California Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I recently contacted Chapman regarding the wait list and they said that there is about 100+ applicants on the waitlist and that they were going to finalize it to be able to notify those wanting to know their position by next week.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, that is a long wait list. I know for Samuel Merritt they only have 49 on their waitlist and they already gave me a number. For Loma Linda they just stated I was on the waitlist. Didn't tell me how many or what rank I was.

yeah i thought 100+ was a huge number also. but i guess that ptcas has made it a lot easier to apply to pt school than before, so I'm sure they eliminated just as many applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
usc sent a letter

Got a letter from USC this morning....
But rejected...:(:(:(

for anybody invited to usc's open house..all of those who were invited to it get in? anybody not invited to the open house get into the program?

I was invited to the open house and attended, but I have not received any info from USC. I think the open house was for prospective students, so maybe those who were interviewed and those in consideration. I don't think everyone who attended got accepted. All I remember was that there were a lot of people there. I got to meet people from all over the country, just in my little group.

received the letter from USC and.... placed on their alternate list. They want those on the alternate list to send a hand written letter back to the department by April 21st, to confirm our spot and after April 28th, we'd be able to find out our ranking on the list.

Just got the same USC letter.

as a heads up, i got a letter from Western dated 3/18. :D good luck.

weird, not because you received a letter and hopefully good news, but i just received an email from Western stating that my application was complete and that they're going to process it. I guess they're not done with interviews, or at least I hope they aren't? Otherwise, they would have sent me a rejection letter. I guess it may be due to the time I sent my application out.

I just talked with the admissions director at Western last week and she told me that the last interviews will be on March 25th, 2009. After this, they will begin reviewing all the candidates and send acceptances out early April.

I interviewed back in January as the very first group and submitted my application back on October 1st, 2008 on the original deadline before they moved it. This is the information that has been given to me. I am not doubting what you state. I just hate all the run around that the schools have given me. I know they are overwhelmed this year with PTCAS, so their process seems to be very disorganized and delayed.

Regardless, congrats on your acceptance. :D

thanks! i thought it was really weird too because i also remember them saying that they would send out acceptances in april, especially since they ask everyone the same interview questions.

just as a fyi:
i turned in my app: early Jan
application confirmation email: Jan 16th
interview offer email: Feb 23rd
interviewed: March 4th with about 30 other people! they also mentioned that there was one more interview date later in the month.
acceptance letter: March 18th

i hope you hear back soon! i'm going to decline the offer because i'm set to go to another school. i wish you luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
well my hunch as to how they're processing apps is based on last name since they have 4 (?) admissions counselors for a specific portion of the alphabet. I'm just guessing because I too sent my application early January and I have received the application confirmation about 2 weeks after, and I believe I got that email twice. Just recently I got the application confirmation email stating that my application was complete and also about interviews. Which school have you decided on pthopeful?

The last interview date for western are on 3/25, 3/28, and 4/8. I just got off the phone with someone from Chapman and they will be sending out rankings for their waitlist between Today and Wednesday.

Last edited:
It would be nice to find out the ranking. It seems like some other schools already have the ranking done.

Got the email from Chapman today with my rank. On the upper half of the wait list, but not comfortable enough for me to decline an acceptance to another school. So its a good thing I have 2 weeks to send my deposit to MSMC out & hopefully I'll move on up the list since they both require a $500 deposit.

Have to check my email now. Thanks for the info.

i got rejected from loma linda and usc, disappointed that i didnt even make the alternate list

Sorry to hear, hopefully you applied to other programs. If not, there is always next year. I know many people that are on their second application cycle.

the schools that sound most interested in me are cal state northridge and at still. not that all surprised since i know that my science gpa is not all that great, thanks for the kind words

Does anyone know anything about the DPT program at Chapman? I was accepted into their program a few days ago but I don't know much about their facilities, faculty, license exam pass rate, etc. I'm planning on making a visit to their campus to get some questions answered but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on it...good or bad. Anything helps. Thanks!

Does anyone know anything about the DPT program at Chapman? I was accepted into their program a few days ago but I don't know much about their facilities, faculty, license exam pass rate, etc. I'm planning on making a visit to their campus to get some questions answered but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on it...good or bad. Anything helps. Thanks!
First of all I want to say, congrats! Chapman is my first choice so I'm very jealous. Ive worked with therapists from chapman and seen their interns and I must say that they are amazing. It's like they're on a completely different level.
I just visited the campus recently and their facilities are amazing. All of the classes are held in one building. They teach in cohorts so you will have all of your classes with the same people. I didn't get to see much of the anatomy lab but it sounds like it's not one group sharing a cadaver, they have a bunch of cadavers and the first year you are watching the second year students as they dissect the cadavers (that's what it sounded like). They have a 100% pass rate first time around.

Congratulations! I say you should just go over and visit their facilities to get a good look at the place and meet their faculty. I'm working with a therapist who's a recent grad from Chapman, and he passed the boards the first time around, and I think he said his whole class ended up passing their first time around. However, I'm not too sure about their first time pass rate is 100% for each graduating class, and their website doesn't exactly mention if it's first time or ultimate, so it's a bit misleading. Usually I've seen that schools range from 90-97% first time pass rate on average.

but here's their website which lists some info about them. Seems like an 80% graduation rate is a bit scary. I wonder how other school's graduation rates are. http://www.chapman.edu/cs/pt/about/

Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately I live up in norcal so a quick trip to look at their facilities involves some planning and time off work :(
Hopefully I'll be able to take a trip down there next month...i just put down the depost anyways since its due next week. I'm 90% sure I'm going there since I only applied to two schools and the other school I got into will cost me an arm and a leg =/

Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately I live up in norcal so a quick trip to look at their facilities involves some planning and time off work :(
Hopefully I'll be able to take a trip down there next month...i just put down the depost anyways since its due next week. I'm 90% sure I'm going there since I only applied to two schools and the other school I got into will cost me an arm and a leg =/

Just wondering what other school you had apply to?

Congrats!!! It is a good program. I checked out the facilities on one of their info sessions last year and it looked pretty solid. I haven't met any alumni, but from what others are saying it seems like they are prepared and knowledgeable. Of course, pass rates on the exam are a big factor, so having a high pass rate is good. I just know that the program is one of the oldest since it was originally the certificate program from CHLA.

Chapman is not that cheap, so your other school must be UOP or USC if it cost an arm and a leg. Is there any reason why you didn't apply to CSU Sac, Samuel Merritt, etc... since they are all in NorCal

I only applied to USC and Chapman. USC is my dream school and in a perfect world I would go there but their tuition is ridiculous...Chapman seems a little bit more realistic for getting my DPT.

To answer your question pttrac, I did my undergrad at CSULB so a lot of my friends and networking are down in SoCal...I would much rather be down there.... I moved back home to NorCal early last year to pay off my undergrad debt so I would have a clean slate going into grad school and to save whatever money I could since working in PT school is almost impossible, especially the 1st year.

I think there are some on this board from CSULB so you might know some people on here. How come you did not apply to CSULB?

Congrats on getting into both schools. I am on the waitlist for both so I might see you in the Fall. I didn't have good enough grades to apply to only two schools, so I didn't want to chance it on my first application cycle and applied to almost all the schools in CA. I just hope I get off of one of my waitlisted schools soon.

I think there are some on this board from CSULB so you might know some people on here. How come you did not apply to CSULB?

Congrats on getting into both schools. I am on the waitlist for both so I might see you in the Fall. I didn't have good enough grades to apply to only two schools, so I didn't want to chance it on my first application cycle and applied to almost all the schools in CA. I just hope I get off of one of my waitlisted schools soon.

I didn't apply to CSULB because I wanted to go for the DPT and figured I might as well do it know instead of going back to school for it later. They have a great MPT program though and if it wasn't for the fact that the field was going in the DPT direction I would have applied there.

Just some advice about waitlists...I was on the waitlist for Chapman and e-mailed the Admissions person about what my rank was (I was worried because as some people had posted in this thread, they had contacted them about their rank, but had not yet contact me)...anyways, she e-mailed me a couple days later with an acceptance letter. So i guess if you're not sure where you rank go ahead and contact the department and ask if they can give you a number...you may be the next accepted applicant on the list :)

I applied to CSULB and I wouldn't mind going there. Saving money is a big incentive, but my girlfriend and parents keep telling me to just do the DPT and get it out of the way.

Some people are saying that a future employer will pay for the tDPT, but what if that never happens and I have to end up paying it myself and by that time I might have a family and so many things going on that I might not want to go back to school. There are many factors in choosing the MPT vs. DPT. I guess I will have to be making that decision soon.

Thanks for the advice. I haven't had time to call Chapman, but I will call them this week. I am afraid I might be on the lower portion of the waitlist :(

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this thread and have been checking in everyday for the month to see if anyone's heard anything from CSUN. Is there anyone out there with any info on when they might start sending out acceptances/rejections. I know that their application deadline is later than most other schools in CA but I would think that would put them at a disadvantage in recruiting quality students. Also, is this school on anyone's list, would they choose this program over others in the LA area, if so, why or why not?

The last time I heard from CSUN was about three weeks ago because they wanted me to send a copy of my GRE scores. I'm guessing that they're in the process of reviewing applications so it may be a few week until decisions are made. I applied tonseveral schools mostly around then LA Area and CSUN was the program Im considering if I do decide to go through the MPT route, but I feel that because we won't hear from them for a while that I would have already decided on which school I'd be attending.

I got the same email from CSUN a few weeks ago, about updating my profile and sending a transcript to them, since they didn't receive one of them. Other than that, I have not heard much from their program.

I actually just received word from Chapman about my waitlist ranking. All I can say is that there are alot of people on that list. :thumbdown:

Hello everyone,

Just got an acceptance letter from CSUN! I'm very excited, it was the only school I applied to and I was biting my nails in anticipation. It came in the mail today, but I am a Los Angeles resident so mine may have come sooner than others.

Got an acceptance email from CSULB yesterday...anybody else?

Anyone heard back from western yet? I called last week and they said they will send out decisions in April!!

Western has already admitted some people from their past interviews. Im pretty sure that their last interview date was this past Wednesday April 8th. So if you don't hear from them in a few weeks, then I think you should give them a call. However, I think you should have heard from them already since you interviewed back in March, unless if it was later in the month.

I just heard back from Western :thumbup: , CSUN :thumbup: , and CSULB :thumbdown: this past week. Anyone make a final decision yet or still holding out on that wait list?

I just heard back from Western :thumbup: , CSUN :thumbup: , and CSULB :thumbdown: this past week. Anyone make a final decision yet or still holding out on that wait list?
I'm sorry about CSULB but congrats on Western and CSUN. Would you mind posting your stats? I'm planning on applying to those same schools this fall. What was the interview at Western like?

After much debating I've decided to attend Chapman in the fall. Anyone else planning on attending? If you are, are you planning on going to the reception next weekend, 4/25?

I'm sorry about CSULB but congrats on Western and CSUN. Would you mind posting your stats? I'm planning on applying to those same schools this fall. What was the interview at Western like?

My stats are already posted on the stats thread. I just updated it yesterday with all the acceptances, waitlist, and reject. I remember discussing the Western Interview in one of these threads around here. You can pm if you want more info.

question for anyone accepted to CSULB: Is there a deposit required?

Hi guys,

For the California schools, I applied to Samuel Merritt, University of Pacific, USC, Loma Linda University and MSMC.

I submitted my PTCAS app in mid Oct.

I got interviews at Samuel Merritt, LLU and MSMC.
I also went to the DPT open house for USC.

I got rejected from USC. :thumbdown:
I got waitlisted at Samuel Merritt and MSMC. :oops:
I got accepted to LLU :)

I got all my letters in Feb.

I'm going to LLU... anyone else going there??