AB 387 (Minimum Wage for Interns) Heads to Assembly Floor (California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyingsquirrel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The CPTA and the APTA is trying to push this bill down. The bill essentially requires giving a minimum wage to interns and comply with labor laws. They believe no one is ever going to accept interns if they have to pay them. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

The CPTA and the APTA is trying to push this bill down. The bill essentially requires giving a minimum wage to interns and comply with labor laws. They believe no one is ever going to accept interns if they have to pay them. What do you guys think?

So students are getting paid for their work

Make a change so that CIs get CEU requirements null and void for taking on interns. Interns can also stay later for paperwork completion to help with efficiency. Some extra work and stress on the student will be mitigated by some financial security.

Last edited:
Something tells me opening a DPT program is wildly profitable, judging by the pace at which they are opening. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing if programs need to work a little harder to get placements, if that means already overburdened students don't have to work for free.

But that's just my naive and biased opinion

Members don't see this ad :)
Something tells me opening a DPT program is wildly profitable, judging by the pace at which they are opening. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing if programs need to work a little harder to get placements, if that means already overburdened students don't have to work for free.

But that's just my naive and biased opinion

It would lead to unaccreditation of schools I believe and therefore decreased programs. I also believe that if a program gets shut down through no fault of the student, they can discharge their loans.

So students are getting paid for their work.

CIs get CEU requirements null and void for taking on interns. Interns can also stay later for paperwork completion to help with efficiency. Some extra work and stress on the student will be mitigated by some financial security. The Veterans Administration already does this.
I have never gotten credit for CEUs for having students

So students are getting paid for their work.

CIs get CEU requirements null and void for taking on interns. Interns can also stay later for paperwork completion to help with efficiency. Some extra work and stress on the student will be mitigated by some financial security. The Veterans Administration already does this.

I'm sure it varies by state but in Florida CIs only get CEUs if they are a credentialed clinical instructor by the APTA.. and with that I get 2 CEUs for an 8 week internship.

Not all students are great students and some have the potential of making your job that much harder. If you have a good student, yes your life and job will be easier.

I also refuse to see students as free labor. My job is to ensure ensure they know what they are doing and why they are doing it but to also teach further information or treatment ideas which I have learned from my experience. Personally I am huge on time management myself and I instill this on students; that they have to get the documentation done on time. Students don't get paid overtime and I don't want them (or me) staying late.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure it varies by state but in Florida CIs only get CEUs if they are a credentialed clinical instructor by the APTA.. and with that I get 2 CEUs for an 8 week internship.

Not all students are great students and some have the potential of making your job that much harder. If you have a good student, yes your life and job will be easier.

I also refuse to see students as free labor. My job is to ensure ensure they know what they are doing and why they are doing it but to also teach further information or treatment ideas which I have learned from my experience. Personally I am huge on time management myself and I instill this on students; that they have to get the documentation done on time. Students don't get paid overtime and I don't want them (or me) staying late.
Totally agree with this post. Some students are awesome, some are horrible, and most are in the middle. Like Forrest said "you never know what your gonna git"

I have never gotten credit for CEUs for having students

I'm saying change it to that so you have incentive. Sorry I did not clarify. Edited above.

It would help students but you need incentive as well

Last edited: