Canadian Acfd Eligibility Exam Thread 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The last thread has been closed due to the discussion of remembered questions on the exam. Remember that you are not permitted to discuss exam questions per the non disclosure clause you sign when taking it. Any future posts discussing remembered questions will be deleted and the user infracted. This will be your only warning.

Members don't see this ad.

accessory canals in permanent teeth are more commonly found in the

a. cervical third of the root
b. middle third of the root
b. apical third of the root
c. bifurcation area
d. trifurcation area

I think it is b. middle third

which of the following can be used to place gingival bevels in inlays

1. gingival trimmer
2. enamel hatchet
3. carbide burs
4. small diamond disks

a. 1, 2, 3
b. 1,3
c. 2,4
d. 4 only
e. all of above

I think a. 1,2,,3

a lingual approach for a class III conservative prep for a composite resin requires:

a. retentive internal form
b. parallelism of the incisal and gingival walls
c. maintenance of the incisal contact area
d. all of the above

I think it is c, not sure what they mean by incisal area contact.

Members don't see this ad :)
which of the following are most frequently found in infected root canals

1. strep. viridans
2. staph aerus
3.staph albus
4. lactobacillus
5. enteroccci

I think it is the lactobacillus

odontoblas nuclei displacement into adjacent dentinal tubules is thought to be :

1. a reversible pathologic condition
2. due to increased intrapulpal pressure
3. due to contraction of collagen fibers
4. more frequent following the use of air coolant rather than water coolant
5. one of the first histologic changes following operative trauma

a.1,2,3
b. 1,3
c. 2,4
d. 4 only
e. all of above

I know for sure that 1, 4, 5 are true ..I guess I will go with e. all of above

infrabony lesions may occur at:

1. palatal surface maxillary anteriors
2.buccal and lingual maxillary posterors
3.interproximal areas
4.bifurcation and trifurcation areas
5.all of above

I think 5 all of above

i have done very simple root canals in my life and not many....i was wondering are there special occasions when u use the hedstrom files ?

headstrom files can be used when agressive cutting is needed such as deeply infected dentin, or when enlargement of canals is desired.

I am in the same page that you....

I found new information about the salivary glands and its production, and I think we were wrong before.

"The unstimulated flow rate is more important than the stimulated flow rate for oral comfort. However, the stimulated flow rate is important to facilitate chewing and swallowing during mastication. The submandibular gland contributes approximately 65 per cent of the resting whole salivary flow rate. Only 15–20 per cent is derived from the parotid, with the sublingual and minor glands both delivering 7–8 per cent. In contrast, the parotid provides 45–50 per cent of the stimulated whole salivary flow rate." Tyldesley's Oral Medicine 5th ed

I am not sure to which question you are reffereing to when you say we might have been wrong. I am thinking the question about the lubrication.

If so, this information does not seem to change our answer. The reason being is that even with significant increase of parotis flow during swallowing , it still is mainly serous saliva right ? It is the mucous which facilitates the swallowing.

in restoring occlusal anatomy the protrusive condylar path inclination has its primary influence on the

a. cusp height
b. anterior teeth only
c. mesial inclines of max cusps and distal inclines of mandibular cusps
d. mesial inclines of mandibular cusps and distal inclines of maxillary cusps

yes the answer according to dental decks is D

in composite resin restorations, the polycarboxilate cements are used because they are:

a.sedative
b.neutral in color
c. biocompatible
d. none of above
i would still go with biocompatible becoz firstly it is an old Q i gather ,no one really uses polycarboxylate cements under resins .When they were used they were basically used becoz of superior biocompatibility.

c. bifurcation area
d. trifurcation area

b.apical third of the root

1. gingival trimmer
2. enamel hatchet
3. carbide burs
4. small diamond disks

a. 1, 2, 3
b. 1,3
c. 2,4
d. 4 only
e. all of above

a lingual approach for a class III conservative prep for a composite resin requires:

d. all of the above

usually when we are making a class 3 we involve a portion of the contact area but not all of it i guess with incisal contact area they mean the incisal part of contact area which is not involved in the prep.

Members don't see this ad :)
odontoblas nuclei displacement into adjacent dentinal tubules is thought to be :

a.1,2,3
b. 1,3
c. 2,4
d. 4 only
e. all of above

I read Ingle for this question and they do say that there is an increase in intrapulpal pressure which pushes the nuclie in the tubules.I have forgotten now but the first histological change is something else .

1. strep. viridans
2. staph aerus
3.staph albus
4. lactobacillus
5. enteroccci

I am split between the two. let me find a good reference

infrabony lesions may occur at:

1. palatal surface maxillary anteriors
2.buccal and lingual maxillary posterors
3.interproximal areas
4.bifurcation and trifurcation areas
5.all of above

this purely based on what i think.

headstrom files can be used when agressive cutting is needed such as deeply infected dentin, or when enlargement of canals is desired.
leda are they much in use these days ,i think the rotary instruments have kind of taken away there requirement ,now usually gates gliddens are used to enlarge canals,and then infected dentin i think that is also better and faster removed by rotary instru.what do u say?

a.1,2,3
b. 1,3
c. 2,4
d. 4 only
e. all of above

I read Ingle for this question and they do say that there is an increase in intrapulpal pressure which pushes the nuclie in the tubules.I have forgotten now but the first histological change is something else .

why do you exclude 1, reversible pathologic condition ???

well the choices do not have 1,2,4 in it thats why majorly also becoz odontoblastic displacement can be reversible as well as irreversible .

I am not sure to which question you are reffereing to when you say we might have been wrong. I am thinking the question about the lubrication.

If so, this information does not seem to change our answer. The reason being is that even with significant increase of parotis flow during swallowing , it still is mainly serous saliva right ? It is the mucous which facilitates the swallowing.

Yes, I am talking about the question about the xerostomic patient.

In a xerostomic patient, which salivary gland(s) is/are most likely responsible for the lack of saliva production?

A. Accessory.
B. Labial.
C. Parotid.
D. Sublingual and submandibular.

So, with the new info I think the correct answer should be D.

in composite resin restorations, the polycarboxilate cements are used because they are:

a.sedative
b.neutral in color
c. biocompatible
d. none of above
i would still go with biocompatible becoz firstly it is an old Q i gather ,no one really uses polycarboxylate cements under resins .When they were used they were basically used becoz of superior biocompatibility.

I agree no one uses poly under composite....
But still when comparing their dompatibility to the composites I think composites are more friendly to pulp than polycarboxylate..So the only two reasons I can think of using poly under composites are :
1. to replace dentin when a lot of it is missing such as after an endo treatment ...
2. to provide some kind of chemical adhesion to the tooth structure.

this is really a stupid question anyways.

c. bifurcation area
d. trifurcation area

b.apical third of the root

do you have any refference about this dent rdh ?

I was thinking more on the coronal 2/3 of the root...I will try to find more info about this..

d. all of the above

usually when we are making a class 3 we involve a portion of the contact area but not all of it i guess with incisal contact area they mean the incisal part of contact area which is not involved in the prep.

In a conservative prep you don't need retenitve internal form or parallelism of the walls... the prep is quite small and does not involve any primary retention features ..

a.1,2,3
b. 1,3
c. 2,4
d. 4 only
e. all of above

which book is this dent rdh ?

1. strep. viridans
2. staph aerus
3.staph albus
4. lactobacillus
5. enteroccci

Mosby review says that entero rarely cause pulp infections. so I think we should go with 4, lactobacillus

Yes, I am talking about the question about the xerostomic patient.

In a xerostomic patient, which salivary gland(s) is/are most likely responsible for the lack of saliva production?

A. Accessory.
B. Labial.
C. Parotid.
D. Sublingual and submandibular.

So, with the new info I think the correct answer should be D.

Chanty, how does it change our answer I don't understand.Please explain .

Endodotics by Ingles it is in the reference list for the exam,
leda if u think a conservative prep doesn't need any parallelism or retentive form then what will the answer be?? and anyways i know when u say for composites anteriors u really do not need much retentive features u make it as small as possible,i thik what they r trying to get at is that u don't need a dovetail ,but i wud still think u will try to keep the walls parallel but not extend the cavity prep any bigger to make them parallel.

the reference for accessory canals is in Oral development and histology by Avery pg 219 it says in primary teeth the acc.canals are in the furcation areas mostly while for permanent it is in the apex area of root.

Chanty, how does it change our answer I don't understand.Please explain .

If I am not wrong, we have thought that the correct answer was the accesory glands. But now, we know that there are two types of salivary secretion; the stimulated one (with meals for example) and the unstimulated (the rest of the day). If the submandibular gland alone produces 65% of the unstimulated saliva, I think that would be the correct answer. What do you think?

1. gingival trimmer
2. enamel hatchet
3. carbide burs
4. small diamond disks

a. 1, 2, 3
b. 1,3
c. 2,4
d. 4 only
e. all of above

dent rdh, I think we are wrong here, enamel hatchet are not use do place gingival bevels. I never found a direct statement that enamel hatchet were used to place bevels...burs and gingival trimmer yes.

If I am not wrong, we have thought that the correct answer was the accesory glands. But now, we know that there are two types of salivary secretion; the stimulated one (with meals for example) and the unstimulated (the rest of the day). If the submandibular gland alone produces 65% of the unstimulated saliva, I think that would be the correct answer. What do you think?

ok, 65 % of total volume of saliva at rest but only 10 % of its volume is composed of mucins which are responsible for the lubrication..

we already knew that the volume of saliva produced by accessory glands is lower than that of every other major salivary gland bur still they are responsible for the production of most of the mucins ..correct me if I am wrong

The gingival marginal trimmers are actually a modified type of enamel hatchets,the difference between them is the curve of blade .BOth are used for planing and removing undermined enamel. I would think they will be a help in giving a bevel too.
let me look up s reference.

Hello doctors am also preparing for ndeb equivalency process can anyone guide me what to study as the list of buks is very large they have given on site.i have first aid nbde part 2 kaplans and first aid are they sufficient .dental decks are of 2007-08.reply

Hello, I am looking for a dental compressor, mounting system and dental instruments, asap
Please supply me with the price and details including shipping..
Pls. send me an email @
[email protected]

Last edited:

1. strep. viridans
2. staph aerus
3.staph albus
4. lactobacillus
5. enteroccci

I found reff that the most frequent bacteria in infected pulp are strep alpha hemolytic. I think we should change our answer to 1. strep viridans

c. bifurcation area
d. trifurcation area

I think it is b. middle third

Apical!

in chronic periodontitis the microrganisms are found in :

a. connective tissue of gingiva
b. periodontal ligament
c.alveolar bone
d.periodontal pocket
e. a and d

it looks like the right answer is e...I used to think that microorganisms could be found in periodontal ligament too.

following subgingival curettage the amount of gingival shrinkage depends upon:

a. thickness of free gingiva
b. the degree of edematous hyperplasia
c. whether the pocket orifice is broad or narrow
d. the degree of suppuration present
e. all of above

correction of an inadequate attached gingiva in several adjacent teeth is best corrected with :

1. apically repositioned flaps
2. coronally positioned flaps
3. laterally positioned sliding flaps
4. double papilla pedicle gragt
5. free graft

I think it is 5 , free grafts..

I have a question here, when is the apically positioned flap indicated to correct attached gingiva ??

in a restoration varnish used under amalgam reduces:

1. ion migration from amalgam to tooth
2. tranfer of thermal changes
3. amalgam corrosion
4. galvanic stimulation of the pulp

in minimizing the firing shrinkage of a porcelain the principal factor is:

1. fusion temperature
2. ratio of flux to feldspar
3. uniformity of particle size
4. thoroughness of condesation

I think is 3. uniformity of particle size.

Last edited:
in minimizing the firing shrinkage of a porcelain the principal factor is:

1. fusion temperature
2. ratio of flux to feldspar
3. uniformity of particle size
4. thoroughness of condesation

I think is 3. uniformity of particle size.

actually the thoroughness of condensation is the one that depends on the technician so I think 4 can be the right answer..

correction of an inadequate attached gingiva in several adjacent teeth is best corrected with :

5. free graft

i think apically positioned flaps are only used when they r performing osseus surgeries or open debridements.

3. amalgam corrosion

following subgingival curettage the amount of gingival shrinkage depends upon:

a. thickness of free gingiva
b. the degree of edematous hyperplasia
c. whether the pocket orifice is broad or narrow
d. the degree of suppuration present
e. all of above

I think the correct answer is B. the degree of edematous hyperplasia

5. free graft

i think apically positioned flaps are only used when they r performing osseus surgeries or open debridements.

3. amalgam corrosion

I agree

5. free graft

3. amalgam corrosion

which ions migrate from tooth to amalgam ??
I think among these alternatives the most appropriate answer would be that varnish by blocking the tubules prevents the pulp stimulation from electrochemical corrosion products .

5. free graft

that is exactly my perception too..but I read on Mosby that apically repositined flaps can be use to correct too narrow an attached ginigva...so I am not sure about this.