Cardiology 2009-2010 application thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OHSU today. Still haven't heard from anyone else - no rejections. P-statin (as I will fondly call you now), where did you get your info about OHSU Cards? I was stoked since it's such a great city. My friends from last year said they liked it a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

CARDS4SHO: I was talking about UT Memphis.. I dont have a clue about OHSU...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
any IMGs in this forum with whom I can share info as to where we stand in this rat race of obtaining a cards fellowship. basically we are competing amongst ourselves as AMGs have a upper hand. All you to have is a med degree from this country. You dont need anything in ur CV ie quote a bald cv even can get u a fellowship.
for IMGs, well we gotta move heaven & earth & even with that u will be lucky to be called for interviews. pretty unfair bussiness heh!

any IMGs in this forum with whom I can share info as to where we stand in this rat race of obtaining a cards fellowship. basically we are competing amongst ourselves as AMGs have a upper hand. All you to have is a med degree from this country. You dont need anything in ur CV ie quote a bald cv even can get u a fellowship.
for IMGs, well we gotta move heaven & earth & even with that u will be lucky to be called for interviews. pretty unfair bussiness heh!

haha well let the new bill pass and financial aspect get neutralized, you will get enough calls :)

I was hoping that current fellows who interviewed at Emory or have any insights would shed some light on this: Their Clinical Investigator and the Research Scientist tracks do not participate in the match so I expect that if they made an offer it would be before the match. The question is if someone were to interview at Duke, BWH, Hopkins, MGH and Penn (and was likely to rank these above Emory), is it really worthwhile going through the expense to Interview at Emory if they would probably not accept an offer from them outside the match (in the hope of matching at the Duke, BWH, Hopkins, MGH or Penn). Any thoughts?

I was hoping that current fellows who interviewed at Emory or have any insights would shed some light on this: Their Clinical Investigator and the Research Scientist tracks do not participate in the match so I expect that if they made an offer it would be before the match. The question is if someone were to interview at Duke, BWH, Hopkins, MGH and Penn (and was likely to rank these above Emory), is it really worthwhile going through the expense to Interview at Emory if they would probably not accept an offer from them outside the match (in the hope of matching at the Duke, BWH, Hopkins, MGH or Penn). Any thoughts?
Hi EaglesPA,

About 2yrs ago, a friend of mine had the same question you did about whether to go and interview at emory. He decided against it because he knew he didnt want to prematch there since he had some great calls like hopkins, etc. He ultimately ended up matching at Hopkins. Hope this helps.

Invites
University of Colorado
University of Maryland
University of Pittsburgh
Rejects
No love from OHSU

Hello There,

I am FMG applied to 32 programs, mostly west coast program. Did not get any interview so far. Any other FMG are getting interviews? Please share information.

Thanks

Invites: Northwestern

Rejections: MGH

Still waiting on 19 programs

Members don't see this ad :)
who is that tono chap. hey mate wats ur credentials. can you please tell us! cheers

With all due respect, I don't agree with your statement. For AMGs, it's still competitive although not as much for the IMGs. However, keep in mind that in other countries, AMGs would most likely stand much less of a chance getting a fellowship there as well. It makes total sense to give preference for fellowship positions to people from the country you're applying to or someone who went to medical school here. It could even be said in response, if one truly wants a fellowship, then why not do residency and fellowship in one's own country instead of here in the United States (given that there's so much animosity and anger toward the US these days anyways)?

Nevertheless, best of luck for each of us!

Hi EaglesPA,

About 2yrs ago, a friend of mine had the same question you did about whether to go and interview at emory. He decided against it because he knew he didnt want to prematch there since he had some great calls like hopkins, etc. He ultimately ended up matching at Hopkins. Hope this helps.

Thanks, yoyoma.
I think I'm probably going to skip that IV too.

replying to ndesrukt:

hello mate! I see where u come from. america has been a land of immigrants from time of chris columbus. no body can say its theirs unless until ur a red indian & native. so i dont buy that stuff.
i have worked in 2 continents. asia & europe. if they say this thing then it makes sense. not here though!
so IMgs should be considered on a level pegging based on residency form us not where they did under grad for fellowship!
cheers

Also with all due respect, I agree with NDESTRUKT,

1. The average AMG graduates with ~$200,000 medical education debt, while many IMG's graduate with... dare I say $0 :eek:

2. Residency and fellowship training is funded by American taxpayer dollars, not international donations.

3. There is a huge physician shortage in the US. The country's responsibility is to train physicians to keep up with the rising health care demands of its own residents. The government cannot necessarily afford to train IMG residents or fellows that may eventually pack up and go back to private practice in their own countries after fellowship.

So essentially, after AMG's go so far into debt in order to complete their education, you expect to walk in, get top notch training, get paid for it using American taxpayer dollars, then pack your bags and go home if you want to, while an AMG goes unmatched? :idea:

Seems like the true "unfair business here" in my view. Would it not be in your country?

Also with all due respect, I agree with NDESTRUKT,

1. The average AMG graduates with ~$200,000 medical education debt, while many IMG's graduate with... dare I say $0 :eek:

2. Residency and fellowship training is funded by American taxpayer dollars, not international donations.

3. There is a huge physician shortage in the US. The country's responsibility is to train physicians to keep up with the rising health care demands of its own residents. The government cannot necessarily afford to train IMG residents or fellows that may eventually pack up and go back to private practice in their own countries after fellowship.

So essentially, after AMG's go so far into debt in order to complete their education, you expect to walk in, get top notch training, get paid for it using American taxpayer dollars, then pack your bags and go home if you want to, while an AMG goes unmatched? :idea:

Seems like the true "unfair business here" in my view. Would it not be in your country?

First of all its very biased statement to say that on only AMG's family pays taxes. There are so many IMG's families around paying same amount or even higher taxes without using so much American systems. So that counts. And you should consider this with due respect : International donations for IMG, per se

Most of the IMG's does so many volunteer jobs, research and other works for multiple years without any salary. This is equivalent or might be higher that debt of AMG (If you work as hospitalist you earn approx 200K, Cardiologist are even more). AMG does not waste time in all these, neither they need to.

USA government has some gain otherwise they would not have let IMG to do residency in their Country. History says that America is a country of immigrants.

Now somebody can say go back to your Country of origin, but knowledge is for everybody and everywhere and no one can restrict this. Generalization is important and then there will be no questions of IMG Vs AMG, eh?

well I think this debate is becoming a little bit political now......and I think the real issue is that,regardless of your nationality , if you are from a foreign medical school your chances of matching any where are far less,despite of all that extra work ,research and publications.
So if I am an american citizen am I going to be penalized for the rest of my life just because I have not done my medical school from here???
and what can I say about non american foreign medical grads........:)

First of all its very biased statement to say that on only AMG's family pays taxes. There are so many IMG's families around paying same amount or even higher taxes without using so much American systems. So that counts. And you should consider this with due respect : International donations for IMG, per se

Most of the IMG's does so many volunteer jobs, research and other works for multiple years without any salary. This is equivalent or might be higher that debt of AMG (If you work as hospitalist you earn approx 200K, Cardiologist are even more). AMG does not waste time in all these, neither they need to.

USA government has some gain otherwise they would not have let IMG to do residency in their Country. History says that America is a country of immigrants.

Now somebody can say go back to your Country of origin, but knowledge is for everybody and everywhere and no one can restrict this. Generalization is important and then there will be no questions of IMG Vs AMG, eh?

DKUS,

My parents are immigrants who initially came to this country to seek knowledge too. So I certainly understand, and apologize for my previous comment which was very harsh. At the end of the day, residency programs take whoever they think is most competent. and each program will take as many competent IMG's as their funding/visa restrictions allow them to. I just caution you to automatically think that you are more competent than your AMG peers and are being disadvantaged because of your visa status... there are obviously a lot more factors at play. Again, sorry for the tone in my previously rude comment. Best of luck to all :luck:

Mental Gymnast

University of Colorado
OHSU

Does anyone know about these programs?

University of Michigan rejection! boo to that!

As far as the whole AMG vs. IMG debate, I won't speak more of it except this: Being an IMG and having a harder time matching into competitive fellowships is not unfair - it's like this in any country. My parents as well as myself were also immigrants. If I were to go back to India, I probably would not even be let into medical school or even residency/fellowship training. But immigration has nothing to do with IMG - there are many american citizens who are IMGs also - so that immigration argument is invalid. Bottom line is if you're here on a visa, the chances of matching are much harder for some obvious and not so obvious reasons: we want our own to succeed before we want others to succeed (not that we don't want others to succeed). That's how all nations are, fact of life unfortunate or not. I can understand that it's hard for some good hearted IMGs to match but let's not get mad at the AMGs just because the match might favor them - they did nothing personally to you!

On the better side, both oregon and colorado have great skiing and are great places to live! I'm not sure about how good Oregon is but Colorado seems to be a great place to train at least from the IM side.

:thumbdown: OHSU, Kaiser Permanante ,University of Michigan.... BOOOOO!
:thumbup:University of Virginia.....Hurray!

This is a really bad statement. I'm loosing my 4th year vacation time and needed time with family all because I need to do research. I am an US med student who happens to do alot of research with both IMGs and AMGs and I work just as hard. I hope when the time comes that I apply for fellowship I will be given a fair shot having struggled to even get into medical school in this country with no help from anybody and carrying debt enough to buy a decent sized home.

With all due respect, I don't agree with your statement. For AMGs, it's still competitive although not as much for the IMGs. However, keep in mind that in other countries, AMGs would most likely stand much less of a chance getting a fellowship there as well. It makes total sense to give preference for fellowship positions to people from the country you're applying to or someone who went to medical school here. It could even be said in response, if one truly wants a fellowship, then why not do residency and fellowship in one's own country instead of here in the United States (given that there's so much animosity and anger toward the US these days anyways)?

Nevertheless, best of luck for each of us!

Second that! IMG speaking here.

I heard the "magic number" to interview at for cards to come close to guaranteeing a spot is 8. Anyone else hear this?

How many people do programs interview a year? I assume it's a low number!

To all the IMGs complaining, give me a break. you should be grateful for the opportunities cardiology provides for you.

It's not a coincidence that Cardiology has one the highest % of IMGs. Its the fact that its one of the only high-paying specialties that you guys can get into, because you can go through internal medicine to get there and not have to apply directly from medical school (i.e., see dermatology, ortho surgery, ect).

The vast majority of you guys are doing it for the money, so leave it at that. Qualified IMGs find spots all the time. Chances are you're no where near "as qualified" as you think you are.

:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:
To all the IMGs complaining, give me a break. you should be grateful for the opportunities cardiology provides for you.

It's not a coincidence that Cardiology has one the highest % of IMGs. Its the fact that its one of the only high-paying specialties that you guys can get into, because you can go through internal medicine to get there and not have to apply directly from medical school (i.e., see dermatology, ortho surgery, ect).

The vast majority of you guys are doing it for the money, so leave it at that. Qualified IMGs find spots all the time. Chances are you're no where near "as qualified" as you think you are.

BAYLOR COLLEGE OF MEDICINE
TEXAS HEART INST.
UNIV. OF ROCHESTER
UNIV. OF VIRGINIA - today
MASSACHUSETTS GENERAL HOSPITAL

Someone will have to explain to me why a thread on cards interview invites:

1) Has medical students not even involved at this level posting and not even on topic (Yes, Mental Gymnast. I've tracked down your doing IM RESIDENCY match).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9043347#post9043347

2) Is being used to discuss political opinions on AMG's vs. IMG's.

3) Hasn't been stickied to replace the 2008-2009 thread.

Clearly, the moderators have disappeared.

BTW, a few invites and one rejection myself I'll disclose later, nothing from the majority.

Someone will have to explain to me why a thread on cards interview invites:

1) Has medical students not even involved at this level posting and not even on topic (Yes, Mental Gymnast. I've tracked down your doing IM RESIDENCY match).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9043347#post9043347

2) Is being used to discuss political opinions on AMG's vs. IMG's.

3) Hasn't been stickied to replace the 2008-2009 thread.

Clearly, the moderators have disappeared.

BTW, a few invites and one rejection myself I'll disclose later, nothing from the majority.

Well, posting because I interviewed for ABIM research positions like yours tachycore, and was offered fellowship positions this week - so am now trying to learn more about programs from these fellowship forums before finalizing my ranklist for residency+fellowship. Thanks for the warm welcome :rolleyes:

As for "highjacking" the thread, I was simply responding to an already ongoing discussion between two other posters and apologize for any inconvenience. Good luck to all! :thumbup:

Hilarious thread...love it...but experience suggests that is not IMG vs AMG...more along the lines of..."If you really want it, you will find a way"-it may take longer eg research, another fellowship, etc...then success

You guys are hilarious. I thought GI was competitive. But man you guys make us look like best friends! No on here is helping each other out. You guys are turning on each other......... AMG vs. IMGs. Yelling at each other, calling each other med students (ouch!). It's hysterical to the GI docs. Scopes rule, cath sucks :)

Buttdoc, on the contrary. I welcome IMG's. Many are quite more brilliant both clinically and research-wise than AMG fellows I've encountered. Yes, Mental Gymnast is a medical student. I verified that carefully before I made such a statement, and she confirmed it with her latest post.

No. The major problem was letting such a heated discussion spill out into the open.

And unfortunately, Mental Gymnast, you do the rest of us a disservice by pouncing on every opportunity to make your point. Instead of gracefully leaving well enough alone. That kind of maturity, I cannot welcome.

So anyways, anyone wanna comment on responses from programs in TX, Chicago, New York, Pennsylvania, etc?

Anyone wanna comment on the "magic" number of interviews?

I need a Xanax! hah jk

So anyways, anyone wanna comment on responses from programs in TX, Chicago, New York, Pennsylvania, etc?

I need a Xanax! hah jk

Haven't heard from NY, PA, MIDWEST, NJ....
WAITING FOR MY "MAJIC NUMBER":scared:

I need a Xanax! hah jk

TX - did not apply to TX programs
Chicago - IV from Northwestern.
New York - Not heard from Columbia, Cornell or Sinai
Pennsylvania - IV from Pittsburgh, not heard from Penn
New England - IV from BU, MGH and Darthmouth.
Not heard from BWH, Yale, BIDMC or Brown
North Carolina - IV from Duke. Have not heard from UNC
Atlanta - IV from Emory
Virginia - IV from UVA
Maryland - not heard from Hopkins, Maryland or Georgetown

Magic number of interviews = as many as you can afford or can schedule
Obviously superstar candidate can match even with 1, 2 or 3 interviews.
My guess is that 7-10 is probably a safe number.

Anyone hear back from the Detroit Metro area yet?

hey guys ...Just joined the heated thread..well my credentials are IMG
1. 2 posters chest
2. 2 abstracts ACC
3. Heart transplant fellowship current
4. MRI cardiology next year
5. 1 st paper hopefully in chest next month and is being presented in spain.
NO interviews and no rejections yet ..i almost feel like i dont exist but also didnt apply to many of the programs you guys have heard from. Good luck to all. I liked this thread as its very informative and i hope we can keep it that way.:D

Here comes another week...good luck all!!!

Might have to start drinking nightly to make the week go by faster!!!;)

case in point: glass of macallan 12 tonight!

cheers!!

thumbs up on the drinking part. I've been having some good scotch recently with the SDN surfing haha jk

EaglesPA, with IV like those, I'd be shocked if you didn't match in June regardless of numbers. Hopefully someone can find the old post on the calculations for acceptance.

But for some drinks, I can sit down and calculate the binomials and confidence intervals if you'd like.:D

A round of drinks for everyone in the thread?

Hi, ive been a silent observer for a while. Here is what I have so far

IV:
1. UCLA
2. Emory

Rejections:
1.Northwestern
2.Michigan Ann arbor
3.Mass gen
4.Oregon state

I'm a little worried since I havent received anything for 2 weeks now.
Best of luck to all.

First time post for another silent observer:

Invites
1) Northwestern
2) UCLA
3) Kaiser Sunset
4) UC Davis

Rejections
1) OHSU

Ucsf: feb 12 19 26 Mar 19
kaiser sf feb 19 26 march 19

Invites: