CCOM - Class of 2007!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
kissacefan1978 -
If I remember correctly, there are lockers right outside the anatomy lab for us. As far as lockers everywhere on campus...I actually think I remember someone telling me there ARE lockers available for those who want them. I can not be 100% sure, but this is what I think I remember. Anyway, we for sure get them for anatomy!!:clap:

PS: Does anyone else know for sure (or pretty sure) if they will be attending the special reception on April 25th. Just thought I would refresh everyone's memory (LOL)! :) Talk with you guys later!

Members don't see this ad.

You do get a locker for Anatomy...although they are pretty small and the locker room is cramped! Still, better than nothing...most people "learn" to show up to lab a little early or late so that there is a bit more room in the locker rooms when they get there.

Unfortunately, the reception for incoming students was planned for the same night of the Spring Semiformal, so pretty much all the current students are going to be there instead of the reception.

MS-1
Midwestern University-CCOM

TO all you current CCOMers-

Hello. I know you guys are busy studying for exams, but I was wondering if I could have some your great insight you guys always provide. My question is: for M1 students are there any supplemental books you would buy besides the required texts? Also, what exactly would you all suggest as being necessary gear (ie steth, bp cuff, etc..) an M1 should buy and bring with him to school? Any info would be great, and as always thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Members don't see this ad :)
DO2007:

As far as equipment for first year, I would say the one item you really should buy is a stethoscope. You will use this enough times that it is worth it to have, plus even when you're not using it in class you should be practicing with it on your own. The other pieces of equipment which you are told to buy you could probably get away without having, at least for first year. You spend a little bit of time using things like the otoscope, ophthalmoscope, bp cuff, etc. but you could probably borrow these items for the 2-3 times during the year when you need them. However, I believe you will use these items much more during second and subsequent years, so most people figure they might as well go ahead and buy everything right off the bat. Plus it's not a bad idea to have them now so that you can practice learning how to use them, even if it is not required in class. There is a sale sponsored by SOMA at the beginning of the year where reps from some company come in and peddle their wares, and virtually everyone buys their stuff here at these "discounted" prices. Unless you have some source where you can get these things very cheap or free, I would just wait until then to buy the equipment.

As far as books, there is a very wide range of opinions as to which ones to use. While every class has recommended textbooks, most people rarely if ever get the recommended texts. For instance for Physiology, we had a whole pile of books "recommended" for us to use, but the majority of people (myself included) just bought BRS Physiology. I'm happy with my decision. First quarter books to have:

Anatomy: You need at least an atlas, maybe a textbook. Our lecture notes are very detailed making a textbook unnecessary except for additional pictures and to have a nice reference source. Most people bought Netter, Rohen, and (big or little) Moore.

Histology: You need an atlas. Can't remember the name of the recommended one but different ones are fine.

Biochemistry: Lippincott Biochemistry

Hx of Med: Books? Ha!

ICM: Moseby's Guide to Physical Exam

OMM: Most people didn't buy anything, but they recommend Foundations ($120+)

First quarter probably had the most expensive books, but you will use almost all of them second quarter as well. The only new books to buy second quarter are for Physiology and Psychiatry. Good luck!

MS-1

Claymore-

As always, thank you so much for the info. I really appreciate it!

Everyone -

I was wondering if anyone wants to comment on what kind of hobbies/sports/extracurricular activities you all are into? ? Personally, I enjoy fishing, working out, rollerblading, and basketball. Although these are my favorite, I am truly open to anything fun and interesting!! :) Anyway, I just thought it might be fun to gain some insight into each other's ways to unwind. God knows, being able to unwind will be of interest to all of us one day soon!! ;) Well, I hope you guys are all doing well, talk to you later!!

greetings everyone... i hope by now you have checked out

http://ccom.conforums2.com

as an extra incentive to visit the site, i am working with the webhost to allow CCOM to receive compensation for the advertising that is displayed on the page. ultimately, the funds will be used for the student run clinic endeavor that is currently under way, so the more users, the more posts, the more funds for CCOM and everybody wins. i understand the transition from this website would be pretty difficult, i know that i was addicted to this site my summer before classes but if we could send some CCOM discussion to

http://ccom.conforums2.com

we would all benefit.

furthermore, if there is anything on the site that you would like added or changed, please let me know. this site is for you. in the future, we hope to have class organization sections, real time chat, and maybe even a place for profs to share their insight.

thanks.

-Kevin Boyd MS-1

Hey all-

I'm glad to see such enthusiasm amongst the incoming class. I'm an MS-IV and not to sound too corney but i feel like i'm about to leave and pass the torch on to you guys.

This forum has been going on pretty strong for awhile now b/c i came across it 4yrs ago prior to entering med. school. I, too, was pretty excited and anxious to start school and meet everybody. Many of my classmates used this forum and actually there was one time that a bunch of us went out to dinner during first year..... after the usual bitching about classes, tests, etc. we started talking about this forum and who used which username.

Anyways, i'm writing to tell you all to relax and try to enjoy life right now because in a couple of months life will be totally different. I know that it's hard to relax because when i was in your shoes people told me the same thing and i pretty muched ignored them. The majority of your questions will be answered during orientation. I wouldn't try to study ahead b/c whatever you try to cover now will be covered in a day or two so it's not really worth it. Remember, the stuff in med. school isn't necessarily hard. The material won't kill you, but the volume will. It's all about time management. Once you get into the swing of things you'll find that you read/study/learn/eat/ walk much faster than you've ever done before.

I think, the theme of first year is adaptation. How quickly can you adjust to your new life and the new demands. There's no real secret.......... the key is time management. I'm not saying that you have to become a hermit and just study (eventhough some of my classmate took that approach). You can find time for other things. For example, a lot of us did intramural sports. We had time to go to chicago and enjoy the night life or just plain chilled in downer's grove. There's time for that if you make it available.

All in all, med. school has been a pretty wild ride. I feel that i have a special bond with my classmates. We've gone thru some crazy times together. Emotional, physical, mental highs and lows. Experiences which nobody else can relate to no matter how vivid i try to describe them. Basically, enjoy the journey that you're about to embark on try not to get caught up in all the hoops and hurdles. As one person once said the journey is sometimes more important than the destination. ALWAYS remember why you want to do this in the first place b/c i won't lie to you, there are times when all of us question our choice but what keeps us going is usually what originally made us decide to go to medical school in the first place. anyways, i'm rambling so..........

-tp

Thanks Tp......

Good luck to you in residency! I would love to ask you some questions such as.........What specialty have you chosen? How did the match go? Are you doing an osteopathic or allopathic residency? How many students are going into specialties? etc.....

And believe it or not......I am very relaxed right now. For some reason, I am not too worried about starting school, YET! The only things that are on my mind are the financial aid questions and logistics about moving across country.

Take Care!

to answer your questions:

IMHO i think that my class did exceptionally well in the match. Many people matched at big name institutions and in very difficult fields. In many cases, my classmates and i are one of the first D.Os to "infilitrate" the residency. I didn't hear of anybody scrambling. Most people got their 1st choice. A small handful dropped to number 2 and maybe only a couple of people went lower than the second choice.

During our match day party, i was very impressed with the places people are going. I think the school is compiling a list of where people match. WE traditionally do well in the chicago areas but my class seemed to branch out all over the united states. Big names include UCLA, USC, Brown, UCONN, Darthmouth, Northwestern, Rush, Emory, Univ. of Illinois, Loyola, UC Davis, Cleveland Clinic, Temple, University of Kansas, Vanderbilt, Wisconsin, SIU (southern illinois), Cook County, etc, etc.

My unofficial count makes me believe about more than half went primary care (IM, FP, PEDS, and many include OB/GYN). Of course many of these people in primary care will later do a fellowship and specialize. There is a small handful that's going into anesthesiology. About 20-25 going into ER.... 15 will be at Oly. 5 to pysch, a few in surgery, 1 neurosurgery, 5-7 in radiology, a couple in PM & R, 5 in neurology, 4-5 gunning for ortho, 1 ophtomalogy, 1 urology... i'm probably leaving something out but you get the gist. I think an overwhelming majority went allopathic. Most of the people that went AOA were from michigan. I myself went allopathic.

I, too am preparing for my move west ward. It's definitely a pain in the butt!!! I have an apartment full of furniture and stuff that i'm selling if you need anything.

-tp

Originally posted by SM-UCLA tech
Thanks Tp......

Good luck to you in residency! I would love to ask you some questions such as.........What specialty have you chosen? How did the match go? Are you doing an osteopathic or allopathic residency? How many students are going into specialties? etc.....

And believe it or not......I am very relaxed right now. For some reason, I am not too worried about starting school, YET! The only things that are on my mind are the financial aid questions and logistics about moving across country.

Take Care!

TP-

Maybe you can help? I was wondering if CCOM picks up the malp insurance when doing 3rd and 4th year rotations. Just a general question...I know it is way in the future!!! :) Just curious!
Thanks in advance!! :)

Originally posted by DO2007(ER)
TP-

Maybe you can help? I was wondering if CCOM picks up the malp insurance when doing 3rd and 4th year rotations. Just a general question...I know it is way in the future!!! :) Just curious!
Thanks in advance!! :)

CCOM does cover malpractice insurance and disability insurance.
I believe that this covers you even if you do rotations out of system but i'm not sure. I just know that when i applied for electives, they sent a huge packet to my preceptors which included my evaluation, immunization records (if needed), a blurb about the school and it's expectations for a rotation, and insurance stuff. I don't know how much they cover though

TP -

Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I wanted to hear! One more thing, if you have time, do you think you could explain how the process of choosing 3rd year electives go? I know this is probably an involved question, so take your time or if you don't really have any don't worry I am sure I can research this on my own!:) Thanks again!!!!

Sincerely,

Members don't see this ad :)
TO ALL MY FELLOW 2007 and CURRENT CCOMers:

:) Happy Easter :)

TP -

do you think you could explain how the process of choosing 3rd year electives go? Sincerely,

The set up of rotations changed for the classes after me so i don't know much about it. All i know is there's a computer system called "MEMS" which somehow miraculously spits out your schedule based on where you want to go (i.e. which hospital/ site) and how many people are gunning for these places. In 3rd year there's only one elective month. Obviously, you can't schedule an elective untill you get your schedule.

The key electives are done in 4th year or possibly even late 3rd year. During the beginning of 3rd year, you'll be fumbling around trying to figure out what's going on most of the time. Having an elective at the end of 3rd year is the best. b/c by then you'll have your act together and several rotations under your belt so that hopefully/ideally you can impress the attending and get a letter of rec. This is what i did and so by the time to apply, i didn't have to worry about letters as much b/c i started asking early on.

TO Current MS-I and MS-II:

I was wondering if anyone can offer information regarding this clinic that is suppose to open this fall? How often would we, as MS-I's be involved? What would we be able to offer the patients? Where would it be located? How can we get more involved? Any other general or specific info would be greatly appreciated!! :) Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,

TO Current MS-I and MS-II:

I was wondering if anyone can offer information regarding this clinic that is suppose to open this fall? How often would we, as MS-I's be involved? What would we be able to offer the patients? Where would it be located? How can we get more involved? Any other general or specific info would be greatly appreciated!! :) Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,

I would also be intersted in getting involved in the clinic. Any info would help.

Hello Everbody!

I was just wondering if anyone knew for sure if they will make it to Chicago tomorrow (4/25/03) for the reception. I talked to the admissions director, Raelene Brower, and she told me that they had some really fun things planned for us!! :) I am very excited to finally get to meet people from CCOM!! Anyway, if anyone does go, I say we try to meet outside the restaurant 15-20 minutes early. Just post here if you are going and if this time agrees with your schedule! Hope to saee some of you....see ya later!! :)

I'll definitely be going to the reception tomorrow. It sounds like so much fun! Plus, it's so wonderful that we get to meet some of our classmates before orientation in the fall.

Adam, meeting in front of the restaurant 15-20 min early sounds like a good idea. I'm sure we won't be hard to miss. ;)

See some of you tomorrow!

Damnit!!!! I wish I could be there, however I am stuck here finishing up this god for saken semester. No worries, I will be in chi town around the first of June. Maybe we can all get together or something.

Hello all,
I'm looking for an apartment now. Any suggestions as to where to live? i've been considering Naperville, Aurora, and of course Downers grove. Are these nice places to live? Know any place between CCOM and the city? my girlfriend will possibly be working in the city so we'd like to live somewhere in between.
Oh, and any idea what time class starts in the morning and how long an average day is? This is the kind of stuff i can't find anywhere.
Thanks, see you all soon.
Enjoy your summers. :clap:

oh,
One more question.
Adam, What does BUMP mean?
greatly appreciated

CTashby-
More detailed answers to your questions can be found easily by searching this thread and other threads on this website, which have been discussed before. For some quick answers to your questions I would say classes start at 8am and go until 4 or 5; you may want to rethink Aurora and Naperville if you are planning on going to the city often; and to "Bump" is to move the thread up to the top of the list on the main page. If you have other questions that have not yet been answered, just let me know.

MS-1

When someone types BUMP in a thread it's an effort to keep the thread on the front page of this forum so it won't die. If no one posts here for a while eventually this thread will be relegated to the second page of the forum and die a slow and lonely death.

As far as length of time in class per day, during my interview I recieved a sheet with classes and times per day for MS-1 during the winter quarter of last year and it looks like about 8-4 every day, some days are a bit longer (gross lab till 5), but most of them are 8-4.

Moving Sale

Everything must go!!!!!!!!

For those who don?t know me, my name is Tom and I?m currently an MS-IV living in roscoe village. Alas, my stay in the Midwest will soon come to an end for I will be returning to the great state of California to do my residency. Unfortunately, I won?t be able to take many of my possessions with me on my journey west ergo I?m selling many of the items in my apartment for obscenely low prices. All items are in excellent condition.

Some items of note:

1. Matching burgundy sofas (love seat-$50 and extended sofa-$75)
2. Entertainment stands ($10)
3. Leather swivel chairs ($30)
4. Full size mattress with box spring and bed frame ($60)
5. Coffee table (made by the Swedes?. aka IKEA-$10)
6. Dinning table with matching chairs (comes with an attachment to elongate the table- $45)
7. Desk (can be used as a writing desk or computer desk- $20)
8. Mountain bikes ($25)
9. Lamps ($5-10)
10. Bedside Dressers ($10)
11. X-cargo car rack ($15)
12. upright vacuum cleaner ($20)
13. review books, text books
14. much much more

There are many items which aren?t listed simply because I can?t remember them off the top of my head. Please e-mail me at [email protected] if you?re interested. Keep in mind that I?ll be gone by June so act quick.

Hi Everyone-

My name's Mike Brown, and I'll be attending CCOM with all of you in Sept. I'm from Michigan (Detroit 'Burbs), went to UofM in Ann Arbor, graduated in 2002, and found out about this site from Adam Lee Friday night at the Becco d'Oro function. It was fun and I was glad to meet those who were there.

I have read all of the posts thus far, and it seems like all of you are really on top of your game. I was admitted in November, so I have been kind of putting school on the back burner since then because it seemed so far away. But now, it's sneaked up on me and I need to get moving.

I'm interested in the possible plans at the end of May. I think the last weekend in May is Memorial Day Weekend, and it would be fun to hang with some new friends around that time, if we can get something together. I can help with any planning that may need to be done, just to throw that out there. As for the 4 pages of posts, I have some responses.

Joshua MSU- Where are you from in the Detroit area? I'm from Bloomfield Hills, and thought if you're close, we could meet up. Congrats on graduation from State, too. E-mail if you get a chance, or something.

Adam Lee- Props on starting this forum. Way to be on your game, seriously. It's very useful to network before starting school.

All the rest- Let's get something going to get to know each other. Somebody nail down some dates/times, or whatever. Thanks for your input in advance, and I look forward to meeting everybody.

P.S. I screwed up and made this post a new thread. Still learning this online chat thing - oops.

Hey mike,
nice to hear I'll be attending CCOM with a fellow U of M student. I graduated last year with a degree in general studies. No, it wasn't a blow off major. I got to take a wide variety of classes since i knew i was going into medicine. In any case, i'm still living in ann arbor but i'll be moving home to Northville at the end of May for the rest of the summer.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.
The weather was oh so beautiful here in michigan

Hi everyone-
I?ve been watching this thread for awhile now, and figure that it?s about time that I start posting. My name is Brian, I?m finishing up my undergrad degree at Denison University (three more weeks until graduation, and I have no motivation to study for finals).
Like Mike, I was accepted back in November, and it really hasn?t hit me yet that we will be starting up in a few months. There has been talk about getting together sometime this summer, I definitely would be interested, however I need to be able to make travel plans as far in advance as possible (coming from Ohio), so maybe we could start throwing out some dates that might work.
I also would like to hear about the clinic that a few people have briefly mentioned, but I haven?t been able to find out many other details.
So I guess this is hello, and I?m looking forward to meeting everyone and getting classes started.

Okay, I'll throw out some dates. Good call, Brian. Memorial Day Weekend is Friday May 23 through Monday May 26. That sounds like a longer period of time for people to accommodate traveling to the Chicago area, so it may be advisable to plan something for one day that weekend. What do others think? Thanks.

Originally posted by BPlato
three more weeks until graduation, and I have no motivation to study for finals..

I hear you there. Finals are sneaking up on me and to tell you the truth, I could care less. This semester I've given a whole new meaning to the word apathy. ;)

Hello Everybody:

I feel like I haven't posted much lately, and I happen to be on an unheard of break tonight at work! :) So, I have a few things to talk about.

1) Those dates sound great Mike. I think we all can get together at least for a night in that kind of time span. I say that everyone should post the dates that are NOT good for them, and then we will go from there.

2) As for the clinic, when I was at the Special Reception (which was an awesome time :) :)), I was able to talk with an MS-II about it. I guess that the clinic already exists. What is new about it is that CCOM is going to offer their services to the clinic. He told me that he believes that starting this fall all students will be able to volunteer their time at the clinic every Tuesday. He was not 100% sure, but this is what he thought. Also, he belives that in the near future this will be a mandatory thing. (Finally something that is mandatory that is also fun!! LOL)

Anyway, that is about all I have to say at this moment. Welcome to all the new posters, and remember start posting your dates for getting together in May!! Maybe if enough people are willing to come, us here in CHicagoland can set up something really fun!! :) So long for now!

Memorial Day weekend would work for me. I was also thinking that maybe someone with more balls than I've got would want to try and contact more people in our class (since as Mike pointed out not everyone knows about SDN). If you all have been using the Midwestern webmail it looks like there is a username that goes to everyone in the 2007 class.
Also - would we want to get together in Downers Grove, or Chicago? Maybe that's a question for those that live in the area.

So I've got 'em...

I called the Admissions Director to see if I could get the e-mails of other accepted students for the coming fall, and she said that she'd get on it and likely have a list for me early next week or sometime thereafter. So, the ball is rolling (no pun intended).

My vote would be for Saturday afternoon into the evening, if that's cool with others. I don't know about location, though...

Keep the talk going~

Hi Guys!!!
My name is Dana and I'm going to be joining you guys in the fall!! woo hoo! I met a bunch of you, a few Adams, Mike, and Audry at the specil reception. It was really nice to meet you guys. I hope to meet more of you guys soon. As for getting together I graduate from the University of Illinois is Chambana (that's chamapign and urbana combined- I've been living here for WAY too long) May 18th and I'm free after that. I'm really torn between working and chilling this summer. I work as a phlebotomist which is awsome but I have to get up at 5:30 in the morning and start my shift at 6:30 which sucks. I think I'll just work 3/4 time or something. What's eveybody doing this summer?
Also, any body in our class interested in possibly going into surgery? I'm possibly thinking ENT. Let me know. But for the time being I guess we gotta take it one step at a time. Step 1: getting my ass to graduate! :D

Dana-
I couldn't help but notice you're from Northbrook...a GBN alumnae perhaps? If so that's too bad (I'm GBS '97) but welcome to CCOM anyway. If you have any questions just let us know.

MS-1

Hello soon-to-be MS-I's! I was not too long in your position, anxious to get accepted and then later, to begin. I kind of had an idea of what I was getting into, but I didn't realize I'd be this happy about choosing CCOM. I also didn't quite know what osteopathic medicine really was, or what it is capable of doing. Osteopathic medicine is amazing.

Let me try to answer some of your questions.

The CCOM Clinic currently exists, but is not run by students. What we're hoping is to raise enough money so that students run the clinic as it is done at many other schools. For example, students will see the patients and then present the cases to attendings as if they were the doctor.

You can volunteer now at the clinic, and it is a great experience. It's a community clinic near Chicago Ave and Western. Students can be the intake counselor and take the patients' blood pressure, respiration, weight, heart rate, and write down the patient's chief complaint. If you speak Spanish or Polish, you ae especially needed at the clinic. Students can also shadow the residents.

Classes start at 8, but realize that there are a lot of exams at CCOM. Exams are at 7:30 a.m. 2 days a week. Exams are not every week, but enough so that you'll want to plan your living arrangements to be close by. Also, with anatomy lab twice a week the first two quarters, it helps to live close by so you can shower quickly without contaminating your car, and also visit the lab frequently during the times you don't have class/weekends.

This is the second year that we used MEMS to put in our rotation choices. What is MEMS? It is a computer program that takes into consideration our choices for our rotations, and then uses a lottery to assign each student their rotation for the year based on their choices. As a 3rd year student, we were allowed to choose rotations for Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine subspecialty, Family Medicine, Surgery, Surgery subspecialty, Psychiatry, Pediatrics, OB/GYN, and one elective. You have certain preceptors to choose, and they are associated with different hospitals. Not all hospitals are available for each rotation. I don't want to get into too many specifics, because the clinical sites change every year, and will change for you also. Our main hospital is St. James Olympia Fields, but there are also sites in Indiana and Michigan. You can do your elective anywhere. If you're not familiar with the choices, don't worry. Upperclassmen will help you. Also, you can restrict the computer's choices by location within Chicago, etc.

As far as buying something.....there will be a sale at school to buy certain equipment like a stethoscope, bp cuff, opthalmoscope, etc. If you have one bring it along. If not, don't worry about it. Some people just borrow others also. Netter's Atlas of Anatomy will be a must your first year. Short answer: NO, you not NEED to buy anything before orientation.

Bring old shoes to wear to anatomy lab.

Hope this helps. Congratulations! Have no doubts. You picked a great school.

Looks like I'm going to miss out on all of the fun. I'm not going to be getting my butt out of MO until the first part of June. Oh well, perhaps we can arrange another time. As far as IlliniDOc's question about people interested in surgery, I'm leaning towards orthopedic surgery. :)

I am all for the Saturday (5/24/03) before Labor Day. I really don't care either way! I just really want all of us to get together!:) Props to Mike for getting the "ball" rolling on the email list. That will be very very helpful in the future. Also, I wanted to ask everyone what they would like to do when we get together. There are numerous clubs to go to, but it would not be a quiet spot for everyone to get to know each other. Thankfully, though, in chicagoland (chicago, downers grove, naperville, etc...) there are many many places where a group could congregate for dinner and drinks and conversation!! If I were to add my $0.02, then I would have to suggest downtown naperville. Especially if it is a nice evening, they have a few places with outside seating/eating/bar areas!! :) Anyway, that's my suggestion...any others?? Well, I hope this thread just takes off with more people finding it, I think it has really served a purpose for our class!! Have a great day...and I will chat with you guys later!!

PS: Mike, if you send out a mass e-mail, try to include this thread's website in it...thanks!! :)

Hey Everyone.....

Like Adam...I haven't posted for a while........

It's so great to see so many people posting on here now.

Well.....since I believe I was the one who brought up the May get together, I will ask to request that we DO NOT get together on the Saturday or Sunday. I ask this because I have a wedding to attend, and those days I will be kept pretty busy.......So I am asking if we can get together on Friday or Monday, ( which is Memorial Day).

As far as location, I think that going downtown might be a lot more fun than getting together in Downers Grove.

I'll hopefully see everyone soon.....!!!

Hey Gang,

I want to introduce myself. I am another Wolverine grad from detroit rock city. Mike told me about this forum. Currently I am working for an underground construction company and saving my pennies. not your typical job for pre-meds, but it is fun and I get to be outdoors. I am starting med school with an open mind as far as a specific area of medicine is concerned. I will be living in the traditional dorms at CCOM> any of you living in the dorms? THe Navy is picking up my med-school tab, are any of you in the HPSP program?the people at CCOM was a huge factor in my decision. this forum is just another example. I hope all of you are as cool in person as you have been.
I can't wait to start. come august i will be chopping at the bit.

take care jimmy
oh, and for our KISS fan.."Lick IT Up" simply rocks

Hi Claymore,
I may live in Northbrook but I am NO GBN alum. GBS class of '99 baby!!! In case anyone is wondering GBN is the bastard school of the northshore , to us anyways. I'm sorry if there are any GBN alums going to CCOM next year, no disrespect to you guys. What's your name? That is so wierd, I guess it's a small world after all.:clap:

First of all, let me thankyou for those that have supported the new CCOM web forum at

http://ccom.conforums2.com or www.ccomforum.tk

----the initial feedback has been great. Based on the questions concerning the Community Clinic, I will be posting a section on the site describing all of the details. Secondly, we have received tremendous support from Northstar -THE Loans in raising funds for the Community Clinic. Their initial support has nearly met half of our $12,000 goal.

Thanks for the info, kb498. I am going to use it when I speak to Fin Aid Office on Monday.

As far as our plans go, I would prefer Saturday over any other day, merely because of travelling to the Chicago area. For those of us who do not live there, it allows time to get there and then get back home. I am sorry about this SM UCLA, but I imagine if we meet this early in the summer, we'll likely meet again before school starts. Any other comments regarding this?

I still have not received any notice about an e-mail list, but will let all know when I do. Have a good weekend, everyone.

The only problem I have is that I'm coming from Los Angeles and I won't be back in Chicago until the end of August :(

But.....whatever day is chosen, I will do my best to meet up with everyone.

( I still think Friday is a great day! hehe )

kristopher

Hey CCOMers,

I am a student at TCOM in Texas, class of 2006. I was hoping someone could answer a couple of questions about Chicago that I am curious about. I love Chicago, and lived just north of it in Great Lakes as a Navy guy for a while. There are almost always sites in Chicago for NHSC payback, and if I get the scholarship, this would be a great option. I might want to become affilliated with CCOM and eventually work toward a faculty position, but that is way in the future. I am just curious as to whether a physician, especially an FP, can make enough to enjoy the lifestyle of Chicago. I was looking at houses in Downers Grove and they are really expensive. Do most people move out further or what? And does anyone know anything about the FM residencies in Chicago? How are the DO residencies compared to the allopathic one there? So is CCOM in a nice part of town? Thanks.

PACtoDOC:

Hello. First, I do not know the details about the scholarship, but I hope I can answer a few questions for you. CCOM is in a great part of town. Downers Grove is one of the more affluent cities in the chicagoland suburbs. The city is full of luxurious homes, great shopping centers, and some really scenic parks and walkways.
There are also many great cities nearby. Naperville, Aurora, and Oakbrook just to name a few. Also, all very well to do populations. I personally know many many FPs at my hospital who live in these great cities. Trust me, I don't ever hear them complaining that the wished the had not chosen FP!! :) As for the residency I could not find anything for CCOM in particular for FP. Maybe you would have to do a residency (osteopathic) outside of Illinois, I am sorry but I really don't know for sure. Anyway, I hope this helped you some...have a great day and good luck with finals if you have not already taken them! :)

What's up guys. I really think all of us who are planning on getting to gether over the holiday weekend should start to throw out their preferences for days. Before we know it that weekend will have come and pass, and I never like to leave things to the last minute! :) Anyway, Friday is fine for me, but I am open to any day. Sorry kristopher if everyone cannot not get together on your time off. But, as stated earlier, I do think that there will be another time for all those who will miss out this time around!! Well, I have to get back to work so I hope to see more dates posted soon!! :) I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend and have a great day!! :)

Originally posted by jethro
Hey Gang,

I want to introduce myself. I am another Wolverine grad from detroit rock city. Mike told me about this forum. Currently I am working for an underground construction company and saving my pennies. not your typical job for pre-meds, but it is fun and I get to be outdoors. I am starting med school with an open mind as far as a specific area of medicine is concerned. I will be living in the traditional dorms at CCOM> any of you living in the dorms? THe Navy is picking up my med-school tab, are any of you in the HPSP program?the people at CCOM was a huge factor in my decision. this forum is just another example. I hope all of you are as cool in person as you have been.
I can't wait to start. come august i will be chopping at the bit.

take care jimmy
oh, and for our KISS fan.."Lick IT Up" simply rocks

Hi Jimmy! Yes, it does rock ;)