Canadian Acfd Eligibility Exam Thread 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The last thread has been closed due to the discussion of remembered questions on the exam. Remember that you are not permitted to discuss exam questions per the non disclosure clause you sign when taking it. Any future posts discussing remembered questions will be deleted and the user infracted. This will be your only warning.

Members don't see this ad.

I think they will try to make a licensure exam as well as keep advance standing going,as that will be the only rationale thing to do.They will make the exam tough enough that a lot of people would end up in advance standing programs .

I know for sure they r planning to change some rules in licensure process,lets hope for the best.

I am setting up a study group in Vancouver BC . i got all the materilas we need . Kaplan Books . dental decks , ASDA . master D I . II ,first Aid I II . ,i also got a nice cool place to study if we can not find one , i need at least one person to help each other pass the next one
email me on [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
do we need to have PR to study in dental school in canada or is it open to international students ?
what are the exams to be cleared and procedure. please someone guide

gaya yes we do need a PR status to study dentistry in canada.Everyone check out their website now,it seems the process has been fnalised and they will post details in Nov 09, gosh they have wasted so much time .I still think there is a very strong chance that they will make a licensure exam as well as oppurtunity to attend advanced standing programs.

gaya yes we do need a PR status to study dentistry in canada.Everyone check out their website now,it seems the process has been fnalised and they will post details in Nov 09, gosh they have wasted so much time .I still think there is a very strong chance that they will make a licensure exam as well as oppurtunity to attend advanced standing programs.

i heared from some prety strong sources that this is what will happen
their will be 2 paths a liscencing path madeof 4 exams
and the advanced standing path
i hope its true

dr teeth ...I have also heard the same from a few members....but do u think the licensing path is worth a try ,I am sure they r going to make it really tough.If only they would just hurry up and let the truth be known.I can imagine they have a lot of work to do to change the system and are working hard but all of this waiting is very frustrating.

dr teeth ...I have also heard the same from a few members....but do u think the licensing path is worth a try ,I am sure they r going to make it really tough.If only they would just hurry up and let the truth be known.I can imagine they have a lot of work to do to change the system and are working hard but all of this waiting is very frustrating.

i know the only problem is time but its worth it in a coupla months we will know for sure as u said its not easy to change the system, and to be honest with u i think they r considering something els which is if they announce now that from next year their will be a new path where u dont need to join a university u just need to do 4 exams and then u can practice, universities will loose their applicants this year. why should i do 2 years in a uni and wast 100 thousand when i can do few exams and be liscenced
anyways lets hope the best.

I totally agree,i hope in the end whatever they decide on is for the better of the profession and all the international grads .The only issue with advance standing programs is that uptill now a lot of the ppl getting in really didn't need all that retraining, and the ppl who actually needed all that clinical training were not able to get in becoz of the competition or there personal reasons.
I personally think advance standing was quite helpful ,but just too long and expensive.Also for some of the experienced dentists it was unnecessary.Even then I am sure they must have thought with their past experience of taking the board exams before 2000, it was better to retrain the international graduates.

i agree but u shouldnt also forget that not all international dental graduates are equal some come from bad universities some even bought their degree and others graduated honorable universities, i think their should be exams to distinguish between different graduates. for example i know a family friend who graduated from england, university of Manchester and practiced 7 years in london. bileave me his school is much stronger than any dental school in canada and practice rule in england are much more precise than here but still he had to do the their advanced standing is that fair i dont think so.

I totally agree with you, I have learned a lot and infact have only started learning correct dentistry when i came here.unfortunately my own university was good in just giving me strong basic science knowledge .i regret it quite a lot now,but due to various personal issues have not been able to do advance standing program yet.But working in a clinic here has opened my eyes and thankfully have given me the oppurtunity to see all these procedures done the right way .

I totally agree with you, I have learned a lot and infact have only started learning correct dentistry when i came here.unfortunately my own university was good in just giving me strong basic science knowledge .i regret it quite a lot now,but due to various personal issues have not been able to do advance standing program yet.But working in a clinic here has opened my eyes and thankfully have given me the oppurtunity to see all these procedures done the right way .

well its good that ur close to dentistry, some ppl cant find a job close to their field and end up in a far far thing but i think you should apply to advanced placement, did you take the eligibility exam? you should always give it a shot.

Hi, It would make sense i feel to have a two tier system for entry, whereby graduates from other countries where education is of a similar standard and that where it is different. I am from the UK and qualified from the University of Manchester with a rigorous 5 year BDS degree. With the utmost respect I would expect it to be more straightforward for me to gain licensure in Canada than from graduates of other (eg non-commonwealth countries).
Anyway, very interesting discussion and if anyone has any further info on the topic please keep it going.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes interesting indeed....dr teeth i tried didn't get a gr8 score but like I said we were still in the settling phase so it was just not feasible for me to go for a university program,I am working as a restorative dental hygienist here ,over the years I have tried to improve my skills.One more thing I would like to add Eligibility exam is such a vague and mysterious exam I don't know why they have to make it that way.They do not even tell you how they mark it.Take american boards they tell you how it is marked,they release papers officially so ppl know what to expect, there is a lot of study material out there u can trun to.EE on the other hand is not transparent at all.Its like a guessing game.Now I know ppl who got scores above 85 upto 90 and they don't have a clue how they got it.These are the same ppl who took it before to get not even 70's.
@mmdpkaa I agree with u,in hygiene school we had a teacher who was a european graduate and 7-8 yrs of working exp. he was unable to get in any advance standing program and then he kept on trying for 2 more yrs .I felt bad for him , I think they should have a better system to evaluate the FTDs first and then decide on their fate.I think a lot of us just need maybe 6 mths of retraining and we should be able to work.Now I have seen a lot of graduates like fresh graduates from their uni's ,I have worked with them .i don't think there is a big difference in thier skill sets and some FTDs. Infact some of the expereinced Ftds are better.

i know but you know in canada and usa it seems that they only bileave in their graduate which is dump i have seen their graduates they rnt that strong.
its not only common wealth countries dental schools their r some strong dental schools in many other places and i think they know it, they r just too stiff with their regulations.
about the eligibility exam i honestly didnt find it that tough i think u need to study the decks very very well maybe read abit from first aid an mosbys do all american released exams, try to find some canadian repeated question and u will be fine, i know schools r expensive but most ppl i know didnt pay a penny instead they took a loan and when they graduated they were able to pay it in a year or so, i dont think money should be a problem once u get accepted to a program you will pay it all in no time once u graduate.

yes dr teeth it might be hard for u to believe but there was a time when I didn't even have the money for EE and it's prep, now when I do have it I have to take care of my child and since I am not close to a uni I will have to live on my own too.
lets see what the future holds situation might change I am ready to pursue dentistry whenever it is possible for me to do it.Also I am brushing up on my skills all the way.

yes dr teeth it might be hard for u to believe but there was a time when I didn't even have the money for EE and it's prep, now when I do have it I have to take care of my child and since I am not close to a uni I will have to live on my own too.
lets see what the future holds situation might change I am ready to pursue dentistry whenever it is possible for me to do it.Also I am brushing up on my skills all the way.

i totally understand the responsibility of being a single parent it takes time and effort, but lets hope they will change the system to the better, as i told u i heared the news from a doctor in the licencing comity it self so its a pretty strong source anyways it will all be clear in November until then we need to keep fighting,
you know even the american exam system is changing, NBDE will be scored as pass or fail starting 2012 and it will not be used for entrance to advanced placement program, instead they r coming up with a whole new system for international graduates who knows it might be a better system as well.
anyways i wish u all the luck and keep it up.

dr teeth I am surprised u r not scared to put this info on the forum won't it jeapordise ur contact or something:))

UBC phase 2 invitations are out. people with 87 were not called....what's happening.Whom did they call then?:(
how many do they generally call ?

UBC phase 2 invitations are out. people with 87 were not called....what's happening.Whom did they call then?:(
how many do they generally call ?

i know its the weirdest thing they said they r calling 40 ppl
their r no 40 marks above 85
statisticall if they r calling 40 ppl they should call ppl who got 81

That means there are roughly 40 people who have the scores above 87 !!!! all those intent letter, reference letters ,english basically are eyewash. I think it just boils down to EE scores as far as UBC is concerned.:confused:

Drteeth12, congratulations on getting a call from UBC!

Probe, I think Drteeth12 meant the opposite to what you concluded. :) He said there were less than 40 people who scored higher than 87, so there should be other things that mattered in addition to the EE score.

Still, I felt it hard to believe that someone with a 87 in the EE cannot get an interview from UBC. Some schools attached great importance to the EE score and their own PLA. Quite a few people with a GPA less than 3.0 got admitted.

Last edited:
oh, congrats dr teeth.good luck to u on ubc.
icon14.gif

i wounder if we didnt get a invitation from UBC does that mean we wont get an interview from any where els, coz it seemed to me the one with the higher chance ( only accepted sep 08 and may 09, needer a hell of paper work, needs ielts,.....) this minimizes the number of applicants greatly.

Any one here got call for interview from U of BC? or know any one who got a call?
any one here familiar with the statistics from last year? for eg. how many seats, how many applied? how many got called for interview, what is the min and max EE scores of people who got accepted and what is the min and max gpa . that will be a useful predictor of statistics for this year as well.

i know but you know in canada and usa it seems that they only bileave in their graduate which is dump i have seen their graduates they rnt that strong.
its not only common wealth countries dental schools their r some strong dental schools in many other places and i think they know it, they r just too stiff with their regulations.
about the eligibility exam i honestly didnt find it that tough i think u need to study the decks very very well maybe read abit from first aid an mosbys do all american released exams, try to find some canadian repeated question and u will be fine, i know schools r expensive but most ppl i know didnt pay a penny instead they took a loan and when they graduated they were able to pay it in a year or so, i dont think money should be a problem once u get accepted to a program you will pay it all in no time once u graduate.

You are right drteeth. I used to train those who graduated fron North America for two months before they went for clinical practice. I do have to agree with you, that they are below par.

I doubt this. They only accept EE written in Sep. 2008 and May 2009. For Sep. 2008, the highest score is 86. For May 2009, the highest score is 91. Do you think there are over 40 people who scored between 89 and 91 and applied to UBC?

BTW, I don't understand why the ACFD won't give more details about the test results. If a histogram is too difficult to produce, at least they can provide the median instead of the mean.

I heard that BC has called only people above 89%. Is this true?

I doubt this. They only accept EE written in Sep. 2008 and May 2009. For Sep. 2008, the highest score is 86. For May 2009, the highest score is 91. Do you think there are over 40 people who scored between 89 and 91 and applied to UBC?

BTW, I don't understand why the ACFD won't give more details about the test results. If a histogram is too difficult to produce, at least they can provide the median instead of the mean.

i know thats why i said its weird it seems they r looking n stuff other than ee results i know a guy who scored 87 and wasnt called i scored 85and wasnt called
statistically if they if they r only looking on ee result its imposible

admission stats UBC 2007

Country of Original Dental Degree (BDS, DDS, etc.)Total ChinaEgyptIndiaIranIraqPolandTrinidad & TobagoCountriesw/ only one
Applicant
TotalApplications 72, 6, 2, 22, 23, 2, 2, 2, 13
Meeting Requirements68, 6, 2, 22, 23, 2,0, 1, 12
Not Meeting Requirements4 - - - - - 2, 1, 1
Applicants Interviewed26, 2, - 5, 1, 3, 1, - - 5
Applicants Accepted10 1, - - 5, 1, - - 3

All ApplicantsPhase 2
Applicants (20)AcceptedApplicants (10) NDEB/Eligibility Exam Avg. (%)81, 85.8 ,85.5
Personal Attributes (/10)5.2,6.1,6
Interview Results (/10) n/a, 7.9, 8.2,
Problem-based Learning (/5) n/a, 3.5, 3.4
English-language Inventory (/7) n/a, 6.1, 6.1
Psychomotor Assessment (/10) n/a, 7.3, 8

Last edited:
hey check out their website they say the primary path of certification will still be qualifying program....does that mean there willbe an alternate path ??? what will that be or does that mean qualifying program will just be the only path????

hey check out their website they say the primary path of certification will still be qualifying program....does that mean there willbe an alternate path ??? what will that be or does that mean qualifying program will just be the only path????

i think this means their will be another secondary path but this will remain the main path

this is funny but it seems ACFD is trying to play with us...one day they put up we will change the process then they say it is going to be announced soon then they say we r expecting so and so........whats the big mystery?????

this is funny but it seems ACFD is trying to play with us...one day they put up we will change the process then they say it is going to be announced soon then they say we r expecting so and so........whats the big mystery?????

well if you really wana know i will be honest with you
you have 2 ways to know for sure
1- pay me 100 thousand dollars and i will know how to bribe my way to the truth.
or
2- wait 3 months, and open their website.
choose which ever u feel comfortable with

naaah if i had a 100,000 won't i just bribe my own way to dentistry :)))
hows ur admision process coming along dr teeth

Hi dent rdh..where did u study dental hygiene in canada?i am a foreign trained dentist too and i was wondering if u could give me the details about studying dental hygiene in bc..thank u

naaah if i had a 100,000 won't i just bribe my own way to dentistry :)))
hows ur admision process coming along dr teeth

lolz well if thats what you prefer.. but if i were you i would give me the 100 thousand but no pressure :) .

i dont know wuts gona happen am stell waiting :xf:

Hi dent rdh..where did u study dental hygiene in canada?i am a foreign trained dentist too and i was wondering if u could give me the details about studying dental hygiene in bc..thank u
I think for BC the best bet would be to apply at UBC dental hygeine program....but my friend let me advise u on onething ,hygiene school esp if u do it from a good place is not very easy and in my point of view if u have explored all other venues only then u shud turn to this.

Hi, It would make sense i feel to have a two tier system for entry, whereby graduates from other countries where education is of a similar standard and that where it is different. I am from the UK and qualified from the University of Manchester with a rigorous 5 year BDS degree. With the utmost respect I would expect it to be more straightforward for me to gain licensure in Canada than from graduates of other (eg non-commonwealth countries).
Anyway, very interesting discussion and if anyone has any further info on the topic please keep it going.

Just a question for you - can Canadian graduates go and practice dentistry without going through the licencing exams in England . I don't think so . I think if we expect Canada to accept dentist from UK directly without the licencing exams then they need to do the same. Something like a common pact between Canada and US. And I believe all countries common wealth or not should be the same. I have seen some very poor dental work in british patients and some excellent work in some other countries. I don't mean to discourage anyone. I have gone through the same system as you all are trying to go through. I just believe everyone should have equal opportunity.