Cardiology 2010-2011 application thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received a upenn interview about a week ago. The dates were 2/25, 3/14, 3/22, and 4/11.

Silent observer for a while, so I thought I should finally contribute.

Creds: Poor step I, much better Step II/III, Upper tier residency, active in basic science research during residency with one first auth pub submitted, great LOR.

IV:
Penn St
Michigan
Hopkins
Pitt
Rochester

Rej:
Ohio State
MGH

Pending:
Mayo MN
Yale
Dartmouth
BWH
BIDMC
Upstate

Interviewing, but I have not heard either way:
Vermont
Buffalo
Cleveland Clinic
U Penn - can somebody confirm this?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone had interviews from UCSD, UCI, Stanford, or UCSF?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally Posted by BGriffin
Has anyone had interviews from UCSD, UCI, Stanford, or UCSF?/QUOTE]
I had a rejection from UCSD last week :(

Best Rejection IV so far today from Univ of Toledo! You can't get a nicer rejection..

Members don't see this ad :)
Henry Ford inviting for all the detroit-ophiles. Tons of interview dates, all on mondays.

Regarding Georgetown/Washington Hospital Center (GT/WHC) Cardiology from what I recall in the past

Was a great clinical program--High volume (ie==very busy services across the board--cath, HF, imaging), high diversity of pathology (cases are helicopter-ed from all over the DC metro area), ample clinical research opportunities and lots of research and elective time to accomplish goals. Great camaraderie b/w faculty and happy fellows (though perhaps more private setting than other university programs because of Medstar). Probably lacking in basic science training research opportunities compared to peer institutions not making it a good fit for future laboratory minded individuals.

Also, WHC is a top tier (USNWR #19) clinical training program (peers from regions outside the mid-Atlantic would include Cedars Sinai, Cleveland Clinic, Columbia, Duke--based on general reputation and institutions noted in NEJM from PARTNER trial for TAVI); Georgetown and Washington Hospital Center merged under Medstar > 10 years ago--which is why WHC is specifically more known, though GT has the legacy of Proctor Harvey (http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ob.../w_proctor_harvey_89_pioneering_cardiologist/).

Heard from an a friend that WHC have 14 internal applicants for the 3 or 4 spots ain't gonna be easy for outsiders .. can anyone verify this

Case Western/University Hospitals invite

I got the same sh**. A friend of mine got a different version though, so I interpret this as wait list. Although, you may be right. Let's see...

Nothing to lose...I will take it as a wait list as well..:D

First day without rejection..........hey hey

Yep! No MyEras mesaages today! :D It is Thursday anyway, and i am expecting tons of rejection emails tomorrow (as the trend have been to invite on Monday/Tuesday and reject on Friday)..
Hope this won't beat last Firday-called by someone here "black Friday"-where we all received 4 rej!
Good luck every one..

Yep! No MyEras mesaages today! :D It is Thursday anyway, and i am expecting tons of rejection emails tomorrow (as the trend have been to invite on Monday/Tuesday and reject on Friday)..
Hope this won't beat last Firday-called by someone here "black Friday"-where we all received 4 rej!
Good luck every one..

Not necessarily ,I got my first invitation on Friday 4:00 PM :laugh:

Hi forum, new to the forum and---
i have a question to ask , and hoping someone will have an intelligent response.
currently a hospitalist at aUniv. Prog.
Med School at a top ranked U
and IM residency at a decent Univ Prog.
As they say, once beaten twice shy. subpar USMLE 1 i applied for cardio in PGY 2 w/o matching and thought it was the end of the road. put that all behind after decent USMLE 2, 3 and IM boards. I was starting to have hope again, and applied for cardio 2012....80 appications of which I have already received 30 rejections... Is it over for me?

Last edited:
invited:
OHSU
Columbia
Mount Sinai
UCLA
UCSD
UC Davis
Emory
Duke
UMass
Boston U
Scripps
Kaiser LA
Kaiser SF
Dartmouth

rejected:
upenn
uwash
hopkins
mgh
brigham&women's
Harbor-UCLA
Georgetown
Northwestern
U Chicago

invited:
OHSU
Columbia
Mount Sinai
UCLA
UCSD
UC Davis
Emory
Duke
UMass
Boston U
Scripps
Kaiser LA
Kaiser SF
Dartmouth

rejected:
upenn
uwash
hopkins
mgh
brigham&women's
Harbor-UCLA
Georgetown
Northwestern
U Chicago

You gotta be from California.

Hi forum, new to the forum and---
i have a question to ask , and hoping someone will have an intelligent response.
currently a hospitalist at aUniv. Prog.
Med School at a top ranked U
and IM residency at a decent Univ Prog.
As they say, once beaten twice shy. subpar USMLE 1 i applied for cardio in PGY 2 w/o matching and thought it was the end of the road. put that all behind after decent USMLE 2, 3 and IM boards. I was starting to have hope again, and applied for cardio 2012....80 appications of which I have already received 30 rejections... Is it over for me?

30 rejections..but how many iv?? I think it's not over yet, as >60% of programs have not replied yet, some not even downloaded the application (UC Davis), and iv will still come till end of March..
Good luck!

WHC is notorious for not taking internal candidates. Their IM program is just OK while their cardiology has always been inside best 20. So they get a lot of appl from big name university which they historically favor. They usually take their chief resident. That's it. So relax.

You're saying you think you know me personally ?

I think STENTator and Kaliman should get a room... or maybe do couples match if the programs are still considering changes to the application ; ) :D

...looks like emory really did not like my app, now that they haev rej me 3x:mad:

hey hey.......two more rejection.

(1) university of arkansas
(2) emroy university