BCPS Spring 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dumditi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking to form a study group .. please message if interested. Need to start ASAP!
TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I thought BCCCP was extremely easy comparatively to BCPS. It was meat and potatoes. Why are you taking that exam if you work nightshift and you don't work critical care? This is not my slamming, as this board gets very defensive of, but more so me simply pointing out that if you don't practice in that area then perhaps you should not be taking that exam?

I used ACCP study material and I believe that the review material was much much more comprehensive then the exam itself.
So you don’t think staff pharmacist should be taking it?

I personally dont (I do crit care and ID), because it's going to throw you into the deep end without the experience you need. If you're doing it to learn, that's fine. If you're doing it for a different position - you need the training and experience that comes with that PGY-2 or 4 years of practice experience. The same reason why I told another staff pharmacist where I am not to do ACLS certification without shadowing and training with me 1000 times. they did anyway - and they can't screw together an abboject.

Also how did you qualify? Do you spend 50% of your time in the ICU? If that's the case, go for it man.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I do not, nor does ACCP.

there is a reason that the exam requires experience prior to taking it.

Also, it honestly is a very meat and potatoes exam and anyone work CC can take it with a 2-3 weeks review. You have gained much knowledge i'm sure preparing for the exam and that is honeslty the most important part about all of these exams but it's unfortunate you feel bad about failing, but you shouldn't because you got what you should of got out of it.

also, you taking it dilute the significance of the certification and defeats the whole purpose of it. if you make an innappopropriate recommendation and some doc sees those letters behind your name, now that doc thinks they are bull credentials.....now take that scenario and multiply it by 1000's across the nation.

As someone who doesn't have a residency or practice in critical care (nightshift staff), what suggestions does anyone have on passing the BCCCP? I studied using High Yield Med reviews and although it made me more comfortable with the material than using ACCP the last time I took the exam, I did worse this time around. What combinations of resources and study strategies seem to work best for BCCCP? My test seemed so random and harder than the last time I took it in the fall.
I'm sorry to hear that you didn't pass. I'm still waiting for my BCPS... if you don't mind can you share what your scores were for both exams? I don't know how to pm... I actually commend you for attempting this exam even though you don't work in those areas because I'm sure that with those extra credentials it'll give you leverage to eventually move to a better job/shift. so don't give up!

I do not, nor does ACCP.

there is a reason that the exam requires experience prior to taking it.

Also, it honestly is a very meat and potatoes exam and anyone work CC can take it with a 2-3 weeks review. You have gained much knowledge i'm sure preparing for the exam and that is honeslty the most important part about all of these exams but it's unfortunate you feel bad about failing, but you shouldn't because you got what you should of got out of it.

also, you taking it dilute the significance of the certification and defeats the whole purpose of it. if you make an innappopropriate recommendation and some doc sees those letters behind your name, now that doc thinks they are bull credentials.....now take that scenario and multiply it by 1000's across the nation.
I never took the exam

As someone who doesn't have a residency or practice in critical care (nightshift staff), what suggestions does anyone have on passing the BCCCP? I studied using High Yield Med reviews and although it made me more comfortable with the material than using ACCP the last time I took the exam, I did worse this time around. What combinations of resources and study strategies seem to work best for BCCCP? My test seemed so random and harder than the last time I took it in the fall.
Just curious... what do your nightshift responsibilities look like? Most of our nightshift pharmacists are responsible for the emergency department, acute care and critical care floors and they constantly get questions from providers. They are very much involved with clinical and non-clinical aspects of the pharmacy. Do you have BCPS already?

I thought BCCCP was extremely easy comparatively to BCPS. It was meat and potatoes. Why are you taking that exam if you work nightshift and you don't work critical care? This is not my slamming, as this board gets very defensive of, but more so me simply pointing out that if you don't practice in that area then perhaps you should not be taking that exam?

I used ACCP study material and I believe that the review material was much much more comprehensive then the exam itself.
To be frank, I'm taking it for an overdue raise, learning, and to prove to myself that I can do it. Also, I'd like the cert to help if/when I would eventually plan to leave nightshift in the future because I can't expect to be able to stick to this shift for the rest of my career due to work-life balance and health reasons. I have worked inpatient decentralized at a large AMC and in the Emergency Department as well since I started ~9 years ago so the knowledge gained wouldn't be useless if I wanted to go back into a similar role/clinical one in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ya. can't follow but i hope everyone learns and enjoys the process.

i hope everyone get credentials that are qualified to get credentials

Will second, I actually thought BCCCP was a very fair exam. Only used ACCP and by only I mean barely. The ACCP practice questions were by far harder than the questions seen on the actual exam. I also took the ASHP practice exam day before (and failed it lol) but passed the one that counts.

For BCPS - does your app still say “Level set to exam approved”?
When I go into "Certification App" it still lists "Level set to exam approved" and above last updated show the date I was approved for the exam. Wouldn't expect much to change until they start rolling out the scores. I'm sure this thread will let you know very quickly when that starts to happen. :)

PharmD, BCPS, BCCCP, BCCP, BCEMPS, BCACPS, BCIDPS......will still be answering the phone asking if you check the refrigerator and patient med bin......

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
No I didn’t, my status changed from “eligible” to “passed” with a score report.
sorry, last question... what date did you take the exam? just trying to figure what the rolling out is based on... I took it the last day so if so I assume I won't get my results until tomorrow???