California Northstate College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sigh. Well aren't we the popular ones, LOL.

WASC has granted CNU initial accreditation and we will be hearing from ACPE by the end of the month. We received a short email from our dean.

What does this mean in terms of federal loans? When will federal loans be available to the students?

I will give up my seat tomorrow. Good luck for people on wait-list.

Why not right away? Thanks for letting us know!

To all the SDN lurkers out there: please post on this forum if you got off the wait list. I feel that there hasn't been any movement in the wait list recently.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Great post Ehm1!

So are IPPEs done during the whole summer too? I took a look at the 12-13 calendar and p2's start IPPEs May 5th all the way to August 19th.. and then school begins the next day!

No summer vacation from p2 and onward?

Hi Twentytwelve2,
You will either have your IPPE during the Summer or Fall, and then the next IPPE either during the Winter or Spring. You get to choose your preference of what you would like (Summer vs Fall) and the system assigns each student randomly (while still trying to take in everyones preferences). Of course not everyone gets what they want, because typically students want to do their IPPEs during their time off and not while we are in school (more time to study, less stress lol!). But others can't do the summer/winter because they have vacation plans or weddings to go to, etc.

As for the length of time, it depends on the preceptor you get. Some preceptors are really cool in terms of letting you get your hours done fast, others are not in the pharmacy daily so it will take longer to get your hours done since you'd have to go only once or twice a week, etc. So it depends :) You just have to make sure you have your hours completed and approved by the deadline (August 19th). I completed my hours a few weeks ago so I'm officially on vacation now :cool: lol

they recieved my 1500 and 5000 check two weeks ago..they havent take it to the bank yet..does anyone know how long it takes for them to do that?
also for the private loan...where do we pick up our check? do they mail it?or we have to pick it up from the finance office?

Not sure about the money you deposited, but for the private loan we usually pick it up from the finance office on or after the first day of class. If any of that changes , they will let you know.

What does this mean in terms of federal loans? When will federal loans be available to the students?

Hi pig rx,
We are all waiting for that information right now! I know WASC accreditation alone would make us eligible for federal loans. This past semester a few of my classmates and I were discussing it and a student said that the earliest may be by spring 2013 semester. But this is just word from a fellow student and nothing official yet. I am sure we'd definitely be able to get federal loans by Fall 2013 though. Of course we'll fill you all in on any details about that when it comes.

Enjoy your summer everybody!

@ Pigrx

Why not right away? Thanks for letting us know!

i tried to call them multiple time but no body answered. so i sent an email. that is why i said tomorrow.

anyway thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I was pulled off the wait list and received my acceptance letter today and a phone call on June 21st. I will be accepting this since I LOVE being in Cali. For those who are curious, I wasn't on the HIGH wait list so I'm assuming they have gone through all the high wait list people. Or maybe I was on the list but never got an email for it >.> Either way, for those who are still on wait list, keep crossing your fingers! There are still 2 months left before school starts! Good luck to you all and see you guys at orientation

Hi ya'll!

I gave up my seat today, so just for those of you on the waitlist, good luck!

One of my friends just gave up his seat today, goodluck to everyone waiting! :)

for those who are attending this fall, do you guys know of any apartment that is cheap/safe for single living? I was just browsing around and I found Chesapeake Commons to be very cheap and close to campus, any recommendations?

Hey guys, I was pulled off the wait list and received my acceptance letter today and a phone call on June 21st. I will be accepting this since I LOVE being in Cali. For those who are curious, I wasn't on the HIGH wait list so I'm assuming they have gone through all the high wait list people. Or maybe I was on the list but never got an email for it >.> Either way, for those who are still on wait list, keep crossing your fingers! There are still 2 months left before school starts! Good luck to you all and see you guys at orientation

Congrats on your acceptance! Yay! There's hope for us regular wait listers!

Hi ya'll!

I gave up my seat today, so just for those of you on the waitlist, good luck!

Did you get accepted somewhere else?

One of my friends just gave up his seat today, goodluck to everyone waiting! :)

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know!

i'm on the regular waitlist tooo i'm getting anxious from waiting!! if you dont mind me asking, what was your GPA?

Thanks

Does anyone have any updates about accreditation? The school said that the end of June there should be an answer.... I hope the lack of news is not bad news :/

Does anyone have any updates about accreditation? The school said that the end of June there should be an answer.... I hope the lack of news is not bad news :/
at the interview they said it would take up to the end of august to find out plus people starting in fall for this term won't get financial aid because of the accreditation taking so long so they need to take loans for this year.

at the interview they said it would take up to the end of august to find out plus people starting in fall for this term won't get financial aid because of the accreditation taking so long so they need to take loans for this year.
Ehm1 said end of June and prettycat heard the same thing so it should be really soon! I hope Ehm1 will bring us the news first since it seems like they are not updating their website at all (no sign of WASC accreditation in their news section).

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you guys need to worry. I don't think there's been a school that graduated their first class who didn't get accredited. The schools with accreditation issues are running into trouble when they are trying to start their 1st class or during the 1st year.

pharmcas website reported this year's GPA as 3.21 which is a decrease from last years 3.29.i confirmed wasc accreditation by contacting school:)...ACPE will make decision by the end of the month so hopefully elhm1 can bring us the news:)

when i contacted wasc they said it will take a month for the result to be available to the public maybe thats why

Hi Greenmagic,

I was just wondering how long of a time were you given to respond to your acceptance to CNU? I wanted to know if it was getting to the point where you're only given 1 week to respond as oppose to 2 weeks like before.

Can someone tell me when school starts? When is registration, orientation, etc.? I haven't received the 4 extra pdfs yet but I just want to know in advance so I can prepare for departure. I think it's extremely stupid that they don't have a current school schedule on the website and instead of sending us this year's catalog, they sent us last years??

registration 6-15th,
c-2016 orientation 15-17th
class begin 20th

Thanks! Do you need to be there on the 6th for registration or do you do this online?

You're welcome and about registration, I am not too sure. They will create our school email addresses during orientation so we might be registering then too. There should be 2-3 more packets prior to orientation that might have information on this.

The registration date may be for p2-p4 students only?

doe anyone know if it's true the school doesn't provide students with notes?

it would be nice to know. i am sure most students would like to be given summary slides rather than a whole chapter to read when they need to study/ review class materials.

it would be nice to know. i am sure most students would like to be given summary slides rather than a whole chapter to read when they need to study/ review class materials.

Last edited:
Sorry but all the money you guys are dishing on that program is not for slides and summaries. They give you a couple of chapters to read and you're supposed to figure out what to know for the test. There's a P4 from this school doing his rotations w/ us who was wishing they gave him slides like the ones we get LECTURED on. That's the thing, this concept that you're all going to sit around the table in groups of six and teach each other something might work as a 3 credit case study course, which is what most programs are adopting, but to teach each other pharmacy? Ya maybe at Harvard, not at a program where you have an average GPA of 3.2; all that tells you is you have a bunch of lazy students who don't put in the work on time. And from the sound of it, they feed you some b.s. that you're supposed to learn most of the stuff once you're on your rotations; I only have one year under my belt and I can recall more medications and their S.E.'s than this P4.
one of my friends gave up her seat on friday she was on the regular waitlist i believe...and ya its kind of weird how we have to read books to learn pharmacy and theres absolutely no lectures or notes. Being in a group works but not for all 4 years every single day...

has anyone else been chosen from the waitlist yet? I'm still on it...

has anyone else been chosen from the waitlist yet? I'm still on it...

Nope; I'm still on the SpEsHuL regular waitlist. At this point, I don't think I'm ever getting off of it. Oh well...

Just got offered acceptance off the waitlist! Too bad another school I was on the waitlist for accepted me last week. And I'm going to that school for obvious reasons lol. So I'm gonna give up my seat and best of luck to whoever still wants to get into CNUCOP.

got pulled off the waitlist this morning... but i honestly dont know how i feel about attending after everything that has happened...

Congrats? lol

Pigrx, I think you or SweetANDsimple are next in line. :) The date of tomasis's post makes me think it was my seat. The timing is just too perfect ( the day after my notice). Probably the last seat they are trying to fill now given that tuition is due very soon and most schools are finished filling their seats from w/l so there wont be anymore movements between schools.

@definit02: I am sorry to hear that these people have affected your image of the school. But a history on Confet shows that he hated the school since pre-candid status. I am sure they will get accreditation next year and when that happens, just know that it will be harder to get a seat.

Last edited:
Pigrx, I think you or SweetANDsimple are next in line. :) The date of tomasis's post makes me think it was my seat. The timing is just too perfect ( the day after my notice). Probably the last seat they are trying to fill now given that tuition is due very soon and most schools are finished filling their seats from w/l so there wont be anymore movements between schools.

@definit02: I am sorry to hear that these people have affected your image of the school. But a history on Confet shows that he hated the school since pre-candid status. I am sure they will get accreditation next year and when that happens, just know that it will be harder to get a seat.

its not only what the people say, im starting to doubt the effectiveness of TBL. if hiring pharmacists wont hire graduates from here because they are "low quality," that is only one of the issues. but what would happen if the school fails to get accredited next year?
not to mention the fact that you would be basically teaching yourself pharmacy, rather than being taught. I like lectures, and the idea of having my nose in the books to get what I THINK instructors want me to learn is not very encouraging either.

Oh, and the lawsuits? come on now, how discouraging is that?

then theres the loan issue. from what ive seen, the sallie mae and even ed south don't seem like bad alternatives to fed loans, so then why is everyone making a big deal out of it. I was really hoping Touro would accept me, but they sent me an email saying i will most likely not be offered a seat. And CNCP wants the seat deposit in 3 days? Wow, talk about pressure. to be honest, i had given up on being pulled from the waitlist. now i dont know how to feel about everything that has been going on with this school.

Whoa. Cool yo tits there for a sec.

its not only what the people say, im starting to doubt the effectiveness of TBL. if hiring pharmacists wont hire graduates from here because they are "low quality," that is only one of the issues. but what would happen if the school fails to get accredited next year?
not to mention the fact that you would be basically teaching yourself pharmacy, rather than being taught. I like lectures, and the idea of having my nose in the books to get what I THINK instructors want me to learn is not very encouraging either.

You have TBL all wrong. Most people on here are pointing out the failures of TBL at CNUCOP. Not all TBLs are created equal. Why would more and more schools design curriculums based on TBL then? And it's not only something only used in Pharmacy schools either. This form of learning is also being spread to a lot of other medical fields.

Whoa. Cool yo tits there for a sec.

You have TBL all wrong. Most people on here are pointing out the failures of TBL at CNUCOP. Not all TBLs are created equal. Why would more and more schools design curriculums based on TBL then? And it's not only something only used in Pharmacy schools either. This form of learning is also being spread to a lot of other medical fields.

TBL's are just fine...I think the doubt is centered on the fact that the entire curriculum is TBL based.

I like TBL, its being used more and more now. But I think its a bad idea to base the entire curriculum on it. Maybe 10-20% is good.

Before, fed loans have lower interest rate and are subsidized. I think the major advantage of fed loans now is the flexibility of paying it back or have it waived entirely. I can't say that for private loans.

Oh, and the lawsuits? come on now, how discouraging is that?

then theres the loan issue. from what ive seen, the sallie mae and even ed south don't seem like bad alternatives to fed loans, so then why is everyone making a big deal out of it. I was really hoping Touro would accept me, but they sent me an email saying i will most likely not be offered a seat. And CNCP wants the seat deposit in 3 days? Wow, talk about pressure. to be honest, i had given up on being pulled from the waitlist. now i dont know how to feel about everything that has been going on with this school.

Sent from my PC36100

got pulled off the waitlist this morning... but i honestly dont know how i feel about attending after everything that has happened...

Sorry for the bad news. It's gonna be a hard decision :(

Sent from my PC36100

"cool yo tits"??
Wowww, I'm ghetto and I use a lot of slang both verbally and online, but even I wouldn't say something like that. TBL for every single course for 4 years with people like that? Man, I hated ppl who hated on CNCP but now it's starting to get clear lol. Maybe if it gained accreditation I'd feel differently, but because it didn't I kinda feel like maybe it has to do with the effectiveness of TBL. I mean, that's what pharmacy managers are saying right? But then again, it does depend on the student. Not only that, I don't even know what my immunizations look like haha.

"cool yo tits"??
Wowww, I'm ghetto and I use a lot of slang both verbally and online, but even I wouldn't say something like that. TBL for every single course for 4 years with people like that? Man, I hated ppl who hated on CNCP but now it's starting to get clear lol. Maybe if it gained accreditation I'd feel differently, but because it didn't I kinda feel like maybe it has to do with the effectiveness of TBL. I mean, that's what pharmacy managers are saying right? But then again, it does depend on the student. Not only that, I don't even know what my immunizations look like haha.
Every school has its share of problems, ie at UoP one class had to be curved to keep the class from failing because the class average was a 50%. I dont even think CNCP ever had to do that. And dont get me started on "ex-preceptors" commenting that CNCP students are bad. Preceptors themselves can be awful, afterall, we are only human. When a student dresses professionally and is marked down to a 3 out of 5 for professional appearance, would u be offended? I forgot what rotation it was at but it goes to show u that there ARE preceptors u should avoid and the only way u know is by networking with pharm students who have been at sites that they wished they didnt pick. In the previous example, the student spoke to the manager and he fixed the score....

Last edited:
"cool yo tits"??

troll-troll-face-l.png

so i just got an email saying i'm accepted off the waitlist but now i don't know what to do with all this drama with the school and everyone saying its a bad school! i'm still waiting for another school that i'm waitlisted for...what should i do!!!!!????!!!!!

so i just got an email saying i'm accepted off the waitlist but now i don't know what to do with all this drama with the school and everyone saying its a bad school! i'm still waiting for another school that i'm waitlisted for...what should i do!!!!!????!!!!!

I chose to start re-applying after I heard all the bad news about CNCP, and then I was called of the waitlist for another school. In my opinion, its better to wait than to go to a questionable school

ya i wanted to do that to and reapply to more schools but i'm afraid if i don't get in anywhere than i gave up my seat. i wish the other school im waitlisted for accepted me...things would be so much easier

I chose to start re-applying after I heard all the bad news about CNCP, and then I was called of the waitlist for another school. In my opinion, its better to wait than to go to a questionable school

ya i wanted to do that to and reapply to more schools but i'm afraid if i don't get in anywhere than i gave up my seat. i wish the other school im waitlisted for accepted me...things would be so much easier

I totally know that feeling, I was in your shoes not two weeks ago! But there is always room for improvement. Call the schools that didn't accept you and ask what your weakness was. Re-applying is less horrible when you know what you need to improve on :)

I totally know that feeling, I was in your shoes not two weeks ago! But there is always room for improvement. Call the schools that didn't accept you and ask what your weakness was. Re-applying is less horrible when you know what you need to improve on :)
ya i'm slowly moving towards the decision of reapplying...i just wish the other school that I really liked accepted me from their waitlist not this school. i'm thinking of calling northstate to see what would happen if they dont get accredited and what their exit plan is. wouldn't it look better if i went to pharmacy school and if they shut down worst case than i can apply to other schools saying i finished a year of pharmacy but it was the school's fault for shutting down?

I got the invite too! Well, I'm LOLNOPEing this one.

OT: I wonder if they'll reach max capacity at all this year with this whole scandalous crap going on?

@ Byebyebeautyful: Congratulations, glad things worked out for you!

@ polo27: Not necessarily. It depends on how the schools view the situation. I will try to be objective as possible. They can view it as you learned 1 year worth of material. Or the school may view the situation negatively because of northstate's reputation. But let's put future school's opinion aside. I do not believe northstate will close, but if the worse case scenario happens, then you will have wasted 1 year regardless. Your 1 year of pharmacy school is nontransferable to the future pharmacy school. Most, if not all, pharmacy school claims that their curriculum is "unique," and so they cannot accept "transfer courses" from other schools. Also northstate is not accredited yet, so all the more reason why the courses will not transfer over. So you will have to start fresh wherever you go, and wind up paying an extra year's worth of tuition. Think $41,000 (+1 year's cost of living) in addition to the full tuition/cost of the future pharmacy school. That is a lot of money to spend or loans to take out! It is up to you if you want to try.

@youRCC: Hmm interesting question. I do not think they will reach max capacity on waitlist because many students are not aware of this. Not everyone reads student-doctor forum. Many still want to go to pharmacy school, at any cost. Anyway though, if you are set on northstate after all this, I wish you good luck, hope you get in. :xf:

Last edited:
the problem is that my gpa is not exactly a 3.5 to go for the hard schools which is why i didn't bother applying to them last year...so i'm afraid if i give my seat up than what are the chances i'll be accepted next year? the other school i'm waitlisted for is full and they are moving really slow so i doubt i would get a call from them. I thought i wouldn't get in this year and planned on repeating classes at community college to raise my gpa and to volunteer at the hospital and take the pcat. i'm seriously annoyed and i'm still not sure what to do...

@ polo27: Not necessarily. It depends on how the schools view the situation. I will try to be objective as possible. They can view it as you learned 1 year worth of material. Or the school may view the situation negatively because of northstate's reputation. But let's put future school's opinion aside. I do not believe northstate will close, but if the worse case scenario happens, then you will have wasted 1 year regardless. Your 1 year of pharmacy school is nontransferable to the future pharmacy school. Most, if not all, pharmacy school claims that their curriculum is "unique," and so they cannot accept "transfer courses" from other schools. Also northstate is not accredited yet, so all the more reason why the courses will not transfer over. So you will have to start fresh wherever you go, and wind up paying an extra year's worth of tuition. Think $41,000 (+1 year's cost of living) in addition to the full tuition/cost of the future pharmacy school. That is a lot of money to spend or loans to take out! It is up to you if you want to try.

Last edited:
the problem is that my gpa is not exactly a 3.5 to go for the hard schools which is why i didn't bother applying to them last year...so i'm afraid if i give my seat up than what are the chances i'll be accepted next year? the other school i'm waitlisted for is full and they are moving really slow so i doubt i would get a call from them. I thought i wouldn't get in this year and planned on repeating classes at community college to raise my gpa and to volunteer at the hospital and take the pcat. i'm seriously annoyed and i'm still not sure what to do...

Remember that gpa is not everything! The whole package matters more than the number itself. Extracurriculars, experience, "college name", essay, etc. I know many people who got accepted to pharmacy schools, especially out-of-state, with a 3.0 gpa or sometimes even lower. It is good that you are open-minded to going out-of-state because out-of-state schools in general tend to have less applicants against each other. This may have something to do with the pcat being a requirement and/or people just don't want to leave california. In the grand scheme of things, there are roughly over 130 pharmacy schools across the nation (most already accredited), so as long as you try your best, spread your seeds far and wide, you will get in somewhere. Plus, you may find that the programs out there are better suited for your future goals. Just do a bit of research. I am only one person, and only one person's opinion, but hope my 2 cents makes you feel better. I wish you good luck with your decisions!

I agree with hondacivic. I do remember seeing that in some schools (out of state) the applicant pool is much smaller than any California school. Aside from that, a lot of students do re-apply. I have met many people who tell me they got in to pharmacy school or any professional school on their 2nd or even 3rd try!

Whatever path you decide, just make sure it makes you happy, because this is the beginning of your career!