California Northstate University College of Medicine(CNUCOM): Avoid this school at all costs!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes. That's the MD advantage. My (low-tier) MD school has matched dozens of students to Yale, hopkins, mgh, etc... our average MCAT isn't far off from that of some DO schools with high averages like CCOM, PCOM, Touro, but you'll never see them match at such institutions
Lol what programs? Hopkins EM, PMR, Yale IM and Yale IM PC track and DR have taken DO's too, I mean PCOM had a CT surgery match at UMich.. If it was between a school like PCOM and CNU... knowing what we know.. I would certainly have to give it a thought.. I mean the school couldn't get initial accreditation dude...haven't seen that happen like ever, at least not in a long time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
“very good” but also “Low-tier”

Takes mediocre to mean let me look for the worst DO matches off a list online.

Perhaps a troll.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
They may interview them as a courtesy and to give them a little ego boost but never rank to match (RTM)
Wait why would a top-tier residency waste its own time and resources to do that though? Honest question.

Members don't see this ad :)
A very good one. The bias is real though. Just scan those programs websites you'll see them match FMGs from Lebanon, Saudi, and other countries but never touch an osteopath. They may interview them as a courtesy and to give them a little ego boost but never rank to match (RTM)
Dude those FMG's I can 1000% guarantee have years and years of research years to get that spot.. like no DO senior would do that just for a particular brand name place and give up $$$ of attending salary.. it all pays the same at the end of the day.. hope you understand that lol .
Also "osteopath".... hahahah

Reactions: 1 users
Wait why would a top-tier residency waste its own time and resources to do that though? Honest question.
They don't... spidermedic is an M2 with very limited knowledge in the applying to residency process. No residency program is wasting precious residency spot interview in competitive specialties as a courtesy. Believe it or not DO's actually sometimes rank lower ranked programs higher... I 1000% percent know a DO(with 230's step but a great overall app) who ranked Harvard ortho lower on his list.. I also know of a DO who ranked Vandy derm lower on thier list too.

Dude those FMG's I can 1000% guarantee have years and years of research years to get that spot.. like no DO senior would do that just for a particular brand name place and give up $$$ of attending salary.. it all pays the same at the end of the day.. hope you understand that lol .
Also "osteopath".... hahahah
No they don't. That's a myth. There are many programs (including some cards and GI fellowships near me) that are 33/33/33 DO/FMG/IMG and all have less research than M3s at my school. Let's stop acting like the average FMG is some 280/30 pubs rockstar. USMDs average ~235 and it's the IMG/FMG/DO that bring that number down

They don't... spidermedic is an M2 with very limited knowledge in the applying to residency process. No residency program is wasting precious residency spot interview in competitive specialties as a courtesy. Believe it or not DO's actually sometimes rank lower ranked programs higher... I 1000% percent know a DO(with 230's step but a great overall app) who ranked Harvard ortho lower on his list.. I also know of a DO who ranked Vandy derm lower on thier list.
I have limited knowledge? You don't seem to understand how ranking works. It is literally to one's benefit to rank programs based on their preference, not where they think they're most likely to match. You cannot game the system. It's an algorithm. Where are all these osteopaths ranking MGH and Hopkins dead list on their list? I want to meet them

You should brush up on your knowledge a bit

I looked at VCOM’s match list and surprise surprise, there’s Mayo, JHU, Case, Pitt (including ortho), Duke.

And a prestigious name for undergrad or med school does not necessarily translate for residency. Programs you wouldn’t have guessed are the best training spots and regarded highly by those in that speciality.

No they don't. That's a myth. There are many programs (including some cards and GI fellowships near me) that are 33/33/33 DO/FMG/IMG and all have less research than M3s at my school. Let's stop acting like the average FMG is some 280/30 pubs rockstar. USMDs average ~235 and it's the IMG/FMG/DO that bring down the average
What are you even talking about? Just stop dude lol.. You were talking about top tier residencies like top 5-10 programs taking FMG's over DO's and not considering DO's, I am saying those FMG's got those spots because of research years at those institutions often spending a few years there. No one is talking about a cards or GI fellowship that is 33/33/33 DO/FMG/IMG lol what does that have to do with anything. Also dead wrong about the 235 average, that average includes DO's but not FMG's as it's only US medical students. Just look at the IM spreadsheet(I have) the vast majority of IMG's have 240 if not higher. Very few FMG's can even realistically match FM without a 220. Your attitude scares me for your future patients and how you will treat your future colleagues.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I looked at VCOM’s match list and surprise surprise, there’s Mayo, JHU, Case, Pitt (including ortho), Duke.

And a prestigious name for undergrad or med school does not necessarily translate for residency. Programs you wouldn’t have guessed are the best training spots and regarded highly by those in that speciality.
PM&R is literally the most DO friendly. The ortho is a pitt-partner hospital not the main branch. Reminds me of a kid I knew from college who was telling me his brother matched at cleveland clinic. I asked some more to find out he was a caribb grad and matched FM at a cleveland clinic remote branch

PM&R is literally the most DO friendly. The ortho is a pitt-partner hospital not the main branch. Reminds me of a kid I knew from college who was telling me his brother matched at cleveland clinic. I asked some more to find out he was a caribb grad and matched FM at a cleveland clinic remote branch
let's see you match ortho at that pitt partner hospital in about 2 years... it's all acgme now anyways. You need some humble pie

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t see how that changes the fact that student will be an orthopedic surgeon. And I already disclosed that the best training spots are sometimes not Ivy-League or similar “fancy” names.

It is unfortunate that some people never can see beyond that and look deeper. Even if a DO (or MD) program in a rural state has “boring” or actual less-prestigious matches, that likely is exactly what a lot of students wanted. I don’t want to be stuck in Boston or the Bay Area (no offense to those who are there) even if I could be at MGH or UCSF.

And I do understand that some students want to keep aiming high, but I don’t think CNU is gonna do them any favors for that.

Really? Your such a failure man.. in a USMD school but only wants FM.. what a shame your gonna essentially be a "osteopath"
You're* and I'm actually going for FM and getting certified in OMM then opening just doing the latter for the next 30 years

You're* and I'm actually going for FM and getting certified in OMM then opening just doing the latter for the next 30 years
Awesome.... in all seriousness tho.. let's stop s****** on each other's degrees, there's NP's quite literally trying to do our jobs with like 2 years of schooling, getting fake DNP's and calling each other "doctors"and practicing medicine independently getting six figures. I'd be much more worried about that in the grand scheme of things.

• Love

Dude, you have spent the last few hours arguing over the internet over OTHER PEOPLE'S matches, and for some god-knows-what reason have tied your ego to match lists. Not everyone wants to go to Yale/MGH/Hopkins, and most people genuinely don't give a s***. Seriously, get off SDN and find some other meaning in your life that isn't tied to a degree or academic pedigree.

Reactions: 5 users
Awesome.... in all seriousness tho.. let's stop s****** on each other's degrees, there's NP's quite literally trying to do our jobs with like 2 years of schooling, getting fake DNP's and calling each other "doctors"and practicing medicine independently getting six figures. I'd be much more worried about that in the grand scheme of things.

I agree. The MD/DO divide needs to stop. Have to respect each other and focus on ensuring patients can be treated by physicians instead of letting the MBAs and admin cut costs with NPs.

I would never judge a colleague differently just because the abbreviation for their degree is different.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I agree. The MD/DO divide needs to stop. Have to respect each other and focus on ensuring patients can be treated by physicians instead of letting the MBAs and admin cut costs with NPs.

I would never judge a colleague differently just because the abbreviation for their degree is different.
Yea I was asked about me being a DO exactly once in all my traditional MD program interviews, I truly believe that the vast majority of people do not care....

Have all osteopaths take USMLE ;)
>50% would not be licensed if that was the case and ~40% of current students wouldn't pass it (20-60% depending on school)

• Haha
Geez kids, stop bickering like it's 2012. Enough with the MD vs. DO flame wars, and let's get this thread back on track to the subject of the only for-profit MD School in the country that has accreditation issues in ALL12 LCME areas.

I'm on my phone now, so I can't look up what the subjects are, so can somebody kindly look them up? I'll bet one of them is diversity.

I will also wager that these are serious deficits, and not simple paperwork omissions like SLU or Baylor had a couple of years ago.

• Haha
Geez kids, stop bickering like it's 2012. Enough with the MD vs. DO flame wars, and let's get this thread back on track to the subject of the only for-profit MD School in the country that has accreditation issues in ALL12 LCME areas.

I'm on my phone now, so I can't look up what the subjects are, so can somebody kindly look them up? I'll bet one of them is diversity.

I will also wager that these are serious deficits, and not simple paperwork omissions like SLU or Baylor had a couple of years ago.
lol... so many DO schools would get shut down in an instant if they had to meet LCME standards. Is diversity even a thing under COCA? I've seen some osteopath school pictures and it's like 95% caucasian with a sprinkle of asian. Easy to bash on MD schools since our standards are higher

Is it actually for profit though?

Looks like Cal North State admins have been editing Wikipedia pages

Have all osteopaths take USMLE ;)
>50% would not be licensed if that was the case and ~40% of current students wouldn't pass it (20-60% depending on school)
Your soo wrong on this... the VAST majority of people who can pass comlex can pass USMLE(not do well) but pass.... The material is quite literally the same. The DO's who don't take it because if they didn't do well on comelx they likely wouldn't do well on usmle and those that was primary care(FM, peds etc) dont need to take 2 exams tbh.. but the 40% not passing is a ridiculous number, I have taken both exams they aren't all that different TBH..

Your soo wrong on this... the VAST majority of people who can pass comlex can pass USMLE(not do well) but pass.... The material is quite literally the same. The DO's who don't take it because if they didn't do well on comelx they likely wouldn't do well on usmle and those that was primary care(FM, peds etc) dont need to take 2 exams tbh.. but the 40% not passing is a ridiculous number, I have taken both exams they aren't all that different TBH..
You mean like upike w/their 6x% COMLEX passrate as early as 2014?

• Dislike
A very good one. The bias is real though. Just scan those programs websites you'll see them match FMGs from Lebanon, Saudi, and other countries but never touch an osteopath. They may interview them as a courtesy and to give them a little ego boost but never rank to match (RTM)
But which school is that exactly?

Standard 1: Mission, Planning, Organization, and Integrity
Standard 2: Leadership and Administration
Standard 3: Academic and Learning Environments
Standard 4: Faculty Preparation, Productivity, Participation, and Policies
Standard 5: Educational Resources and Infrastructure
Standard 6: Competencies, Curricular Objectives, and Curricular Design
Standard 7: Curricular Content
Standard 8: Curricular Management, Evaluation, and Enhancement
Standard 9: Teaching, Supervision, Assessment, and Student and Patient Safety
Standard 10: Medical Student Selection, Assignment, and Progress
Standard 11: Medical Student Academic Support, Career Advising, and Educational Records
Standard 12: Medical Student Health Services, Personal Counseling, and Financial Aid Services

Standard 3.3 Diversity/Pipeline Programs and Partnerships

A medical school has effective policies and practices in place, and engages in ongoing, systematic, and focused recruitment and retention activities, to achieve mission-appropriate diversityoutcomes among its students, faculty, senior administrative staff, and other relevant members of its academic community. These activities include the use of programs and/or partnerships aimed at achieving diversity among qualified applicants for medical school admission and the evaluation of program and partnership outcomes.

Reference: https://lcme.org/wp-content/uploads...22-23_Functions-and-Structure_2021-10-28.docx

Very valid question, could be a troll for all we know lol

"
A match list tells me nothing, especially when all of these residencies could be at very weak programs. How about telling me the retention rate of people in your school? I've heard people say that nearly 1/4th of your class fails to finish their education.
Though admittedly the 3 ENT positions is impressive, but again I'm not being told whether these are PGY-2 or preliminary spots. Point being is that unlike every other DO school in the nation, KYCOM is without a doubt the one that tries it's best to not desiminate information about it's self, then again with a rumored 60% COMLEX-1 Step pass rate, that's probably for the best."

You all need to pass the USMLE. The AAMC data shows <497 MCAT indicates a significant risk of failing USMLE. COMLEX is an easier exam and the pass rates aren't any better considering so many are in the 490s. Just look at the KHS-COM or whatever new school is popping up. They're interviewing/accepting people with 490s.

• Inappropriate
  • Dislike

"
A match list tells me nothing, especially when all of these residencies could be at very weak programs. How about telling me the retention rate of people in your school? I've heard people say that nearly 1/4th of your class fails to finish their education.
Though admittedly the 3 ENT positions is impressive, but again I'm not being told whether these are PGY-2 or preliminary spots. Point being is that unlike every other DO school in the nation, KYCOM is without a doubt the one that tries it's best to not desiminate information about it's self, then again with a rumored 60% COMLEX-1 Step pass rate, that's probably for the best."

You all need to pass the USMLE. The AAMC data shows <497 MCAT indicates a significant risk of failing USMLE. COMLEX is an easier exam and the pass rates aren't any better considering so many are in the 490s. Just look at the KHS-COM or whatever new school is popping up. They're interviewing/accepting people with 490s.
The fact that you said that an ENT spot could be a prelim is everything I need to know about your lack of knowledge about any of this.. just stop dude...

Many of you are not passing USMLE. I have internal data from several schools that show even when the top 1/2 or 2/3 of the class attempt USMLE, approximately 70% pass with an average ~215. If the pass rate was any better (85%>) the schools would advertise it as a selling point. The fact that even the cream of the crop at these schools cannot show basic competency is terrifying. My osteopath friends tell me all it takes to score average on COMLEX is memorizing something called the "Green book". Something about visceromatics, charlie chapmain, and cranium points

• Inappropriate
  • Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
They're interviewing/accepting people with 490s.
"Applicants meeting the minimum initial review criteria may be invited to complete the KHSCKansasCOM Secondary Application. The minimum criteria for receipt of a Secondary Application:
500 MCAT score.
 3.00 science GPA.
 3.00 cumulative GPA."

The pass rates are essentially identical for Step 1:

This has nothing to do with the original topic.

The pass rates are essentially identical for Step 1:

This has nothing to do with the original topic.
Why bother?

Is there any way to verify that such issues are occurring in ALL 12 areas?

Many of you are not passing USMLE. I have internal data from several schools that show even when the top 1/2 or 2/3 of the class attempt USMLE, approximately 70% pass with an average ~215. If the pass rate was any better (85%>) the schools would advertise it as a selling point. The fact that even the cream of the crop at these schools cannot show basic competency is terrifying. My osteopath friends tell me all it takes to score average on COMLEX is memorizing something called the "Green book". Something about visceromatics, charlie chapmain, and cranium points
Troll let's no feed him/her

Is it actually for profit though?

Looks like Cal North State admins have been editing Wikipedia pages
It started as a for-profit, but switched its status a few years ago to secure $900 million in bonds to build a new hospital.

So let's review. Their pharmacy school is in trouble, their medical school has been unable to achieve full accreditation, but they want to spend almost a billion dollars on a hospital in spite of substantial opposition from the surrounding community.

I feel sorry for anyone trapped inside this clown show.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
It seems a bit strange that LCME would have even granted preliminary accreditation, given the high likelihood of difficulties with rotations (I don’t think kaiser or sutter health have a vested interest in the school’s success). Most medical schools that have recently opened (KPSOM, TCU etc.) have been opened at least in part by an existing hospital system. These hospital systems aren’t going to let the schools fail because it reflects poorly on the entire system.

• Okay...
It seems a bit strange that LCME would have even granted preliminary accreditation, given the high likelihood of difficulties with rotations (I don’t think kaiser or sutter health have a vested interest in the school’s success). Most medical schools that have recently opened (KPSOM, TCU etc.) have been opened at least in part by an existing hospital system. These hospital systems aren’t going to let the schools fail because it reflects poorly on the entire system.
Well, LCME doesn't have much of a backbone.

To add to the wise Med-Ed's indictments above, Cnu has also ripped off their BS / MD students, who are now suing them.

Reactions: 3 users
This thread has veered far off the topic of CNU accreditation and some participants have been warned for continuing to derail the post and argue.
Relevant comments can continue

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Is there a chance that this could happen to other provisionally or preliminary accredited schools

Kaiser
NYULI
Hackensack
TCU
Carle
UT Rio Grande
UHouston

Is there a chance that this could happen to other provisionally or preliminary accredited schools

Kaiser
NYULI
Hackensack
TCU
Carle
UT Rio Grande
UHouston
Very unlikely.
As I've said previously, 4cn you to be deficient in all 12 areas of lcme accreditation, they had to actually work at it.

I've been involved in accreditation for my own School in the areas of research and I think self-governance.

This had a lot to do with documenting what COCA wanted to see. As such, I had to do a lot of writing in terms of what we were doing in terms of research, and what we were doing in terms of self-governance. Again then checked what I did and proofed it. It's not a perfect process, and even well-established medical schools like Baylor Rosie Franklin and SLU sometimes had deficits. They weren't lethal deficits, it's just a matter of making sure that you document what you're supposed to and satisfy the accreditors.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
A good reason to scratch this one off my future list, despite my wife's disagreement.