Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why are y'all so eager to know? Takes the fun out of sorting. ;)

I really do wish they sorted us :(

Members don't see this ad.

I really do wish they sorted us :(

Meaning you wish the Sorting Hat were involved?

are you implying it's not random?

I doubt it's entirely random. Our first small group is one we stick with all four years. Imagine if they didn't do at least a little social engineering there.

(To be fair - and to embarrass myself completely - Harry Potter-style sorting isn't really random either.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Meaning you wish the Sorting Hat were involved?

I doubt it's entirely random. Our first small group is one we stick with all four years. Imagine if they didn't do at least a little social engineering there.

(To be fair - and to embarrass myself completely - Harry Potter-style sorting isn't really random either.)

Small correction: Your first IQ group only stays together for FCM over the first two years.

I'm glad to see Case plugged the loophole that allowed people to find their society early last year. It was exciting to find out your placement at the same time as everyone else during orientation. However, if you interviewed with Smith or Haynie, you're guaranteed to be in that society.

what stores sell furniture in cleveland? im an international so im not familiar with where i should be looking. Walmart?

what stores sell furniture in cleveland? im an international so im not familiar with where i should be looking. Walmart?

I'm wondering this also.

There's a Target nearby, which may have some stuff, but there's nothing like Ikea in the area, right?

I was planning to order things on like Amazon or Overstock.com. I've looked at the Cleveland Craigslist also, and it looks like there's some good stuff.

i think there's also a value city furniture

oh and finding out my society during orientation is definitely more exciting! ...random or not :) i think there is kind of a sorting ceremony. if not, i guess we just receive a piece of paper with our society on it

one other thing, are there any internet cafes near cedar fairmount? and is it possible to log on to case computers before we start classes on july 9th? i wont have my laptop till july 8th, and an internet connection till even later...so im wondering how im gonna get on the net beforehand

There's a Target nearby, which may have some stuff, but there's nothing like Ikea in the area, right?

I was planning to order things on like Amazon or Overstock.com. I've looked at the Cleveland Craigslist also, and it looks like there's some good stuff.

Sadly, no Ikea. The closest is Pittsburgh. But I know in New York, they have a flat-rate $89 delivery within the same borough, which includes up to 1500 lbs. of stuff, or three appliances. I checked online regarding Pittsburgh, and they also have delivery, I think for $129 to Cleveland ($139 maybe?). But I'm not sure if that's also flat-rate.

I'll call Ikea and see if it's flat-rate or per item. If it's also flat-rate up to a specific amount, a bunch of us should road trip to Pittsburgh, get a ton of stuff (ok, 3/4 of a ton :D) and have it all delivered to someone's place in Clevealand where we can distribute it.

st0w had an awesome idea. There is an Ikea in Pittsburgh (maybe 90 minutes away). He suggested a roadtrip where a bunch of us will go and pick out/buy stuff and split the delivery cost. This means we'd have to ship to one address and then everyone somehow get their stuff from there back to their places. He also wasn't sure if the pittsburgh ikea delivered to cleveland, but this sounded like a good idea to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
one other thing, are there any internet cafes near cedar fairmount? and is it possible to log on to case computers before we start classes on july 9th? i wont have my laptop till july 8th, and an internet connection till even later...so im wondering how im gonna get on the net beforehand

Don't know about internet cafe, but there's a Starbucks at Cedar/Fairmount.

st0w had an awesome idea. There is an Ikea in Pittsburgh (maybe 90 minutes away). He suggested a roadtrip where a bunch of us will go and pick out/buy stuff and split the delivery cost. This means we'd have to ship to one address and then everyone somehow get their stuff from there back to their places. He also wasn't sure if the pittsburgh ikea delivered to cleveland, but this sounded like a good idea to me.

Hah! *Just* beat you! :D

I'll call Ikea and see if it's flat-rate or per item. If it's also flat-rate up to a specific amount, a bunch of us should road trip to Pittsburgh, get a ton of stuff (ok, 3/4 of a ton :D) and have it all delivered to someone's place in Clevealand where we can distribute it.

So I just got off the phone with Ikea and here's what I found out. The fee is $139 for delivery from Pittsburgh to Cleveland, which is a flat rate and includes up to fifteen items. Every item after that is an additional $15 per item. So if we have more than twenty four items, it makes sense to have two deliveries, since we'll get up to thirty items for $278. Delivery is next day.

That's roughly $9.25/item for delivery if we max out each delivery with fifteen items. Not bad for next-day delivery of anything you want to Cleveland.

There's also a Phoenix Coffee up on Coventry with free Internet access, unlike Starbucks (some make you pay).

I'm in!

you could probably log onto case computers with your user id and password too, but idk

If you're just looking for basic Internet access, Case has some public use terminals around campus that don't require logging in. There's at least a few in the Thwing Center (where the bookstore is) that you can get to the web with. Also if you get your student ID, you can probably get into the library (Kelvin) and I imagine they have public use terminals there...

you could probably log onto case computers with your user id and password too, but idk

Heh... Whenever I see someone type "idk," all I can think of is, "idk, my bff Rose!"

If you're just looking for basic Internet access, Case has some public use terminals around campus that don't require logging in. There's at least a few in the Thwing Center (where the bookstore is) that you can get to the web with. Also if you get your student ID, you can probably get into the library (Kelvin) and I imagine they have public use terminals there...

Case wireless is accessible to anyone so if you have your own laptop, you can use that. They also don't check IDs to get into the libraries during regular business hours. University Circle also has free (but spotty) wireless, just connect to the "OneCommunityPublic" network.

So..... Had to hire movers, and they won't arrive with our stuff for 5-14 days after we do. Just to verify, I won't need a suit in that time, will I?

you probably want to have something nice to wear for the white coat ceremony

So..... Had to hire movers, and they won't arrive with our stuff for 5-14 days after we do. Just to verify, I won't need a suit in that time, will I?

And maybe something nice to wear for the individual photo. Our information implies that the picture is used frequently and is somewhat important (and is even flashed on a screen during the white coat ceremony?). Does anyone have any input regarding how people usually dress for that?

you probably want to have something nice to wear for the white coat ceremony

"Nice" I can do, but men are even told not to wear suits for the Ceremony. And it's the most formal event planned, right? So I should be okay.

Thanks!

And maybe something nice to wear for the individual photo. Our information implies that the picture is used frequently and is somewhat important (and is even flashed on a screen during the white coat ceremony?). Does anyone have any input regarding how people usually dress for that?

I had asked Eileen in the admissions office and she said even a polo is fine for the student photo, definitely not a suit or tie. Now, I didn't ask about women, but she said the reason they say to dress nice is that "since it's summer and hot, if we don't say that, the guys show up in shorts and a tank top and the girls show up in barely anything." But she was very clear that a suit and tie are unnecessary. Take that for what it's worth and wear a suit if you feel better. :) Personally, I'll probably bring a tie just to be on the safe side.

Take that for what it's worth and wear a suit if you feel better. :) Personally, I'll probably bring a tie just to be on the safe side.

I think only 1 guy wore a suit last year for the ID pictures, about 10 guys wore ties (out of 80ish)- most men wore dress shirts though.

Don't get too worried about this stuff; just enjoy the excitement of it all.

I think only 1 guy wore a suit last year for the ID pictures, about 10 guys wore ties (out of 80ish)- most men wore dress shirts though.

Don't get too worried about this stuff; just enjoy the excitement of it all.

Okay, sorry to :beat: but...

The individual photos are just like headshots, right? So I can wear "barely anything" on the bottom, as long as I'm decent on top, right?

Ugh, the idea of my face being flashed on a giant screen in Severance Hall during the White Coat Ceremony is making me :barf:

Okay, sorry to :beat: but...

The individual photos are just like headshots, right? So I can wear "barely anything" on the bottom, as long as I'm decent on top, right?

Ugh, the idea of my face being flashed on a giant screen in Severance Hall during the White Coat Ceremony is making me :barf:

Decent on top should be good, I think. Be warned though, that there may be more visible than in the preview shot they show you when they take the picture. A second year I was talking to in December said that she had her arms crossed, but couldn't see that in the preview, ok'd it, and then looked on in horror as her chest was... let's say "amped" on a giant screen.

A lot of the computer registration sessions are open again, if anyone wants to switch things up.:thumbup:

Also, Dell people, I'll have an iPod touch to sell for a little cheaper if you were going to get one.:thumbup:

Our pre-orientation info on iapply describes the picture as "head and shoulders".

And I'm with you on the showing of the pics at the ceremony... but there's so many of us, surely it will only be for a few seconds. (Plus we could just be slackers about not getting our picture taken by Sunday ;))

A second year I was talking to in December said that she had her arms crossed, but couldn't see that in the preview, ok'd it, and then looked on in horror as her chest was... let's say "amped" on a giant screen.

Oh my goodness, that's funny and horrible at the same time! I guess you could work this to your advantage if you want to send a secret nonverbal message to an audience member, though. :laugh:

Our pre-orientation info on iapply describes the picture as "head and shoulders".

And I'm with you on the showing of the pics at the ceremony... but there's so many of us, surely it will only be for a few seconds. (Plus we could just be slackers about not getting our picture taken by Sunday ;))

This is very tempting........ but then I would have to explain to my family why they had pictures for everyone else, but not for me. Which experience would I rather avoid? That's the real question.

This is very tempting........ but then I would have to explain to my family why they had pictures for everyone else, but not for me. Which experience would I rather avoid? That's the real question.

Or, which experience would you rather embrace? Whenever I'm afraid of something, I usually make myself just go for it. And if I'm standing next to you at the ceremony, I promise to laugh with you at our pictures all the way through it. :)

Or, which experience would you rather embrace? Whenever I'm afraid of something, I usually make myself just go for it. And if I'm standing next to you at the ceremony, I promise to laugh with you at our pictures all the way through it. :)

Haha. Deal. :)

Ok, so I called the financial aid office. They hope to get an email out to us by the end of the week, so we should hear from them by Friday...

Ok, so I called the financial aid office. They hope to get an email out to us by the end of the week, so we should hear from them by Friday...

awesome! ty :thumbup:

hmm wonder if everything's ok

Well, they also said that to call back on Monday if there's no email by Friday, so there's no guarantee that we'll hear from them this week for sure... :(

Judging by the fb group, I'm guessing we'll be about 160 (~40 per society). Does this seem right to anyone else?

Yeah - I think I've heard the number "around 150" thrown around before.

I woke up this morning thinking I'll be in Cleveland in two days. I can't believe it's so close; it's finally feeling real. I am all sorts of mixed up and excited and sad... mostly sad right now. :(

I woke up this morning thinking I'll be in Cleveland in two days. I can't believe it's so close; it's finally feeling real. I am all sorts of mixed up and excited and sad... mostly sad right now. :(

Awww, don't be sad! It's the beginning of medical school, it's going to be pretty awesome! And Cleveland's not as bad as it's cracked up to be. :) It certainly does make it a lot more real when you make the move, though.

In other news, I got an e-mail from my financial aid lender this morning asking me to electronically sign my loan request. :thumbup:

I agree :(

Don't be sad! We're throwing you guys parties, remember?!:thumbup::thumbup:

Also, for anyone that's been forgetting, today's the last day to RSVP for white coat. That includes requesting your size!!

Anyone else hear from their lender? Now I'm worried that when I faxed my paperwork something went wrong... :scared:

Also, for anyone that's been forgetting, today's the last day to RSVP for white coat. That includes requesting your size!!

Did you guys get a confirmation/response e-mail after submitting white coat details?

Don't be sad! We're throwing you guys parties, remember?!:thumbup::thumbup:

Crap, I didn't even realize we had relieved a request to rsvp. Thanks myuu. What else do i need to do before school starts? I feel like I am totally out of the loop. I haven't received any lender info either. I'm getting nervous about everything.