Canadian Acfd Eligibility Exam Thread 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The last thread has been closed due to the discussion of remembered questions on the exam. Remember that you are not permitted to discuss exam questions per the non disclosure clause you sign when taking it. Any future posts discussing remembered questions will be deleted and the user infracted. This will be your only warning.

Members don't see this ad.

leda i read about the apically positioned Flap it can be used to increase min. attached gingiva,crown lengthening procedures and infra supra bony pocket elimination, i don't think this will change our answer though becoz the same book says the best procedure for inadequate min attached gingiva wud be a free gingival graft.

leda i read about the apically positioned Flap it can be used to increase min. attached gingiva,crown lengthening procedures and infra supra bony pocket elimination, i don't think this will change our answer though becoz the same book says the best procedure for inadequate min attached gingiva wud be a free gingival graft.

dent rdh,

did you find out how is it used to increase width of attached gingiva ?

sorry leda to get back to u so late,i read in the same book that the healing with apically positioned flaps is by a long junctional epithelium which provides some attached gingiva to the area but there is no connective tissue regeneration also this kind of flap is not indicated for palatal surface of teeth as the tissue is not flexible enough .

Members don't see this ad :)
in minimizing the firing shrinkage of a porcelain the principal factor is:

1. fusion temperature
2. ratio of flux to feldspar
3. uniformity of particle size
4. thoroughness of condesation

double checked this exact Q is in a book for prep called Encyclopedia of MCQs for dental Science

in minimizing the firing shrinkage of a porcelain the principal factor is:

1. fusion temperature
2. ratio of flux to feldspar
3. uniformity of particle size
4. thoroughness of condesation

double checked this exact Q is in a book for prep called Encyclopedia of MCQs for dental Science

thanks dent rdh..

what do you think about the microganisms with pulp pathologies??

do you still think it is the entero or lacto?

i think abt the microorganisms Q it is strepviridans....becoz i also read mostly facultative anearobes are abundant and even though lactobacilli is a facultative anearobe and is in the advancing front of the caries thus infecting firstly there is more abundance of stretococci.Checked in 2 books but none of them really name strep viridans ,it is more strep mutans .Still a little ocnfused but i think the answer to be safest should be a streptococcus hence strep viridans.

Hi there , I have a problem , that will be very kind of you if you answer my question ,
I would like to know where should I submit my degree before regestering for equivalancy process , shall my university send the degree directly to them ? Or shall I translate them and send to other place in Toronto ?
thanks in advance for answering my question ,

actually this application is kind of weird...

you are not able to download the list of the required documents unless you make the payment...has anyone already made the payment and knows what documents do we need to submit... is there any list of required documents for the Assesment of Fundamental Knowledge ??

Members don't see this ad :)
actually this application is kind of weird...

you are not able to download the list of the required documents unless you make the payment...has anyone already made the payment and knows what documents do we need to submit... is there any list of required documents for the Assesment of Fundamental Knowledge ??

Hi Leda,
here is the link for the required documents
http://www.ndeb.ca/en/non_accredited/RequiredDocuments.htm

There was a post regarding preparation of PLA practical exam/course that I guess was removed or no longer on the forum.If any of you have an idea about the courses that are being offered to help prepare for the PLA could you please let me know....

is there any benefit of registering early the deadline is in november ??
Also they had said if one has already applied for acfd they donot need to submit the documents is true even now.I did try to register but I am unable to uplaod anything.

EDIT: Two months ago on www.acfd.ca or www.ndeb.ca I found a PDF file with 660 pages of sample questions. The questions were unnumbered and without the correct answer. Now on acfd.ca there are only 4 pages of sample questions ...... Does anybody have the original PDF with all the questions, are they still valid for February 2011?[/QUOTE]

hi dr cc i m a dentist from india.wud u plz lemme know abt the exact scenario of equivalency process.i meanna say whether its going to be really difficult to clear dis exam??????

I found reff that the most frequent bacteria in infected pulp are strep alpha hemolytic. I think we should change our answer to 1. strep viridans[/QUOT

hereby i m telling u recent concept of rct failure case

E. fecalis is new concept to be present in infected root canals:thumbup::thumbup:

Hi guys,

I guess there was another thread where we discussed questions - Canadian Bank of Qs?
Where is it? I was absent for some time and I don't see it.

sarna we were discussing Qs here too...............btw were u applying for uni 's this yr how is it coming along

one Question

A gingivectomy approach to pocket elimination results in:

a.healing by primary intention
b.adequate access to correct irregular osseous contours
c.retention of all or most of attached gingiva
d.none of the above

sarna we were discussing Qs here too...............btw were u applying for uni 's this yr how is it coming along

Hi dent rdh,

I know, but there was another thread with Qs, remember? Do you know where it is?
I'll try to catch up and join the discussion.
I'm applying first of all in Ontario and perhaps Nova Scotia.

one Question

A gingivectomy approach to pocket elimination results in:

a.healing by primary intention
b.adequate access to correct irregular osseous contours
c.retention of all or most of attached gingiva
d.none of the above

I think it is c retention of all or most of attached gingiva...gingivoectomy is performed only on suprabony pockets, meaning pseudopockets...thus it can't affect significantly the attached gingiva...

i was thinking the same,but i am confused becoz they ask how it contributes to pocket elimination .

Hi guys
Could you please answer this question
Total removal of subgingival calculus in pockets extending more than 5mm deep is best achieved by
a. ultrasonic scaling
b. root planing with hand instruments
c. surgery and scaling
d. subgingival curettage
i think c is the correct ans please correct if I'm wrong

yes c is the answer becoz closed debridementis only effective within 4 mm pockets

Hey centrum....im also looking at the same route....

any people know where else to look for threads on the ACFD exam updates and sharing of experiences...do share.. appreciate it...

tnx

Oh and folks do share how many ppl from India taking the ACFD EE in feb 2010 i seems if theres enough students they may arrange a center in the country itself....

so hit this thread or like i asked direct to a new 1....lemme know if a new is to be started or one exists... alternatively we could correspond by mail...

ciao.. enjoy..

Last edited:
hi guys,the released questions on NDEB site have just one right answer or more than one? I'm confused lit bit.heeeeelp

Hi Guys,
I'm a Swedish Dentist currently working in the UK and plan to do the FEB 2011 NDBE exam.
Does anyone have any advice on what I should study for preparation.
I'm considering
Mosby's Review for the NBDE? Any other review books you would recommend?
Please share your experience
Thanks

1. WITH INSUFFICIENT LIGHT CURE, WHICH PART OF THE IMPRESSION WILL REMAIN SOFT(UNDER POLYMERIZED)
a-ext surface beneath light
b-core of composite
c-axial wall
Is it core?

2. which tooth will the matrix band be a problem with when placing a two surface amalgam
a. mesial on maxillary first molar
b. distal on maxillary first premolar
c. mesial on maxillary second premolar
d. distal on mandibular first molar
Is it not mesial of max. 1st PM & distal of max. 1st molar due to their concavities, but there is no such choice:confused:

3. all f the following cause vasoconstriction except
a. epinephrine b. norepinephrine c. phenylephrine d. levonor defrin
But They all r vasoconstrictor??

4. Most zinc-oxide-eugenol cements are not suitable
for permanent cementation of crowns and fixed
partial dentures because of
A. high viscosity.
B. low pH.
C. high solubility in saliva.
D. adverse pulp response.

5. The prime advantage of vacuum firing of porcelain
A. better colour.
B. less shrinkage.
C. more translucency.
D. increased strength.

6. a characteristic of the periodontium which allows safe temporary separation of the teeth is the
a. nature of acellular cementum
b. elasticity of bone
c. modified continuous eruption
d. passive eruption

hi guys ...I am want to appear for the 2011 feb ndbe exam ...looking for a study partner in vancouver...pls respond

hi guys ...I am want to appear for the 2011 feb ndbe exam ...looking for a study partner in vancouver...pls respond

Hi !

I am moving to Vancouver in October and will be happy to study together.
What are you going through now? I am doing Mosby's.

Hi Benny,
I believe you had posted these Q's on a NBDE pt 2 thread aswell? Are you studying for the Fundamentals exam in Canada too? I am trying for pt 2 and the Canadian exam currently. Anyhow, your feedback on my answers would be great... OCS1986

1. WITH INSUFFICIENT LIGHT CURE, WHICH PART OF THE IMPRESSION WILL REMAIN SOFT(UNDER POLYMERIZED)
a-ext surface beneath light
b-core of composite
c-axial wall
Is it core? I agree with this.

2. which tooth will the matrix band be a problem with when placing a two surface amalgam
a. mesial on maxillary first molar
b. distal on maxillary first premolar
c. mesial on maxillary second premolar
d. distal on mandibular first molar
Is it not mesial of max. 1st PM & distal of max. 1st molar due to their concavities, but there is no such choice:confused:

3. all f the following cause vasoconstriction except
a. epinephrine b. norepinephrine c. phenylephrine d. levonor defrin
But They all r vasoconstrictor?? I looked for an answer here but no luck.

4. Most zinc-oxide-eugenol cements are not suitable
for permanent cementation of crowns and fixed
partial dentures because of
A. high viscosity.
B. low pH.
C. high solubility in saliva. I remember something about this one.
D. adverse pulp response.

5. The prime advantage of vacuum firing of porcelain
A. better colour.
B. less shrinkage.
C. more translucency.
D. increased strength. Vacuum firing helps improve the strength of the porcelaine.

6. a characteristic of the periodontium which allows safe temporary separation of the teeth is the
a. nature of acellular cementum
b. elasticity of bone
c. modified continuous eruption- *
d. passive eruption

Hi,
Does anyone have answers to the released quetions available on the website for ACFD eligibility eaxam.

Thanks!!

In a semi precision attachment for a fixed partial denture from 35 to 37, missing 36 where is ideally the male part located :

1.distal 35 retainer
2.distal 36 pontic
3.mesial 36
4.mesial 37

I am thinking mesial 36 but I am not sure if 35 can accomodate as much cutting as it is need for the female part.

i think mesial 36 too,i have seen it made oin quad 4 ......that is why i am saying it is there any reason why it is not made on the mesial 37??

the mesia furcation of a max molar is best probed from

buccal
lingual
buccal and lingual

I am thinking lingual...what do you think ?

62 year old female with complete dentures never smoked which of the following can progress into sq. cell carcinoma

smooth red patch of mid post dorsal tongue
white plaque of mandibular alveolar ridge mucosa
bilateral buccal mucosa leukedema
white plaque on ventral tongue

About probing : I think from both side is correct ,
and do you have any Idea in this choice ? the prob must be parallel to long axix of the tooth , or paralell to the root of the tooth ?

About probing : I think from both side is correct ,
and do you have any Idea in this choice ? the prob must be parallel to long axix of the tooth , or paralell to the root of the tooth ?

I think lingual because the lingual embrasure is larger than buccal and allows for the probe to be placed closer to the mid-line of the proximal furcation where I think the furcation can be found.