off my list if I was in your shoes.

Yeah that the impression I got from previous threads on this site. Definitely not true for me so far lol.

Maybe with everyone applying to more programs its taking longer to sort through applications?
First year CAP fellow at a competitive program on the West Coast. I'm not sure why people are saying that programs interview "all applicants who apply." Maybe in the past they did, but last year nearly all the programs I applied to said they got a record number of applicants, likely due to interviews being virtual. (So people didn't have to worry about budget for plane tickets.) All programs I applied to mentioned at some point that they were extremely pleased with the caliber of applicants that applied and were unfortunately unable to interview everyone. Maybe they were just saying that to make us interviewees feel special (lol, if so it worked!), but I don't think so because I had friends who said they applied to more places than they would have normally, so I assume it holds true for applicants all over the country.

This is not to be negative or scare anyone. I truly hope everyone gets all the interviews they want! I figure more info is better than less.

Also, I think we can all agree the anxiety candidates feel every fellowship cycle is not the anxiety about matching. (As others have said in this and past threads, if one wants to match, one will undoubtedly match, because every year there are programs that don't fill.) IT'S ANXIETY ABOUT MATCHING INTO YOUR TOP 3 CHOICES, especially if those happen to be competitive programs.

Reactions: 3 users
First year CAP fellow at a competitive program on the West Coast. I'm not sure why people are saying that programs interview "all applicants who apply." Maybe in the past they did, but last year nearly all the programs I applied to said they got a record number of applicants, likely due to interviews being virtual. (So people didn't have to worry about budget for plane tickets.) All programs I applied to mentioned at some point that they were extremely pleased with the caliber of applicants that applied and were unfortunately unable to interview everyone. Maybe they were just saying that to make us interviewees feel special (lol, if so it worked!), but I don't think so because I had friends who said they applied to more places than they would have normally, so I assume it holds true for applicants all over the country.

This is not to be negative or scare anyone. I truly hope everyone gets all the interviews they want! I figure more info is better than less.

Also, I think we can all agree the anxiety candidates feel every fellowship cycle is not the anxiety about matching. (As others have said in this and past threads, if one wants to match, one will undoubtedly match, because every year there are programs that don't fill.) IT'S ANXIETY ABOUT MATCHING INTO YOUR TOP 3 CHOICES, especially if those happen to be competitive programs.
Yeah a few of the bigger programs I am interviewing at only had enough slots for like 30-40 applicants at most. And statistics say I think It’s like 84-87% match at their top 3.

Alabama
UAB 7/26 (DOBound2019)

California
UCLA 8/25 (funniful)
USC 8/30 (Ovaltine&Ativan)

Connecticut

DC

Florida

Georgia
MCG 8/16 (Girlinyellow)

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky
U of L (DOBound2019)

Maryland

Massachusetts
BCH 8/27 (DOBound2019)
UMass 8/6 (RTC)
MGH/McLean 8/10 (fOOmp)

Michigan

Minnesota

Missouri

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New York
NY Presbyterian 8/24 (moomoomilk) 8/26 (BearsBeetsBattlestar) 8/27 (Birdingdoctor)
Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell 8/4 (BearsBeetsBattlestar, Phanerothyme) 8/27 (Birdingdoctor)
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai 8/9 (FreudeverJung, Birdingdoctor); 8/18 (BearsBeetsBattlestar)

Ohio

Oregon
OHSU 8/20 (Peonybloc)

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina
MUSC 8/4 (DOBound2019)

Tennessee

Texas
UTSW 8/18 (DOBound2019)

Vermont
UVM (RTC)

Washington

Wisconsin

I'm honestly a bit surprised that I haven't heard from programs that I interviewed at for residency. That said, maybe that's WHY I haven't heard from them :rofl:
Realistically, there are a bunch of places I haven't heard from on my list that I'd love to hear back from because it would make my ego feel fantastic, but I'm not going to pursue it and send them a letter or anything... why? Because the odds of my ranking them higher than my home program is pretty dang low because of life situation. It feels disingenuous to do so. If anyone has a program that they'd rank very high up and they haven't heard from them, I'd recommend reaching out. If you're in a position like I am where it would stoke your ego to interview there and 'reject' the program by not ranking them high, then move the heck along because that's why things are getting silly messy to begin with!

Alabama
UAB 7/26 (DOBound2019)

California
UCLA 8/25 (funniful)

Connecticut

DC

Florida

Georgia
MCG 8/16 (Girlinyellow)

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky
U of L (DOBound2019)

Maryland

Massachusetts
BCH 8/27 (DOBound2019)
UMass 8/6 (RTC)
MGH/McLean 8/10 (fOOmp)

Michigan

Minnesota

Missouri

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New York

Ohio

Oregon
OHSU 8/20 (Peonybloc)

Pennsylvania
SKMC/Thomas Jefferson University 8/5 (FreudeverJung), 8/XX (RTC)
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia 8/XX (RTC)

Rhode Island

South Carolina
MUSC 8/4 (DOBound2019)

Tennessee

Texas
UTSW 8/18 (DOBound2019)

Vermont
UVM (RTC)

Washington

Wisconsin

Alabama
UAB 7/26 (DOBound2019)

California
UCLA 8/25 (funniful)

Connecticut

DC

Florida

Georgia
MCG 8/16 (Girlinyellow)

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky
U of L (DOBound2019)

Maryland

Massachusetts
BCH 8/27 (DOBound2019)
UMass 8/6 (RTC)
MGH/McLean 8/10 (fOOmp)

Michigan

Minnesota

Missouri

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New York

Ohio

Oregon
OHSU 8/20 (Peonybloc)

Pennsylvania
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia 8/XX (RTC, BearsBeetsBattlestar)

Rhode Island

South Carolina
MUSC 8/4 (DOBound2019)

Tennessee

Texas
UTSW 8/18 (DOBound2019)

Vermont
UVM (RTC)

Washington

Wisconsin

So what is typical for number of interviews and when they are handed out? I knew 4 applicants last year and they all got about 50%-60% interview rate. Thus far I haven't noticed any particular clustering of interviews like when applying general psych. They have been coming in about 2-4 a week since the second week of august.

Alabama
UAB 7/26 (DOBound2019)

California
UCLA 8/25 (funniful)

Connecticut

DC

Florida

Georgia
MCG 8/16 (Girlinyellow)

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky
U of L (DOBound2019)

Maryland

Massachusetts
BCH 8/27 (DOBound2019)
UMass 8/6 (RTC)
MGH/McLean 8/10 (fOOmp)

Michigan

Minnesota

Missouri

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New York
University of Rochester 9/1 (DOBound2019)

Ohio

Oregon
OHSU 8/20 (Peonybloc)

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina
MUSC 8/4 (DOBound2019)

Tennessee

Texas
UTSW 8/18 (DOBound2019)

Vermont
UVM (RTC)

Washington

Wisconsin

Last edited:
So what is typical for number of interviews and when they are handed out? I knew 4 applicants last year and they all got about 50%-60% interview rate. Thus far I haven't noticed any particular clustering of interviews like when applying general psych. They have been coming in about 2-4 a week since the second week of august.
I think most say usually by mid September is when you stop getting invites but I am sure there might still be a trickle even after that as people cancel and so forth later in the season.

I think most say usually by mid September is when you stop getting invites but I am sure there might still be a trickle even after that as people cancel and so forth later in the season

Hoping that's the case, I have gotten no love from New England or Chicago. At this point its looking like ill have to sell off all my cold weather clothes and go back to California or Texas.

Alabama
UAB 7/26 (DOBound2019)

California
UCLA 8/25 (funniful)

Connecticut

DC

Florida

Georgia
MCG 8/16 (Girlinyellow)

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky
U of L (DOBound2019)

Maryland

Massachusetts
BCH 8/27 (DOBound2019)
UMass 8/6 (RTC)
MGH/McLean 8/10 (fOOmp)
Tufts 9/1 (DOBound2019)

Michigan

Minnesota

Missouri

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New York

Ohio

Oregon
OHSU 8/20 (Peonybloc)

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina
MUSC 8/4 (DOBound2019)

Tennessee

Texas
UTSW 8/18 (DOBound2019)

Vermont
UVM (RTC)

Washington

Wisconsin

Alabama
UAB 7/26 (DOBound2019)

California
UC Irvine 8/11 (CatatonicSonic), 8/23 (fOOmp)
UCLA 8/25 (funniful)

Connecticut

DC

Florida

Georgia
MCG 8/16 (Girlinyellow)

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky
U of L (DOBound2019)

Maryland

Massachusetts
BCH 8/25 (fOOmp), 8/27 (DOBound2019)
CHA 8/5 (BearsBeetsBattlestar), 8/19 (fOOmp)
UMass 8/6 (RTC)
MGH/McLean 8/9 (moomoomilk), 8/10 (fOOmp)
Tufts 9/1 (DOBound2019)

Michigan

Minnesota

Missouri

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New York

Ohio

Oregon
OHSU 8/20 (Peonybloc)

Pennsylvania
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia 8/XX (RTC, BearsBeetsBattlestar), 8/30 (fOOmp)

Rhode Island

South Carolina
MUSC 8/4 (DOBound2019)

Tennessee

Texas
UTSW 8/18 (DOBound2019)

Vermont
UVM (RTC)

Washington
University of Washington 8/10 (moomoomilk) 8/11 (fOOmp) 8/17 (FreudeverJung)

Wisconsin

Hi! I've been trying to reach a program coordinator for one of my reach programs. The PD actually got back to me, but had told me to talk with the coordinator about sending an LOR outside ERAS....and the coordinator still hasn't reached out. Should I just go through the PD instead to send the letter?

Hi! I've been trying to reach a program coordinator for one of my reach programs. The PD actually got back to me, but had told me to talk with the coordinator about sending an LOR outside ERAS....and the coordinator still hasn't reached out. Should I just go through the PD instead to send the letter?

Email PD and cc coordinator. Or send to both and address to both. But no matter what they should both be on the email.

Last edited:
Alabama
UAB 7/26 (DOBound2019)

California
UCSF 9/1 (Ovaltine&Ativan)
UCLA 8/25 (funniful)

Connecticut

DC

Florida

Georgia
MCG 8/16 (Girlinyellow)

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky
U of L (DOBound2019)

Maryland

Massachusetts
UMass 8/6 (RTC)
Tufts 9/1 (DOBound2019)

Michigan

Minnesota

Missouri

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New York

Ohio

Oregon
OHSU 8/20 (Peonybloc)

Pennsylvania
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia 8/XX (RTC, BearsBeetsBattlestar), 8/30 (fOOmp)

Rhode Island

South Carolina
MUSC 8/4 (DOBound2019)

Tennessee

Texas
UTSW 8/18 (DOBound2019)

Vermont
UVM (RTC)

Washington

Wisconsin

Alabama
UAB 7/26 (DOBound2019)

California
UCSF 9/1 (Ovaltine&Ativan, fOOmp)
UCLA 8/25 (funniful)

Connecticut

DC

Florida

Georgia
MCG 8/16 (Girlinyellow)

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky
U of L (DOBound2019)

Maryland

Massachusetts
UMass 8/6 (RTC)
Tufts 9/1 (DOBound2019)

Michigan

Minnesota

Missouri

New Hampshire
Dartmouth 8/12 (DOBound 2019, CatatonicSonic, fOOmp)

New Jersey

New York

North Carolina
Duke University 8/25 (fOOmp)

Ohio

Oregon
OHSU 8/20 (Peonybloc)

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina
MUSC 8/4 (DOBound2019)

Tennessee

Texas
UTSW 8/18 (DOBound2019)

Vermont
UVM (RTC)

Washington

Wisconsin

As of this week, I've heard back from ~70% of the programs I applied to. I don't really expect to hear back from anyone else and I'm at the point where I'm starting to turn down interviews and/or withdraw from places that I've heard from if I'm not going to rank them above my home program. I'm also out of interview days and don't want to use up too much vacation time for programs that aren't going to make the list.

Hopefully things keep trickling in for folks! I think it was stated elsewhere that things come in till mid sept or so...possibly later if cancellations happen.

As of this week, I've heard back from ~70% of the programs I applied to. I don't really expect to hear back from anyone else and I'm at the point where I'm starting to turn down interviews and/or withdraw from places that I've heard from if I'm not going to rank them above my home program. I'm also out of interview days and don't want to use up too much vacation time for programs that aren't going to make the list.

Hopefully things keep trickling in for folks! I think it was stated elsewhere that things come in till mid sept or so...possibly later if cancellations happen.

I agree w you. I’ve withdrawn from a few programs already. Debating whether I should cancel some interviews. It’s not easy to let it go though 😅 Specially when I don’t even know how my ranking will look like. But I think it’s the fair thing to do

I agree w you. I’ve withdrawn from a few programs already. Debating whether I should cancel some interviews. It’s not easy to let it go though 😅 Specially when I don’t even know how my ranking will look like. But I think it’s the fair thing to do

Not sure how many interviews you're planning to go on, but realistically most folks are going to match if they rank even 2-3 programs. I'd say if you have more than like 5-6 you're really splitting hairs. That said, I totally get it if you're on the fence about a couple of places. That certainly makes the list a bit longer. I'm really not sure how much interview days are going to make a difference at this point given how everything is virtual.

I'd actually love to do a study on that... have everyone rank programs prior to starting interviews and then also submit their true rank order list to see if anything really changes post interview. All anon obviously... but I think that would make for interesting data!

Edit: My personal bias is that the interview really won't change anything, especially with things in the online format. You really have no idea what you're getting as far as the 'feel' of a place is concerned. Anyone that's familiar with my posts from ages ago knows that I feel the same about med school and residency interviews as well. You're seeing a places best facade and you have no idea what's going on underneath.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
What is the proper etiquette for cancelling/declining interviews? Do you send an email to the program? Do you just hit the decline button in ERAS? I don't have any experience with cancelling or declining interviews during the residency interview season since it was so high stakes. Thanks.

What is the proper etiquette for cancelling/declining interviews? Do you send an email to the program? Do you just hit the decline button in ERAS? I don't have any experience with cancelling or declining interviews during the residency interview season since it was so high stakes. Thanks.
I think the proper way is to email the program directly and let them know. They may or may not see it if you just withdraw on eras especially if you already scheduled a spot.

Not sure how many interviews you're planning to go on, but realistically most folks are going to match if they rank even 2-3 programs. I'd say if you have more than like 5-6 you're really splitting hairs. That said, I totally get it if you're on the fence about a couple of places. That certainly makes the list a bit longer. I'm really not sure how much interview days are going to make a difference at this point given how everything is virtual.

I'd actually love to do a study on that... have everyone rank programs prior to starting interviews and then also submit their true rank order list to see if anything really changes post interview. All anon obviously... but I think that would make for interesting data!

Edit: My personal bias is that the interview really won't change anything, especially with things in the online format. You really have no idea what you're getting as far as the 'feel' of a place is concerned. Anyone that's familiar with my posts from ages ago knows that I feel the same about med school and residency interviews as well. You're seeing a places best facade and you have no idea what's going on underneath.
You know, I would normally have said 7 or 8, but I had a classmate go down 7 spots on his rank list so I am playing it safe and doing 12. With remote interviewing people/programs are increasing #'s they interview.

You know, I would normally have said 7 or 8, but I had a classmate go down 7 spots on his rank list so I am playing it safe and doing 12. With remote interviewing people/programs are increasing #'s they interview.
I mean Everyone should do what gives them peace of mind but the match data from the nrmp for 2021 cycle was consistent with previous years. Most still match at their top 1-3 only 12.3% matched outside of their top 3.

Last edited:

7 Spots down for... child psych?