BCOM vs CUSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any school with any kind of religious affiliation is going to have some kind of "totalitarian" policies, that is one of reasons its best to go to a school affiliated with a state university.

Again, just because it's BCOM at NMSU doesn't mean that it'll actually be shown to have no better a relationship with its parent school than say VCOM & VTech.

I would say it would be a good school because of that as well. As I said, schools associated with larger public universities tend to be more legitimate.

VCOM is loosely affiliated with Vtech. I think it's a case of VCOM students being able to loosely pull some resources from Vtech or administration having a few moderate connections. It's hardly comparable to a true connection like say MSU & MSUCOM.

I would also not really consider VCOM that great of a school either. It's a solid midtier school, but it's expansionist and quazi-for profit.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Again, just because it's BCOM at NMSU doesn't mean that it'll actually be shown to have no better a relationship with its parent school than say VCOM & VTech.

It remains to be seen, but I think its better than say a school like RVU whose founder was associated with a Caribbean medical school. There is lot of money being spent on the school.

It remains to be seen, but I think its better than say a school like RVU whose founder was associated with a Caribbean medical school. There is lot of money being spent on the school.

They're both For Profit. RVU however has graduated a class or two and has an exceptional pass rate. I'd attend RVU over BCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
They're both For Profit. RVU however has graduated a class or two and has an exceptional pass rate. I'd attend RVU over BCOM.

I am thinking more long term, BCOM just started. The fact that RVU is associated with the Tien family leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I am thinking more long term, BCOM just started. The fact that RVU is associated with the Tien family leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Well to be fair the argument isn't whether BCOM is going to be a great longterm program, it is whether or not you would attend as the first class... And personally as great and promising as BCOM is making themselves seem (which is what a brand spanking new school would want to do) I would have a hard time attending a school as the first class. I would constantly be second guessing my decision anytime something arose that I didn't like. I don't care how soundproof your plan is things are not always going to work out how you envisioned them and I would guess it's going to take BCOM a class or 2 to fully work out their system and curriculum.

Personally I would pick the school that at least has its first class board scores (CUSOM) granted they are good... At the end of the day go where you feel most comfortable, and the place that feels like the best fit, because it's your decision/life and you want to be somewhere that you'll be happy and a place that you feel confident about.

Reactions: 1 users
Well to be fair the argument isn't whether BCOM is going to be a great longterm program, it is whether or not you would attend as the first class... And personally as great and promising as BCOM is making themselves seem (which is what a brand spanking new school would want to do) I would have a hard time attending a school as the first class. I would constantly be second guessing my decision anytime something arose that I didn't like. I don't care how soundproof your plan is things are not always going to work out how you envisioned them and I would guess it's going to take BCOM a class or 2 to fully work out their system and curriculum.

Personally I would pick the school that at least has its first class board scores (CUSOM) granted they are good... At the end of the day go where you feel most comfortable, and the place that feels like the best fit, because it's your decision/life and you want to be somewhere that you'll be happy and a place that you feel confident about.

CUSOM reminds of LUCOM which is strongly religious affiliated, that is enough for me to not recommend such a school, I think religion is something that needs to be separated from government, business, and educational entities. We live in a society where people have different religious beliefs and we got people who do not hold any beliefs whatsoever, I believe in a neutral environment, its impossible to accomplish this when you have any such affiliations at a university.

Would a student who is not a Christian be safe from discrimination and hostility at CUSOM and LUCOM? What about gay and lesbian students?

CUSOM reminds of LUCOM which is strongly religious affiliated, that is enough for me to not recommend such a school, I think religion is something that needs to be separated from government, business, and educational entities. We live in a society where people have different religious beliefs and we got people who do not hold any beliefs whatsoever, I believe in a neutral environment, its impossible to accomplish this when you have any such affiliations at a university.

Would a student who is not a Christian be safe from discrimination and hostility at CUSOM and LUCOM? What about gay and lesbian students?

CUSOM, even though it looks religious affiliated based on the mission statement, has really no ties to it. There really isn't any religious about it when I went to the interview.

I talked to the MS-1 and MS-2 students there and none of them were even Christian. Nobody cares.

The reason why it has Christian in the mission statement because of the parent school, Campbell University, which does have religious ties. The medical school is completely different.

CUSOM, even though it looks religious affiliated based on the mission statement, has really no ties to it. There really isn't any religious about it when I went to the interview.

I talked to the MS-1 and MS-2 students there and none of them were even Christian. Nobody cares.

The reason why it has Christian in the mission statement because of the parent school, Campbell University, which does have religious ties. The medical school is completely different.

My feeling is if I was a student with a choice of BCOM or CUSOM, I would pick BCOM.

My feeling is if I was a student with a choice of BCOM or CUSOM, I would pick BCOM.

Okay, that's your choice. I would go with the school that is more established and has a cheaper tuition that allows federal loans. I.E. CUSOM.

I also qualify for their $20k per year merit scholarship, which would make tuition only $23k a year. It would be way better option than BCOM.

I actually interviewed at CUSOM and have an upcoming interviewing at BCOM (may cancel it tho) and I can honestly say religion is not forced at all at CUSOM. The only hint of religion at the school is a small chapel room on the third floor that can be used by anybody for any religious purposes. Our interview group actually spoke with the ms1's and ms2's about it and they said it is not a religious environment at all. They have students of all religions and backgrounds... 2 of the 4 students we spoke with told us they were openly atheists and have no issues with it. I am an atheist and I went to a Christian high school that heavily pushed religion so I know what a religious environment looks like and I can honestly say CUSOM mentions the Christian thing in their mission but it's only there if you want it, and is no way forced upon you.

CUSOM just seems to want to provide the best learning experience for their students that they possibly can. You could really tell they cared about their students. The staff and faculty were very nice and honest with what they were all about and I appreciated their hospitality, honesty and goals they had for their school and their students.

One of the faculty even told us on interview day that they are all about their students success and if you want to be a family med doc or a neurosurgeon CUSOM will do everything they can to make that happen. (Granted if you want to be a neurosurgeon your going to have to do your part academically )

Last edited:
I actually interviewed at CUSOM and have an upcoming interviewing at BCOM (may cancel it tho) and I can honestly say religion is not forced at all at CUSOM. The only hint of religion at the school is a small chapel room on the third floor that can be used by anybody for any religious purposes. Our interview group actually spoke with the ms1's and ms2's about it and they said it is not a religious environment at all. They have students of all religions and backgrounds... 2 of the 4 students we spoke with told us they were openly atheists and have no issues with it. I am an atheist and I went to a Christian high school that heavily pushed religion so I know what a religious environment looks like and I can honestly say CUSOM mentions the Christian thing in their mission but it's only there if you want it, and is no way forced upon you.

CUSOM just seems to want to provide the best learning experience for their students that they possibly can. You could really tell they cared about their students. The staff and faculty were very nice and honest with what they were all about and I appreciated their hospitality, honesty and goals they had for their school and their students.

One of the faculty even told us on interview day that they are all about their students success and if you want to be a family med doc or a neurosurgeon CUSOM will do everything they can to make that happen. (Granted if you want to be a neurosurgeon your going to have to do your part academically )

I prefer schools that are either public or secular private institutions ( no religious affiliation whatsoever ).

I prefer schools that are either public or secular private institutions ( no religious affiliation whatsoever ).

Alright and that is your right. I am just trying to clear the air and any misconceptions people may have about CUSOM and the atmosphere there. So that people aren't misinformed and running around thinking CUSOM is a bunch of Jesus preaching bible huggers cause they're not.

At the end of the day, both schools (BCOM and CUSOM) will do the job... Aside from the top DO schools (if such thing exist), the bottom 20 or so DO schools are somewhat on the same level...

TCOM, MSUCOM, CCOM, KCOM, KCU-COM, PCOM, Nova, DMU, OU-HCOM, WesternU, Touro-CA, NYITCOM. OSU-COM, UNECOM... These schools are comparable to mid tier MD schools... The rest of the DO schools will make you a physician--that's it.

Members don't see this ad :)
At the end of the day, both schools (BCOM and CUSOM) will do the job... Aside from the top DO schools (if such thing exist), the bottom 20 or so DO schools are somewhat on the same level...

TCOM, MSUCOM, CCOM, KCOM, KCU-COM, PCOM, Nova, DMU, OU-HCOM, WesternU, Touro-CA, NYITCOM. OSU-COM, UNECOM... These schools are comparable to mid tier MD schools... The rest of the DO schools will make you a physician--that's it.

All the DO schools will make you a physician and that is it, some will make that road smoother than others. As far as those schools being equal to mid tier MD, not quite at all. Even matching from a lower tier MD school one has more of a chance of specializing than from a better DO school. Its a fact of life.

Just to clear up the whole cadaver/ no cadaver issue. They will have both virtual and real cadavers, as well as the HF-mannequins. However, the virtual labs will be used more heavily. But if you would think about it for a second, your going to be looking at the human body through imaging during ur time as a doc, MRI, x-ray, CT, not a dissected cadaver. ALSO I think it's worth mentioning that Stanford and other MD schools use the virtual cadavers as well...you don't see people ranting on there about that being a bad thing. I think the whole cadaver "issue" is is just another topic for people looking for another reason why BCOM is different and therefore a "bad school".

All the DO schools will make you a physician and that is it, some will make that road smoother than others. As far as those schools being equal to mid tier MD, not quite at all. Even matching from a lower tier MD school one has more of a chance of specializing than from a better DO school. Its a fact of life.
I don't know... I might have to look at the match of Howard, Meharry, Morehouse, Commonwealth, Hofstra, Quinnipiac and the 4 MD schools in PR etc...

I don't know... I might have to look at the match of Howard, Meharry, Morehouse, Commonwealth, Hofstra, Quinnipiac and the 4 MD schools in PR etc...

A good one to compare is Thomas Jefferson or Drexel vs PCOM. Or one of the new South Florida MD Schools vs Nova. Rosalind Franklin or Loyola vs CCOM.

Texas Tech vs TCOM is another one. Oh and of course MSU MD vs MSU DO.

I would not consider any of the DO schools you listed equal to a mid tier MD school.

Last edited:
The best DO schools are essentially low tier MD schools. Comparing a school like KCU to Commonwealth of PA isn't too far off in my opinion.

The best DO schools are essentially low tier MD schools. Comparing a school like KCU to Commonwealth of PA isn't too far off in my opinion.

That is more accurate, W19 was insinuating that his list of DO schools were comparable to middle tier MD Schools, which I strongly disagree. I listed some DO schools and some lower tier MD schools near each other in various geographic regions of the country.

A few of the schools he listed I would not consider upper tier DO schools.

A good one to compare is Thomas Jefferson or Drexel vs PCOM. Or one of the new South Florida MD Schools vs Nova. Rosalind Franklin or Loyola vs CCOM.

Texas Tech vs TCOM is another one. Oh and of course MSU MD vs MSU DO.

I would not consider any of the DO schools you listed equal to a mid tier MD school.
I know the schools I listed are lower tier schools... That was in response to your post above saying 'students from the lower tier MD schools have a better chance to specialize than the ones from high tier DO schools'... That is definitely not the case... As far as mid tier MD, I agree with you that they have better chance than the best DO...

That is more accurate, W19 was insinuating that his list of DO schools were comparable to middle tier MD Schools, which I strongly disagree. I listed some DO schools and some lower tier MD schools near each other in various geographic regions of the country.

A few of the schools he listed I would not consider upper tier DO schools.
What are the ones you would not consider upper tier?

Many of the schools he listed I would not consider upper tier DO schools, a good number of them would be middle tier.

Right, high tier DO schools will never be equivalent to mid tier MD schools simply by virtue of the reality that they don't possess the research and strong teaching hospitals that MD schools possess. But for what top DO schools have they accomplished enormously in producing competent physicians. Lower tier DO schools however, they really are lacking.

Reactions: 2 users
Right, high tier DO schools will never be equivalent to mid tier MD schools simply by virtue of the reality that they don't possess the research and strong teaching hospitals that MD schools possess. But for what top DO schools have they accomplished enormously in producing competent physicians. Lower tier DO schools however, they really are lacking.

Virtually every school can teach its students the basic sciences reasonably well and have most of its students pass the first part of the COMLEX, the issue with so many schools is the clinical years can be a hit or miss at so many places. I recall when my school expanded, there were rumors going on that the clinical department was going to send students to Michigan and Indiana, but luckily the school got its act together and that never occurred, all our core rotations are primarily in Arizona in the Phoenix metro, with some opting to rotate in California since my school gets a good number of CA students.

The transition from the pre-clinical to the clinical years can be very bumpy at some schools, and can create quite a disconnect in the experience of many students.

Bcom and NMSU are two completely different organizations. They are in close proximity and bcom pays NMSU so its students can use the gym, library, get housing, etc but thats it. Its affiliation with NMSU (a very good university in its own right) wont help bcom at all when it comes to building credibility or prestige. Also let's not forget the hypocrite dean who is running bcom after his years-long tirade against for-profit medical education (a very mysterious change of heart in no way influenced by money, power, or ambition ofc) . Also I read a great post by Dr. Goro saying clinical rotation spots can vanish even though agreements are in place so the first class could be royally screwed. Also its important to look at past data vis-à-vis MCAT and board scores; the partners/investors/stakeholders wont be happy when poor performance on COMLEX and high attrition bring COCA to bcom.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. BCOM is looking like the place to be. A lot of the negative points made here against BCOM were based on incorrect information. The for profit status/tax structure means absolutely nothing. I have a background in these matters. Certain areas can not make hospitals or schools without making themselves for profit. There is a need in several states in the US for schools and this is a way to get that done. There is no other way to get funding in time to get a hospital or school running in certain areas besides going for profit.
The tax structure has no practical effects on the school, beyond the fact that the individuals running the school will pay even more attention to the school's success (because their money is on the line) and that the school will have access to far deeper pockets for any improvements needed. You guys maybe aren't familiar with the way nonprofits work. They also have profits, or dividends, that they simply keep. These profits are "saved", used to expand programs, or pay administration. The difference in this situation would be that the dividends will be pocketed by the people running the school. Although I feel the tax structure is irrelevant, I see that this came up many times so I thought I should address it.

The deciding factors: Dean's emphasis on specialties, their proactive residency arrangements (will be ACGME approved), faculty, the fantastic area, and affiliation with NMSU, regional situation, is too much to pass up at this point. The trajectory of the program is easy to see based on their faculty, clinical partnerships, and residency/GME efforts.

Thanks for all the input. BCOM is looking like the place to be. A lot of the negative points made here against BCOM were based on incorrect information. The for profit status/tax structure means absolutely nothing. I have a background in these matters. Certain areas can not make hospitals or schools without making themselves for profit. There is a need in several states in the US for schools and this is a way to get that done. There is no other way to get funding in time to get a hospital or school running in certain areas besides going for profit.
The tax structure has no practical effects on the school, beyond the fact that the individuals running the school will pay even more attention to the school's success (because their money is on the line) and that the school will have access to far deeper pockets for any improvements needed. You guys maybe aren't familiar with the way nonprofits work. They also have profits, or dividends, that they simply keep. These profits are "saved", used to expand programs, or pay administration. The difference in this situation would be that the dividends will be pocketed by the people running the school. Although I feel the tax structure is irrelevant, I see that this came up many times so I thought I should address it.

The deciding factors: Dean's emphasis on specialties, their proactive residency arrangements (will be ACGME approved), faculty, the fantastic area, and affiliation with NMSU, regional situation, is too much to pass up at this point. The trajectory of the program is easy to see based on their faculty, clinical partnerships, and residency/GME efforts.

See you next August!

Regardless of which school is better, does everyone agree that one should absolutely attend either school if it were their only acceptance this cycle?

Regardless of which school is better, does everyone agree that one should absolutely attend either school if it were their only acceptance this cycle?
Yes. If faced with the choice of going to medical school or not I would pick going to school.

Any school with any kind of religious affiliation is going to have some kind of "totalitarian" policies, that is one of reasons its best to go to a school affiliated with a state university.

I took a glance in the bcom thread and as of right now it looks like they will be mandating class attendance and a dress code (like Campbell). But unlike Campbell, students will not be eligible for federal loans for two years.

I took a glance in the bcom thread and as of right now it looks like they will be mandating class attendance and a dress code (like Campbell). But unlike Campbell, students will not be eligible for federal loans for two years.
They're also bickering about bcom vs. podiatry :rofl:

When I questioned the dean about the dress code he said to just dress nice and be reasonable with how you dress. Like no short shorts and what not. But that is just one factor which I personally do not see as a crucial factor in choosing a medical school.

Most new schools cannot get Federal loans, also the dress issue thanks for clarifying that.

Most new schools cannot get Federal loans, also the dress issue thanks for clarifying that.

Not just most, all. Every new school has to wait 2 years before they're eligible for federal loans.

Not just most, all. Every new school has to wait 2 years before they're eligible for federal loans.

This is how I understand it. If you have a new medical school attached to an already existing university that school is automatically eligible for federal loans year 1. MU-COM I believe is an example of this. If the medical school is a stand alone school, then they have to wait till they graduate one class before being being eligible. RVU is an example of this.

I have never heard of a case where they would have to wait 2 years before being eligible, until BCOM. Would be interesting to know if there are examples of this and why so.

This is how I understand it. If you have a new medical school attached to an already existing university that school is automatically eligible for federal loans year 1. MU-COM I believe is an example of this. If the medical school is a stand alone school, then they have to wait till they graduate one class before being being eligible. RVU is an example of this.

I have never heard of a case where they would have to wait 2 years before being eligible, until BCOM. Would be interesting to know if there are examples of this and why so.

My understanding is that a 2 year wait for federal loans is standard. The school has to wait until they graduate their first class to get full accreditation, but that's not the same as when they become eligible for federal loans. I know LUCOM will be able to offer federal loans next year.

My understanding is that a 2 year wait for federal loans is standard. The school has to wait until they graduate their first class to get full accreditation, but that's not the same as when they become eligible for federal loans. I know LUCOM will be able to offer federal loans next year.

When RVU got its accreditation, is the time when they were eligible federal loans. I looked at the RVU threads and in 2013 they were eligible (the year after they graduated their first class).

RVU thread 2013 (post #15)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...y-rvucom-discussion-thread-2013-2014.1002420/

MU-COM I thought had them since year 1 (I am probably mistaken). It might have been regional loans. If some one would like to confirm?

Do you have a link?

It really wasn't that exciting. Someone asked how BCOM would compare to podiatry schools, which confused everyone because, as one user said, "they're apples and coconuts." The original poster then clarified that they wanted to know how the attrition and graduation rates at a podiatry school compare with the attrition and graduation rates at new medical schools, like BCOM, and was given some sources with the data he asked for. The final answer was that even new medical schools have vastly lower attrition rates than podiatry schools and are therefore more "secure" than podiatry schools.

Academically, cusom should be the answer. More established, has had students take boards, has upperclassmen , etc. , albeit it's only been a few years.

Obviously there are other reasons to picking a school and in that case bcom may be the right choice. Otherwise, academically you can't really argue that bcom is the better choice

It really wasn't that exciting. Someone asked how BCOM would compare to podiatry schools, which confused everyone because, as one user said, "they're apples and coconuts." The original poster then clarified that they wanted to know how the attrition and graduation rates at a podiatry school compare with the attrition and graduation rates at new medical schools, like BCOM, and was given some sources with the data he asked for. The final answer was that even new medical schools have vastly lower attrition rates than podiatry schools and are therefore more "secure" than podiatry schools.

Its an unfair comparison, BCOM just started, I think the same things were said about AZCOM nearly 20 years ago when it first started, now AZCOM is a solid mid tier DO school and is actually going to become an upper tier Biomedical graduate school which teaches several other disciplines. They are spending millions of dollars on the campus in Glendale, it is state of the art. There is a large amount of investment being poured into BCOM, I think in a decade BCOM will also be a good mid tier DO school.

Its an unfair comparison, BCOM just started, I think the same things were said about AZCOM nearly 20 years ago when it first started, now AZCOM is a solid mid tier DO school and is actually going to become an upper tier Biomedical graduate school which teaches several other disciplines. They are spending millions of dollars on the campus in Glendale, it is state of the art. There is a large amount of investment being poured into BCOM, I think in a decade BCOM will also be a good mid tier DO school.

Perhaps, but that's why we're comparing everything as it is now in its current state. If I were accepted into both of these schools, I would choose the one that already has the framework laid out and tested.

Perhaps, but that's why we're comparing everything as it is now in its current state. If I were accepted into both of these schools, I would choose the one that already has the framework laid out and tested.
+1
Right now we are comparing a school that is up and running with a tested curriculum vs a school that does not even have a building complete to show interviewees (some on the BCOM thread don't even think it will be completed on time for classes next summer).

When RVU got its accreditation, is the time when they were eligible federal loans. I looked at the RVU threads and in 2013 they were eligible (the year after they graduated their first class).

RVU thread 2013 (post #15)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...y-rvucom-discussion-thread-2013-2014.1002420/

MU-COM I thought had them since year 1 (I am probably mistaken). It might have been regional loans. If some one would like to confirm?
Not sure about MU-COM, but I know CUSOM had fed loans year one. I think it's the whole stand alone vs tied to a university thing that someone mentioned.

BCOM excites me because you get to be apart of the first class. I know that not all people like that, and yes it does have a disadvantage in terms of hiccups in curriculum and taking out private loans. But BCOM has great resources to draw from, both new and the established from NMSU. Also BCOM has A LOT of political support so in terms of being a successful student there I am not to concern cause I think it will turn out fine. Also I think they have some GME in place. http://bcomnm.org/academics/clinical-partners-and-gme/#GME
How did the first class do on the boards at CUSOM? Anyways I am not trying to sell you to BCOM. Look at both critically. In the end everyone is learning the same thing.
Boards stats for cusom: 7 people over 700, 23% above 600, 61% above 500, 94.1% passage rate, 100% passage rate on USMLE.

Last edited:
Not sure about MU-COM, but I know CUSOM had fed loans year one. I think it's the whole stand alone vs tied to a university thing that someone mentioned.

Yeah, I recall someone mentioning MU-COM had federal loans since the beginning (since it is tied to an established private undergrad). The only reason mentioned why BCOM is taking 2 years to be eligible is because they are for-profit. I have never seen a case like BCOM before.

Yeah, I recall someone mentioning MU-COM had federal loans since the beginning (since it is tied to an established private undergrad). The only reason mentioned why BCOM is taking 2 years to be eligible is because they are for-profit. I have never seen a case like BCOM before.

RVU was the same, it had only private loans the first few years it was open, now they have government loans for their students.

RVU was the same, it had only private loans the first few years it was open, now they have government loans for their students.

They actually only had government loans in 2013 which was 4 years after their first opening.

Last edited:
They actually only had government loans in 2013 which was 4 years after their first opening.

BCOM is named after Dan Burrell, a very wealthy businessman in New Mexico, I was trying to look up his net worth, but the guy is very rich, anyway, the thing that makes me not recommend schools like CUSOM and LUCOM are their ties to religion, people say CUSOM is not religious but I read their mission statement and religious references are in the mission statement. I believe universities should be secular institutions and should be places where religion is a neutral issue, we live in a time where people have many different faiths and beliefs, and also many people who do not hold on to any particular beliefs so I believe such institutions have more credibility in my eyes when they have no such affiliation.

This is not saying I am against religion, because I am not, I just believe that religion should remain separate from certain entities, and in particular educational and business entities, and certainly the government as well.