Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Emails from Christian! Including computer news and the first assignment.

Re the latter, by "Objective 5" they mean "4," right?

28 DAYS

Members don't see this ad.

Emails from Christian! Including computer news and the first assignment.

Re the latter, by "Objective 5" they mean "4," right?

28 DAYS

Yup, objective four is the one we answer - I e-mailed Dr. Frank and his response was "Four objectives only."

Pretty awesome news about the Apple updates! Faster machines at lower prices! :D

I orginally signed up for a macbook, but now i am considering the macbook pro. Is there anything different between the mb and the mbp besides a slightly faster processor, more memory, and a larger screen size? I'm trying to find a reason to justify spending an extra $500 when the pro seems only slightly better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I orginally signed up for a macbook, but now i am considering the macbook pro. Is there anything different between the mb and the mbp besides a slightly faster processor, more memory, and a larger screen size? I'm trying to find a reason to justify spending an extra $500 when the pro seems only slightly better.

Memory appears to be the same as per the newly-updated specs, but the 15" MBP does have a bigger hard drive. Other than that, as you say, the only major differences between the 13" and 15" models are the screen size (which of course makes the entire machine a bit bigger) and CPU speed.

Some other little differences:
* The 13" is one pound lighter, weighing in at 4.5 lbs instead of the 15" 5.5 lbs
* The 13" only has a single port for audio in/out, meaning you can't use both headphones and a microphone at the same time unless you use something like the Apple headset with microphone (or another device that can receive and send audio via a single connection - of which there are many), while the 15" has two separate ports. This might matter to you if you use something like Skype and have a particular headset you want to use, but otherwise, you'd probably never even notice it.
* The 13" doesn't have an optical digital audio input. Which the overwhelming majority of people never use anyway.

If you don't have an explicit need for any of the above, I think it really comes down to which physical size machine you're more comfortable with. Both have pretty massive hard drives (160GB vs 250GB), both come with a 250GB external drive and the processor speed difference isn't terribly much, so if the 13" suits you, I say go for it.

I am not happy about integrated graphics. Are we sure the new 15" configuration actually has that 9600T card?

I couldn't justify the expense of the MBP before the new specs came out and I think the gap has only widened now. The extra screen space would be nice but not worth the money.

Also, I talked to access services and parking in lot 53 (across the street from the med building) will cost $700 for the year. I think I'll be walking :/

I am not happy about integrated graphics. Are we sure the new 15" configuration actually has that 9600T card?

Pretty sure it's actually the 9400M, as opposed to both the 9400M+9600M. The 9600M only comes in the 2.66GHz or higher 15", and unfortunately Case ITS seems to be only going with the base level configuration.

Pretty sure it's actually the 9400M, as opposed to both the 9400M+9600M. The 9600M only comes in the 2.66GHz or higher 15", and unfortunately Case ITS seems to be only going with the base level configuration.

:cry:

Why the sad face? It's the same GPU they used in the last rev.. Or did you want the 9400+9600 combo or something like a 9800?

So how're y'all spending your time in Cleveland? Planning to move in about two weeks. Trying to sort and pack and sell stuff on Craigslist. Ick.

I'll be out there just in time for my birthday. Discovered any good places for a little celebrating?

So how're y'all spending your time in Cleveland? Planning to move in about two weeks. Trying to sort and pack and sell stuff on Craigslist. Ick.

I'll be out there just in time for my birthday. Discovered any good places for a little celebrating?

We've found the fast food in coventry.:thumbup::laugh: We've also found a couple of pretty good restaurants next to campus. Also, we've determined that 1-2-1 gym is waaaay better than Veale.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ok, I know there are others of you out here. Show yourselves!!

if anyone is planning to buy the Ipod touch with cash, mr. pilasky said they won't have that much change (at least not $51 worth)

Members don't see this ad :)
We've found the fast food in coventry.:thumbup::laugh: We've also found a couple of pretty good restaurants next to campus. Also, we've determined that 1-2-1 gym is waaaay better than Veale.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

the zoo was pretty awesome.

if anyone is planning to buy the Ipod touch with cash, mr. pilasky said they won't have that much change (at least not $51 worth)

If anyone is planning to buy the iPod Touch with cash, please come see me and I'll sell you my brand new one for $10 less than Case will the minute they hand it over to me. :D I'll even bring $61 worth of change!

Hey, I just got here, loving it so far. Are most of you guys in coventry? I'm by overlook road myself...still trying to decide what to do with my room...

Hey, I just got here, loving it so far. Are most of you guys in coventry? I'm by overlook road myself...still trying to decide what to do with my room...

A little further down on Mayfield, in The Triangle. Coventry/Little Italy/Cleveland Heights really seems to be a nice place to live. We should all meet up! Like Myuu said, a few of us have already been doing some exploring of the area. I figure it's good preparation for the rumored party that is block one. :laugh:

im so jealous of you guys right now....i still got two more weeks before i come down.:mad:

im so jealous of you guys right now....i still got two more weeks before i come down.:mad:

Hey, no worries. By the time you get here, we'll be Cleveland experts and can show you around and find a place for Druzie's birthday! ;)

A little further down on Mayfield, in The Triangle. Coventry/Little Italy/Cleveland Heights really seems to be a nice place to live. We should all meet up! Like Myuu said, a few of us have already been doing some exploring of the area. I figure it's good preparation for the rumored party that is block one. :laugh:

I just accidentally hitchhiked.:eek:

Why on earth do people ask me for directions even after I tell them I've only been here two days and am clearly traversing on foot??:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sweet elderly couple.:laugh::thumbup:

I'm also in the Triangle, but I was just walking down in that area (not that I knew where I was going)! We should hang out. :D

Awesome, we definitely should..I think I'm gonna make a little dinner for my roomates tonight..nothing special, just pasta w/sauce and some wine ;)... after I go running though (have to shake off this airplane vertigo).

So where should we meet up? I'd offer my place, but I'm not sure how comfortable my roomies would feel with that..kinda wanna play it cool for now.

So where should we meet up? I'd offer my place, but I'm not sure how comfortable my roomies would feel with that..kinda wanna play it cool for now.

There's a bunch of places in University Circle/Little Italy/Coventry with outdoor seating. I vote for that. We were at a restaurant/bar in Little Italy last night and the waitress, who was super nice (she sat and hung out with us after her shift), is having her birthday there Wednesday night. We should def all hit that up.

There's a bunch of places in University Circle/Little Italy/Coventry with outdoor seating. I vote for that. We were at a restaurant/bar in Little Italy last night and the waitress, who was super nice (she sat and hung out with us after her shift), is having her birthday there Wednesday night. We should def all hit that up.

I'd be down with that.:thumbup:

Wake me up when you've picked something out.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'd be down with that.:thumbup:

Wake me up when you've picked something out.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Aww, I'm jealous! I won't be there until July 6, but at least I will be living in Little Italy, so let's definitely plan some celebrations there that week. :D

Aww, I'm jealous! I won't be there until July 6, but at least I will be living in Little Italy, so let's definitely plan some celebrations there that week. :D

We can have a "we finally got our computers" celebration. And I'm sure we can think of other excuses to celebrate. :laugh:

We can have a "we finally got our computers" celebration. And I'm sure we can think of other excuses to celebrate. :laugh:

I'm pretty sure "you just got here(!)" is a valid excuse.:thumbup:

I'm pretty sure "you just got here(!)" is a valid excuse.:thumbup:

Oh, that's a good one. So is "Today's your second day in Cleveland(!)"

you guys already got your computers? i thought you could only get them at the orientation session...im confused

you guys already got your computers? i thought you could only get them at the orientation session...im confused

Oh, no. Not yet! Sirius08 is going to the same orientation session as st0w and I are, so a night out is in order!:thumbup::laugh:

Oh, that's a good one. So is "Today's your second day in Cleveland(!)"

As will be, "today is our 153rd day of med school!" and so on. ;)

Yes, we should go out directly after our computer session (and our less fortunate classmates should also attend, of course!). And you tech-savvy folks can instruct me on just how amazing our new machines are (not that I'm not already a spokesperson-worthy fan of macs).

Looking forward to our relaxing, resort-like experience of summer in Cleveland! :D

Yes, we should go out directly after our computer session (and our less fortunate classmates should also attend, of course!). And you tech-savvy folks can instruct me on just how amazing our new machines are (not that I'm not already a spokesperson-worthy fan of macs).

Nah, that Mac you ordered is useless. I'll do something nice for you and trade you an old Dell laptop for it - it'll be a sacrifice for me to give up a Dell for a Mac, but I'm willing to do it so you have a better med school experience. :smuggrin:

Nah, that Mac you ordered is useless. I'll do something nice for you and trade you an old Dell laptop for it - it'll be a sacrifice for me to give up a Dell for a Mac, but I'm willing to do it so you have a better med school experience. :smuggrin:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thank you, but of course I could never accept such a generous offer! However, you do have a point... maybe I should use one of my two old Dell laptops instead of my new macbook (or the 2008 MBP that I'm currently typing on).

Wait... those Dell laptops don't work at all anymore. Sigh.

:p

Thank you, but of course I could never accept such a generous offer! However, you do have a point... maybe I should use one of my two old Dell laptops instead of my new macbook (or the 2008 MBP that I'm currently typing on).

Wait... those laptops don't work at all anymore. Sigh.

Well, the IIe was really the height of apple's development history. It just all went downhill after that.

Your new macbook pro might be an excellent paperweight, though. Or perhaps even a doorstop!

Well, the IIe was really the height of apple's development history. It just all went downhill after that.

Your new macbook pro might be an excellent paperweight, though. Or perhaps even a doorstop!

I would, except it's a little light for that. That darned aluminum unibody architecture. ;)

I would, except it's a little light for that. That darned aluminum unibody architecture. ;)

Use it for tanning! It'd be great to reflect the sunlight to get total chin tanning coverage. And I bet you can cook on it in the sunlight in the summer. MacBook Pro brunch picnic? (edit.. HAH.. MBPBP)

Use it for tanning! It'd be great to reflect the sunlight to get total chin tanning coverage. And I bet you can cook on it in the sunlight in the summer. MacBook Pro brunch picnic? (edit.. HAH.. MBPBP)

HAHAHA. That sounds fantastic!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'll volunteer my old Dells as a grilling surface - they're ready to burn just a few minutes after startup. :laugh:

In other news, I'm about halfway done with "Complications"... what a compelling read, I've enjoyed every bit of it so far. :)

I'm so jealous! Y'all are already making trouble together.

Dare I ask when everyone's computer orientation session is?