CCOM vs. CUSOM vs. LECOM-B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mathnerd88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have recently been accepted to CCOM, CUSOM, and LECOM-B. I'm not sure which school would be worth going. Each school has its pros and cons, and I'm OOS to all of them.

CCOM:
Pros:
One of the most established DO schools
Research Opportunities
Good rotations
Good match list
Good location

Cons:
COST- I would've gone here in a heartbeat if it was $45-50k a year. The tuition is $62k a year.

CUSOM:
Pros:
Brand new school, with new facilities
Very friendly staff- wants everyone to do well
Received Dean's Scholarship at $10k a year, which puts tuition at $33k a year.

Cons:
Not as established
Big focus on primary care and rural medicine
Not sure of rotations
Not a fan of the area, but still I can get used to it

LECOM-B:
Pros:
COST! Tuition is only $32k a year.
PBL (not having to be in class everyday)

Cons:
Not as good rotations- lots of traveling
PBL (not sure if it's right for me)
Very limited research
Lots of rules on campus

LECOM-E:
Pros:
COST! Tuition is only $32k a year.

Cons:
Very limited research
Lots of rules on campus

Can anyone chime in? It is a very difficult decision for me. I have two more interviews: RowanSOM (IS) and ATSU-KCOM. RowanSOM is my top choice, but I won't get their decision in time before these deposits are due.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i'd cross off cusom because they have a mission-oriented push for rural primary care and you don't like that and the fact they have unproven outcomes because they are so new.

i'd keep lecom-b on board for now because cost is definitely an issue and lecom-b is dirt cheap; however, it is somewhat a gamble because, as history tells, lecom operates very meticulously with finances and it is evident in the overall quality of basically everything: campus, student policy, likely high variation in quality of rotations, general care of administration, poor research, and variable quality of the didactic method (PBL can range from very good to worthless depending on your peers).

CCOM is basically the polar opposite of lecom-b so i'd keep it.

Last edited:
Hello guys,

I have recently been accepted to CCOM, CUSOM, and LECOM-B. I'm not sure which school would be worth going. Each school has its pros and cons, and I'm OOS to all of them.

CCOM:
Pros:
One of the most established DO schools
Research Opportunities
Good rotations
Good match list
Good location

Cons:
COST- I would've gone here in a heartbeat if it was $45-50k a year.

CUSOM:
Pros:
Brand new school, with new facilities
Very friendly staff- wants everyone to do well

Cons:
Not as established
Big focus on primary care and rural medicine
Not sure of rotations
Not a fan of the area, but still I can get used to it

LECOM-B:
Pros:
COST!
PBL (not having to be in class everyday)

Cons:
Very limited research
Lots of rules on campus

Can anyone chime in? It is a very difficult decision for me. I have two more interviews: RowanSOM (IS) and ATSU-KCOM. RowanSOM is my top choice, but I won't get their decision in time before these deposits are due.

LOL. Easy decision. CCOM. $50-90k difference over four years is a drop in the bucket. Think of it this way! You will repay all of it back in 12 months if you bust your ass by moonlighting for 30-50 shifts once you're a certified doc. I think you have your priorities a little mixed up. It should be:

1) Fit - is this where you're going to be happy and maximize your full potential
2) Location
3) Quality of rotations

I don't even look at the match list bc it's based on the students, not the school itself. If you're confident in your ability, you should do fine wherever you go.

If you're that concerned about cost, you could use your summer to haul some asses and make some dimes before school. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL. Easy decision. CCOM. $50-90k difference over four years is a drop in the bucket. Think of it this way! You will repay all of it back in 12 months if you bust your ass by moonlighting for 30-50 shifts once you're a certified doc. I think you have your priorities a little mixed up. It should be:

1) Fit - is this where you're going to be happy and maximize your full potential
2) Location
3) Quality of rotations

I don't even look at the match list bc it's based on the students, not the school itself. If you're confident in your ability, you should do fine wherever you go.

If you're that concerned about cost, you could use your summer to haul some asses and make some dimes before school. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Well, actually, LECOM-B is $120k cheaper than CCOM over 4 years, plus interest. CUSOM is giving me a scholarship that also makes it about $120k a year cheaper than CCOM.

I think the best course of action is to wait for your Rowan decision. It's going to come down whether you would feel happier at cusom or ccom. If the difference is negligible, you should go with cusom. $100k over 4 years is def worth your happiness in the grand scheme of thing when you're banking $1,000-2,000k for each day of work. So, you need to decide bet cusom and ccom and drop the deposit at one of them. Lecom should be eliminated from this list considering their somewhat shady practice along with straight terrible location and weather at erie.

Also, is that scholarship from cusom a sure thing yet? Don't make any assumption unless you have been granted the scholarship. If it's still pending for decision, I would drop the deposit for ccom seat at the deadline of course. You need to wait out this thing.

Also, is that scholarship from cusom a sure thing yet? Don't make any assumption unless you have been granted the scholarship. If it's still pending for decision, I would drop the deposit for ccom seat at the deadline of course. You need to wait out this

What are your stats and complete date??

I think the best course of action is to wait for your Rowan decision. It's going to come down whether you would feel happier at cusom or ccom. If the difference is negligible, you should go with cusom. $100k over 4 years is def worth your happiness in the grand scheme of thing when you're banking $1,000-2,000k for each day of work. So, you need to decide bet cusom and ccom and drop the deposit at one of them. Lecom should be eliminated from this list considering their somewhat shady practice along with straight terrible location and weather at erie.

Also, is that scholarship from cusom a sure thing yet? Don't make any assumption unless you have been granted the scholarship. If it's still pending for decision, I would drop the deposit for ccom seat at the deadline of course. You need to wait out this thing.

LECOM-B is actually in Florida, right near Tampa and Sarasota, so the location is actually pretty great. CUSOM does preach rural and primary care. I am now leaning towards primary care, but know things can change in the future. Obviously I would like to keep my options open.

The scholarship from CUSOM is still pending, and I am not sure if I'll get it. I did submit the essay a week ago. The deposit for LECOM-B is due on October 30, and the deposit for CUSOM is due Nov 15. For CCOM, I have until Dec. 14, so that's not a worry yet. My Rowan decision might not come until mid-November, but I'm not sure if LECOM-B is right for me to put the deposit down.

LECOM-B is actually in Florida, right near Tampa and Sarasota, so the location is actually pretty great. CUSOM does preach rural and primary care. I am now leaning towards primary care, but know things can change in the future. Obviously I would like to keep my options open.

The scholarship from CUSOM is still pending, and I am not sure if I'll get it. I did submit the essay a week ago. The deposit for LECOM-B is due on October 30, and the deposit for CUSOM is due Nov 15. For CCOM, I have until Dec. 14, so that's not a worry yet. My Rowan decision might not come until mid-November, but I'm not sure if LECOM-B is right for me to put the deposit down.

For now, I would rank:
1. CCOM
2. CUSOM
3. LECOM-B

Reasoning:

CCOM: (no real cons)
-established
-not too much of an emphasis on primary care
-good rotating sites
-good board scores
-good community involvement

CUSOM
Pro's:
- new school, new facilities (better facilities than any of the schools i've interviewed at)
- good rotations (their big rotations at WakeMed, Fayettesville are big cities, you'll be bale to rotate)
- faculty are extremely nice from my conversation with them
- administration seems to really care about students (when we had second years talk to us, they said that there were some changes needed in the cirriculum and they consequently made those changes for the first year now)
- students are very happy (many got in many other places but chose here and are not looking back)
-they have established accredited residency affiliations (including a derm one)
- had pretty good board scores for a new school
-if you're interested in research, their new nursing school building's top floor across the DO school will be dedicated to MEDICAL STUDENT research.
- you can stay at your rotation site for 2 years (then go off for audition rotations)

Con's:
-mission is to push primary care (but the prof's I talked to said that they want PCP but they aren't going to limit your opportunities)
-they are in the middle of nowhere (can be a pro or con depending on how you look at it)
- they are a new school so they are not as established in terms of name outside of NC/SC

*disclaimer- the new school thing, as much as it is con, they have so many affiliated grad programs (pharm/PA/law/business/education and soon to be nursing). Those programs have been longstanding and strong programs of the colleges in NC so they've done it before. I can't see many accreditation problems with it.

LECOM-B
Pro's
- PBL is an excellent curriculum if it fits your needs/style
- High board scores because of said curriculum
- Location is amazing
- Price

Con's
- They do not have advanced facilities (no sim labs ect)
- For me, something just seemed off about the faculty/staff and the students there that didn't click with me
- The uber strict rules (I understand dress code, but cmon, no food or water? That's a little too much)
- Stigma- I've worked with residents from LECOM-B and LECOM-E, and almost every attending has said that they are not as strong as some of the other residents (PM me if you want more on this)
- Administration is not that receptive- have a few friends here and at LECOM-E, you don't have much of an opportunity to be involved in administration changes and they aren't receptive to changes
- dropped rotations- this was the clincher for me. Since they don't pay to have their rotations guaranteed at hospitals, some students have their rotations dropped last minute. Now they find rotations for these students but it's added stress, you lose the opportunity to rotate at a place you might've been considering for residency and you have to do a 180 and make living arrangements somewhere else as well.

Thank you for your advice!

I may just not submit these deposits for CUSOM and LECOM-B and withdraw my application before the deadline.

Congrats on your acceptances so far! I chose to attend CCOM last year over several other acceptances, including an acceptance with scholarship at CUSOM. So far, I have no regrets. Yes, the tuition is ridiculous, but I feel that I would have been much less comfortable attending elsewhere. Honestly, you shouldn't ignore the cost, but go where you see yourself being happiest. And if that's the cheapest option simply because you'll be happiest taking out the least amount in loans - more power to you! Let me know if you have any questions about CCOM.

Congrats on your acceptances so far! I chose to attend CCOM last year over several other acceptances, including an acceptance with scholarship at CUSOM. So far, I have no regrets. Yes, the tuition is ridiculous, but I feel that I would have been much less comfortable attending elsewhere. Honestly, you shouldn't ignore the cost, but go where you see yourself being happiest. And if that's the cheapest option simply because you'll be happiest taking out the least amount in loans - more power to you! Let me know if you have any questions about CCOM.

Thank you for your advice! I see myself happiest at CCOM, but I have to play the waiting game and see if I can get into RowanSOM. I'm also trying to see if PCOM will offer me an interview for the time being. Again, I really appreciate all the responses in this thread, and perhaps I will see some of you as my future classmates! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump. Does anyone else have any input? Is cost extremely important here? I want to keep my options open for specialties.

I would probably pick CCOM if you are looking to specialize, if you are pretty set on primary care I would definitely go CUSOM w/scholarship if you can land it. Save $120k over 4 years plus the interest that accrues on that. Some people may differ on reasoning but I hate the idea of having to pay back 120k +interest after 7-10ish years of post grad education. (And it is not just a drop in the bucket, that's the mentality that will get you in a world of financial hurt real quickly.) I would rather be putting my money towards retirement (IRAs, 401k), investments, and personal spending. So cost of medical school is high on my list when choosing a school, under fit and reputation/quality of the school. But if you think you want to specialize then CCOM would probably be the smarter decision even with the 62k price tag.

I would probably pick CCOM if you are looking to specialize, if you are pretty set on primary care I would definitely go CUSOM w/scholarship if you can land it. Save $120k over 4 years plus the interest that accrues on that. Some people may differ on reasoning but I hate the idea of having to pay back 120k +interest after 7-10ish years of post grad education. (And it is not just a drop in the bucket, that's the mentality that will get you in a world of financial hurt real quickly.) I would rather be putting my money towards retirement (IRAs, 401k), investments, and personal spending. So cost of medical school is high on my list when choosing a school, under fit and reputation/quality of the school. But if you think you want to specialize then CCOM would probably be the smarter decision even with the 62k price tag.

Why do you think CCOM will allow him a higher chance of specializing? That premise is false. You pick CCOM bc of higher quality rotation and the prospect of living in Chicago for four years. That's it.

Why do you think CCOM will allow him a higher chance of specializing? That premise is false. You pick CCOM bc of higher quality rotation and the prospect of living in Chicago for four years. That's it.

i'm not understanding what you're trying to say. it is usually the case that higher quality of education including high quality rotations leads to better chance at specialized residencies or good residencies for fellowships in peds, IM, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
i'm not understanding what you're trying to say. it is usually the case that higher quality of education including high quality rotations leads to better chance at specialized residencies or good residencies for fellowships in peds, IM, etc. your argument would be applicable if we were comparing low tier MD to DO, where low tier MD usually have an upper hand in specialization and subspecialization.

First of all, specialization depends upon your quality of residency which is based on your clinical skills. Your clinical skills are not correlated to your school. It's mainly on you just like your step scores. What you get out of your clinical rotations depends mainly on you and your personality. For example, you might go to a medical center and learn nothing bc the attendings don't like you.

BTW the majority of students in md schools goes to primary care despite the majority of them think that they would own the world before starting med school.

Also the school can only provide you the tools and the resources. I personally think that Cusom resources are adequate enough for a student to match anywhere assuming that he/she works hard enough.

Also the school can only provide you the tools and the resources. I personally think that Cusom resources are adequate enough for a student to match anywhere assuming that he/she works hard enough.

My question is this...do you think connections matter? I know that in more established schools (since they have more alumni) have a reputation. If I were a program director at a residency, I would probably choose a CCOM student over CUSOM just because I know how CCOM trains their students.

a school that cannot secure adequate and reasonable rotations for their students can greatly impede the career of their students. in MD it isn't as great of a risk because LCME forces small class sizes to attain a standard of rotation quality, but this isn't as applicable in DO where the COCA is more lenient. as a result, unfortunately, there are DO schools that cannot maintain rotation quality for all of their students. the results show on step 2 and both quality and specialty of residency. if a student needs to move around much more involuntarily, is more frustrated with being taught nothing at the site, or cannot even schedule in their desired electives or auditions to be competitive, then it will become a problem that program directors will see. furthermore, if a school cannot maintain their credibility of producing good residents (not just one unicorn), it makes the program directors in the future more wary of accepting students from that school.

Last edited:

If I want to set myself up to match into the best residency I can in a field more competitive than family medicine, I would go to the school that would give me the best tools and resources to do that.

I think CUSOM is an awesome newer school that shows a lot of promise. I would happily attend that school and currently hold an acceptance there but if I have CCOM as an option also I would be more inclined to go to the school that has been around for more than a 100 years and has the proven track record to place students into great residencies. Even if I had to pay an extra 15k a year I would probably do so. This is where CUSOM cannot contended with CCOM.

People may disagree that what DO school you go to has no effect on where you match, but I think it has some effect in that certain schools have better rotations, better resources and connections and have better stigmas with their name and reputation. These things could very well have influence on decisions for landing a certain residency, and probably do for almost every case.

My question is this...do you think connections matter? I know that in more established schools (since they have more alumni) have a reputation. If I were a program director at a residency, I would probably choose a CCOM student over CUSOM just because I know how CCOM trains their students.
Going in my biggest concern with cusom was the lack of reputation. However after speaking to numerous sources, the unanimous feedback I received was board scores are what matters. As of now most specialties require a good usmle score. Cusom's inaugural class had 1/3 of their (they said it was about 59 student) students take it with a 100% pass rate. Obviously that doesn't reflect the actual scores they passed with but I don't see a lot of MD schools with a 100% pass rate on step 1. This (along with all the other pros people have listed) really helped me with my decision to lean toward cusom and cancel other interviews back east. It would take a really great school closer to home to draw me away. Just my opinion. Good luck it's a tough decision to make and a great problem to have.

It's not just about board scores but your clinical skills. These two things are entirely up to the applicants.

Cusom's inaugural class had 1/3 of their (they said it was about 59 student) students take it with a 100% pass rate.

are you sure you heard right? because it sounds really bad if only 1/3 of their class took first board with 100% pass rate. what happened to the other 2/3 of the class? what happened to the students who were failed out before they were allowed to take the boards? how are the rotations? you really need to ask multiple MS4s at CUSOM about this (are there MS4s are CUSOM yet?).

It's not just about board scores but your clinical skills. These two things are entirely up to the applicants.

if you want to employ reductionism all the way to "nurture vs nature" and individualism then we should probably not spend any more time talking lest we get into tangents. the school is going to matter otherwise there wouldn't be much differences in matriculation selection, but if you work hard you can increase your chances at achieving your career goals (DO schools and low tier MDs need to struggle for higher positions). are we satisfied with that?

are you sure you heard right? because it sounds really bad if only 1/3 of their class took first board with 100% pass rate. what happened to the other 2/3 of the class? what happened to the students who were failed out before they were allowed to take the boards? how are the rotations? you really need to ask multiple MS4s at CUSOM about this (are there MS4s are CUSOM yet?).

They only took the COMLEX. the 1/3 took both COMLEX and USMLE STEP1 which is taken after MS2. They had a 95% pass rate as a class on COMLEX and the 1/3 that chose to also take the USMLE HAD A 100% pass rate

So CCOM is definitely worth the tuition compared to other schools?
Absolutely. In every aspect.

I'd say the only stipulation would be if you're certain you want to practice family med.

Should KCOM be considered? I have an interview with them in beginning of November, but I'm considering cancelling it.
I would say yes, but personal "fit" is important.

A different breed of student will attend CCOM vs LECOM, KCOM, etc.

Should KCOM be considered? I have an interview with them in beginning of November, but I'm considering cancelling it.

I would go unless dead set on CCOM, I actually just interviewed there. The school is solid and seems to have their act together. A lot of ultrasound opportunity, and they have 12 sim dummies. They have a crazy amount of sim scenarios to go along with that. Very comparable to DMU as far as curriculum and atmosphere goes also has a nice workout facility with gym and rock climbing wall. Kirksville is small and rural and the closest city is over an hour away with major city like de Moines or Kansas City being 2.5 hours out.

Well it depends on where you're trying to practice. If you're going anywhere on the southeast/middle-eastern part of the USA, then you'll be pretty solid at CUSOM because they are fairly well known in NC/SC/GA/VA. If you're looking out midwest, then your connections will lead you more to CCOM because that's where your rotations will primarily be. Also, remember, board scores trump alot.

if you want to employ reductionism all the way to "nurture vs nature" and individualism then we should probably not spend any more time talking lest we get into tangents. the school is going to matter otherwise there wouldn't be much differences in matriculation selection, but if you work hard you can increase your chances at achieving your career goals (DO schools and low tier MDs need to struggle for higher positions). are we satisfied with that?

The matriculation selection is based on the reputation and brand. Clinical rotations are cusom are solid especially if you are the top half of your class. So, is the extra money for ccom worth it for just the brand? I personally don't think so bc of my belief that you will succeed wherever you go provided that the resources are there for you.

However, I think the OP has his priorities mixed up. Personally, I think that fit and happiness should be the key determining factors. I'm sure that mathnerd knows the answers to these questions already. He's just trying to be cute here.

I would go unless dead set on CCOM, I actually just interviewed there. The school is solid and seems to have their act together. A lot of ultrasound opportunity, and they have 12 sim dummies. They have a crazy amount of sim scenarios to go along with that. Very comparable to DMU as far as curriculum and atmosphere goes also has a nice workout facility with gym and rock climbing wall. Kirksville is small and rural and the closest city is over an hour away with major city like de Moines or Kansas City being 2.5 hours out.

I have heard of good things about students from kirksville. A lot of their HPSP students match into very competitive specialities for the Army.

The matriculation selection is based on the reputation and brand. Clinical rotations are cusom are solid especially if you are the top half of your class. So, is the extra money for ccom worth it for just the brand? I personally don't think so bc of my belief that you will succeed wherever you go provided that the resources are there for you.

However, I think the OP has his priorities mixed up. Personally, I think that fit and happiness should be the key determining factors. I'm sure that mathnerd knows the answers to these questions already. He's just trying to be cute here.

Actually, fit and happiness are also correlated with money to me. If CCOM gives me $150k more in debt (because of interest) than other schools, that concerns me. I absolutely loved CCOM more than the other schools, but still am unsure about the debt I'll be in.

$150k is nothing to laugh at. It could potentially be used to buy a house. I'm also going to be past forty when I'm still trying to pay off this debt. I'll also have a family that I will have to support.

My plan is to wait to see if I get that scholarship from CUSOM. If not, then my decision will be easier. If I can get into RowanSOM then my application cycle is complete.

Last edited:
Actually, fit and happiness are also correlated with money to me. If CCOM gives me $150k more in debt (because of interest) than other schools, that concerns me. I absolutely loved CCOM more than the other schools, but still am unsure about the debt I'll be in.

$150k is nothing to laugh at. It could potentially be used to buy a house. I'm also going to be past forty when I'm still trying to pay off this debt. I'll also have a family that I will have to support.

My plan is to wait to see if I get that scholarship from CUSOM. If not, then my decision will be easier. If I can get into RowanSOM then my application cycle is complete.
If you are confident in your ability and the difference in fit and happiness is negligible, I would go with cusom for the $150k cheaper bill. I agree with your course of action.

stupid question (sorry): how does a school being primary care focused have any effect on how an applicant chooses to match? Can they not still do whatever they want no matter what the program encourages you to do?

Last edited:
stupid question (sorry): how does a school being primary care focused have any effect on how an applicant chooses to match? Can they not still do whatever they want no matter what the program encourages you to do?

Rotations. For example, RowanSOM requires a 12 week rotations with FM. Some of these rotations may be more focused towards primary care or rural care, where other schools may have better rotations elsewhere in a well known hospital with lots of resources for specialties.

Rotations. For example, RowanSOM requires a 12 week rotations with FM. Some of these rotations may be more focused towards primary care or rural care, where other schools may have better rotations elsewhere in a well known hospital with lots of resources for specialties.
So I compared CUSOM's 3rd/4th years to KCU and it appears KCU has 1 more elective rotation 3rd and 4th year. Is that a significant difference really? Or is that a bad comparison?

So I compared CUSOM's 3rd/4th years to KCU and it appears KCU has 1 more elective rotation 3rd and 4th year. Is that a significant difference really? Or is that a bad comparison?

Well, it is the quality of the rotations. For example, some hospitals or clinics may be a lot worse and lack resources.

Well, it is the quality of the rotations. For example, some hospitals or clinics may be a lot worse and lack resources.

not only that, CUSOM, given its explicit mission-oriented push for primary care, most likely has a fiduciary duty to produce primary care/rural physicians for NC region and as such CUSOM's funding depends on this.

here is an interesting snippet from another thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...selective-rotations-at-non-aoa-sites.1105576/
read the handbook and ask MS4s and not admissions who we all know smear the truth if they can. although, given how new schools' curriculums tend to be unstable, a lot may have changed between what current MS4s experience and what you might experience.

So is the quality evidenced based on the students grades 3/4 years or on boards? How does one know the quality other than word of mouth and the assumption new schools have poor rotations?

So is the quality evidenced based on the students grades 3/4 years or on boards? How does one know the quality other than word of mouth and the assumption new schools have poor rotations?

The problem is, nobody really knows. Are you going to gamble that versus an established school with well known and large hospital systems?

The only thing I can gather from my interview is that the rotations aren't super far away from each other so moving isn't necessary.

Last edited:
So I just got my Dean's Scholarship letter from CUSOM...it looks like I'll be putting a deposit down for CUSOM then...

I'll need more time to figure out which school is best. I'm not sure if CCOM is worth the tuition, and it'll increase per year until I graduate...

Last edited:
@mathnerd88
Anything change? Are you still set on CUSOM or are you leaning towards CCOM now?

I am leaning towards CCOM. I withdrew from LECOMs and planning to withdraw from CUSOM next. I can't overlook the established schools and what they can offer me in research and rotations, and the location suits me best.

The scholarship from CUSOM will not convince me, although I'm going to be paying $120k less plus interest for that school.

Last edited:
yayyyyyyy!!! let's go into mega-uber-debt