CCOM vs. CUSOM vs. LECOM-B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yayyyyyyy!!! let's go into mega-uber-debt

Haha...hopefully I have a plan in place and it all works out. It is definitely easier if you have a significant other/ spouse or family who can help cover some of the cost.

But I'm still hoping that Rowan will accept me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am leaning towards CCOM. I withdrew from LECOMs and planning to withdraw from CUSOM next. I can't overlook the established schools and what they can offer me in research and rotations, and the location suits me best.

Ahhh dude! I'm actually in a very similar boat. I loved CCOM. It as the closest any DO school got to an MD school in terms of curriculum, facilities, resources, etc... But, the price tag is really scary. CCOM doesn't place a bunch of its students in specialties and many students go into primary care. I don't know how I would be able to pay off the tuition with a primary care salary. LECOM-B is exactly half the cost, has higher board scores, and places twice as many students in specialties than CCOM. As someone that wants to specialize, I'm very conflicted. I don't know what to do either....

Also, if you get into Rowan, which you probably will because you already got into the hardest DO school, I'd consider it. However, make sure you look into Rowan's curriculum, especially 4th year. I'm too lazy to look into it now, but I think Rowan makes you do extra rotations and gives you considerably less time to do out rotations during your 4th year. I've also heard that the curriculum during pre-clinical years isn't as strong either.

Ahhh dude! I'm actually in a very similar boat. I loved CCOM. It as the closest any DO school got to an MD school in terms of curriculum, facilities, resources, etc... But, the price tag is really scary. CCOM doesn't place a bunch of its students in specialties and many students go into primary care. I don't know how I would be able to pay off the tuition with a primary care salary. LECOM-B is exactly half the cost, has higher board scores, and places twice as many students in specialties than CCOM. As someone that wants to specialize, I'm very conflicted. I don't know what to do either....

Also, if you get into Rowan, which you probably will because you already got into the hardest DO school, I'd consider it. However, make sure you look into Rowan's curriculum, especially 4th year. I'm too lazy to look into it now, but I think Rowan makes you do extra rotations and gives you considerably less time to do out rotations during your 4th year. I've also heard that the curriculum during pre-clinical years isn't as strong either.

I looked at the match list for both schools, and CCOM seems to have a better match list. LECOM includes ALL of their classes in the match list, and adding on the total number of students they have (~250 for LECOM-E, ~200 for LECOM-B, another ~100 for the LECOM-SH and their other learning pathways) there seems to be no difference, since they have more than twice as many students on that list vs. CCOM.

This is what CCOM says about its class:
"Residency Placements (Class of 2015)
Among the graduates, 58 percent entered primary care residencies while the rest of the class also secured residencies in various specialties including emergency medicine, orthopedic surgery, neurological surgery, ophthalmology, radiology, psychiatry, and anesthesiology. In addition, 49 percent of the class will stay in Illinois for their residency programs, with the rest traveling to 25 other states for their residencies."

LECOM has a class size of over 530, compared to CCOM's 206.

Are you comparing the list fairly?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, LECOM-B actually has ~200 students too. In the last cycle, LECOM-B had 8 gen surg matches and 7 ortho matches while CCOM had 4 gen surg matches and 5 ortho matches.
Match lists aren't important though because they change from year to year.
I actually just called Svetlana, one of CCOM's financial aid adviser. She was very honest and helpful. She mentioned that the school doesn't plan on stopping the tuition increases and that it will keep going up between 4-6% every year we are there. She said that they work very closely with students to borrow only the amount they need, to the penny. She also said that if I'm considered about tuition I could live "frugally" and borrow less. She also said that, if you have bad credit history or you max out federal loans, there are "institutional loans" that MWU gives out. So, you will literally be borrowing money from the school to pay for the school, which I thought reflected the fact that this tuition might become impossible to pay for for all 4 years for many students. She was actually very nice and when I jokingly mentioned that there are schools with half the tuition, she laughed and said "You are paying for quality here," which, I guess, is true. This was actually the first DO school I called that had an entire office dedicated to financial aid with counselors divided by student last name.

Well, LECOM-B actually has ~200 students too. In the last cycle, LECOM-B had 8 gen surg matches and 7 ortho matches while CCOM had 4 gen surg matches and 5 ortho matches.
Match lists aren't important though because they change from year to year.
I actually just called Svetlana, one of CCOM's financial aid adviser. She was very honest and helpful. She mentioned that the school doesn't plan on stopping the tuition increases and that it will keep going up between 4-6% every year we are there. She said that they work very closely with students to borrow only the amount they need, to the penny. She also said that if I'm considered about tuition I could live "frugally" and borrow less. She also said that, if you have bad credit history or you max out federal loans, there are "institutional loans" that MWU gives out. So, you will literally be borrowing money from the school to pay for the school, which I thought reflected the fact that this tuition might become impossible to pay for for all 4 years for many students. She was actually very nice and when I jokingly mentioned that there are schools with half the tuition, she laughed and said "You are paying for quality here," which, I guess, is true. This was actually the first DO school I called that had an entire office dedicated to financial aid with counselors divided by student last name.

Well, out of my list, CCOM is the only one that can offer me what I want, but I would go to PCOM or RowanSOM over this school in a heartbeat, because of the tuition alone. When you start getting acceptances to the top tier established DO schools with lots of research available (LECOM doesn't) then there really isn't a huge difference among them. I have a plan in place so I won't be swampful in debt going to CCOM.

Last edited:
Well, out of my list, CCOM is the only one that can offer me what I want, but I would go to PCOM or RowanSOM over this school in a heartbeat, because of the tuition alone. When you start getting acceptances to the top tier established DO schools with lots of research available (LECOM doesn't) then there really isn't a huge difference among them. I have a plan in place so I won't be swampful in debt going to CCOM.

Cool. Unfortunately PCOM isn't an option for me because, according to them, my LORs don't meet their requirements. But, I agree, many of the "top" private DO schools have comparable tuition. I also want to continue research which is why I applied to this school in the first place. Honestly, unless PCOM decides to not be a total ass and accept my LORs or I fall in love with Touro-NY or NYITCOM, I will probably be sending my deposit here and just try my best to live frugally. LECOM-B seems like too much of a gamble with the PBL curriculum, rotations, and lack of research. Would you mind pm.ing me your financial plan haha. I'm really curious about it.

I consider myself EXTREMELY lucky because I just got accepted to RowanSOM and did not pay the deposits for the other schools, which led to the automatic withdrawal with LECOM and my Dean's Scholarship from CUSOM. I saved myself $1500 but gave myself a lot of stress over this.

Looks like I'll be going to RowanSOM. Thanks for the information guys!

Reactions: 1 users
to the OP... this is a no brainer. Choose CCOM and move on.

Well, I got into RowanSOM, so now it becomes a no brainer. Before, I would've saved $120k just in principal by going to CUSOM or LECOM over CCOM. Adding on interest, I would be $200k less in debt after interest. That is a substantial sum of money that I still don't honestly know how I would tackle it if I went to CCOM instead.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I got into RowanSOM, so now it becomes a no brainer. Before, I would've saved $120k just in principal by going to CUSOM or LECOM over CCOM. Adding on interest, I would be $200k less in debt after interest. That is a substantial sum of money that I still don't honestly know how I would tackle it if I went to CCOM instead.
Congrats!!!