Canadian Acfd Eligibility Exam Thread 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The last thread has been closed due to the discussion of remembered questions on the exam. Remember that you are not permitted to discuss exam questions per the non disclosure clause you sign when taking it. Any future posts discussing remembered questions will be deleted and the user infracted. This will be your only warning.

Members don't see this ad.

histologically a pulp polyp consist of:

1. a mass of collagenous fibres
2. Russell bodies
3. proliferating capillars
4. fibroblasts
5. polymorphonuclear leucocytes

a. 1,2,3,4
b. 1,3,4
c. 1,3,4,5
d. 2,5
e. all of above

does anyone know what the Russell bodies are ?

I would say A. 1,2,3,4

cleidocranial dysostosis can cause :

1. premature loss of teeth
2. concomitant micrognathia
3. high incidence of clefts
4. associated high caries index
5. multiple supernumerary and unerupted teeth

if it is the same with cleidocranial dysplasia I think it is 5, multiple supernumerary and unerupted teeth..what do you guys think ?

Yes, it is the same. So, yes the correct answer is 5. multiple supernumerary and erupted teeth.

2. Russell bodies
4. fibroblasts

a. 1,2,3,4
b. 1,3,4
c. 1,3,4,5
d. 2,5
e. all of above

the answer shud be c.1,3,4,5 russell bodies are seen in periapical granulomas not in pulp polyps checked in neville they just mention russell bodies in periapical granulomas.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
calculus contributes to the peridontal disease through

1. mechanical
2. chemical
3. retention of plaque
4. all of above
this i think should be 4. all of above becoz they have asked contribution to priodontal disease, calculus doe shave for sure mechanical irritating properties which can contribute to periodontal disease.

2. Russell bodies
4. fibroblasts

a. 1,2,3,4
b. 1,3,4
c. 1,3,4,5
d. 2,5
e. all of above

the answer shud be c.1,3,4,5 russell bodies are seen in periapical granulomas not in pulp polyps checked in neville they just mention russell bodies in periapical granulomas.

You are rigth!

which parameter is a contraindication for serial extraction
a. crowding of 7mm or more per quadrant
b.class1 molar relationship
c. skeletal deppbite
d. class 1 skeletal relationship
e.coordinated dental arches
did i ask this question before I am sorry....but i was of the impression that the answer is c skeletal deepbite, but i was reading graber they have not mentioned anything like it.

which parameter is a contraindication for serial extraction
a. crowding of 7mm or more per quadrant
b.class1 molar relationship
c. skeletal deppbite
d. class 1 skeletal relationship
e.coordinated dental arches
did i ask this question before I am sorry....but i was of the impression that the answer is c skeletal deepbite, but i was reading graber they have not mentioned anything like it.

Yes that is the correct answer. You could make it worst.

russel bodies are part of lymphocytes right ? why shouldn't they be found in a chronic inflamation like polyps...also polymorphonuclear lymphocytes are typical for acute inflamations not chronic ones ...

The most favorable factors for serial extraction
include (1) Class I malocclusion; (2) a favorable mor-
phogenetic pattern-one that does not change; (3) a
flush terminal plane or, even better, a mesial step rela-
tionship of the second primary molars; (4) minimum
overjet; and (5) minimum overbite .

Textbook of orthodontics. Bishara

calculus contributes to the peridontal disease through

1. mechanical
2. chemical
3. retention of plaque
4. all of above
this i think should be 4. all of above becoz they have asked contribution to priodontal disease, calculus doe shave for sure mechanical irritating properties which can contribute to periodontal disease.

this where I get confused..some books say that calculus can mechanically irritate the peridontium some other say categorically it is only through the plaque not the mechanical pressurethat the calculus contributes to periodontal disease...

russel bodies are part of lymphocytes right ? why shouldn't they be found in a chronic inflamation like polyps...also polymorphonuclear lymphocytes are typical for acute inflamations not chronic ones ...

That is right. I have not found any reference of the russell bodies in the pulp polyp, but I understand your point, if they are inside the plasma cells, and there are plasma cells in the chronic inflamation those russell bodies could be there. The thing is that I don't have any reference.
So I am thinking the answer could be b. 1,3,4

I found this en Pathways of the pulp: "In general, endodontists recommend that each tooth be isolated properly with a rubber dam and bathed in hot water or iced water to reproduce the environment in which the pain is evoked most closely. This method is also very effective in evaluating teeth with full coverage restorations, whether porcelain or metal"
So I say we should include the thermal stimulus option in the answer, but that is were I get confused about which one to choose.

thermal and electrical pulp test are hardly reliable on intact teeth ...I don't think you can get any result by thermically stimulating the crowns...

thermal and electrical pulp test are hardly reliable on intact teeth ...I don't think you can get any result by thermically stimulating the crowns...

Sounds logical.... it's the reference what makes me doubt....

Members don't see this ad :)
That is right. I have not found any reference of the russell bodies in the pulp polyp, but I understand your point, if they are inside the plasma cells, and there are plasma cells in the chronic inflamation those russell bodies could be there. The thing is that I don't have any reference.
So I am thinking the answer could be b. 1,3,4

I have not found anything on russell bodies on polyps either...so I kind of agree that we should go with 1,3,4..after all they want to know what is typicall for that kind of inflamation right ? as long as in histo appearance of chronic proliferative pulptitis we do not find any PMN or russell bodies let stick with 1,3,4

I have not found anything on russell bodies on polyps either...so I kind of agree that we should go with 1,3,4..after all they want to know what is typicall for that kind of inflamation right ? as long as in histo appearance of chronic proliferative pulptitis we do not find any PMN or russell bodies let stick with 1,3,4

ok Leda, so what do you think about the question of the porcelain jacket crown?

i know leda the major factor with calculus is mechanical retention to plaque ,but the actual presence of calculus causes mechanical irritation too.along with the bacteria present releaase chemicals.I think the questio is so generalised that i will go for all of the above.

I keep finding books that mention thermal and EPT test in teeth with full coverage. So I think I will go with E. All of the above

I keep finding books that mention thermal and EPT test in teeth with full coverage. So I think I will go with E. All of the above
look what I found to my suprise at the pathways of pulp

Cold testing can be accomplished similarly to heat testing, by individually isolating teeth with a rubber dam.
This technique for cold testing is especially useful for patients presenting with porcelain jacket crowns or
porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns where there is no natural tooth surface (or much metal) accessible. Another
benefit of this technique for cold testing is that it requires no armamentarium except for a rubber dam. If a
clinician chooses to perform this test with sticks of ice, then the use of the rubber dam is recommended​
because melting ice will run onto adjacent teeth and gingiva, yielding potentially false-positive responses.

also this, same book

If a complete coverage crown or extensive restoration is present, a bridging technique can be attempted to
deliver the electric current to any exposed natural tooth structure.​
[60] The tip of an endodontic explorer is
coated with toothpaste or other appropriate media and placed in contact with the natural tooth structure. The
tip of the electric pulp tester probe is coated with a small amount of toothpaste and placed in contact with the
side of the explorer. The patient completes the circuit and the testing proceeds as described previously. If no

natural tooth structure is available then an alternative pulp testing method, such as cold, should be used.

now I believe we should go with e. all of above

i know leda the major factor with calculus is mechanical retention to plaque ,but the actual presence of calculus causes mechanical irritation too.along with the bacteria present releaase chemicals.I think the questio is so generalised that i will go for all of the above.

how does the calculus contribute chemically to periodontal disease ?

also this, same book

If a complete coverage crown or extensive restoration is present, a bridging technique can be attempted to
deliver the electric current to any exposed natural tooth structure.​
[60] The tip of an endodontic explorer is
coated with toothpaste or other appropriate media and placed in contact with the natural tooth structure. The
tip of the electric pulp tester probe is coated with a small amount of toothpaste and placed in contact with the
side of the explorer. The patient completes the circuit and the testing proceeds as described previously. If no

natural tooth structure is available then an alternative pulp testing method, such as cold, should be used.

now I believe we should go with e. all of above

Perfect!!!! :)

"....it has to be realized that calculus is always covered by an unmineralized layer of viable bacterial plaque..... The effect of calculus seems to be secondary
by providing an ideal surface configuration condu-
cive to further plaque accumulation and subsequent
mineralization....Well-controlled animal (Nyman et al. 1986) and
clinical (Nyman et al. 1988, Mombelli et al. 1995) stud-
ies have shown that the removal of subgingival plaque
on top of subgingival calculus will result in healing of
periodontal lesions and the maintenance of healthy
gingival and periodontal tissues, provided that the
supragingival deposits are meticulously removed on a
regular basis....."
Clinical Periodontology and Implant dentistry. Lindhe

So I think the correct answer is 3. Retention of plaque

i will go with c. retention of plaque, but still i remember reading in one of the books that calculus itself does contribute as a mechanical irritant but the major concern with it is the retention of plaque.so until i find my reference i think lets just stick to c.retention ofplaque.

i was just wondering any of you working towards clinical skills ....how do you plan to tackle that part?
how long do u all think it will take to prepare for the practical exam for some one with good skills background yet has been out of touch for say 2-3 yrs.

i will go with c. retention of plaque, but still i remember reading in one of the books that calculus itself does contribute as a mechanical irritant but the major concern with it is the retention of plaque.so until i find my reference i think lets just stick to c.retention ofplaque.
I remember a book says that the sterile calculus dose nothing harmful. so i will go with c too.

i was just wondering any of you working towards clinical skills ....how do you plan to tackle that part?
how long do u all think it will take to prepare for the practical exam for some one with good skills background yet has been out of touch for say 2-3 yrs.

Personally, I am totally focused on the Assessment of fundamental knowledge, and on Feb 6, I will start preparing for the clinical skills. I think that part will be easier....hopefully :)

which of the following has the worst prognosis:
1. occlusal traumatism
2. gingivitis
3. juvenile periodontitis
4. periodontal atrophy
5. moderate periodontitis

between 3 and 4 it is difficult to decide about the course of the disease with such little information..howeve I think juvenile periodontits is the most unpredictable and difficult to treat..[/QUOTE

guys what do you think about this

Personally, I am totally focused on the Assessment of fundamental knowledge, and on Feb 6, I will start preparing for the clinical skills. I think that part will be easier....hopefully :)

same here...let's hope the practical will be easier ..

which of the following has the worst prognosis:
1. occlusal traumatism
2. gingivitis
3. juvenile periodontitis
4. periodontal atrophy
5. moderate periodontitis

between 3 and 4 it is difficult to decide about the course of the disease with such little information..howeve I think juvenile periodontits is the most unpredictable and difficult to treat..[/QUOTE

guys what do you think about this

The worst prognosis..... I would say juvenile periodontitis. Periodontal atrophy sounds to me like an edentulous patient, am I wrong?

yes i think in some places to is used as a term for gingial recession,in some it is used as atrophy due to lack of function.....i think the answer would be juvenile periodontitis

juvenile periodontitis means poor prognosis for incsiors and first molar at least

I have one:

After completion of endodontic chemomechanical debridement you can expect to have:
1. Removed all tissue from the entire root canal system
2. Machined the canals to a microscopically smooth chanel
3. Caused some temporary inflammation
4. Sterilized the root canal
5. left some areas of the root canal system incompletely cleaned

A. 1,2,3
B. 1,3
C. 2,4
D. 4 only
E. All of the above

I have one:

After completion of endodontic chemomechanical debridement you can expect to have:
1. Removed all tissue from the entire root canal system
2. Machined the canals to a microscopically smooth chanel
3. Caused some temporary inflammation
4. Sterilized the root canal
5. left some areas of the root canal system incompletely cleaned

A. 1,2,3
B. 1,3
C. 2,4
D. 4 only
E. All of the above

I would choose B

yes b.1,3 is the correct answer.
as for the Q abt calculus it is mechanical retention of plaque ,there is another question almost similar to this one without the optionof all of the above ,so i guess lets just keep it till mechanical retention of plaque.

Ok. What do you think about this one?

During initial preparation of the apical portion of root canal

A. Integrity of the apical one third should be mantained
B. Use sodium hypochlorite sparingly
C. Advance to the next larger file as soon as a thight it of the preceding file is achieved
D. If there is a canal restriction, enlarge with a wider file.
E. Use Gates-Glidden drills as an end-cutting instrument to open the coronal protion of the canal.

Ok. What do you think about this one?

During initial preparation of the apical portion of root canal

A. Integrity of the apical one third should be mantained
B. Use sodium hypochlorite sparingly
C. Advance to the next larger file as soon as a thight it of the preceding file is achieved
D. If there is a canal restriction, enlarge with a wider file.
E. Use Gates-Glidden drills as an end-cutting instrument to open the coronal protion of the canal.

I think it is A, provided that meaning of integrity is that no false canals or deviations from the direction of the main canal

I think it is A, provided that meaning of integrity is that no false canals or deviations from the direction of the main canal

I have a question... I read that Gates-Glidden drills are in fact used to enhance canal orifices and the coronal third of canals. Is the "end-cutting" word what makes the fourth option incorrect?

Last edited:
yes gates glidden are not end cutting instruments ,one more thing is they are usually not used in the innitial prep,like they are used to widen the canals and if the anatomy permits shape them but they are not used very early on when u are making the apical seal.

I have a question... I read that Gates-Glidden drills are in fact used to enhance canal orifices and the coronal third of canals. Is the "end-cutting" word what makes the fourth option incorrect?

it is incorrect for 2 reasons G-G
1. are contraindicated for apical preparation
1. G-G are always non end cutting instruments and this makes them preferred instrument for canal enlargment for posts

Hi to everyone in the group discussion.
I'm in Toronto & preparing to undertake the new system next year. If there's anyone who wants to get together to prepare please email. I'm a dentist originally from India. A problem shared is a problem halved as they say.

i have done very simple root canals in my life and not many....i was wondering are there special occasions when u use the hedstrom files ?

what do you think ?

During initial preparation of the apical portion of root canal,
A. integrity of the apical one third should be maintained.
B. use sodium hypochlorite sparingly.
C. advance to the next larger file as soon as a tight fit of the preceding file is achieved.
D. if there is a canal restriction, enlarge with a wider file.
E. use Gates-Glidden drills as an end-cutting instrument to open the coronal portion of canal.

C?

i have done very simple root canals in my life and not many....i was wondering are there special occasions when u use the hedstrom files ?

I am in the same page that you....

I found new information about the salivary glands and its production, and I think we were wrong before.

"The unstimulated flow rate is more important than the stimulated flow rate for oral comfort. However, the stimulated flow rate is important to facilitate chewing and swallowing during mastication. The submandibular gland contributes approximately 65 per cent of the resting whole salivary flow rate. Only 15–20 per cent is derived from the parotid, with the sublingual and minor glands both delivering 7–8 per cent. In contrast, the parotid provides 45–50 per cent of the stimulated whole salivary flow rate." Tyldesley's Oral Medicine 5th ed

in restoring occlusal anatomy the protrusive condylar path inclination has its primary influence on the

a. cusp height
b. anterior teeth only
c. mesial inclines of max cusps and distal inclines of mandibular cusps
d. mesial inclines of mandibular cusps and distal inclines of maxillary cusps

I think it is d.
need your oppinion too please

in composite resin restorations, the polycarboxilate cements are used because they are:

a.sedative
b.neutral in color
c. biocompatible
d. none of above

I think it is none of the above ..I am not sure if they can be considered biocompatible, they still have some acids but compared to Zn phosphate cements they are more compatible