CCOM Class of 2013!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got my acceptance yesterday....pulled off the waitlist finally....looking forward to the fall...Downers Grove is an awesome place to live. Best of luck. CCOM 2013!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone congrats on the acceptances! If you havn't yet, join the facebook group, (search CCOM 2013) there are about 120 of us on there and we are trying to plan some get togethers before school starts.

Does anyone know where to find a list of books needed for MSI? My boss wants to buy me one of my books as a going a way present. Also, can those who've completed MSI help us MS0's sift through which books you need and don't need?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, Whats up?

Thanks TeamZissou for making this thread. I stopped getting on SDN ever since I got accepted to CCOM. Sorry, SDN reminded me of the MCAT and pre-acceptance days. Glad thats over with!!!

But just a quick question for whoever has the time to answer. I'd appreciate it.

I just got offered one of the pines apartments and my move in date is August 1st. But don't we start our orientation that week? Doesn't the school give you a couple of days extra to move in?

Hey Sagar,
Orientation is Aug. 3rd through 6th and i would assume classes beging soon after. So you should have some time to move in. Also, how in the hell did you get pines? :eek: I applied for them too and didn't get it.

Yea I emailed the housing people, and asked when would we be able to move in, but no response yet. If I find out, I will let you guys know. Also, I have not received any housing contract/information in the mail yet. I received the email and accepted, but I hope I'm not missing anything.

Also, this is off-topic, but what are you guys doing about health insurance? I heard that the school insurance is expensive and wanted to know if any of you guys have any suggestions about other insurance out there. Thanks!

Yea I emailed the housing people, and asked when would we be able to move in, but no response yet. If I find out, I will let you guys know. Also, I have not received any housing contract/information in the mail yet. I received the email and accepted, but I hope I'm not missing anything.

Also, this is off-topic, but what are you guys doing about health insurance? I heard that the school insurance is expensive and wanted to know if any of you guys have any suggestions about other insurance out there. Thanks!

I also accepted my housing through email but did not receive any paper form through the mail so your not alone. Regarding insurance I am getting "Select Blue" from Blue Cross Blue Shield since it is $24 cheaper /month compared to our school insurance Aetna..and get this I get MORE benefits too so it's a win-win situation. I'm waiting for my policy to come in since I recently go approved.

Your definitely going to need Netter's Atlas of Anatomy and Rohen's Atlas. Thats pretty much all you need for Human Anatomy. For histology, there is a textbook that they require you to have for class. i am forgetting the name though. But again, just wait until the first day of orientation since you get the Netter's atlas for free if you join SOMA or some club like that. Some of the other books you can get from last years' students. Don't buy them new as they cost a lot. All of the textbooks are also in the library for you to use. If any of you have specific questions about the books, just send me a private message and I will try to help you as much as possible.

I also accepted my housing through email but did not receive any paper form through the mail so your not alone.

Samesiez....

I'm assuming they wouldn't have sent us that email unless they were able to offer us contracts right?

Glam88 did they respond to your email about it?

Samesiez....

I'm assuming they wouldn't have sent us that email unless they were able to offer us contracts right?

Glam88 did they respond to your email about it?

Nope not yet.

Hey Sagar,
Orientation is Aug. 3rd through 6th and i would assume classes beging soon after. So you should have some time to move in. Also, how in the hell did you get pines? :eek: I applied for them too and didn't get it.

Really? I got an apartment there fairly easy. I think I applied kinda late too. But I still got it. The only reason I liked the pines was because they have kitchens in them. (I am a terrible cook, but still I need to have a kitchen just in case!!!)

But actually I just took a tour recently and the other places didn't seem all that bad either. In fact, the pines kinda seem to be isolated.

I thought orientation was going to start for you first-years on Aug. 3rd and continue till the 6th. Classes don't start till August 10th, so that gives you some time to move in... double check on that though, i could be wrong.

No, you are right. But the actual move-in days are only two (Aug. 1st and 2nd). I got a lot of stuff to bring from home, so not sure I'd be able to bring everything in two days. Might have to rent one of those big trucks, which I didn't want to do. But oh well...

hey guys,
for the question about textbooks...you will need a Netter's atlas, at the very least. I bought all of 3 textbooks for first year - Netter, Mosby's guide to phys. exam. and the histo textbook. The histo textbook is a waste of money, you mostly end up checking out the atlases from the library anyways. I would suggest a lippincott's biochem book, it's not super-useful for class but its a nice reference and I've heard it comes in handy for board studying.

also...woodhorse has their information incorrect, the incoming class will not be getting netter's with any sort of organizational membership. I am selling a spare Netter that I have for $55 - it's never been used, so PM me if you'd like to take it off my hands.

No, you are right. But the actual move-in days are only two (Aug. 1st and 2nd). I got a lot of stuff to bring from home, so not sure I'd be able to bring everything in two days. Might have to rent one of those big trucks, which I didn't want to do. But oh well...

Yup we can move in Aug. 1st. So I'm moving into the dorm, haha I forgot what do I need for that again? I live too far for driving, so I'll have to bring everything in suitcases :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so I was reading through the welcome letter, and saw that the titers have to be done by July 1st!!!! Ahhh I thought it was before matriculation.

Can someone confirm...am I reading this right? How long does it take to get that all done?

Last edited:
Ok so I was reading through the welcome letter, and saw that the titers have to be done by July 1st!!!! Ahhh I thought it was before matriculation.

Can someone confirm...am I reading this right? How long does it take to get that all done?

hey Glam, you are correct. All Immunization requirements are due by July 1. The reason being is that they want to review your record and make sure everything checks out and if it doesn't then have enough time to rectify it. They say your matriculation could be in jeapordy if all the immunization requirements are not fulfilled before classses start unless you have some extenuating circumstances. E.g. matricualting mid summer or little before that doesn't allow enough time to get vaccinated for lets says..3 shots of the hep B...

My titer report took about 2.5 wks to get back though I don't know what the avg. turnaround time is for these testing labs..you shoudl prob. email Dr. Dombrowski (Dean of student services) if you have any specific qs...

hey Glam, you are correct. All Immunization requirements are due by July 1. The reason being is that they want to review your record and make sure everything checks out and if it doesn't then have enough time to rectify it. They say your matriculation could be in jeapordy if all the immunization requirements are not fulfilled before classses start unless you have some extenuating circumstances. E.g. matricualting mid summer or little before that doesn't allow enough time to get vaccinated for lets says..3 shots of the hep B...

My titer report took about 2.5 wks to get back though I don't know what the avg. turnaround time is for these testing labs..you shoudl prob. email Dr. Dombrowski (Dean of student services) if you have any specific qs...

I am going this friday to my doc to get it all done, and probably will get the results the following week according to him. I'm just worried if I'm not somehow immune that I'll have to get vaccinated again, and it takes 6 weeks to get a titer again.

I am going this friday to my doc to get it all done, and probably will get the results the following week according to him. I'm just worried if I'm not somehow immune that I'll have to get vaccinated again, and it takes 6 weeks to get a titer again.

Another reason why titers need to be taken ASAP...

Immunization records have to be taken care before the orientation date...but what if I have had all the vaccines done, and got the titers done...would that be considered taken care of, even if I find out I am not immune?

Immunization records have to be taken care before the orientation date...but what if I have had all the vaccines done, and got the titers done...would that be considered taken care of, even if I find out I am not immune?

for that I would email Dr. Dombrowski since she's the Dean of Student Services and would be able to provide a better answer.

Really? I got an apartment there fairly easy. I think I applied kinda late too. But I still got it. The only reason I liked the pines was because they have kitchens in them. (I am a terrible cook, but still I need to have a kitchen just in case!!!)

But actually I just took a tour recently and the other places didn't seem all that bad either. In fact, the pines kinda seem to be isolated.

hey I got the apt-yes!. Same reason I wanted the apartment was b/c of the kitchen and more space compared to the dorm. Plus the dorms are not all that quiet which I need in order to study..hah..

My lab report came back after just two days, but I only needed the titers for Hep B antibody and antigen, as I had the titers drawn for others before.

But I think if you ask your doctor to put a rush on it, they probably could do it.

And if you are found to not have immunity to something, then I think you might need a booster shot, which would be probable with TDep, but I think with everything else you should be good, if you have had the shots.

My lab report came back after just two days, but I only needed the titers for Hep B antibody and antigen, as I had the titers drawn for others before.

But I think if you ask your doctor to put a rush on it, they probably could do it.

And if you are found to not have immunity to something, then I think you might need a booster shot, which would be probable with TDep, but I think with everything else you should be good, if you have had the shots.

Thanks for the advice! Yea I got the report back, and looks like I am immune to all...so its all good...at least I think so. :thumbup:

its not a big deal if you dont finish your immunizations. I had to retake hep and that took 6+ months.. As long as you prove your in the process thats all you can do.

Alright, here is a crazy question. Can anyone who has finished first year comment on how the final exam week of the spring quarter works. Is their an exam everyday, even Friday? The reason I ask is that my fiance wants to get married the weekend following finals week, I'm trying to figure out if this is a feasible request.

Alright, here is a crazy question. Can anyone who has finished first year comment on how the final exam week of the spring quarter works. Is their an exam everyday, even Friday? The reason I ask is that my fiance wants to get married the weekend following finals week, I'm trying to figure out if this is a feasible request.

The spring final exam week is pretty tough, but I did not think as bad as the winter final exam period. The spring final exam period includes a big ICM (intro to clinical med) practical final which is like 45 pts, normally they are worth 20 pts, a big cumulative OMM practical final, which is about 20 min longer than a normal OMM practical exam, and a big 100 question cumulative OMM MC test. So there a normal amount of final exams, but some of them are a little bigger than usual. None of them are really much more difficult, but they just might take a bit longer to study for b/c they are over more material than usual. I think we had a two week final exam period. It started on a Tuesday and continued straight through until that Friday, we had the weekend off, and then went Monday through Thursday of the next week. The first week does not officially count as the final exam week so you still have classes that you might choose to go to, but the second week is just finals, so you have all day after each final to study for the next day's final. I would say if you got married the week after the final week of exams it could be possible, but I would not count on spending any time getting ready for the wedding before finals are over. Finals here, as with any other med school, are pretty intense and you do not want to screw up a quarter's worth of work by not studying hard throughout the final exam period. My advice would be to move the wedding back a couple of weeks if at possible b/c it would make both you and your fiance's life better. Just my opinion though, best of luck with the decision and congrats on getting engaged

Hey guys,

So has anyone done any of the fingerprinting yet? I was trying to do the registration online but it will not let me find a site near me. I dont live close to the Chicago area, so I was trying to see if I could get one near me and for some reason the site wasnt letting me access locations outside of Illinois.

I too live quite a ways away right now and I was just trying to schedule mine in Downers Grove for sometime in August but the system won't let me view August. I called the place and they say the August dates won't be available to view for them or us until the week of July 27th.

On the facebook group one girl said they sent her the materials and she went and had it done locally. But we also have until September first to get it done so maybe waiting until you're in Chicago will work.

I too live quite a ways away right now and I was just trying to schedule mine in Downers Grove for sometime in August but the system won't let me view August. I called the place and they say the August dates won't be available to view for them or us until the week of July 27th.

On the facebook group one girl said they sent her the materials and she went and had it done locally. But we also have until September first to get it done so maybe waiting until you're in Chicago will work.

Is it possible to get it done locally or do we have to get it done in Illinois? Because I was under the impression we can get it done from a local site as in the directions it says "
There are fingerprinting sites in California, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas and Wisconsin, as well as Canada.
Select a site from the list that is convenient for you."

Is it possible to get it done locally or do we have to get it done in Illinois? Because I was under the impression we can get it done from a local site as in the directions it says "
There are fingerprinting sites in California, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas and Wisconsin, as well as Canada.
Select a site from the list that is convenient for you."

She just said something about how she contacted them and they sent her the materials and then she went and had it done at a completely unaffiliated site in her home town...

She just said something about how she contacted them and they sent her the materials and then she went and had it done at a completely unaffiliated site in her home town...

Thanks! Yea maybe I will look into that, because I just want to get it out of the way.

What is everyone doing about computers? I'm trying to find a laptop before school starts but I'm not sure what I would need. I like using a laptop for typing notes, but I'm not sure if I will need it for class. Anyone have any recommendations for laptops regarding any requirements..maybe long battery life, 3 to 4GB memory, pentium or core 2 processors?

Any tips for a first year student? Anyone have any textbooks or other materials to sell?