Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you guys get a confirmation/response e-mail after submitting white coat details?

i didn't get a confirmation after sending my email

i got several emails from my lender today saying my loans were processed

Members don't see this ad.

What else do i need to do before school starts? I feel like I am totally out of the loop.

-Register for a computer orientation
-Read the assignment and write 1-2 paragraphs
-Loan stuff?
-Immunization records and health forms
-Transcripts. Today is last day
-Housing
-I think everyone has pretty much said to not buy books, so that's a relief for now

I can't think of anything else that might have gone under the radar (like the RSVP for white coat)

Thanks.

At what point should I call the financial aid office about my loans? I haven't received any correspondence about my loans yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, they also said that to call back on Monday if there's no email by Friday, so there's no guarantee that we'll hear from them this week for sure... :(

i guess monday works?

i guess monday works?

Alas, no email from my lender... I'll give them another call Monday.

When I RSVP'ed for the white coat ceremony, I got a response email the day afterward...

does anyone else feel kinda scared by the number of security emails we've gotten this past week with the rapes, robberies and attacks?

does anyone else feel kinda scared by the number of security emails we've gotten this past week with the rapes, robberies and attacks?

I am told by a few grads and undergrads that the Wade park incidents were extremely rare. The rta one, not so much...

yeah im kinda nervous too...though i gotta give props to the one who scared off the assailant by telling him she had AIDS. shows that these criminals are all fundamentally cowards.

Hey everyone,

I've been on SDN for a while, but I just got around to signing up (took me long enough!) Anyway, I just moved to Cleveland yesterday, and I'm up in the Cedar-Fairmount area. Has everyone already moved in yet??

Hey everyone,

I've been on SDN for a while, but I just got around to signing up (took me long enough!) Anyway, I just moved to Cleveland yesterday, and I'm up in the Cedar-Fairmount area. Has everyone already moved in yet??

There are a few of us sdn types here already, with more expected in the next few days. I'm in the triangle, if you want to hang out with us :D

Hey everyone,

Hey!

I'm in the cedar-fairmount area too, right on south overlook. Lemme know if you have any questions about how to get around. I dont have a car/bike yet, so it's great that most things are pretty much within walking distance.

Hey!

I'm in the cedar-fairmount area too, right on south overlook. Lemme know if you have any questions about how to get around. I dont have a car/bike yet, so it's great that most things are pretty much within walking distance.

Awesome! I live right at the intersection, in Castle. It's the one with the giant knight looking at you. Do you by chance know if there's a Target or anything like that around here? I just need to find some odds and ends for my apartment.

Hm...I think the closest Target is at 14070 Cedar Rd, near this shopping mall district. There's also a Pier 1 nearby also. maps.google.com is *super* helpful, can put in your address, the address of where you're going, and it'll give you driving, walking, and public transportation directions.

Members don't see this ad :)
At this rate I think I'm going to need to get some mace and a knife along with my furniture.

Hm...I think the closest Target is at 14070 Cedar Rd, near this shopping mall district. There's also a Pier 1 nearby also. maps.google.com is *super* helpful, can put in your address, the address of where you're going, and it'll give you driving, walking, and public transportation directions.

Is that the university square target?

Hey everyone,

i move down july 1st, ill be in cedar fairmount too!

Hey Kwaku! It's Gayan! You're living with Alex and James right? I think you're literally a block from where I'm living. Gimme a call if you need help moving in!

One more week!

Still no word from my lender, however... maybe med school will just be loan-free. :D

I just called the financial aid office... Apparently, they were having computer problems last week, so they weren't able to send out the information as they planned. They hope to send it out this week, and if they aren't able to, they'll give us an update email this week.

I just called the financial aid office... Apparently, they were having computer problems last week, so they weren't able to send out the information as they planned. They hope to send it out this week, and if they aren't able to, they'll give us an update email this week.

Okay, thanks! :thumbup:

that's definitely good news. i was starting to think "how long it would take me to collect enough cans to pay for school?" :laugh:

Howdy, y'all! Came in last night. I'm currently sitting in the Starbucks at Cedar and Lennox, right next to Fifth Third Bank. There's an open wireless network here (OneCommunityPublic), if people are still looking for one!

So it looks like I might have to get some immunizations done, or at least bloodwork. Blah, one more thing on the to do list. :rolleyes:

Howdy, y'all! Came in last night. I'm currently sitting in the Starbucks at Cedar and Lennox, right next to Fifth Third Bank. There's an open wireless network here (OneCommunityPublic), if people are still looking for one!

So it looks like I might have to get some immunizations done, or at least bloodwork. Blah, one more thing on the to do list. :rolleyes:

You and me both.:thumbup:

Welcome to Cleveland!:D

Oh, and in case anyone was curious, there are 156 people currently enrolled.:thumbup:

Anyone going to live in Kensington apartments near severance? Its a bit far from school but there is a lot of stores, movies, gyms, etc. conveniently located nearby if anyone is still looking for a place.

That depends. What state are you in?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

i'm originally from michigan, so i'd have to roadtrip it back there! not sure how i'd transport a couple hundred thousand cans though...could be tough.

i'm originally from michigan, so i'd have to roadtrip it back there! not sure how i'd transport a couple hundred thousand cans though...could be tough.

I could completely finance my med school education with 5 million cans. That's about 3400 cans a day, or about 142 cans per hour... I think I can pull it off. :thumbup:

I could completely finance my med school education with 5 million cans. That's about 3400 cans a day, or about 142 cans per hour... I think I can pull it off. :thumbup:

you'd only have to find like 2.4 cans a minute! highly manageable :cool:

on a different note: are you guys subscribed for this thread? i thought i did, but i never get the email notifications, even though i have them set for instant...i'm such a newb.

you'd only have to find like 2.4 cans a minute! highly manageable :cool:

on a different note: are you guys subscribed for this thread? i thought i did, but i never get the email notifications, even though i have them set for instant...i'm such a newb.

The email notifications that I get are somewhat sporadic:(

if any of you are avid cyclists, or just love to ride, we live in a GREAT area :) there's a scorcher hill on mayfield road, heading towards kenilworth - talk about feeling the burn! :thumbup: anyway, if anyone here does love to ride, let me know - i'm looking for a riding partner!

also, here's to hoping that my lender will holla back at me today... :xf:

if any of you are avid cyclists, or just love to ride, we live in a GREAT area :) there's a scorcher hill on mayfield road, heading towards kenilworth - talk about feeling the burn! :thumbup: anyway, if anyone here does love to ride, let me know - i'm looking for a riding partner!

also, here's to hoping that my lender will holla back at me today... :xf:

im not really an avid cyclist, but im looking to get back into shape and work off the pounds i put on in undergrad. do you have a mountainbike or a roadbike?

There's a bike co-op in the area for all your biking needs, but I forget what the website is...

im not really an avid cyclist, but im looking to get back into shape and work off the pounds i put on in undergrad. do you have a mountainbike or a roadbike?

i never really got into mountain biking, just road. i wonder if case will let us start up a cycling club if there's enough interest...hmmmmm:idea:

I've been subscribed for ages and usually it's pretty reliable. But I hadn't received anything in days, so I decided to check the thread - and found a ton of messages.

Instant notification doesn't apply to every message. It will notify you on the first post since you last viewed the thread, then it won't notify you on subsequent posts until some threshold - number of days or posts since last notification - has passed.

When it actually works, that is. :p

I've been subscribed for ages and usually it's pretty reliable. But I hadn't received anything in days, so I decided to check the thread - and found a ton of messages.

Really? I've been getting at least 5-6 a day over the last few days. :oops:

Really? I've been getting at least 5-6 a day over the last few days. :oops:

there are different settings. you can set it to a particular threshold, or set it to notify you of every post

there are different settings. you can set it to a particular threshold, or set it to notify you of every post

Are you sure about that? The only options I can find are no notification, instant, daily and weekly. I've always used instant and I see the behavior described above. I haven't seen the source to vBulletin, but I'm pretty sure even instant has an imposed threshold to prevent knocking over a mail server...

Are you sure about that? The only options I can find are no notification, instant, daily and weekly. I've always used instant and I see the behavior described above. I haven't seen the source to vBulletin, but I'm pretty sure even instant has an imposed threshold to prevent knocking over a mail server...

Yeah, instant is not really all that instant, but sometimes the threshold seems highly variable....

has everyone withdrawn from their waitlists? or will you be tempted to run somewhere else two days before orientation starts?

Yeah, instant is not really all that instant, but sometimes the threshold seems highly variable....

Yeah, bigtime. I think it's related to thread activity.

has everyone withdrawn from their waitlists? or will you be tempted to run somewhere else two days before orientation starts?

I deferred from last year, so I've been locked in for a while. Besides, who would want to go anywhere else? Case rocks! :thumbup::banana::banana::banana:

i nearly broke my back moving all of my furniture into my apartment. as far as i'm concerned, it's staying right where it is, and so am i!

i nearly broke my back moving all of my furniture into my apartment. as far as i'm concerned, it's staying right where it is, and so am i!

all ready to help me move in tomorrow then? :)

I'm sitting in my cleared out apt in NJ right now. The only thing still plugged in is the cable modem. sleeping on the floor tonight...up bright and early at 7am to rent the truck, load up and head to cleveland! I probably won't be in until late but when I am, I think I'll just park the truck and grab a drink. whose with me?

all ready to help me move in tomorrow then? :)

I'm sitting in my cleared out apt in NJ right now. The only thing still plugged in is the cable modem. sleeping on the floor tonight...up bright and early at 7am to rent the truck, load up and head to cleveland! I probably won't be in until late but when I am, I think I'll just park the truck and grab a drink. whose with me?

i'm totally down for grabbing a drink/helping you move in. gimme a ring!

Last edited:
If anyone's still looking for housing, I reserved an apartment but am going to be breaking the lease, so it will be available! It's a one bedroom apartment in University Circle, literally across the street from the med school. $650/month, heat and water included. :thumbup: Top floor apartment, hardwood floors, easy access to elevator.

Send me a private message if you're interested!