BCOM or KYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which one?

• BCOM

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • KYCOM

Votes: 28 66.7%

• Total voters

DYiddo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little help please ...

I've been accepted at both schools, but I'm required to make a decision within 2 days. I don't know which to choose yet, so I need your help.

I enjoyed my visit to both schools. And both have their ups and downs. One has huge potential, but is unproven. And the other is established, yet seemingly (on SDN) is just O.K.

Other points:

- Tuition: BCOM $47,000 > KYCOM $43,000
- Cost of Living is about the same
- BCOM - private loans for 2 years (so likely ups the cost more)
- KYCOM Advantage: (iPad, books, etc included)
- Pros of inaugural BCOM class
- Hiccups of inaugural class
- BCOM location better (imo), but far away
- KYCOM allegedly has concerns with board pass rates, rotations, and thus matches
- BCOM (on paper) has numerous and better rotations/residencies set up

(And FWIW, I'm from north-eastern USA. Although plans can change, I hope return there in the end.)

Thanks! I appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a tough decision, but you seem to know most of the facts. I think it's a decision you're going to have to make on your own; In other words, there is no clear "right" choice to make here. (That's my opinion)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a tough decision, but you seem to know most of the facts. I think it's a decision you're going to have to make on your own; In other words, there is no clear "right" choice to make here. (That's my opinion)

And congrats on your acceptances!!! :)

Ditto! This is a decision that I don't think people can help you with outside of giving you their personal preference.

Lots of good food in the Las cruces area.... Just saying

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

If BCOM had federal loans, I would tell you BCOM in a heart beat.

If BCOM had federal loans, I would tell you BCOM in a heart beat.

True that. If anyone is interested, the state of New
Mexico is offering full COA loans at pretty much fed loan rate 6% range and word is they are willing to defer through residency for BCOM

Note it's still dependent on credit score for the interest rate but a lot of us have gotten approved in that range

Reactions: 2 users
True that. If anyone is interested, the state of New
Mexico is offering full COA loans at pretty much fed loan rate 6% range and word is they are willing to defer through residency for BCOM

Note it's still dependent on credit score for the interest rate but a lot of us have gotten approved in that range

I heard this and even has clauses where if the borrower passes away the cosigner is not responsible. It is really good for a private loan. The only issue I have is if a student drops out within the 2 year period and has to pay back the loan. There are several repayment plans for federal loans in case one cannot make the normal payments (IBR, PAYE, REPAYE etc.). In most cases, private loans don't have such repayment plans (However, I don't want to be quick to judge unless you know something more about them).

Yeah that part is scary unless there's something else I don't know about yet as well. At that point, it's working two jobs and tons of overtime lol. One job salary goes 100% at the debt in that case!

Las Cruces is not a place you want to live.

Source: Native New Mexican and my father grew up there.

It depends, a few people in the class lived there and don't seem to mind it. A few coworkers of mine want to move back and they grew up there. They gave me some cool info about the area but said it can get boring after a while. Boring is good with me... I need to study not party. Like 1.5 hrs away is snow skiing I think. Cool scenery. El Paso has concerts and goo goo dolls will be there June. Kanye was there too I think. Lots of other stuff to do. That and school

It depends, a few people in the class lived there and don't seem to mind it. A few coworkers of mine want to move back and they grew up there. They gave me some cool info about the area but said it can get boring after a while. Boring is good with me... I need to study not party. Like 1.5 hrs away is snow skiing I think. Cool scenery. El Paso has concerts and goo goo dolls will be there June. Kanye was there too I think. Lots of other stuff to do. That and school

It is just studying for two years. You have a much more likelihood to stay around for residency. This means you'll likely be there for at least 7 years.

Most DO students end up in residencies around the area of the school they graduated from. BCOM has a strong mission statement to serve in the surrounding areas. You might end up living there and settling down. Choose wisely. If you feel like you can live there for long term, absolutely go for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
A little help please ...

I've been accepted at both schools, but I'm required to make a decision within 2 days. I don't know which to choose yet, so I need your help.

I enjoyed my visit to both schools. And both have their ups and downs. One has huge potential, but is unproven. And the other is established, yet seemingly (on SDN) is just O.K.

Other points:

- Tuition: BCOM $47,000 > KYCOM $43,000
- Cost of Living is about the same
- BCOM - private loans for 2 years (so likely ups the cost more)
- KYCOM Advantage: (iPad, books, etc included)
- Pros of inaugural BCOM class
- Hiccups of inaugural class
- BCOM location better (imo), but far away
- KYCOM allegedly has concerns with board pass rates, rotations, and thus matches
- BCOM (on paper) has numerous and better rotations/residencies set up

(And FWIW, I'm from north-eastern USA. Although plans can change, I hope return there in the end.)

Thanks! I appreciate the help.

OP, your concerns about KYCOM's board passing rates may also happen with BCOM. Both have about equal stats of matriculants when it comes to GPA and MCAT. I would say go wherever you feel fits you more. I personally would lean towards KYCOM for the cheaper tuition and federal loans.

The board passing rate is really entirely up to you. If you work hard and study hard, you're going to pass.

Reactions: 2 users

El Paso is really neat, a ton of culture and music. I nearly decided to matriculate there, as a matter of fact. But the reality is that nobody makes that drive as often as they claim to. Ruidoso? Skiing? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Good one. The real skiing is in the northern part of the state.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If there is an equivalent private loan available I would go with BCOM. They seem to have
more research opportunities through NMSU, and their policy institute.

Go with whatever feels right! I loved Las Cruces, beautiful campus, city and area.

El Paso is really neat, a ton of culture and music. I nearly decided to matriculate there, as a matter of fact. But the reality is that nobody makes that drive as often as they claim to. Ruidoso? Skiing? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Good one. The real skiing is in the northern part of the state.

Haha I don't Know what it's like to ski there so I couldn't tell you lol. I have family that will be driving daily to El Paso for work so it's YMMV for sure. I just meant it's a cool place is all and we'll have things to try out. I think there's an elephant festival soon too lol! What's the area around KYCOM like? Good luck OP, hope you choose what's best for you!

Not true. Clean air, no traffic, good food close to a huge city. Recreation meca: mountain biking, hiking, skiing 2 hrs away, whatever you please.

If you have ever lived in a large city in the actual downtown area, worked a stressful job 50 hrs a week, had a 40 minute commute one way for a 6 mile drive....... Had to breathe polluted air everyday, had no recreational opportunities

You have no idea how much moving to las cruces has changed my life. Within 2 weeks I was not stressed. I could drive to school in 10 minutes. I woke up to the view of 8,000 foot mountains. I was breathing fresh clean air. I ate the best Mexican food in America.

Las cruces is actually rated in the top 10 best places to retire in America. IMO I'd rather live around retired people than younger ignorant suckers who are screwing up this country. In addition to the old people you also have 22k undergraduate students at NMSU and the festivities that go along with that life. Plenty of bars, girls, the best of both worlds

MED school is hard enough, living in las cruces only makes it more manageable.

Thanks

Hey @DYiddo, just wondering which decision you made and how your experience at the school was? Not sure if you use SDN anymore, but I am currently in the same boat and would love to know which one you chose! Thanks so much!