CCOM Class of 2013!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeamZissou

jaferd
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I thought it was high time those who may be attending CCOM in the fall had a thread to post in! Hope to see you all in August!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I created a facebook group for us. Search for "CCOM Class of 2013"

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay I'm excited about CCOM. There's a really high probability that I will be attending CCOM!!!

Whyyyyyyyy does it have to be so expensive??? That is a MAJOR player in holding me back from choosing CCOM over a few other programs...

Whyyyyyyyy does it have to be so expensive??? That is a MAJOR player in holding me back from choosing CCOM over a few other programs...

I would say if you want to go into primary care, it's not worth it. But if you want to specialize, CCOM has a proven track record, and the difference in tuition won't matter much in the long run.

I would say if you want to go into primary care, it's not worth it. But if you want to specialize, CCOM has a proven track record, and the difference in tuition won't matter much in the long run.

yes, thats where im stuck. im thinking surgery so its a very tempting option.

yes, thats where im stuck. im thinking surgery so its a very tempting option.

From what I hear, Chicago's sweet. Hope that helps. :laugh:

Can you explain why CCOM is better if you want to specialize (and also why it's not as good for primary care)? I've never heard that before.
Thanks!

First let me say that this is from my perspective so it may be helpful if current students could weigh in on this.

CCOM is a good DO school to go to if you want to specialize because they don't emphasize primary care as much as other schools do. Also being in Chicago offers you the opportunity to rotate through a lot of different hospitals and helps open up doors in that respect. That being said its mostly up to the individual if you want to make it happen.

As far as CCOM being good for primary care I would say that it's probably just as good if not better for primary care as other schools. In the respect of rural medicine it might not be as strong because it doesn't have that type of track offered (that I'm aware of). However you do get to rotate through the Chicago hospitals again and you would definitely see some stuff there that you might not otherwise. Also if you look at some of their previous match lists they send people to places like Johns Hopkins for Family Medicine residencies. It doesn't get much better than that in respect to primary care. Or Cook County for EM.:thumbup:

So that's my opinion based on what I know. Take it for what it's worth:)

Hey guys,
Congratulations to all who have been accepted to CCOM. Figured its about time to start a thread..I dont know about others but I would LOVE to find my roommate as soon as possible..so we can get to know each other. Afterall, we will be with each other thru the hard and stressful times of med school. So whats better than gettin to know each other ahead of time...

Hey guys,
Congratulations to all who have been accepted to CCOM. Figured its about time to start a thread..I dont know about others but I would LOVE to find my roommate as soon as possible..so we can get to know each other. Afterall, we will be with each other thru the hard and stressful times of med school. So whats better than gettin to know each other ahead of time...

There's a sub-forum for long term and temp housing. Good call, though. I just started a PCOM one. Cheers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just sent my deposit in a few days ago! Its funny, even though I had made the decission to go to CCOM over a month ago its finally starting to feel official. I'm so excited! I am originally from Utah and while I have lived out of state I've never spent much time in the midwest and am stoked about moving to Chicago. :soexcited:

I have a question for you natives or to current CCOM students. I am married with a little girl (about a year old). I have been wondering what my best options are for housing. With my wife and daughter I will need at least a 2 bedroom. I have poked around on craigslist and the like and it seems that there isn't a huge difference between appartments and renting a little house. I would like something as close to campus as possible. Any advise would be much appriciated.

I plan on going out around early may with my wife to scope the place out and hopefully find something, but any info I have now would be really helpful in preparing. I know I'm jumping the gun a little with this (like half a year early...) but, hey, I got into medical school and I'm moving to Chicago and I'm excited!!!

Hey guys,

I'll also be looking for a roomate
so umm...how does this work?
is there another thread for roomate seekers?

I'll also be looking for a roomate
so umm...how does this work?
is there another thread for roomate seekers?

I m not too sure either! Let me know if u find out anything :)

Hey everyone I just put down my deposit and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you! I'm curious, where is everyone coming from? I'm from AZ.

I'm sorry CCOM but i cant turn down in-state tuition
good luck all!

Hello all! I'm excited and already very impatient--I can't wait to start school.

Hey everyone I just put down my deposit and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you! I'm curious, where is everyone coming from? I'm from AZ.

...Ohio here

Hey!! I'm from Virginia but have been in Chicago for 4 years now. I can't wait for CCOM!!!

Transfer to an allopathic program at the end of your second year.

Nothing to see here folks, just move along. This troll posted the same thing in the AZCOM 2013 forum.

Congratulations to everyone who got into CCOM '13. It's a great program.

http://mwunet.midwestern.edu/academic/CCOMClinEd/studentArea.htm

The match lists for CCOM for the last 5-6 years. You can see all the "terrible community programs" people have ended up at. Those people's lives are ruined!

Tuition is getting a little high. Otherwise I disagree with most of what he said, especially because it pertains to AZCOM and not CCOM.

hey everyone :) paid my deposit last month, so i'm thinking this is pretty official! :) i'm from northwest indiana! how's the housing search going? i'm thinking about living in the on-campus suites or apartments!

Hey everyone, Im from Chicago area but went to school at UW-Madison. Look forward to meeting you guys next year!

Hi everyone! I'm from Wisconsin and also went to school at UW-Madison.

Is anyone seriously considering living in Oak Park or one of the North Side neighborhoods? I'm leaning towards Oak Park at this point.

Also, is the Facebook page active at all? I don't have a Facebook account and am hoping that I'm not missing out on any fun!

Why is this class thread so dead?!?!? Let's start a fire!!! Anyone from out of state here in Chicago looking for a place already?!

No idea why this hasn't seen much attention recently. The facebook group seems to be going well though. Have you checked that out? I'm holding off looking for housing until I hear from my state school in March...

I myself, hail from Nebraska, "The Good Life", but I can't wait to get the heck outta here, its all I have known my whole life. Time to move somewhere just as cold in the winter, and humid in the summer....wait a second

Has anyone else checked their CCOM email account yet? They sent me an orientation schedule for August, but it is for "08 and not '09. I will call the office and pass on any info. Have a wonderful day!
:)

hey everyone!....first, i read through the thread, did anyone figure anything out about housing search for next year, like a sub-thread or something? second, anyone else out there doing HPSP...be nice to talk it through with some of you!

hey everyone!....first, i read through the thread, did anyone figure anything out about housing search for next year, like a sub-thread or something? second, anyone else out there doing HPSP...be nice to talk it through with some of you!

I just sent you a PM about HPSP.

hey!...i posted a google map link on the facebook page under living arrangements that has some common apartment buildings around CCOM.....it is open for anyone to edit so if you could add other apartment complexes that would be great!

here is the link to the map page....

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ssp=...1.839897,-88.007355&spn=0.47268,1.040955&z=10

Wow, that is one of the coolest things I have seen in a while (internet-wise)! That seems really useful! Oh....and thanks!!!

What day of the week does CCOM conduct interviews?

What day of the week does CCOM conduct interviews?

Mine was on a Monday, but I believe they also offered me a Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. I think, can't remember for sure this was back in October.

I'm flying out to Chicago in May with my wife to check out housing and stuff, but we also wanted to spend time doing some fun stuff in the city and outside of a couple layovers at the airport the only time I've been to Chicago was my interview... so I could use some suggestions.

Any thoughts??

I am interviewing at CCOM this month and I am looking for some advice on the interview and school.
What kinds of questions were asked?
What seemed to impress you about the school?
Why have you chosen CCOM over other schools?
Anything else that might help would be appreciated. I figure you guys have already "made it" so who better to get advice from. Thanks!

Also, I have visited Downers Grove quite a lot since I have family there...if I can help with anything about housing, transportation etc. let me know

What kinds of questions were asked?
What seemed to impress you about the school?
Why have you chosen CCOM over other schools?

They asked me all the standard questions of tell us about yourself, why DO, why CCOM, more specifically if I was from AZ why would I want to come to Chicago. Ummmm I believe they also asked me what specialty I was thinking of. I answered that I was somewhat interested in surgical or ER but that I was really looking forward to clinicals to help me decide.

The 3rd year student did throw me a curveball by asking me a question she was asked when she interviewed.... "If you were stranded on an island with no hope of rescue, what book, album, movie, and food would you want to have?"

I laughed a bit at how off the wall it was and responded: Harry Potter, Eagle's Greatest Hits, Dumb and Dumber, and pizza. Because if there is no hope of rescue I would just want to enjoy myself and keep things light.

So that being said my advice is BE YOURSELF! Obviously if I were able to give this answer then there are no right answers and its really just about guiding them through your reasoning.

The other thing is they had definitely read my CV and secondary pretty closely and asked personal questions regarding it. So just be ready to expand on your responses and show what you have learned from your experiences and how it has shaped your idea of what type of physician you would like to be.

Good luck!:thumbup:

Thanks TeamZissou,
I think that is great advice. After having interviewed a few places I realized they are not looking for memorized answers or even a correct answer as much as they are looking for you to be confident and make decisions. It was a good reminder to review my CV and secondary stuff...When I interviewed at AZCOM, they grilled me on that too.

How many weeks does ccom give for prepping for the boards?

well ,well, it seems like yesterday i was sitting in your position, now i am 3 months from graduating from ccom. u guys have all made a good choice going to ccom. I honestly believe i have recieved an unparalleled education at ccom. i got interviews at every place i applied to (mainly allopathic). our school has a great reputation nationally, which i did not realize until i interviewed. that being said, hang on cause u are all in for a ride. these next 4 years are gonna be intense, so enjoy ur next few months. a few words of advice i wish i knew before i started:

1. buy a board review book early, and add to it as u go along during the first 2 years, u will save alot of time doing this.
2. no matter what administration says, absolutely TAKE usmle step 1. i got so many interviews cause of this score.
3. do not cram, study every day and then reinforce it. REPITITION
4.bring a tape recorder to dr. parise lectures 1st year, and dr. boyles lectures during second year, many of the questions will come verbatim from their mouth (not notes)
5. do what works for u; if u do better not going to class, then dont go, no matter what admin tells u.
6.class rank and board exams are not linearly related. just cause u can memorize anatomy notes, does not mean u will get a 600 on comlex. my class rank is 45/162, but i got 85% on step1 and 93% on step 2.
7. compare urself to urself. due to ccom giving # grades there tends to be alot of comparison, dont get hooked on this, it will make u crazy.
8.study hard no matter what u think u want to do. its easier to have the grades for derm, and want family, than the other way around.

thats all i got right right now, feel free to ask me any questions. good luck to you all, u will be fine

well ,well, it seems like yesterday i was sitting in your position, now i am 3 months from graduating from ccom. u guys have all made a good choice going to ccom. I honestly believe i have recieved an unparalleled education at ccom. i got interviews at every place i applied to (mainly allopathic). our school has a great reputation nationally, which i did not realize until i interviewed. that being said, hang on cause u are all in for a ride. these next 4 years are gonna be intense, so enjoy ur next few months. a few words of advice i wish i knew before i started:

1. buy a board review book early, and add to it as u go along during the first 2 years, u will save alot of time doing this.
2. no matter what administration says, absolutely TAKE usmle step 1. i got so many interviews cause of this score.
3. do not cram, study every day and then reinforce it. REPITITION
4.bring a tape recorder to dr. parise lectures 1st year, and dr. boyles lectures during second year, many of the questions will come verbatim from their mouth (not notes)
5. do what works for u; if u do better not going to class, then dont go, no matter what admin tells u.
6.class rank and board exams are not linearly related. just cause u can memorize anatomy notes, does not mean u will get a 600 on comlex. my class rank is 45/162, but i got 85% on step1 and 93% on step 2.
7. compare urself to urself. due to ccom giving # grades there tends to be alot of comparison, dont get hooked on this, it will make u crazy.
8.study hard no matter what u think u want to do. its easier to have the grades for derm, and want family, than the other way around.

thats all i got right right now, feel free to ask me any questions. good luck to you all, u will be fine

Thanks for the advice Dr. BA!

What are your thoughts on living farther away from campus during 1st and 2nd years, specifically Oak park and the 20-30 minute drive each way? Would this be a bad idea / do-able?

Also, do you feel the notes you buy in the bookstore for the classes are sufficient, or would you reccommend getting some text books also? Are these notes straight up outline/bullet point format, or are they actual text-based?

Thanks for the advice Dr. BA!

What are your thoughts on living farther away from campus during 1st and 2nd years, specifically Oak park and the 20-30 minute drive each way? Would this be a bad idea / do-able?

Also, do you feel the notes you buy in the bookstore for the classes are sufficient, or would you reccommend getting some text books also? Are these notes straight up outline/bullet point format, or are they actual text-based?

Living in oak park or even down town is doable, but i wouldnt recommend it. although u arent required to go to class, u are required to go to labs and workshops, so especially during first year u will need to be on campus most days at least for a few hours. we went to anatomy lab most saturdays to review. i lived in yorktown 2. pretty expensive, but a pretty nice place. 5 min from campus.

as for notes, this is all u will need. all exams are exclusively from pre-prepared professors notes. believe me, u will not have time to read anything but these. they are extensive, and extremely thorough. u will not have to take a single note during class (with exception of icm and pom). let me put it this way, for anatomy lecture in order to get a 96-100% u will almost need to be able to recite every word of the professors notes for that testing block. dont be scared by this it is doable, just be prepared.

Does anyone have the email addy for the admissions director or coordinator at CCOM? Thanks!

Living in oak park or even down town is doable, but i wouldnt recommend it. although u arent required to go to class, u are required to go to labs and workshops, so especially during first year u will need to be on campus most days at least for a few hours. we went to anatomy lab most saturdays to review. i lived in yorktown 2. pretty expensive, but a pretty nice place. 5 min from campus.

as for notes, this is all u will need. all exams are exclusively from pre-prepared professors notes. believe me, u will not have time to read anything but these. they are extensive, and extremely thorough. u will not have to take a single note during class (with exception of icm and pom). let me put it this way, for anatomy lecture in order to get a 96-100% u will almost need to be able to recite every word of the professors notes for that testing block. dont be scared by this it is doable, just be prepared.

You are saying, "Dont buy textbooks..." , but what about anatomy atlas? Anyone using any? Thanks