California School of Podiatric Medicine!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpmfall2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
CSPM students and graduates...can you please tell me more about your school. Has it prepared you and put you in the right place for great residencies all over the country? I loved the school and just want some more opinions!!!

Members don't see this ad.

CSPM is a great school, regardless of what some people have said on this forum in the past. It will absolutely prepare you to become a very competitive applicant for any residency program in the country, but it's all dependent upon what you put in as a student (this applies to ANY program). The information needed is presented but it is up to the student to learn it.
Yes, there are schools with much nicer campuses for the first 2 yrs, but the clinical experience you get (starting in the 2nd year..something no other school offers) at CSPM is without compare. Yes, it actually IS helpful to treat patients at Highland Alameda county hospital as a second year... yes you DO get to do many matricectomies, avulsions, wound care, etc. as a second year student. And yes, the Bay Area is nice, but it's more than that.... those who choose CSPM will absolutely be ready to rock and roll with the best of them from any school, as long as said persons apply themselves in school.;)

As was mentioned, all of the pod schools can give you what you need...

DMU, AZ, and Scholl are pretty much the best for basic sciences and high pt1 pass rates, but then their 3rd year pod clinic volumes leave something to be desired. Barry, Temple, and it sounds like CCPM (I've never rotated with cali students and my hospital never gets Cali clerks) have ok basic sciences, but their strength is strong school pod clinics with many pts and good diverse pathology. NY and OCPM are independent stand alone pod schools, so... well, um, yah... go there if you can't get in elsewhere or really need those geographic areas due to family, I guess. Western in SoCal is really too new; the verdict is still out, but it's an integrated school at a health care University that seems to have good potential.

As was mentioned above, you just want to work very hard, study well, and immerse yourself in the curriculum and the training - basic sciences, clinicals, and clerkships. In the end, there are great residents and attendings who are almumni from all of the schools. Sure, some have more of a tradition of success than others, but at the end of the day, it's the person paying the tuition and holding the pencil that makes their own "luck." GL, you picked a great career field :thumbup: