Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship Application Thread 2022-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Eeeeek how’s everyone feeling about their rank?! So close to match day!

Members don't see this ad.

I am super excited for match day!! I feel like most of the programs I interviewed at were great, and I think I would be happy at the majority. Way different from residency interviews!

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't have a single bad interview day (unlike residency), so I'm gonna feel guilty about not matching at some places if I get my top choice lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a PGY-2 applying for fellowship in June. If anyone is willing to share some advice with me, I’d be grateful!

I am super excited for match day!! I feel like most of the programs I interviewed at were great, and I think I would be happy at the majority. Way different from residency interviews!
Don't worry, the interview is just the start. Fellowship itself is also way better than residency :).

Reactions: 1 users
I’m a PGY-2 applying for fellowship in June. If anyone is willing to share some advice with me, I’d be grateful!
Overall, the process in much more low-key than applying for residency is. Aim to have all your LOR's in at least a week before the deadline, since they take up to 5 business days to "process." Also, check the program website for each program you apply to for their individual requirements. Some ask for additional things (e.g. a copy of your med school diploma, copies of any published papers, a certain number of passed CSV exams, etc.). For interviews, know what you're looking for in a program; I got asked about this a lot.

Overall, the process in much more low-key than applying for residency is. Aim to have all your LOR's in at least a week before the deadline, since they take up to 5 business days to "process." Also, check the program website for each program you apply to for their individual requirements. Some ask for additional things (e.g. a copy of your med school diploma, copies of any published papers, a certain number of passed CSV exams, etc.). For interviews, know what you're looking for in a program; I got asked about this a lot.
Thank you very much!!

Child fellowship match day tomorrow. Good luck to everyone! Eagerly awaiting 12 PM EST. 😬

Reactions: 5 users
These last few hours until results are released are taking a while!!

Reactions: 2 users
EEEEKKKK!! 55 minutes guys! This is going to come in an email right? LOL

Can someone post the list of unfilled spots? thanks!!

I’m so happy! Got my first choice :). It was def tough to rank though so I think I would’ve been happy regardless. Hope the same for you all!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
got my 5th choice which I was not expecting at all, pretty disappointed
You matched into a fellowship that has a 98% chance to be solid and non-malignant. Unless the location is Appalachian west virginia, you will be just fine for 2 years. It sucks to fall lower than you expected (I certainly went through the same thing), but I would also be shocked if you look back in 5 years and didn't have a positive view of your time in fellowship. I virtually guarantee this is going to go better than your mind might be thinking right now.

I got my last choice. Pretty disappointed as well. I was under the impression most people ranked pretty high on the list
Are you willing to share what that was? I bet there’s a way to look at the positives of the program! I agree with above statement that it seems 98% of the programs are great.

Unable to go through with my match due to personal circumstances.

Anyone know the policy on withdrawing?

Unable to go through with my match due to personal circumstances.

Anyone know the policy on withdrawing?
I believe you have to get an NRMP waiver if you ever want to reapply to a program through the NRMP. My understanding is they’re pretty hard to get. I’ve heard of people also just refusing to sign their contract but then you’re violating the NRMP agreement and I’d imagine there might be some repercussions as the field is relatively small.

I believe you have to get an NRMP waiver if you ever want to reapply to a program through the NRMP. My understanding is they’re pretty hard to get. I’ve heard of people also just refusing to sign their contract but then you’re violating the NRMP agreement and I’d imagine there might be some repercussions as the field is relatively small.
Do you know what the repercussions are?

Do you know what the repercussions are?
My guess is that you would have a tough time entering the field again. I doubt there’s much else beyond that, but if you really want to be a child adolescent psychiatrist then something to consider.

I got my last choice. Pretty disappointed as well. I was under the impression most people ranked pretty high on the list
Seemed a bit more competitive this year based on what I heard and seeing the NRMP data for programs. Every program on my list filled completely this year, which wasn't the case last year.

CAP will likely continue to go up in competitiveness over time as a consequence of Psych residency being so competitive now.

Seemed a bit more competitive this year based on what I heard and seeing the NRMP data for programs. Every program on my list filled completely this year, which wasn't the case last year.

CAP will likely continue to go up in competitiveness over time as a consequence of Psych residency being so competitive now.
How can you see which programs filled and didn’t?

Fast track
This is something you should then discuss with your current program director as soon as possible to discuss your options, especially applying for a waiver. The NRMP has it laid out clearly that it is a match violation to not abide by the match results and go start your contract with your new program. I think you are required to work at the new program for 45 days before backing out and it not being considered an NRMP violation. The sanctions they place are to potentially bar you from participating in future matches or to continue in a program that participates in the match. This means that you can't just stay at your home program by default unless you have an approved waiver. If you are able to go to this program for 1 year and meet ABPN requirements for board eligibility, then you are under no legal pressure to stick around for a 2nd year and can go be a free-agent adult psychiatrist wherever you want.
Situations like this make me so angry about how obvious the match process is rife with anti-competitive qualities.

I matched at my number 2. Honestly quite sad that I didn't match at my number 1, considering it is my hometown, but my number 2 is at a fantastic program and in a great location. Hope everyone is handling their match okay.

Can someone post the list of unfilled spots? thanks!!

I am also curious about this if anyone has this information.

i dont have access to the data but any surprises regarding programs that didn't match?

It looks like all the bigger name programs matched all their spots. Overall fill rate for CAP positions was 82.4%.

is there a notable disadvantage if submitting an app in August or September vs July 1?

is there a notable disadvantage if submitting an app in August or September vs July 1?
You may be missed if your application is not there by the time a given program decides to review applications. Places will often review incoming applications continuously, but that may not always be the case, especially if there's a high number of initial apps.

Although I'm wondering why you would be submitting an application late if you're asking this far in advance? Letters of recommendation can be submitted after the application itself if that's a potential barrier.

Hey everyone! Any advice for this application cycle (2023-2024)? Anything you recommend/ wish you knew during your cycle? Advice for personal statement? Anyone care to share theirs with me? Thanks!

Hi everyone! If anyone has the list of unfilled programs (or knows of any), could you please lmk? I would greatly appreciate any leads. Thanks in advance :)