California Northstate University College of Medicine(CNUCOM): Avoid this school at all costs!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 user
If the school maintains it's provisional status despite probation, does that not mean its faults are fixable within a reasonable window of time?
In theory, yes, but CNU's pattern of behavior thus far has not been reassuring.

Remember, this is the school that sat its inaugural class the same year it received preliminary accreditation, which was unheard of. It then took four years to get provisional accreditation, something that is intended to take only two. Three years later it's on probation.

I do wonder how many threats of legal action have been lobbed at the LCME through this whole thing.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I do wonder how many threats of legal action have been lobbed at the LCME through this whole thing.

Their model (for profit, not really any financial aid) may backfire in this regard as the students are probably more likely to have the means to afford legal fees and such

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Their model (for profit, not really any financial aid) may backfire in this regard as the students are probably more likely to have the means to afford legal fees and such
Where are you getting this?

Don’t they not accept federal loans? Those who can pay or borrow 90k per academic year in private loans are more likely to be wealthy, or at least I would assume
Well loans are loans. The students can't change the fact that the school is private. But ok.

Remember, this is the school that sat its inaugural class the same year it received preliminary accreditation, which was unheard of. It then took four years to get provisional accreditation, something that is intended to take only two. Three years later it's on probation.

I agree with my colleague here. We know accreditation has a ton of stuff that is kept confidential so unless you're an accreditor (can't discuss it) or a university high-level administrator (president, dean, board of trustee member: won't discuss this) or involved in the accreditation process in writing up the reports (definitely won't discuss this), everything is set up so that the school has the benefit of the doubt and expectation to do whatever it takes to avoid the public disclosure of a probation status. As has been pointed out, the failure to meet milepost deadlines in a timely manner already tells you something was amiss.

If you fail all your exams including your final, don't expect the instructor to give you enough extra credit to pass, even if you come begging and pleading during office hours; that's what's going on here.

As we point out in other threads, LCME is always open to any anonymous/confidential reporting and I'm guessing can ask for a response from the school if the accusations seem to have some merit. So I'm not sure if threats of legal action really shake the LCME much since for all we know, this is hopefully just an extreme outlier. It's not like LCME has a pattern of being that derelict. Now, if it's a question of the CNU threatening legal action... I'd have to figure out how that would work that results in CNU getting accreditation.

I'd still like to hear comment from the Sacramento? city council that approved the new complex who were kept in the dark about this issue.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Well loans are loans. The students can't change the fact that the school is private. But ok.
Federal loans and payback mechanisms are important ways to manage student debt that this school has chosen not to provide from day one.

• Angry
  • Sad

They admitted that class with faxes and PayPal, not AMCAS within two months of starting classes.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
We've published a new article about the accreditation status:

(Edited to clarify that this is a new article, not an update of the other article)

Pretty sure hackensack did the same, lots of similarities between the two

Do you think there is a risk that hackensack doesn’t gain accreditation? If so, why? Wouldn’t it be a blemish on the entire hospital system? Also I thought the CNU was for profit. Didn’t know this was the case at HMSM

Last edited:
I don’t think Hackensack will have the same issue. Them having the whole hospital system makes me feel they will make sure all their ducks are in a row.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can accreditation occur after the first class graduates and if so is it possible that it would occur before matriculation this year? I was debating between this and another school because I like the 3yr program but now I’m a bit worried based on the similarities with CNU comment. May make decision easier

Hackensack has an interesting history, but similarities are limited.

1. Seton Hall is a real university.
2. Seton Hall is a real university.
3. Hackensack Meridian Health is a real health system.
4. The story goes that the founding dean, the late Dr. Bonita Stanton, was somehow paralyzed over the preliminary accreditation process. The school first submitted initial paperwork to the LCME in July 2015, but its actual application for preliminary accreditation did not go in until sometime in 2017. By the time the school received preliminary in 2018 it's program was sitting there, idling, waiting for students. Perhaps they were impatient, but they've also progressed without any publicized hiccups. Even the breakup with Seton Hall hasn't slowed things down.
5. Did I mention that Hackensack Meridian Health is a real health system, with 17 hospitals, GME, and over $1.5 billion in revenue?

• Love
Do you think there is a risk that hackensack doesn’t gain accreditation? If so, why? Wouldn’t it be a blemish on the entire hospital system? Also I thought the CNU was for profit. Didn’t know this was the case at HMSM
Hackensack should be fine. It's also not-for-profit.

For the record, Hackensack is accredited at the provisional level. The next LCME visit is supposed to occur during the 2022-2023 academic year.

Hackensack should be fine. It's also not-for-profit.

For the record, Hackensack is accredited at the provisional level. The next LCME visit is supposed to occur during the 2022-2023 academic year.
Should applicants be worried about CUSM? It is in the preliminary accreditation status and is not for profit as well. However, it was founded by the same Robert Suskind who founded CNU... I know its origins are not ideal, but should we be worried about their accreditation based on what we've seen here?

Should applicants be worried about CUSM? It is in the preliminary accreditation status and is not for profit as well. However, it was founded by the same Robert Suskind who founded CNU... I know its origins are not ideal, but should we be worried about their accreditation based on what we've seen here?
I don't have any real knowledge of CUSM, which implies that it has managed to stay under the radar relative to CNU. While it sort of gives off a strip mall vibe, it's a non-profit, it can claim a real mission (docs for Inland Empire), and its partnership with Arrowhead looks pretty strategic.

This may be one of those instances where the early bird got the worm, but the second mouse will get the cheese.

• Haha
I don't have any real knowledge of CUSM, which implies that it has managed to stay under the radar relative to CNU. While it sort of gives off a strip mall vibe, it's a non-profit, it can claim a real mission (docs for Inland Empire), and its partnership with Arrowhead looks pretty strategic.

This may be one of those instances where the early bird got the worm, but the second mouse will get the cheese.

Strip mall vibe?

1646411797880.png

Strip mall vibe?
They started out at a location that does look like a strip mall. They moved into this facility two years ago and it is right accorss the street from Arowhead Regional Hospital that has descent residency programs. Clinical education is good because I believe students rotate to many hospitals local to the IE. Students are not sent to 25 different locations accross mulitple states for M3 and M4.

Last edited:
Don't both medical school deans (the donor and the recipient) need to approve a transfer?
Under normal circumstances, yes.
So far, we have no indication that their dean is aware of the requests to transfer.
We are certainly not going to dox the students to their dean to find out.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
I imagine the CNU orientation is going to feel rather subdued this year.
Or, they will continue in full denial and deny to their incoming students that there is anything at all to worry about. And the students who are there will happily swallow it hook, line and sinker. If not, why would they risk being there at all under the present circumstances?

We are now getting requests from current students begging to transfer.
Or, they will continue in full denial and deny to their incoming students that there is anything at all to worry about. And the students who are there will happily swallow it hook, line and sinker. If not, why would they risk being there at all under the present circumstances?
This is absolutely terrifying as lot of dots are starting to connect for me now. CNUCOM must have created the "BS/MD" program back in 2016, the post-bacc program, and the masters programs in order to ensure an influx of students are coming into their school regardless of their future accreditation issues. Even if all the outside applicants from other undergraduate colleges (UCLA, UCSD, Stanford, etc) are denying their CNUCOM admission decisions, many desperate CNU BS/MD and CNU post-bacc students will still take the acceptance if it is their only one... they can probably fill up half of their class with just kids from CNU already. It is almost as if CNU predicted this could occur. This is absolutely embarrassing on CNU's part and a scheme to ensure they have a constant supply of students.

I pray for all of these current CNU medical students who are requesting transfers. Goodluck to them on their journey.

This is absolutely terrifying as lot of dots are starting to connect for me now. CNUCOM must have created the "BS/MD" program back in 2016, the post-bacc program, and the masters programs in order to ensure an influx of students are coming into their school regardless of their future accreditation issues. Even if all the outside applicants from other undergraduate colleges (UCLA, UCSD, Stanford, etc) are denying their CNUCOM admission decisions, many desperate CNU BS/MD and CNU post-bacc students will still take the acceptance if it is their only one... they can probably fill up half of their class with just kids from CNU already. It is almost as if CNU predicted this could occur. This is absolutely embarrassing on CNU's part and a scheme to ensure they have a constant supply of students.

I pray for all of these current CNU medical students who are requesting transfers. Goodluck to them on their journey.
yup. I was in the post bacc program a couple years ago. They had started to become popular and competitive so myself and a lot of qualified post bacc and BS/MD students were denied admissions to the med school but now that the truth came out about their accreditation, they will fill their class with the BSMD and post bacc and masters students.

I mean these types of programs are pretty common, and literally every other school is not having these problems.

Reactions: 3 users
I suspect most students there are aware of their current situation. This page is one of the top search results regarding CNU's accreditation status, so it's hardly a secret. People talk and rumors spread quickly. Unfortunately, the students currently there are in an unenviable situation; however, until the school closes (if it does), people will continue to matriculate. For many, having a shot is better than no shot at all. It's flawed logic, but that hasn't prevented many students from pursuing the Caribbean route despite its well-known risks and six figure debt.

Reactions: 3 users
I suspect most students there are aware of their current situation. This page is one of the top search results regarding CNU's accreditation status, so it's hardly a secret. People talk and rumors spread quickly. Unfortunately, the students currently there are in an unenviable situation; however, until the school closes (if it does), people will continue to matriculate. For many, having a shot is better than no shot at all. It's flawed logic, but that hasn't prevented many students from pursuing the Caribbean route despite its well-known risks and six figure debt.
The is exactly my point! The school will deny to incoming students that there is a problem, and the students will suspend their disbelief and gobble up the BS. Flawed logic, because if they looked at the situation with their eyes wide open, they'd never write the big check, or sign the big private lender promissory note, while hoping for the best. If there is anything worse than being stuck with a big federal loan after washing out of the Caribbean, it's this, if the worst case is that the school closes and current students have to start over at another school, rather than being allowed to transfer!

To me, the difference between this and the Caribbean is that people going to the Caribbean do so with rose colored glasses on, since around half entering do come back to practice in the US, and everyone who is aware of the numbers just naturally imagines they will be in that half. Here, the outcome could very well be entirely outside their control, they could end up being totally screwed even if they excel in school.

I just don't understand how anyone would knowingly take this shot, now, unless they are counting on being bailed out, which I haven't heard anyone with experience opine is a likely outcome. The alternative is simply improving an application and trying another cycle, just like everyone else not blessed with this "opportunity" does. Seems like a rare no-brainer to me.

anyone have any actual updates from current students? They were able to update their website with Match photos in less than 12 hours but still no plan or updates regarding their probationary accreditation status or any plans by school faculty/administrators to remedy this.

anyone have any actual updates from current students? They were able to update their website with Match photos in less than 12 hours but still no plan or updates regarding their probationary accreditation status or any plans by school faculty/administrators to remedy this.
Given their history from the very beginning of their existence, were you honestly expecting anything else?

Whatever they are, or are not, doing behind the scenes, their public posture is, was, has been and will be that there is nothing to see here. Right up until the time they either receive full accreditation or shut their doors. As long as they have disclosed that they are on probation, they have said what they are required to.

Honestly, they are probably smart for taking this approach. Who would believe anything they say at this point anyway? And anything they say that later turns out not to have have been 100% true will just be another count in a lawsuit. I have no doubt current students know exactly as much about what is going on with LCME as anyone outside the senior ranks of the school's administration - nothing. Caveat emptor.

California Northstate is a for-profit school. Some key investors are backing away from the school. That will kill it far sooner than the accreditation issue.

• Wow
California Northstate is a for-profit school. Some key investors are backing away from the school. That will kill it far sooner than the accreditation issue.
Details? And, is your knowledge limited to the dental school, or does it apply to the university as a whole?

The medical school Dean, who joined just a few months ago, resigned last week. Faculty have left or are leaving. They continue to interview applicants with the hope of ensnaring those who have not secured admission at other medical schools.

Beware!

• Wow
  • Sad
The medical school Dean, who joined just a few months ago, resigned last week. Faculty have left or are leaving. They continue to interview applicants with the hope of ensnaring those who have not secured admission at other medical schools.

Beware!
At this point, given the wide reporting of their issues, I don't think they will be ensnaring anyone.

I think a bunch of people who are playing with fire will go in with their eyes wide open, counting on a bailout if the worst happens and the school loses its accreditation before they graduate.

I wish them the best, but it's not a bet I would make, any more than I would bet on being a Caribbean survivor. If CNU was my only choice, I'd turn it down and do whatever I had to do to make myself a better applicant in a future cycle.

In fact, I never would have applied in the first place, and certainly not now that their issues with LCME have been exposed for all the world to see, in addition to all the other issues afflicting this school since the day they opened their doors. But the great thing about this country is that everyone is free to make their own decisions, even objectively bad ones. For profits, like CNU and the Caribbean schools, have actually built very successful businesses that depend on it.

Last edited: