CCOM Class of 2013!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
While we are at it, can you comment on how long CCOM gives students to prepare for boards the 2nd year?

Members don't see this ad.

They asked me all the standard questions of tell us about yourself, why DO, why CCOM, more specifically if I was from AZ why would I want to come to Chicago. Ummmm I believe they also asked me what specialty I was thinking of. I answered that I was somewhat interested in surgical or ER but that I was really looking forward to clinicals to help me decide.

The 3rd year student did throw me a curveball by asking me a question she was asked when she interviewed.... "If you were stranded on an island with no hope of rescue, what book, album, movie, and food would you want to have?"

I laughed a bit at how off the wall it was and responded: Harry Potter, Eagle's Greatest Hits, Dumb and Dumber, and pizza. Because if there is no hope of rescue I would just want to enjoy myself and keep things light.

So that being said my advice is BE YOURSELF! Obviously if I were able to give this answer then there are no right answers and its really just about guiding them through your reasoning.

The other thing is they had definitely read my CV and secondary pretty closely and asked personal questions regarding it. So just be ready to expand on your responses and show what you have learned from your experiences and how it has shaped your idea of what type of physician you would like to be.

Good luck!:thumbup:

If someone asks you a ******* question like that, the answer doesn't matter. Like he/she was really looking for a particular answer? They just wanted to see you squirm a little bit.

I interviewed people as a third year too. I hate that ****ing power trip bull ****.

Members don't see this ad :)
While we are at it, can you comment on how long CCOM gives students to prepare for boards the 2nd year?

It was about 2.5 weeks when I was a second year. You have less than a month between finals and day 1 of clinicals.

If someone asks you a ******* question like that, the answer doesn't matter. Like he/she was really looking for a particular answer? They just wanted to see you squirm a little bit.

I interviewed people as a third year too. I hate that ****ing power trip bull ****.

Hahaha god I'm glad you didn't interview me;)

Where you the type to ask "pressure" questions?

Hahaha god I'm glad you didn't interview me;)

Where you the type to ask "pressure" questions?

Didn't I just say I hated those kinds of people?

Trust me, I bust balls hardcore in real life, but not at an interview.

Didn't I just say I hated those kinds of people?

Trust me, I bust balls hardcore in real life, but not at an interview.

Haha ya I get that impression thats why I was wondering if you did it to the students you interviewed or not.

Question... When you interviewed for residencies do they still ask you questions to test your nerve or is it more straight forward?

Haha ya I get that impression thats why I was wondering if you did it to the students you interviewed or not.

Question... When you interviewed for residencies do they still ask you questions to test your nerve or is it more straight forward?

Uh they ask you why whatever field etc etc. I was asked to read Xrays, tell how I would treat certain fractures, and then general medical questions such as the factors that coumadin involves etc.

Dont worry about books or anything, they are going to tell u when u start what notes and books u will need.

As to what questions they ask at residency interviews this is specialty dependant. From talking to my classmates it seems the surgical and surgical subspecialties seem to be rougher interviews, while primary care is pretty laid back.

well ,well, it seems like yesterday i was sitting in your position, now i am 3 months from graduating from ccom. u guys have all made a good choice going to ccom. I honestly believe i have recieved an unparalleled education at ccom. i got interviews at every place i applied to (mainly allopathic). our school has a great reputation nationally, which i did not realize until i interviewed. that being said, hang on cause u are all in for a ride. these next 4 years are gonna be intense, so enjoy ur next few months. a few words of advice i wish i knew before i started:

1. buy a board review book early, and add to it as u go along during the first 2 years, u will save alot of time doing this.
2. no matter what administration says, absolutely TAKE usmle step 1. i got so many interviews cause of this score.
3. do not cram, study every day and then reinforce it. REPITITION
4.bring a tape recorder to dr. parise lectures 1st year, and dr. boyles lectures during second year, many of the questions will come verbatim from their mouth (not notes)
5. do what works for u; if u do better not going to class, then dont go, no matter what admin tells u.
6.class rank and board exams are not linearly related. just cause u can memorize anatomy notes, does not mean u will get a 600 on comlex. my class rank is 45/162, but i got 85% on step1 and 93% on step 2.
7. compare urself to urself. due to ccom giving # grades there tends to be alot of comparison, dont get hooked on this, it will make u crazy.
8.study hard no matter what u think u want to do. its easier to have the grades for derm, and want family, than the other way around.

thats all i got right right now, feel free to ask me any questions. good luck to you all, u will be fine

One more piece of advice which might be more important than all others. ABSOLUTELY do not buy any piece of equipment except for a steth, reflex hammer, tuning fork. during your first quarter some reps from welch allen will come to campus during an icm lab. they will tell u u must have the 700 dollar set otoscope/opthalmoscope and the cardiology grade steth. buy the basic steth, if u cant hear clinically relevant murmors/crackles/bruits with this then u are deaf anyway. the school should be ashamed of themselves for letting these reps take our money. TRUST ME u do not need these. i bought them, and do u know how many times I have actually taken them to clinic and used them.......0. all clinics, er...etc will have these unless u are on a international rotation. spread the word to your classmates.

One more piece of advice which might be more important than all others. ABSOLUTELY do not buy any piece of equipment except for a steth, reflex hammer, tuning fork. during your first quarter some reps from welch allen will come to campus during an icm lab. they will tell u u must have the 700 dollar set otoscope/opthalmoscope and the cardiology grade steth. buy the basic steth, if u cant hear clinically relevant murmors/crackles/bruits with this then u are deaf anyway. the school should be ashamed of themselves for letting these reps take our money. TRUST ME u do not need these. i bought them, and do u know how many times I have actually taken them to clinic and used them.......0. all clinics, er...etc will have these unless u are on a international rotation. spread the word to your classmates.

The buying of the sets was total bull****. I gave mine to my MD MS2 brother, and he too has never used it. What a ****ing waste.

Would you recommend any prep work prior to beginning school? Would it be a good idea to get a bit of a head start?

Thanks!

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!!! Please dont do this, enjoy your last few months of normalcy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you recommend any prep work prior to beginning school? Would it be a good idea to get a bit of a head start?

Thanks!

Some douche who had studied anatomy showed me up for about the first week of school. Thats about all your head start will get you. I promise.

Hey, if you don't mind me asking, what residency are shooting for? Also, have any recommendations regarding which board review book(s) to get?

anyone know how far the metro extends outside the city and around ccom?..

Hey anyone know how to sync your MWU email with your iPhone?

I'm having a spot of trouble figuring it out...

Not sure if I can post this here but, I am a 4th year at CCOM and I have an apartment for rent in Lombard, about 2.5 miles away from CCOM. Lived here since 1st year, and need to get out of the lease early. The leasing agency will let me go as long as I find someone to sign a 1 yr. contract. I am offering the first month rent free, and the leasing agency is also offering a month free with signing a 1yr contract = 2 free months of rent. The only catch is that the contract would begin May 1st. Here is the link to the add with pics on Craig's list. If you have any questions please ask.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/apa/1097939525.html

Thanks!

Don't waste your time dude... you're time will be much better spent if you do absolutely nothing this summer and just hit the ground running once August starts.

Hi everyone,

I would like to know what current/future students think about the curriculum at CCOM. It seems like CCOM has a lot more in-class time and a more "old-school" schedule than other programs that I have investigated or that people I know attend. How does everyone feel about this and the time alloted for independent study? Does anyone know if they plan to change the curriculum at all in the future?

I did research with a CCOM graduate and she said it was harder during the first year than the second year (opposite of most programs). She did well and really had no complaints.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I would like to know what current/future students think about the curriculum at CCOM. It seems like CCOM has a lot more in-class time and a more "old-school" schedule than other programs that I have investigated or that people I know attend. How does everyone feel about this and the time alloted for independent study? Does anyone know if they plan to change the curriculum at all in the future?

I did research with a CCOM graduate and she said it was harder during the first year than the second year (opposite of most programs). She did well and really had no complaints.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Thanks!

To be honest I did hear about this when I interviewed and spoke with some current students....what really draws me to this school are the frequencies of testing...which are one to two times a week. This reduces cramming and allows students like me to learn the material gradually rather than cram for everything at once.

I'm not too sure about the in-class time. To me it seems like is just about the same as most schools. Could you possible give examples compared to other schools?

Thanks!

To be honest I did hear about this when I interviewed and spoke with some current students....what really draws me to this school are the frequencies of testing...which are one to two times a week. This reduces cramming and allows students like me to learn the material gradually rather than cram for everything at once.

I'm not too sure about the in-class time. To me it seems like is just about the same as most schools. Could you possible give examples compared to other schools?

Thanks!

Thanks for your reply. Hmmm, I was comparing to mostly MD programs like GW, Loyola (which is totally different), Utah (if you couldn't tell by the name)..... many have a couple hours off in the afternoon on maybe 1 or 2 days a week, time that can be used to study or shadow in a clinic. Not a big difference.

Most of the DO schools I interviewed at had 9-4pm or 5pm days. I think at UNE you get an afternoon to do a preceptorship - would be very cool if we had that.

I also just did a little more research and found that the schedule at CCOM changes a bit each quarter, allowing for a little more time outside of the classroom.

The whole reason I started thinking about this is b/c someone asked me if CCOM had an "inferiority complex" when I told them about the curriculum.....

I agree that their exam setup is good for keeping us disciplined, and I'm sure that the same idea goes for the scheduling.

Cheers!

Thanks for your reply. Hmmm, I was comparing to mostly MD programs like GW, Loyola (which is totally different), Utah (if you couldn't tell by the name)..... many have a couple hours off in the afternoon on maybe 1 or 2 days a week, time that can be used to study or shadow in a clinic. Not a big difference.

The whole reason I started thinking about this is b/c someone asked me if CCOM had an "inferiority complex" when I told them about the curriculum.....

Hmmm this is interesting since Utah scored significantly lower than the national average on the boards last year....

Personally I'm all for the frequent testing since I'm a terrible procrastinator and not having tests often in med school would probably be the end of me:rolleyes:

Hmmm this is interesting since Utah scored significantly lower than the national average on the boards last year....

Personally I'm all for the frequent testing since I'm a terrible procrastinator and not having tests often in med school would probably be the end of me:rolleyes:

Yeah, the board score thing comes up a lot w/ Utah. Having lived in UT I think that their student body is made largely of individuals with different priorities than a typical med school class - I don't necessarily believe it is 100% due to poor training. Anyway, that's a different conversation.

But it wasn't someone from Utah who said that to me. I actually didn't mention the testing schedule at CCOM. I was only talking about what classes we take and how often we are in class, which was apparently enough for me to receive the inferiority comment.

Yeah, the board score thing comes up a lot w/ Utah. Having lived in UT I think that their student body is made largely of individuals with different priorities than a typical med school class - I don't necessarily believe it is 100% due to poor training. Anyway, that's a different conversation.

But it wasn't someone from Utah who said that to me. I actually didn't mention the testing schedule at CCOM. I was only talking about what classes we take and how often we are in class, which was apparently enough for me to receive the inferiority comment.

True, many of their students have a large number of outside obligations which may impose on their academics. Although it is a lot of class time I believe the schedule reflects more than their really is. In my MWU AZ interview the students were saying that even though it lists Anatomy Lab quite a few afternoons a week, your group doesn't actually go into the lab during ALL those scheduled times since they rotate groups.

Either way, most of the DO schools I've seen have a similar class schedule unless they are a PBL based track. I guess it's just a difference in style between MD and DO.

Zissou, if you don't mind me asking, what made you choose CCOM over AZCOM? I was accepted to CCOM before my AZCOM interview so I withdrew -- I already had it in my mind that CCOM was my first choice. But I really miss living out west so I'm kind of beating myself up about it now.

And I'm freezing.

True, many of their students have a large number of outside obligations which may impose on their academics. Although it is a lot of class time I believe the schedule reflects more than their really is. In my MWU AZ interview the students were saying that even though it lists Anatomy Lab quite a few afternoons a week, your group doesn't actually go into the lab during ALL those scheduled times since they rotate groups.

Either way, most of the DO schools I've seen have a similar class schedule unless they are a PBL based track. I guess it's just a difference in style between MD and DO.

Wow, I was just about to post a question asking about anatomy labs. I remember hearing from someone that within your cadaver group you are assigned to dissect 2/3 days per week and that coming during the 3rd lab session is optional. I hope it is like that, because I too am fearing this 8-5 schedule. There are quite a few more open afternoons and even mornings in the later 1st and 2nd year quarters, but there is also at least one quarter where a lab goes until 6.

Zissou, if you don't mind me asking, what made you choose CCOM over AZCOM? I was accepted to CCOM before my AZCOM interview so I withdrew -- I already had it in my mind that CCOM was my first choice. But I really miss living out west so I'm kind of beating myself up about it now.

And I'm freezing.

You know, I think they are both good programs and each has their merits. However the increase in class size from ~150 to 250 is HUGE. Combine that with AT Still in Mesa (100 students) and U of AZ's starting of their branch campus adding +40 students in Phoenix and that is just WAY too many med students in Phoenix. Cities like Chicago, Philadelphia, or NYC may be able to adequately support large numbers of med students but I don't feel that PHX has the resources to do so. As evidenced by AZCOM sending 70 students to Ohio for rotations. All this plus the addition of Tauro- NV and Rocky Vista and Pacific Northwest and that is an enourmous number of DO students in the West with almost no expansion of DO residencies. Thus your likely to get channeled into Primary Care, nothing wrong with PC but I want to keep my options open.

So from my point of view going to a DO school in the Midwest will open more doors for me since there are so many more DO residencies there. I really liked how structured everything seemed at CCOM, some say this is bad b/c it doesn't allow individuality and it's too rigid. But personally I'd rather have everything in place for me so I can just focus on learning what I need to, not to mention getting to stay in one city to do all of 3rd year rotations is a BIG plus not all DO schools have.

That being said I grew up in Utah and I've lived in AZ for the last 10 years and I'm definitely gonna miss the outdoor activities and especially the mountains. But Chicago is an amazing city and I'm really looking forward to gaining that experience of living in a big city.

To sum it up, I'm going to med school to bust my ass and do the best that I can, not to snowboard or mountain bike. Therefore, I'm going to the best school I can and for me that is CCOM!

To sum it up, I'm going to med school to bust my ass and do the best that I can, not to snowboard or mountain bike. Therefore, I'm going to the best school I can and for me that is CCOM!

So funny, that was exactly what I thought. I have always decided things based on environment. This time I had to make the best decision for my career and it was really hard because I'm "homesick". I'll get back to Utah someday, even if it is 4 or 8 years from now.....

Well, I'll probably see ya in a few months. Take care!

Haha ya I think I'm gonna cry a bit when I have to sell my bike and board....

Personally I hope to end up in CO, OR, WA or possibly norcal....

I'll definitely be there August 3rd:thumbup:

You know, I think they are both good programs and each has their merits. However the increase in class size from ~150 to 250 is HUGE. Combine that with AT Still in Mesa (100 students) and U of AZ's starting of their branch campus adding +40 students in Phoenix and that is just WAY too many med students in Phoenix. Cities like Chicago, Philadelphia, or NYC may be able to adequately support large numbers of med students but I don't feel that PHX has the resources to do so. As evidenced by AZCOM sending 70 students to Ohio for rotations. All this plus the addition of Tauro- NV and Rocky Vista and Pacific Northwest and that is an enourmous number of DO students in the West with almost no expansion of DO residencies. Thus your likely to get channeled into Primary Care, nothing wrong with PC but I want to keep my options open.

So from my point of view going to a DO school in the Midwest will open more doors for me since there are so many more DO residencies there. I really liked how structured everything seemed at CCOM, some say this is bad b/c it doesn't allow individuality and it's too rigid. But personally I'd rather have everything in place for me so I can just focus on learning what I need to, not to mention getting to stay in one city to do all of 3rd year rotations is a BIG plus not all DO schools have.

That being said I grew up in Utah and I've lived in AZ for the last 10 years and I'm definitely gonna miss the outdoor activities and especially the mountains. But Chicago is an amazing city and I'm really looking forward to gaining that experience of living in a big city.

I think you summed up my feelings perfectly. I am from Utah as well and its going to be really hard leaving behind all the outdoor things I have loved to do all my life (I have gone hiking every weekend that had semi-descent weather for the past month... need to fill the canteen!) But I feel like CCOM will be perfect for me and will open doors for my future career for all those reasons you listed.

Wohoo CCOM! Ok so I have some questions....

Does CCOM require a laptop or have any type of computer requirements? I'm assuming we have to purchase our own, and it it is not part of the tuition

So when do most people take their boards? Because I was looking at the second year schedule and I'm wondering where do people fit in time to study for the boards. I saw someone mentioned on here that there are 3 weeks between classes and the first block of rotations, but is that enough?

Thanks!

Does CCOM require a laptop or have any type of computer requirements? I'm assuming we have to purchase our own, and it it is not part of the tuition

So when do most people take their boards? Because I was looking at the second year schedule and I'm wondering where do people fit in time to study for the boards. I saw someone mentioned on here that there are 3 weeks between classes and the first block of rotations, but is that enough?

CCOM definitely isn't providing us with laptops so ya we have to purchase or bring our own.

I was talking to a current 2nd year about boards and the short amount of study time. Her response was they lighten the course load significantly for spring quarter 2nd year and expect students to be studying all spring quarter in addition to the 3 weeks between classes and rotations. Most MS II's are probably going to take it in the two weeks prior to rotations, probably just depending on when they feel ready.

Even though it's not the 1-2 months provided at other schools it's gotta be enough because people are managing to do it and still getting good residencies.

Hope that helps, I doubt we will get much response from 2nd years because they are so busy with classes and reviewing for boards right now.

Anyone else having issues with the blood titers? I got all of mine done at UofM, but once the results came in there were no quantitative results and they said they didn't provide lab results anymore because insurance companies don't require them. They told me if i really needed the lab values I would have to get the results from a lab in cali, but it would be expensive... I'm starting to think it'd be easier to just drive down to CCOM and get everything done again there. Any wisdom?

Anyone else having issues with the blood titers? I got all of mine done at UofM, but once the results came in there were no quantitative results and they said they didn't provide lab results anymore because insurance companies don't require them. They told me if i really needed the lab values I would have to get the results from a lab in cali, but it would be expensive... I'm starting to think it'd be easier to just drive down to CCOM and get everything done again there. Any wisdom?

I got all of my titers done at a local clinic. I did have some problems because I think they're not used to ordering quantitative titers, but it was all straightened out. They did have to send the results to Quest to get them analyzed. Maybe try contacting a clinic nearby?

anyone know how much utilities would cost on average (per person) in downers grove and surrounding areas....i know it depends on type of housing and that but figured i would try and get a ball park idea. Living on campus for 4 years really deprived me of real-world living knowledge haha.

Anyone out there still looking for roommates?....i think i might just get a 1br., but still open to try and get a 2 br. Anyone have thoughts on living by yourself in med school? Is it important to have daily social interaction outside of school?

anyone know how much utilities would cost on average (per person) in downers grove and surrounding areas....i know it depends on type of housing and that but figured i would try and get a ball park idea. Living on campus for 4 years really deprived me of real-world living knowledge haha.

Anyone out there still looking for roommates?....i think i might just get a 1br., but still open to try and get a 2 br. Anyone have thoughts on living by yourself in med school? Is it important to have daily social interaction outside of school?

I live on-campus at the apartments (we do have to pay for utilities) and they are not bad. We don't have to pay for water, but electric is right between 42-45 dollars a month and gas ranges between 30-55 a month depending on the season. I am living off-campus next year and the place I am living at said that electric runs about 40-50 and gas about 40-50 and water about 15 a month. My apartment now is pretty small, 500 sf, one bedroom, and next year it will be a little bigger, 760 sf, so I am expecting a slight increase. Overall though not too bad, maybe 100-130 dollars a month. I enjoy living by myself. I can do what I want, eat when I want, watch what I want when I want to. There are plenty of people here on campus that I am close to, but the students that do live off campus love it. They are social activities occurring all the time between people going out after exams, to groups going to see movies, to clubs organizing events open to everyone. If you do go off campus I can say that a 2 br would be cheaper b/c you would be splitting the rent. 1 brs are running between 800-1200, and 2 brs are about 1000-1600. I would look around and decide how much money you want to spend. Hope that helps

I live on-campus at the apartments (we do have to pay for utilities) and they are not bad. We don't have to pay for water, but electric is right between 42-45 dollars a month and gas ranges between 30-55 a month depending on the season. I am living off-campus next year and the place I am living at said that electric runs about 40-50 and gas about 40-50 and water about 15 a month. My apartment now is pretty small, 500 sf, one bedroom, and next year it will be a little bigger, 760 sf, so I am expecting a slight increase. Overall though not too bad, maybe 100-130 dollars a month. I enjoy living by myself. I can do what I want, eat when I want, watch what I want when I want to. There are plenty of people here on campus that I am close to, but the students that do live off campus love it. They are social activities occurring all the time between people going out after exams, to groups going to see movies, to clubs organizing events open to everyone. If you do go off campus I can say that a 2 br would be cheaper b/c you would be splitting the rent. 1 brs are running between 800-1200, and 2 brs are about 1000-1600. I would look around and decide how much money you want to spend. Hope that helps

Hey dave don't you get some kind of stipend through this program where it pays for utilities (I forgot what it's called)? You apply through Res life I believe...

Hey dave don't you get some kind of stipend through this program where it pays for utilities (I forgot what it's called)? You apply through Res life I believe...

I remember hearing about that in the beginning of the year, but for some reason I thought you had to be an Illinois resident to receive the aid. I think its like low income residents can get utilities paid for or something like that. I obviously forgot about it, but I did not fret too much about paying for utilities. Now, if you do qualify and remember to do it, then it would definitely make sense to try to get free utilities.

This thread needs to be more lively! We have about two months til it all begins...

So what is everyone doing this summer??

Pitchfork! I'm jealous. I'm actually trying to convince myself that going to Lollapalooza on the weekend right before classes start is an OK idea.

Otherwise I'm being lazy, letting my brain rest, and playing guitar for the next two months. I should probably get a job, though, now that I am doing some extremely detailed number crunching and realizing exactly how poor I will be as a resident and even as a doctor.

Pitchfork! I'm jealous. I'm actually trying to convince myself that going to Lollapalooza on the weekend right before classes start is an OK idea.

Otherwise I'm being lazy, letting my brain rest, and playing guitar for the next two months. I should probably get a job, though, now that I am doing some extremely detailed number crunching and realizing exactly how poor I will be as a resident and even as a doctor.

Yea I know what you mean. I was thinking of taking a vacation but then I was like I'm going to keep working as long as I have this job, make some money...bc its not going to be coming in for awhile now.

Yea I know what you mean. I was thinking of taking a vacation but then I was like I'm going to keep working as long as I have this job, make some money...bc its not going to be coming in for awhile now.

Exactly what I'm doing right now...god $300,000 in debt :scared:

Jealous? You should come! Are you in Chicago/land? I've been to Lolla and Pfork the past few years and while Lolla rocked my face last year, pfork is always way more bang for the buck. This year is going to be great (at pitchfork). Plus Lolla's lineup this year makes me wonder if i'm back in '98

Anyone going to Do-Division Street Fest this weekend?

Hey Soon-to-be-1st years,

I have a collection of books that you might be interested in purchasing for next year. I bought these off of a second year last year and will be returning the favor if anyone is interested. Please PM me or let me know

Books Included:

Physiology Text Book (Berne and Levy)
Rohen Anatomy Atlas (real pics, good for practicals)
Wheaters Histology Text book (helpful for practicals)
Neuroanatomy Atlas (the only book you'll need for the class)

I would still recommend purchasing a Netters Atlas (anatomy illustrations, not real pics), Mosbys Guide for Physical (ICM book), and Biochem book (good board review).

So its not everything you need, but it would be a good start. I got these books for 240, but I'll sell em for less b/c they are a yr older. Let me know ASAP, first come first serve

Hey guys, Whats up?

Thanks TeamZissou for making this thread. I stopped getting on SDN ever since I got accepted to CCOM. Sorry, SDN reminded me of the MCAT and pre-acceptance days. Glad thats over with!!!

But just a quick question for whoever has the time to answer. I'd appreciate it.

I just got offered one of the pines apartments and my move in date is August 1st. But don't we start our orientation that week? Doesn't the school give you a couple of days extra to move in?

I thought orientation was going to start for you first-years on Aug. 3rd and continue till the 6th. Classes don't start till August 10th, so that gives you some time to move in... double check on that though, i could be wrong.