Past misdemeanors and licensing in California.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathforwardtoDPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm midway through my first semester and it was brought to my attention that California has a very strict licensing board. I have a DUI misdemeanor from another state over 5 yrs ago and a "minor in possession (marijuana)" which was reduced to "disturbing the peace" almost 10 years ago. I absolutely regret my actions in the past and have learned from them and am completely open about it. I will make no attempt to hide this when applying for licensure. How are my chances when being allowed to sit in the board exams?

A faculty member went as far as to telling me to get a consultation with a lawyer about the issue. I just don't want to go through three years of hard work only to find out I can't even take the NPTE. Anybody with experience in this matter? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First off even before boards, I would look into how this might affect your clinical placements. I think there are some settings that may not accept students with a record/that can't pass a background check. I could be wrong, but this could affect your ability to complete clinical rotations and ultimately your degree. I would ask your Clin ed director about this.
As far as boards go, I would try calling this number? They should be able to tell you how they deal with past convictions and taking the exam.
Contact Us
Physical Therapy Board of California
2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 1350
Sacramento, CA 95815
Telephone: (916) 561-8200
Fax: (916) 263-2560

Members don't see this ad :)
First off even before boards, I would look into how this might affect your clinical placements. I think there are some settings that may not accept students with a record/that can't pass a background check. I could be wrong, but this could affect your ability to complete clinical rotations and ultimately your degree. I would ask your Clin ed director about this.
As far as boards go, I would try calling this number? They should be able to tell you how they deal with past convictions and taking the exam.
Contact Us
Physical Therapy Board of California
2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 1350
Sacramento, CA 95815
Telephone: (916) 561-8200
Fax: (916) 263-2560

Ok! Thanks for the guidance!

Last edited: