Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ms. a said:
I hope that answers the question. Let me know if you're now more confused.
Clear as mud. :confused:

I remember reading about that LACE thing. It is short for longitudinal ambulatory care experience. This is something that seems to be a popular curriculum innovation at several schools and is supposed to expose the student to primary care. The idea is that it is long-term and you follow your patient over several months (or at some schools, even a few years). If you want to do the Geriatrics Track at Baylor, you can customize your LACE toward older people. They didn't tell us a whole lot about it or give us much info, though. I didn't realize it was a new thing.

Members don't see this ad.

In the process of finishing my Capstone course right now for undergrad. Supposed to be a culminating project that involves all the information we're supposed to have learned in school. Like the "capstone" of a building when the last brick gets layed down at the end of construction. I have no idea how that would pertain to medical school though?!?

On another note, I was wondering if anyone could let me know approximately how the interview day goes at Baylor. I'm trying to book my flights and would like to know what times would work. I've read some interview feedback, but it hasn't been all that helpful in this regard. Thanks for any help.

QofQuimica said:
Clear as mud. :confused:

I remember reading about that LACE thing. It is short for longitudinal ambulatory care experience. This is something that seems to be a popular curriculum innovation at several schools and is supposed to expose the student to primary care. The idea is that it is long-term and you follow your patient over several months (or at some schools, even a few years). If you want to do the Geriatrics Track at Baylor, you can customize your LACE toward older people. They didn't tell us a whole lot about it or give us much info, though. I didn't realize it was a new thing.

LACE is not that new at Baylor. Neither is CABS. None of us have a real good idea of what it is, because we just haven't done it yet, and frankly, it's one of those things that's just going to happen anyway, so we don't have too much motivation to find out what it's about before it happens.

I'm sorry if I confused you more the everything above. Basically, you still get lots of time off. However, you can't necessarily use that time to frolick in Europe for 9 months, since there are still things going on at Baylor that you more or less have to be here for. Plus, you still need to study for Step I. The Capstone course that was added brought the time-off time from 10 months to 9 months. There's yabberings of having some other one month requirement for newer classes (maybe another month of required electives, maybe some classroom thing, I have no idea, and I'll bet no one else does either). But nothing's set in stone, not even for the class of 2009 (sorry MadameLULU).

Members don't see this ad :)
ms. a said:
I'm sorry if I confused you more the everything above.
I'd be ok if only there weren't so many d*** acronyms....It's worse than attending a cell bio seminar. :smuggrin:

Starvin Marvin, the interview day is late (12 noon until about 7 PM). If you're coming from the East Coast, you can book an early flight the day of your interview (that's what I did). But you probably should plan on leaving the morning after unless you can get a really late flight (like after 9 PM). Everyone touts going to Two Rows, but I don't think it would be a big deal to miss it. It's basically just a chance for you to hang out with some first and second year students at a bar after the interview day is over. It's nice to meet people, but I wouldn't bother staying an extra day for it if you want to leave that night to save hotel money. G'luck w/ your interview.

Well guys, the wait is finally over from me! While I was in microbiology class at 3:00 PM CST, Dr. Major Bradshaw delivered the magical words I have been waiting for: "You have been accepted to Baylor College of Medicine." I interviewed on October 7th. I'm going to be a doctor! :) :) :) It is an unbelievable feeling, I must say!

hobbesiscool said:
Well guys, the wait is finally over from me! While I was in microbiology class at 3:00 PM CST, Dr. Major Bradshaw delivered the magical words I have been waiting for: "You have been accepted to Baylor College of Medicine." I interviewed on October 7th. I'm going to be a doctor! :) :) :) It is an unbelievable feeling, I must say!

Congratulations!!!

Is Baylor your first choice?

hobbesiscool said:
Congrats! :clap:

Thanks for the info ms. a!!!

QofQuimica said:
I'd be ok if only there weren't so many d*** acronyms....It's worse than attending a cell bio seminar. :smuggrin:

Welcome to Baylor, hon. Get used to it-- GIMNER, CRR, CC, IPS, PPS, PRN, & more :D

ms. a said:
Here's what we are required to fulfill (starting January of second year):
12 weeks of medicine
12 weeks of surgery
8 weeks of OB/GYN
8 weeks of Pysch
8 weeks of Peds
4 weeks of Neuro
4 weeks of Family medicine
4 weeks of some medicine subspecialties
5 months of elective (this includes a newly required sub-internship in one of 4 fields - medicine, surgery, family medicine, and one other - I don't remember)

Then, there are classes that are held during our rotations that we sort of have to be around for. Starting in January of second year, we have something called CABS (no idea what that stands for). Basically, we come to Baylor every Thursday afternoon for a class. There's two exams involved in it, and it's over sometime in May/June. Attendance is not required, but it helps (sort of like PPS). Then, all of 3rd year, there is LACE (Longitudinal something Care something - basically, you follow a patient or patients for a long time). For that, your grade is based solely on how many sessions you attend.

Forth year they are currently restructuring. Currently, they have MMD (basically advanced IPS - the case study course thing). Many people have said that they don't learn a thing, but the administration apparently thinks it's important. So they're trying to redo it. My take is that it will be another once a week afternoon thing with small groups. Then there's the Capstone crap. No one really knows what it is. When we asked the administration at our info session on Tuesday, they said they couldn't tell us what it really was going to be because they aren't really sure themselves. Helpful, huh? The plan is to have it be some "bring it all together" sort of thing that happens during one month sometime in the spring of our 4th year. How one attempts to bring all of medicine together in one month is beyond me, but that's what we're told.

I hope that answers the question. Let me know if you're now more confused.

The main change to the curriculum is the addition of the capstone course and the requirement of a sub-I, which really isn't that big of a deal because almost half of Baylor students do one before they graduate anyways.

You can also check out the BCM requirements here

Of the 40 credits of electives that are required, I *think* that they still allow you to attain 8 of those credits by taking pre-clinical electives in your first year and a half -- this equates to 1 month less of clinical rotations.

You can do sub-I's in medicine, surgery, pediatrics, OB.

CABS stands for Clinical Applications of Biomedical Sciences. It consists of lecture modules in pathology, radiology, nutrition, and evidence based medicine. It basically is a way to cram in all the topics they didn't really cover in basic sciences. It is (mostly) a waste of time. The one benefit is that if you are on a crappy rotation, it is a good reason to get out early on a Thursday afternoon.

LACE is Longitudinal Ambulatory Care Experience. Six months of it is spent going around to community sites like adoption centers, CPS, APS, rehab clinics, women's shelters, etc. to give students an idea of what community resources are available, especially for special needs populations. The other six months are spent with a primary care preceptor. Depending on the practice, you may or may not follow the same patients over those six months. I never saw the same patient twice. Anyways, this is very popular among the students, especially the community months. You get out early and you see cool stuff.

MMD is Mechanisms and Management of Disease. It is a waste of time, especially because fall of 4th year is pretty stressful trying to fit in your final electives or cores, do applications, and starting to head off to interviews. It is basically like problem based learning with lectures. It covers important stuff, but I don't think its run in a way that is actually useful.

Right now there is a also an optional 2-week course at the end of 4th year (it might be 4 weeks) called ICE. I can't remember what it stands for. Basically you get to learn ACLS and theoretically learn skills that will be helpful to starting internship, ie, how to teach medical students, etc. I've heard the only useful thing about the course is actually the ACLS, which you will also take once again the weekend prior to starting intern year.

The scuttlebut is that the "capstone course" will be a combo of MMD and ICE which will then be a 1 month required course, lasting from 8am-5pm, 5 days/week, sometime in the spring of 4th year. Glad it doesn't apply to my class!

Anyways, hope this clears things up.

-lilycat
MS4

Hey, thanks for posting that link, Lilycat. There are a ton of cool courses. How do you figure out when you do which rotations? And if you want to go into a specialty that is a Group B selective, does that work out where you still have enough time to do a subinternship and take some electives in that field?

ms. a said:
Congratulations!!!

Is Baylor your first choice?

Baylor without a doubt is my first choice. Thanks for the wishes MadameLULU, mrs. a. ,and QofQuimica. Like I said earlier, I'm so thankful that I have such encouraging and supportive people on SDN helping me out.

Members don't see this ad :)
lilycat said:
Of the 40 credits of electives that are required, I *think* that they still allow you to attain 8 of those credits by taking pre-clinical electives in your first year and a half -- this equates to 1 month less of clinical rotations.

I've been told this still applies. From my experience, pre-clinical electives are fairly easy with litltle time commitment. Most are during lunch (with food provided) and the electives that I'm in require a 1-2 page summary paper at the end.

MadameLULU said:
I've been told this still applies. From my experience, pre-clinical electives are fairly easy with litltle time commitment. Most are during lunch (with food provided) and the electives that I'm in require a 1-2 page summary paper at the end.
Which electives are you taking, MadameLULU? Any thoughts about best/worst electives to take during the first year?

QofQuimica said:
Hey, thanks for posting that link, Lilycat. There are a ton of cool courses. How do you figure out when you do which rotations? And if you want to go into a specialty that is a Group B selective, does that work out where you still have enough time to do a subinternship and take some electives in that field?

This is a little bit of putting the cart before the horse, but I'll try to answer your questions anyways.

You select your first year of clinical rotations the fall of second year, usually around October-November. There are a couple of BCM requirements you have to satisfy in this process: 1) You have to take medicine and surgery rotations before January of MS3; 2) You have to take Family Medicine before the end of MS3, ie, by June of MS3 -- this is Texas state law and Baylor has no control over that. Medicine and Surgery are both really 3-month rotations. For Medicine, you spend one month at Ben Taub, 1 month at the VA, 1 month at St. Luke's. For surgery, you spend 1 month in general surgery at one of three sites: Ben Taub, St. Luke's, or the VA. You spend the next two months basically doing surgical selectives. For one month, you have to do 2 of the following 2-week rotations: EM, plastics, pedi surg, colo-rectal surgery. The third month you choose 2 2-week rotations from the following: ophtho, urology, ENT, ortho. Anyways, by being forced to do medicine and surgery in your first year of clinical rotations, you are guaranteed to have tons of time for your medicine selectives or electives/sub-i's in those fields or related fields that have a medicine or surgery pre-requisite. Basically, you still have 8-9 months before you can turn in your residency applications, at the earliest.

As for the order of rotations, it completely depends on what you want to do, what advice you've gotten, etc. Generally, everyone ends up being happy with their order -- I've honestly never heard anyone complain significantly because it all evens out in the end and you get the time for the electives that you need.

lilycat said:
This is a little bit of putting the cart before the horse, but I'll try to answer your questions anyways.

You select your first year of clinical rotations the fall of second year, usually around October-November. There are a couple of BCM requirements you have to satisfy in this process: 1) You have to take medicine and surgery rotations before January of MS3; 2) You have to take Family Medicine before the end of MS3, ie, by June of MS3 -- this is Texas state law and Baylor has no control over that. Medicine and Surgery are both really 3-month rotations. For Medicine, you spend one month at Ben Taub, 1 month at the VA, 1 month at St. Luke's. For surgery, you spend 1 month in general surgery at one of three sites: Ben Taub, St. Luke's, or the VA. You spend the next two months basically doing surgical selectives. For one month, you have to do 2 of the following 2-week rotations: EM, plastics, pedi surg, colo-rectal surgery. The third month you choose 2 2-week rotations from the following: ophtho, urology, ENT, ortho. Anyways, by being forced to do medicine and surgery in your first year of clinical rotations, you are guaranteed to have tons of time for your medicine selectives or electives/sub-i's in those fields or related fields that have a medicine or surgery pre-requisite. Basically, you still have 8-9 months before you can turn in your residency applications, at the earliest.

As for the order of rotations, it completely depends on what you want to do, what advice you've gotten, etc. Generally, everyone ends up being happy with their order -- I've honestly never heard anyone complain significantly because it all evens out in the end and you get the time for the electives that you need.

Man lilycat, I think your curriculum is setup very well. But, could you or your fellow classmates comment on how much free time you have during the basic science year and a half. When I interviewed all of you guys seemed reallly chill and it was looked like you have alot of free time. Is that true or is everyone just adept at balanceing school and a life? I think I might getting a bit ahead of myself though, as I am still hoping to hear but, I just really love Baylor.

lilycat said:
The third month you choose 2 2-week rotations from the following: ophtho, urology, ENT, ortho.
Thanks again, lilycat. Ok, so these are the Group A selectives. When do you do the Group B ones? After Mar of your third year, I presume, because you need 14 months to do the core clerkships.

As far as order is concerned, it seems like it would be wise to do the surgery and medicine ones (and family practice; any idea why that law is there?) early since you need them for the selectives and electives. There are some really cool ones in there. :)

FastForward said:
Man lilycat, I think your curriculum is setup very well. But, could you or your fellow classmates comment on how much free time you have during the basic science year and a half. When I interviewed all of you guys seemed reallly chill and it was looked like you have alot of free time. Is that true or is everyone just adept at balanceing school and a life? I think I might getting a bit ahead of myself though, as I am still hoping to hear but, I just really love Baylor.

Personally, I felt like we got plenty of time off. Of course, if you're used to getting 1.5 months for Christmas (like at some colleges) and 3 months for summer, it will probably seem like a lot less time.

Basically, you start at the end of July/first of August. During Fall I, you have major exams every 6 weeks or so, and get a few days off after the exams. Spring I, there are a few more exams each block, and you only get maybe one day off (plus the weekend). In April, though, after the 2nd block of the semester, you get almost an entire week off. Then you get the month of July off and then start back up with 2nd year. During second year, there are supposed to be 2 weeks of exams in September, with a weekend off, then 3 weeks of exams in December, with Christmas break off. Our September exams got messed up because of Hurricane Rita evacuations, and were spread throughout October, which is why some of the October interviewees might have seen a slightly more stressed out student representation.

During the blocks, you normally have classes 8-12, then 2 afternoons a week you have afternoon stuff, which can get out anywhere between 2 and 5. That gives lots of time during the day and weekend to get plenty of studying done, but also have time to do other, outside interest stuff.

opacha said:
I got my call at 1.40 this afternoon! Hey hobbes, this is Omar-- you know from the Rec? I hope to see you there tonight, and I hope you get your call real soon.
-Omar
:thumbup:

Thanks for your insight Ms. A. I interviewed early in September so, I was at Baylor in the midst of Katrina and saw the medical center busy in a different way. In regards to the breaks I also think I would rather have a few days to recoup after exams rather than one long continuous break, so this would work well for me. Anyway, thanks again and hopefully I will be able to join you guys at BCM next fall :) :luck:

QofQuimica said:
Which electives are you taking, MadameLULU? Any thoughts about best/worst electives to take during the first year?

i really can't say the best/worst electives to take b/c that is really dependent on one's interests and schedule. I prefer electives that are offered at noon time, or early in the afternoon. Most first years end up taking Compassion and the Art of Medicine, which is a noontime course that aims to show us the need to focus on compassion, whether it be through exposing us to patients' views on illness/disease/pain,through physicians who dealt with illness or their personal struggles/burnout, or even through music.

MadameLULU said:
i really can't say the best/worst electives to take b/c that is really dependent on one's interests and schedule. I prefer electives that are offered at noon time, or early in the afternoon. Most first years end up taking Compassion and the Art of Medicine, which is a noontime course that aims to show us the need to focus on compassion, whether it be through exposing us to patients' views on illness/disease/pain,through physicians who dealt with illness or their personal struggles/burnout, or even through music.

That sounds like a neat class. There's something I've been wondering about - when do you learn about the legal aspect of medicine?

FastForward said:

Free time -- I think Ms. a broke it down for you in terms of actual time off.

With respect to free time during basic sciences and clinics, it's definitely there, it just depends on what type of student you are, how hard you want to work, etc. Usually everyone finds a rhythm within the first year that is comfortable for them. Some people have to put a lot of time into studying just to pass or to honor their subjects; some people get along with a lot less time and still do well. If you want to be a grind and spend all your time in the library, you can. Personally, I attended about 60-70% of my classes in basic sciences in person, watched the rest on video, always had time to work out, made time to go out with friends, etc.

Time during clinics -- I actually felt like I had more free time during clinics than in basic sciences. It's probably because during basic sciences you feel like you should always be studying, and you don't really feel like you get anything done when you are sitting in lectures. In clinics, you feel like you are actually learning at work and getting things accomplished so then you don't feel as guilty if you only read for 45-60 minutes at night, or if you take a night off. Some rotations you definitely work harder than others (general surgery, medicine core). However, I ALWAYS found time to work out at least 4x/week, I found time to go grocery shopping, go out to dinner, go see a movie, go to the mall, etc. You also get more efficient with your time as you progress through med school, more adept at recognizing what is high yield to study, etc. Again, the key is "finding" time. If you want to have time for a life, you will. Talking with medical students at other schools, Baylor is extremely cush in terms of demands/time worked during clinical rotations. I still think we learn a lot; we could definitely do more, and I think there are students at other schools that more proficient at procedures like placing IV's, putting in lines, etc., coming out of med school. The trade-off is that Baylor students spend less time in the hospital on-call (there are very few mandatory overnight calls for any rotation), have more protected time to study, and probably end up doing a lot less scut.

QofQuimica said:
Thanks again, lilycat. Ok, so these are the Group A selectives. When do you do the Group B ones? After Mar of your third year, I presume, because you need 14 months to do the core clerkships.

As far as order is concerned, it seems like it would be wise to do the surgery and medicine ones (and family practice; any idea why that law is there?) early since you need them for the selectives and electives. There are some really cool ones in there. :)

OK eager beaver. ;)

You do Group B selectives (hereafter known as your medicine selectives) ANY TIME after you do your medicine core. If you take medicine from Jan-Mar in your MS2 year, you can take a medicine selective in April, and have two weeks off, and then start a 2-month rotation for May-June to finish off your MS2 year. OR, you can take both medicine selectives in April, and then start a 2-month rotation for May-June. OR you can take your selectives in April and then take a month off in May, and take a 1-month rotation in June. OR you can take no time off during that spring, and take back to back rotations. OR you can take your medicine selectives (assuming the example of taking medicine as your first rotation) in May, June, July, August, Septempber, October,... Need I go on?

My point is that there are a HUGE number of ways to arrange your schedule. You will have a one-hour meeting with the dean in your MS2 year to discuss this, as well as a half-day workshop put on by the third year class disucssing the different rotations and considerations to keep in mind when making your schedule. You will also get a huge amount of advice, some good some bad, from upperclassmen. And finally, nothing is ever set in stone, and the registrar is extremely nice about making changes when necessary. It will all work out.

Everyone usually does something different with their medicine selectives -- some people take both together in one month. Some people split them up so they can catch a two-week break in between rotations. A lot of people save them for their fourth year.

You don't have to do your core clerkships all in order. You have to have completed all of your core rotations by December of your fourth year (although you will have had to finish medicine, surgery, and family well before then). Generally it is a good idea to save at least one 2-month rotation for fall of your fourth year -- this frees up some time during the spring of third year/summer of fourth year for electives pertinent to your chosen field, getting letters of rec, etc.

Here is a sample schedule (actually my schedule): Jan-Mar (MS2 year) - Medicine core; April - anesthesia selective; 2 weeks off; May-June - OB/gyn; July-Aug (start of MS3 year) - Pediatrics; Sept-Oct - Gen. surgery @ St. Luke's, plastics (1 week @ Ben Taub, 1 week @ Texas Children's), Emergency Med (EC @ Ben Taub); Nov - 2 weeks ENT @ VA, 2 weeks pedi ophtho @ TCH; Dec - Family; Jan - off for travel; Feb - Medicine sub-I @ Ben Taub; Mar - Pedi Anesthesia; April-Jun - off for USMLE and travel; July (start of MS4) - OB anesthesia; August - pulmonary med/critical care; Sept-Oct - psychiatry; Nov - geriatrics selective, 2 weeks off; Dec - off (travel for interviews); Jan - off; February - Neurology.

Note -- taking neurology last semester of MS4 year is not a normal thing - a few people get exemptions to do this if they can't take it earlier (I was supposed to take in November of MS4 but couldn't because I was missing too many days for interviews).

My best advice for scheduling clinical rotations is to alternate hard and easy rotations so you don't get too burnt out. However, some people love the idea of scheduling medicine and surgery back to back, or that's just the luck of the draw.

Family med law -- not sure the exact reason that it's in place. Rumor is that it was to encourage more people to consider FP for residency.

ClearDay said:
That sounds like a neat class. There's something I've been wondering about - when do you learn about the legal aspect of medicine?

There is an ethics class spring semester of second year that covers some medico-legal issues.

You can also do the ethics track, which again will cover some medicolegal ground.

You also get a few lectures during medicine rotation, one during LACE, and lots of "improptu" lectures from attendings and residents on any given rotation. ;)

Honestly, I don't think we get enough, but I don't think any medical school really excels in this that I'm aware of.

lilycat said:
There is an ethics class spring semester of second year that covers some medico-legal issues.

You can also do the ethics track, which again will cover some medicolegal ground.

You also get a few lectures during medicine rotation, one during LACE, and lots of "improptu" lectures from attendings and residents on any given rotation. ;)

Honestly, I don't think we get enough, but I don't think any medical school really excels in this that I'm aware of.

Lots of schools focus on ethics, but none that I've been to even mention law. I don't want to do an m.d./j.d., but I think it's becoming more important for M.D.'s to know the legal aspect of medicine. Many doc's and residents that I know are not as knowledgeable as they should be, most evidently in terms of their wording on medical records, etc. I'm definitely not an expert and that's why I feel the need to learn about it. I think it should be part of med school curriculum to inform students about federal laws regarding medicine, because I don't think impromptu lectures are enough.

My friend who's a resident said that her program has meetings that are provided by local attorneys to inform residents about fed and state law regarding medicine. I hope this is true for all residency programs.

ClearDay said:
Lots of schools focus on ethics, but none that I've been to even mention law. I don't want to do an m.d./j.d., but I think it's becoming more important for M.D.'s to know the legal aspect of medicine. Many doc's and residents that I know are not as knowledgeable as they should be, most evidently in terms of their wording on medical records, etc. I'm definitely not an expert and that's why I feel the need to learn about it. I think it should be part of med school curriculum to inform students about federal laws regarding medicine, because I don't think impromptu lectures are enough.

My friend who's a resident said that her program has meetings that are provided by local attorneys to inform residents about fed and state law regarding medicine. I hope this is true for all residency programs.

That's why I said the ethics classes and lectures here cover "some" medicolegal issues. The people who did the ethics class when I took it (unfortunately she has since passed away) was a JD and worked in risk management at one of the hospitals in the TMC. So, she definitely touched on some legal issues.

The "impromptu" was definitely more of a tongue-in-cheek comment -- usually its residents and attendings railing about CYA (cover your ...) documentation, etc. The medicine PD's wife is an attorney, and he is actually now leaving his position to get a JD, so he definitely would address issues from time to time in a more thorough and meaningful way, but again, nothing near the level of what I think we should be getting.

Aside from medicolegal, I think it's just as troubling how little med schools do in terms of educating students and residents on the business aspect of medicine. We had one lecture in our LACE class, and one or two lectures in our ethics class on contracts that insurance companies will negotiate, but that was it. Again, this is something that few medical schools, if any, really seem to do well. It's really too bad. A few residency programs seem to try to address this however, with business of medicine rotations for a month.

lilycat said:
That's why I said the ethics classes and lectures here cover "some" medicolegal issues. The people who did the ethics class when I took it (unfortunately she has since passed away) was a JD and worked in risk management at one of the hospitals in the TMC. So, she definitely touched on some legal issues.

The "impromptu" was definitely more of a tongue-in-cheek comment -- usually its residents and attendings railing about CYA (cover your ...) documentation, etc. The medicine PD's wife is an attorney, and he is actually now leaving his position to get a JD, so he definitely would address issues from time to time in a more thorough and meaningful way, but again, nothing near the level of what I think we should be getting.

Aside from medicolegal, I think it's just as troubling how little med schools do in terms of educating students and residents on the business aspect of medicine. We had one lecture in our LACE class, and one or two lectures in our ethics class on contracts that insurance companies will negotiate, but that was it. Again, this is something that few medical schools, if any, really seem to do well. It's really too bad. A few residency programs seem to try to address this however, with business of medicine rotations for a month.

I agree. I just hope that somewhere during my medical education (med school, residency, fellowship), I will have a chance to explore these topics so I know where to look for more info and who ask for advice.

Thanks for your response.

QofQuimica said:
Thanks again, lilycat. One more question: are you going into anesthesiology? What do you think about anesthesiology at Baylor?

At first, I started to PM you my answer this question, but I will now divide my response because I think part of it will be beneficial to everyone reading this thread.

When choosing which medical school to attend, choose based on where you think you will get the best education RIGHT NOW. Whatever you do, DO NOT choose based on what you think the perceived strengths and weaknesses of various clinical departments and the possible implications for your residency.
Why do I say this?

1) What you think you want to go into now will likely change significantly by the time fourth year rolls around. I'm sure someone somewhere has done a study on this, but based on my experience alone, I would be surprised if more than 10-15% of my class is doing the specialty they had in mind when they started school.

2) Academic medical centers are constantly in flux. At the recent chairman's meeting for anesthesiology about two weeks ago, apparently the stat was floated that EVERY YEAR 25% of the anesthesia chairs are new. What you start with may not be the same when you graduate.

3) There are lots of reasons to move elsewhere for residency training, namely that it is important to see new approaches to your field of medicine

4) If you go to a school where you believe you will receive good training and education as a student, where you feel that you will receive the necessary tools to succeed, you should be able to easily transition into the field and area of your choice.

QofQuimica said:
Thanks for all of your input, lily. :thumbup:
Hey I was wondering, did you guys take out loans to pay for apartments in med school? I know it's impossible to work, so I thought about just getting loans, but is it possible to get loans just to pay rent? I have NO idea how to work the financial aspect of going to med school, I don't even own a major credit card :laugh:

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
Hey I was wondering, did you guys take out loans to pay for apartments in med school? I know it's impossible to work, so I thought about just getting loans, but is it possible to get loans just to pay rent? I have NO idea how to work the financial aspect of going to med school, I don't even own a major credit card :laugh:
They include rent money in your living expenses. So assuming that you don't go try to live in a mansion or something, your fin aid package will include that. Take a look at the fin aid webpage for more info: http://www.bcm.edu/osa/osa-financial.html

QofQuimica said:
They include rent money in your living expenses. So assuming that you don't go try to live in a mansion or something, your fin aid package will include that. Take a look at the fin aid webpage for more info: http://www.bcm.edu/osa/osa-financial.html

To those of you who have been accepted:

How long did it take after your phone call (except for you ladyjubilee, who got it in person) to receive your acceptance letter? Another question for you guys is: what is Baylor's policy regarding merit scholarships? Will they offer one with your acceptance letter or do they decide on that later?

hobbesiscool said:
To those of you who have been accepted:

How long did it take after your phone call (except for you ladyjubilee, who got it in person) to receive your acceptance letter? Another question for you guys is: what is Baylor's policy regarding merit scholarships? Will they offer one with your acceptance letter or do they decide on that later?
I don't know how long it takes. I actually called Baylor about 10 days later when the letter still hadn't arrived. Turns out that my parents had it. :rolleyes: So FYI, it's going to go to your permanent addy, not your preferred one. There is a form that you have to sign and return to hold your place in the class. However, there is not any info about scholarships. (Or at least, I didn't get any info. :oops: ) So I'm assuming that those get awarded later, but I don't really know. Maybe one of the current students could tell us.

QofQuimica said:
I don't know how long it takes. I actually called Baylor about 10 days later when the letter still hadn't arrived. Turns out that my parents had it. :rolleyes: So FYI, it's going to go to your permanent addy, not your preferred one. There is a form that you have to sign and return to hold your place in the class. However, there is not any info about scholarships. (Or at least, I didn't get any info. :oops: ) So I'm assuming that those get awarded later, but I don't really know. Maybe one of the current students could tell us.

You find out about financial aid later, several months later as I recall.

QofQuimica said:

i got my letter at my college address about 10-14 days after the call. and yeah financial aid info doesn't come in till spring, usu. april. but you fill in the FAFSA forms in january. scholarships they don't really tell you about, but will contact you if you are awarded a merit-based one. i only really found out that they had scholarships when i visited during second look.

congrats hobbes!

Well, yesterday I was home sick... lying in bed and surfing the internet all day. At some point someone on SDN mentioned they just got a call from another's school admissions office, so I thought, hey.. maybe someone tried to call me today. I called in to listen to my work voice mail (the number I gave all schools) and sure enough, at around 4pm(Seattle time) Dr. Major Bradshaw left me a message stating he had just written my admission, congratulations and have a wonderful Thanksgiving. !!! :D !!!

I had a wonderful time at my interview and am super-excited my this acceptance. So far, Baylor is at the top of my list...

I just read through all the comments on this post. They were very helpful, thanks. I have a couple other questions about life at Baylor and in Houston too. Could current students guess about what percent of your class or how many people in your class were older than 25 when they started med school? Also, did any of you move to Houston from the west coast? How do you like it? Is the culture significantly different? And is TX as super-conservative as it has a reputation for being?

(and a side comment for Q: you should look into NIH loan repayment options. My friend entered med school with a PhD and is interested in staying in academic med, and NIH is paying back most of her loans for her.)

Thanks riverie for the wishes and congrats SeattlePostBach! I knew things would work out for you. Hopefully we'll be classmates next year.

SeattlePostBach said:
And is TX as super-conservative as it has a reputation for being?

Texas is. Absolutely. Houston is as well. The medical center, however, is a small oasis, but its not perfect.

It will be a culture shock. But that should not stop you. Texas needs different people with different ideas.

Edit: This should read: Texas can always use new people with different ideas.

SeattlePostBach said:
Could current students guess about what percent of your class or how many people in your class were older than 25 when they started med school?

I think there may be about 20 or so ppl in the first year class who are 25+

SeattlePostBach said:
(and a side comment for Q: you should look into NIH loan repayment options. My friend entered med school with a PhD and is interested in staying in academic med, and NIH is paying back most of her loans for her.)
Thanks, Seattle. I'll have to see if I can find out more about this.

I just wanted to tell you that IMHO, Houston is not a particularly conservative city. Of course, I am contrasting it with places like Birmingham, AL and Nashville, TN. :p But you should know that it ain't gonna be like CA *anywhere* in the South. :smuggrin: That being said, I have found people to be relatively tolerant, particularly Gen Xers and Gen Yers who have grown up in the post-Jim Crow era. In some ways, the South might even be ahead of certain other parts of the country; for example, it is common to see interracial families here. Even in overall very conservative cities like B'ham and Nashville, the area around the university will tend to not be as conservative, b/c so many of the people working or going to school there are from other places in the US or even other countries. So I would not let your political or social views deter you from considering Baylor, because you will definitely be able to find like-minded people wherever you go.

Hey guys I want to send a Letter of Interest to Baylor, I live like 10 miles from there and want to go there badly.

I wanted to know who is the appropriate person there to send it.
thank you

SeattlePostBach said:
I just read through all the comments on this post. They were very helpful, thanks. I have a couple other questions about life at Baylor and in Houston too. Could current students guess about what percent of your class or how many people in your class were older than 25 when they started med school? Also, did any of you move to Houston from the west coast? How do you like it? Is the culture significantly different? And is TX as super-conservative as it has a reputation for being?

When I started, ave. age of class was 22.9 -- that should give you an idea of how many "older" students are there. As someone who was 25 starting med school (and single), I definitely felt that the general social atmosphere was more geared to those just graduating from college, and of the older people in the class, I didn't necessarily have much in common with them either because they tended to be married, having kids, etc. However, I would not call Baylor unfriendly towards older students -- you just might have to work a little harder to find your niche.

I moved to Houston from the west coast, and from an extremely liberal area on the west coast. I was very pleasantly surprised, and have really enjoyed living in Houston for the following reasons:

1) I don't hate the weather. Yes, it's much more hot and humid than California. However, when the sun goes down, you aren't freezing in the middle of summer the way you are in San Francisco. I love the balmy evenings. And, you have air conditioning. All in all, I've found the weather to be quite tolerable, but I'm probably in the minority.

2) Cost of living -- so, so, so much more reasonable than the west coast. Not only is housing relatively cheap, but so is going out to dinner, going to the theater, going to the opera, going to the ballet, the museums, etc. Stuff like that was technically "available" in SF, but I couldn't afford to take advantage of it.

3) Politics, culture, etc. Personally, I've found Houston to be a very dynamic city, and haven't found it to be overwhelmingly conservative, or oppressively conservative. First of all, it's incredibly diverse ethnically -- a huge African-American population, a huge Nigerian immigrant population, a huge Vietnamese population (2nd largest US concentration after Long Beach), a huge Indian population, and of course, a huge Hispanic/Latin American population. As for politics, you have a moderate Democratic mayor in a state that has tended to vote solidly Republican in the last several elections (the last Democratic governor was Ann Richards in the late 80's or early 90's). Texas in general is conservative, suburbs more so than the big cities (exception being Dallas). If it's important to you, there are large pockets of liberal, bohemian perspectives in Houston (try Montrose, the Heights, Midtown), and you can find them fairly easily. Check out the Houston Press or KPFT online sometime. Honestly, I think it's misleading and disingenuous to try to write off the entire city (and state) with a blanket label of "conservative." Like most things, it's just not that black and white.

4) Is the culture different? You may get a better answer to this question if you are more specific. In what ways are you expecting the culture to be different? Personally, I much prefer Texas (specifically Houston) to the west coast now after having lived here for four years. For one thing, people are much, much nicer in my opinion. There is something to be said for the sense of "southern hospitality" and that definitely is alive and well in Houston. I'm now amazed by the general rudeness and incivility when I travel to Boston or San Francisco, and it makes me appreciate Houston even more. The culture is different in other, small ways as well, but I generally have found the changes to be positive rather than negative.

Hope this helps.

lilycat said:
I moved to Houston from the west coast, and from an extremely liberal area on the west coast.

lilycat said:
I'm now amazed by the general rudeness and incivility when I travel to Boston or San Francisco, and it makes me appreciate Houston even more.

Wouldn't the above qualify as blanket statements, and therefore "misleading and disingenuous"?

thanks for the responses... it helps a lot to hear what other people think about Houston. I honestly won't be able to feel it out for myself unless i actually go live there for an extended period of time. i really loved the school, the students and the curriculum. it really is just environmental concerns that i have. but your responses have helped put me at ease, a bit.
And yes, it is important for me to remember that no place is "black and white." I am sure there will be all sorts of people everywhere.

thanks -SeattlePostBach

Bernito said:
Originally Posted by lilycat
I moved to Houston from the west coast, and from an extremely liberal area on the west coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilycat
I'm now amazed by the general rudeness and incivility when I travel to Boston or San Francisco, and it makes me appreciate Houston even more.

Wouldn't the above qualify as blanket statements, and therefore "misleading and disingenuous"?

You're right on one -- the second statement is a blanket statement. To be more correct, I will say:

"When I travel to Boston or San Francisco, I am often left with an impression of rudeness and incivility from many of my encounters there."

This is now a statement of opinion, as opposed to a statement of fact, thus should not be misleading or disingenuous (if one knows one is dealing with an opinion, one can more easily decide to discard or apply said opinion).

As for "extremely liberal," with regard to the unnamed community on the west coast, this is a generalization (although an accurate one) but is not misleading or disingenuous because it was stated in the context of describing an unnamed community. It's hard to be misleading or disingenuous when you don't name the location. What exactly am I being misleading about, with regard to this statement? How exactly is it untrue?

This should be contrasted to your response regarding the original question of whether or not Texas is super-conservative to which you replied:

Texas is. Absolutely. Houston is as well. The medical center, however, is a small oasis, but its not perfect.

It will be a culture shock.

In my opinion, a number of people who have spent time in the cities of Austin or Houston (or possibly even San Antonio), will disagree with that statement, which implies that the entire state of Texas, including the cities, is uniformly super-conservative. That IS misleading. That IS disingenuous. It is also patently untrue given the fact that there are elected officials throughout the state, such as Sheila Jackson Lee, Bill White, and Ronnie Earl, who would be unlikely to be labeled as "super-conservative" by anyone. Your blanket statement WAS misleading because it was false, as can be evidenced by mayoral results for Houston over the last several decades, as well as the results of other political contests throughout the state.

lilycat said:
You're right on one -- the second statement is a blanket statement. To be more correct, I will say:

"When I travel to Boston or San Francisco, I am often left with an impression of rudeness and incivility from many of my encounters there."

This is now a statement of opinion, as opposed to a statement of fact, thus should not be misleading or disingenuous (if one knows one is dealing with an opinion, one can more easily decide to discard or apply said opinion).

As for "extremely liberal," with regard to the unnamed community on the west coast, this is a generalization (although an accurate one) but is not misleading or disingenuous because it was stated in the context of describing an unnamed community. It's hard to be misleading or disingenuous when you don't name the location. What exactly am I being misleading about, with regard to this statement? How exactly is it untrue?

This should be contrasted to your response regarding the original question of whether or not Texas is super-conservative to which you replied:

It will be a culture shock.

In my opinion, a number of people who have spent time in the cities of Austin or Houston (or possibly even San Antonio), will disagree with that statement, which implies that the entire state of Texas, including the cities, is uniformly super-conservative. That IS misleading. That IS disingenuous. It is also patently untrue given the fact that there are elected officials throughout the state, such as Sheila Jackson Lee, Bill White, and Ronnie Earl, who would be unlikely to be labeled as "super-conservative" by anyone. Your blanket statement WAS misleading because it was false, as can be evidenced by mayoral results for Houston over the last several decades, as well as the results of other political contests throughout the state.

You're absolutely right about my first statement (above). It was too extreme for me to write off the state like that. I also appologize for the wording in my next statement, I was not trying to be rude, just continuing the discussion. As you can see I lack social skills :(

I am from Austin. I guess my statement was made out of frustration. When, for example, a completely useless ban on gay marriage passes by 76% (useless b/c Texas had already defined mariage as between a man and a woman), you might see how I'd be inclined to label the state "conservative." To be fair, portions of Austin and Houston were some of the only areas in the state to have a majority against the ban.

Bernito said:
I am from Austin. I guess my statement was made out of frustration. When, for example, a completely useless ban on gay marriage passes by 76% (useless b/c Texas had already defined mariage as between a man and a woman), you might see how I'd be inclined to label the state "conservative." To be fair, portions of Austin and Houston were some of the only areas in the state to have a majority against the ban.
I appreciate and sympathize with your frustration. The world would be a lot better place if people stopped trying to force others to live their personal lives the way the majority does. However, these gay marriage bans have been passed in the North, South, East and West; in fact, a majority of states nationwide now have them or are considering passing them. Unfortunately, no state or section of this country has a monopoly on ignorance or interference with the rights of others.