Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
President Obama mentioned the Cleveland Clinic in his radio address this week.

You can watch a video of the address (I guess it's a video address) here:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/Weekly-Address-President-Obama-Calls-for-Real-Health-Care-Reform/

He also mentions the Mayo clinic which was featured in a fascinating article in the new yorker written by the same author who wrote our pre-class book. It's worth checking out,

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/06/01/090601fa_fact_gawande

Members don't see this ad.

President Obama mentioned the Cleveland Clinic in his radio address this week.

You can watch a video of the address (I guess it's a video address) here:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/Weekly-Address-President-Obama-Calls-for-Real-Health-Care-Reform/

He also mentions the Mayo clinic which was featured in a fascinating article in the new yorker written by the same author who wrote our pre-class book. It's worth checking out,

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/06/01/090601fa_fact_gawande

that actually is a very eye-opening article. thanks for the tip!

Atul Gawande is an AMAZING writer, so I'm glad to hear we're starting off with that. I've read "Complications" and "Better," as well as numerous articles of his from the New Yorker. He boils down very complex medical issues into things that everybody can understand, and does so in a way that doesn't patronize the reader. And his style is very enjoyable to read.

I arrived in Cleveland on Friday and have been getting settled into the new place. Although people who've lived here for years can say better than I, on several past trips I've never felt unsafe in Little Italy or Cleveland Heights. On one of those trips, I spent a couple hours walking around both neighborhoods at night with another guy until about 11PM. Granted people are probably going to leave two six-foot plus tall guys alone at night, but it didn't feel shady at all to me. Just don't go down Euclid past Mayfield... That's a whole different story.

And Myuu, only an hour and a half until WWDC. :D Case ITS put a note on the computer page that they're holding off on the Apple order in case there are any speedbumps or other updates announced today. :xf: I know everybody is expecting the new iPhone announcement, but I don't think so - it's a developer conference, and Apple has repeatedly said they want to do consumer products via direct to consumer events. So I'm banking on a special event in a few weeks for the iPhone, a la last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
10:11 am The 17" MacBook Pro has also been updated -- 2.8GHz CPU, 500GB HD, retains ExpressCard Slot. All shipping today.
10:11 am Standard configurations range from $1,699 to $2,229.
10:10 am Starts at a lower price -- $1,699.
10:09 am But there's a lot more -- fastest notebook they have ever made. Up to 3.06 Dual Core CPU. Up to 8GB of RAM. Up to 500GB 7200RPM HD. Or, 256GB SSD.
10:08 am The new 15" has a brand new display; nicest in any of their laptops. 60% color gamut increase. Now has a SD card slot.
10:07 am Typical user will get 5 years of use before seeing diminished battery life. Most customers will never need to replace the battery. When it does need to be replaced, recycling options available at Apple stores.
10:07 am New battery, lasts up to 7 hours. More eco-friendly -- gets up to 1,000 charges.
10:06 am Customers love the unibody design. Even though Apple has a lead with the design, they want to take it further. All new 15" MacBook Pro.

10:15 am Recently updated, the white plastic MacBook. Also upgrading the Air today. Prices changing to $1,499 to $1,799 -- up to 2.13GHz CPU.
10:14 am The 13" MacBook Pro is also available today.
10:14 am The 13" MacBook is now called a MacBook Pro. Starts at $1,199. Cheaper than the MacBook it replaces. Ranges from $1,199 to $1,499 in standard configurations.
10:13 am At what point isn't this just a MacBook Pro? It can even expand to the same levels of RAM and HD as the MacBook Pros. The backlit keyboard is now standard in it as well. Also, FireWire 800.
10:12 am Updating the 13" MacBook today as well. Gets the new display, SD card slot and better battery life.

I see we're both following MacRumorsLive :)

Always good to know I'll have a fellow Apple geek to geek out with. ;)

:D :D

I converted a year ago, but I'm pretty happy I did. Unix certification was the tipping point for me, as irrational as that is.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:D :D

I converted a year ago, but I'm pretty happy I did. Unix certification was the tipping point for me, as irrational as that is.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

hahahaha... I actually started on Macs, way back in the System 6 days. Always loved them, and even when I got into Linux/BSD in the mid-90s, I still had a Mac. When OSX was announced with Darwin, I was ecstatic. Ran IT for a design shop at the time, and they all laughed when we got the beta and I just sat there with a terminal open and a big grin on my face. :)

hahahaha... I actually started on Macs, way back in the System 6 days. Always loved them, and even when I got into Linux/BSD in the mid-90s, I still had a Mac. When OSX was announced with Darwin, I was ecstatic. Ran IT for a design shop at the time, and they all laughed when we got the beta and I just sat there with a terminal open and a big grin on my face. :)

Terminaaaaaaaaaal. Not that I do anything with it... but the fact that it's there makes me happy.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Terminaaaaaaaaaal. Not that I do anything with it... but the fact that it's there makes me happy.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

hahaha... iTerm is much better anyway. ;)

Rumor within a rumor: supposedly apple just sent out a PR notice saying snow leopard will be available in september for $30.:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Rumor within a rumor: supposedly apple just sent out a PR notice saying snow leopard will be available in september for $30.:eek:

$29 for current Leopard users. :)

iPhone time... let's see if it's just iPhone OS 3.0, or a whole new phone..

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet

11:18 am App supports custom Push notifications based on parameters you define. Shows a live monitor of the patient's vitals from anywhere.
11:17 am Airstrip lets medical professionals monitor patient medical data. The medical community is flocking to the iPhone because of apps like this. Showing their next app, Critical Care.

f1244485125.jpg

C'moooooon price drop! :D :D :D

Nahhhh, not today. Expect a special iPhone event in 3-4 weeks when they announce the 32GB iPhone Video. Then maybe there will be a price drop - although I doubt by much, if at all.

I wonder what the macbook updates mean for us?

and St0w, I also used system 6 back in the day. I remember having a 2si with a 40 MB (yeah, megabyte) hard drive.

New iPhone~~~

Indeed! I stand corrected. I was gonna get the new one anyway, so I'm glad to have been wrong. hahaghaha

12:00 pm Apple wants the iPhone to be more affordable. The existing 8GB iPhone 3G will remain -- for $99.

$99 iPhone!

Yezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Too bad it's the old one. ;_;

So how awesome is that? Speed/screenbumps for the macbook pros, new expensive iPhone, same old iPhone but actually affordable...:love:

So how awesome is that? Speed/screenbumps for the macbook pros, new expensive iPhone, same old iPhone but actually affordable...:love:

SO awesome! Last I checked today, the Case ITS page said they're going to try to get the upgraded machines for us. Boy would that suck if they can't. :scared: But I'm sure they will, they seem to really be on the ball.

SO awesome! Last I checked today, the Case ITS page said they're going to try to get the upgraded machines for us. Boy would that suck if they can't. :scared: But I'm sure they will, they seem to really be on the ball.

Twitter feed said they were going to try and generate a new spec table for us. Can't wait! They're so good to us! :D

My partner and I went to the Cleve this past weekend and found a place (the third one we saw). The housing availability right now is ridiculous. Today a bunch of the people we contacted (all through Craigslist) called/emailed to ask what we decided and why and how they could improve their properties. Looks like everyone is desperate for tenants.

Anyway, I plan to be walking to class. The Little Italy/Cedar-Fairmount area is so close and seems quite safe.

My partner and I went to the Cleve this past weekend and found a place (the third one we saw). The housing availability right now is ridiculous. Today a bunch of the people we contacted (all through Craigslist) called/emailed to ask what we decided and why and how they could improve their properties. Looks like everyone is desperate for tenants.

Anyway, I plan to be walking to class. The Little Italy/Cedar-Fairmount area is so close and seems quite safe.

So wait...why would anyone getting a dell from case ever buy the ipod touch? they can save $50 and get an iphone. Even if they don't get the contract with ATT they have the same functionality as the ipodtouch with the option of getting a phone plan at a later date.

Yeah, I hope we can all get free "old" iphones. I would dig that :)

So wait...why would anyone getting a dell from case ever buy the ipod touch? they can save $50 and get an iphone. Even if they don't get the contract with ATT they have the same functionality as the ipodtouch with the option of getting a phone plan at a later date.

Yeah, I hope we can all get free "old" iphones. I would dig that :)

You can't legally get the phone without the AT&T plan AFAIK.

its called ebay yo!:laugh:

I said legally. The ebay ones would have to be unlocked in order for them to be of any use. Besides, if you're buying them unlocked on ebay, you probably will end up paying more than the $99, at least initially.

You can't legally get the phone without the AT&T plan AFAIK.

You can, but not at that price. The Apple and AT&T advertised prices include the typical $300 subsidy by the carrier (at least, that was the case in the past so I'm assuming it still will be). In order to make such a purchase, you have to go to the Apple Store and purchase it there. Possibly also the AT&T store, but I'm not sure. If that holds true, expect 16GB iPhone 3GS to be $499 and 32GB $599.

And yes, jailbreaking is pretty damned awesome. If anyone needs info on how to jailbreak an iPhone, let me know. :whistle: :smuggrin:

But an unlock probably won't be out for a while. It took the dev-team about six months to come up with an iPhone 3G unlock, and the hardware is different for the 3GS. I'm sure they'll come up with one at some point, but probably not for a long while.

You can, but not at that price. The Apple and AT&T advertised prices include the typical $300 subsidy by the carrier (at least, that was the case in the past so I'm assuming it still will be). In order to make such a purchase, you have to go to the Apple Store and purchase it there. Possibly also the AT&T store, but I'm not sure. If that holds true, expect 16GB iPhone 3GS to be $499 and 32GB $599.

And yes, jailbreaking is pretty damned awesome. If anyone needs info on how to jailbreak an iPhone, let me know. :whistle: :smuggrin:

But an unlock probably won't be out for a while. It took the dev-team about six months to come up with an iPhone 3G unlock, and the hardware is different for the 3GS. I'm sure they'll come up with one at some point, but probably not for a long while.

st0w wins! :( http://www.informationweek.com/news/personal_tech/iphone/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=217800166

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm excited that I'm going to a place where my classmates will be able to answer any tech question I may have (if I'm too lazy to find it myself). :p :thumbup:

Here's to hoping we get some kind of sweet deal with our macs!

Oh, and my book came in the mail today. I guess it's time to get started with homework, lol.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm excited that I'm going to a place where my classmates will be able to answer any tech question I may have (if I'm too lazy to find it myself). :p :thumbup:

Here's to hoping we get some kind of sweet deal with our macs!

Oh, and my book came in the mail today. I guess it's time to get started with homework, lol.

I'm going to go ahead and say thank you in advance to my tech-savvy classmates. :D

Is there an actual assignment yet? Or so far we've just been told to read the book...?

P.S. I saw "Up" in 3D today. So cute!!!!! I recommend it.

I'm going to go ahead and say thank you in advance to my tech-savvy classmates. :D

Is there an actual assignment yet? Or so far we've just been told to read the book...?

I concur on the advance thank yous! As for our homework, iapply says that we should receive the assignment soon (by the end of this week?).

Hey, doesn't orientation officially start a month from today? :)

Now that I'm not working I have all this time to peruse everything we've been sent and fret about starting... :oops:

So, am I missing something, or have we not received a schedule for orientation events? Everything I have is for the c/o 2011. I'm afraid I'm missing RSVP deadlines and stuff! :scared:

So, am I missing something, or have we not received a schedule for orientation events? Everything I have is for the c/o 2011. I'm afraid I'm missing RSVP deadlines and stuff! :scared:

If you check at the very bottom of your iApply status page, you should see a header "Class of 2013 Orientation Information" which has a sole, lonely link titled '*NEW* Pre-Enrollment Info' that has some valuable info. The link points to here:

https://iapply.case.edu/pre-matric-welcome.aspx

Hey, I know a joke! A squirrel walks up to a tree and says, "I forgot to gather acorns for the winter and now I am dead." Ha ha! It's funny because the squirrel gets dead.

i <3 doug

Hey, I know a joke! A squirrel walks up to a tree and says, "I forgot to gather acorns for the winter and now I am dead." Ha ha! It's funny because the squirrel gets dead.

i <3 doug

good movie

If you check at the very bottom of your iApply status page, you should see a header "Class of 2013 Orientation Information" which has a sole, lonely link titled '*NEW* Pre-Enrollment Info' that has some valuable info.

Ah yes, I've been using that. But nothing new under "Events & Activities." :( I will keep waiting.

So good :D

Ah yes, I've been using that. But nothing new under "Events & Activities." :( I will keep waiting.

There's a little under 'Pre-Orientation Information List' - but yeah, not too much just yet.

It sounds like you're really close. I wouldn't waste the money on it.

A question for any current students and/or folks who know the area well - would you imagine that I will need a parking pass (for any reason) if I live in Little Italy? I'll be close to the Cornell St. bridge, so it seems like the walk would be just as easy, if not easier, than driving to the parking garage...

Haven't received the book for the first assignment yet, but I'm glad to hear that it's interesting. :D

How bad is the walk during the winter? I've decided against getting a car, at least for M1. Would walking a mile in Cleveland winter be completely nuts? I'm from Massachusetts, so not a stranger to the cold, but then again, I have a car in Mass :rolleyes: so I never walk anywhere in the winter.

I don't think a mile in the winter is bad, but I may be biased as I've lived in cold places all of my life. Depending on where you're living, the only factor would be that Cleveland Heights leaves something to be desired in the snow clearing department. As a result, the sidewalks on Cedar and Euclid Heights can get a bit choppy, but the weather itself wasn't bad at all this past winter and a lot of students walked.

How bad is the walk during the winter? I've decided against getting a car, at least for M1. Would walking a mile in Cleveland winter be completely nuts? I'm from Massachusetts, so not a stranger to the cold, but then again, I have a car in Mass :rolleyes: so I never walk anywhere in the winter.