Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know if there is a trend or anything at Baylor, but how long after you get an interview do you hear about acceptance stuff?

Members don't see this ad.

MadameLULU said:
They reject people post-interview when the ENTIRE class is filled. I'd say ppl should receive letters in late late July or early August. Ppl holding spots at other tx schools past June 15 are basically rejecte, although they won't receive official word until later in the summer

So if there is a spot open on June 16th, but you accepted at a Texas school, you will automatically be taken off the list? Does that mean that only people that didn't apply to other Texas schools have a chance of filling those last few spots?

kaffy said:
I don't know if there is a trend or anything at Baylor, but how long after you get an interview do you hear about acceptance stuff?

It depends on where you are in their ranking. Like Moose said before, they maintain a master ranking after you interview. They accept a number of people from the top of that list (every week, I think). So, if you're on top of that list, you'd get accepted with in a few weeks. Otherwise, it may take longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lee580 said:
So if there is a spot open on June 16th, but you accepted at a Texas school, you will automatically be taken off the list? Does that mean that only people that didn't apply to other Texas schools have a chance of filling those last few spots?

No, they're not part of the match. They might as well be in another state.

Lee580 said:

According to BCM website:
"In deference to alternate wait-listed applicants, no places are offered to individuals already holding a place at another medical school in Texas after June 15."

ClearDay said:
According to BCM website:
"In deference to alternate wait-listed applicants, no places are offered to individuals already holding a place at another medical school in Texas after June 15."

Dang, someone uses a source and blows away what I thought. That's weird.

QofQuimica said:
Whoever would have thought that you'd be wrong about anything??? :p :smuggrin: ;)

Well, I used to think you were nice... :p

QofQuimica said:
Aww, Moosie, you know I :love: you. It's all that gearhead talk of yours. ;)

:laugh:

So I emailed Baylor. I want to find out where I am on the list. I'll let everyone know if I get a response and what it says.

MoosePilot said:

So I emailed Baylor. I want to find out where I am on the list. I'll let everyone know if I get a response and what it says.

They likely won't tell you, because the list is always changing. What it they said "you're second from the top" and then this Friday, they have 50 new applicants come into interview, all of whom rank higher. Suddenly you're number 52, but you think you're about to get a phone call. They simply can't give any information out like that.

About rejection letters - Baylor stops interviewing mid-February or so. At that point, anyone not interviewed receives a rejection. They take a few more weeks to continue to accept people, wait for people to decline and all that, so that they can get a good idea of where they stand in terms of filling the class. At that point, people at the bottom of the list (I have no idea how many people) are sent rejections, and people near the top are sent notices that they are on waitlists.

The timing of these post-interview letters is variable. Rejections are usually sent out first, around mid-March. At that time, they are still working with offering acceptances and having people decline, so waitlist letters take a little longer. By early April of my application round, some people had already received wait list letters, but I had not. Then I got my phone call from Dr. Michael.

So, it's all a very fluid process, constantly in flux. It will drive many of you insane. Unfortunately, all I can say is that I feel your pain, but I wish you all the best of luck!

When do the last interview invitations go out for those last interviews in Feb?

Members don't see this ad :)
MoosePilot said:

I'm curious, too! :D

MadameLULU said:
December? January?

Is this speculation? I hope you are right...

Has anyone considered sending Baylor one of those Letter of Intent things? Does anyone know if Baylor takes them into consideration?

I'm thinking a letter of intent would only be useful once they start waitlisting people. For now you should probably just wait impatiently. Its great fun. Everyone is doing it.

Lee580 said:
Has anyone considered sending Baylor one of those Letter of Intent things? Does anyone know if Baylor takes them into consideration?

Don't send now. It's way to early. They take them into consideration b/c they would rather take someone off the waitlist who says they are willing to go there instead of contacting someone who is unsure or wants more time to decide ...anyhow this is what i was told by a dean

ms. a said:
They likely won't tell you, because the list is always changing. What it they said "you're second from the top" and then this Friday, they have 50 new applicants come into interview, all of whom rank higher. Suddenly you're number 52, but you think you're about to get a phone call. They simply can't give any information out like that.

It's always changing, but seriously, if you're #2 from the top today, you're not going to end up #52 tomorrow. What are the chances that an entire interview group are better than everyone else they've already interviewed :laugh:

They can, they just choose not to. Recognizing the difference is important, in my opinion.

MoosePilot said:
It's always changing, but seriously, if you're #2 from the top today, you're not going to end up #52 tomorrow. What are the chances that an entire interview group are better than everyone else they've already interviewed :laugh:

They can, they just choose not to. Recognizing the difference is important, in my opinion.
Ok, so never mind the semantics. Did you get an answer?

This is for all the anal people like me.

Up till today there were only 3 acceptance on mdapplicants, but a 4th one went up today. I dont know if that means anything or not. I just thought it was interesting because it seems like Baylor broke their pattern last Friday and hasn't called anyone in a while. This doesn't necessarily mean that Baylor made phone calls today or anytime recently. The person could have gotten the call a few weeks ago and updated her profile today.

Anyways, it seems like a lot of people are trying to get a feel for the phone call timing and where they stand and all that so i just thought id bring it to attention

Lee580 said:

Up till today there were only 3 acceptance on mdapplicants, but a 4th one went up today. I dont know if that means anything or not. I just thought it was interesting because it seems like Baylor broke their pattern last Friday and hasn't called anyone in a while. This doesn't necessarily mean that Baylor made phone calls today or anytime recently. The person could have gotten the call a few weeks ago and updated her profile today.

Anyways, it seems like a lot of people are trying to get a feel for the phone call timing and where they stand and all that so i just thought id bring it to attention

Keep in mind that not all interviewees use SDN or md appl't. I didn't even know about SDN until two weeks ago...

QofQuimica said:
Ok, so never mind the semantics. Did you get an answer?

If I had an answer, I wouldn't be arguing semantics :smuggrin:

:(

Bernito said:
Keep in mind that not all interviewees use SDN or md appl't. I didn't even know about SDN until two weeks ago...

Exactly. There isn't enough damn transparency in the admissions process. SDN and mdapplicants aren't much to go on, but i guess its better than nothing. Just trying to glean whatever info i can get.

Lee580 said:

Yeah u are right. I don't think Baylor called anyone this past Friday because I'm sure at least one SDNer would have posted about it. Keep in mind that Dr. Bradshaw was supposed to come back on Monday (11/7/05) from somewhere out of the country and the last acceptances I have seen come out were nearly two weeks ago on 10/28/05 from Dr. Michael. I'm guessing Dr. Bradshaw is catching up on some of the stuff he missed while he was away and is yet to get to calling people for acceptances (this is just pure speculation). I mean, I think we both go to a huge undergraduate institution, Lee, and I've only heard of one person, with a 41 MCAT, get into Baylor so far. By this time last year, on the BCM Class Entering Class of '05 thread, quite a few people had received word by mid to late November. Baylor traditionally accepts 10-15 people from our school each year so don't worry just yet. I'm guessing they have a big list of people they have already accepted or are on the verge of acceptance but just haven't gotten around to making the calls (and will probably do so this week or next). I'm also anxiously waiting by the phone sometimes and the waiting is driving me crazy at times (I just want to know where I stand and Baylor without a doubt is my first choice) but I guess we all have to hang in there and continue with our lives and hope everything works out for the best. Once again, good luck to everyone waiting. Take care guys.

Just got an interview invite for Dec. 2 a few days ago. I'm very excited but worried I may not be able to make it. That being said, I really don't want to jeopardize my chances there cuz I really like the school and haven't had too many other interview offers to date. Anyone know how often they interview, or has anyone had experience changing interview dates? I really want to go as soon as possible. Thanks.

Starvin Marvin said:
Just got an interview invite for Dec. 2 a few days ago. I'm very excited but worried I may not be able to make it. That being said, I really don't want to jeopardize my chances there cuz I really like the school and haven't had too many other interview offers to date. Anyone know how often they interview, or has anyone had experience changing interview dates? I really want to go as soon as possible. Thanks.
They only interview people once every two weeks, so there are not a lot of dates. I don't know how easy it is to change to a later date if you can't make the one they offer.

On a completely different note, are there any current Baylor students who are doing the Research Track? I would like to hear more about it from someone who is involved with it. Actually, if anyone has done any research while at Baylor, I'd be glad to hear about that too.

Also, I am under the impression that I can change my state residency to Texas after MSI. Any current students not from Texas who have had experience doing this? Is it realistic to expect to be able to do this if I buy a condo or townhouse, get a driver's license, etc.?

QofQuimica said:
On a completely different note, are there any current Baylor students who are doing the Research Track? I would like to hear more about it from someone who is involved with it. Actually, if anyone has done any research while at Baylor, I'd be glad to hear about that too.

Im not a Baylor student, but at the interview a student on that track told me about it. Said it was great, there's ton's of work to be done, Surgeon's backlogged with wierd cases and such, plus a $20K stipend for the year. No applying, just say you want to do it.

QofQuimica said:
Also, I am under the impression that I can change my state residency to Texas after MSI. Any current students not from Texas who have had experience doing this? Is it realistic to expect to be able to do this if I buy a condo or townhouse, get a driver's license, etc.?

They also said that it is really easy to change residency, if you buy a place, which is not impossible in Houston (compared to some major cities).

Bernito said:
Im not a Baylor student, but at the interview a student on that track told me about it. Said it was great, there's ton's of work to be done, Surgeon's backlogged with wierd cases and such, plus a $20K stipend for the year. No applying, just say you want to do it.

They also said that it is really easy to change residency, if you buy a place, which is not impossible in Houston (compared to some major cities).
That's what I had heard, too. :)

QofQuimica said:

Im considering doing the track and Ive talked to folks about it who have been in it, and attending the info meetings about it. THere aren't many who do it each year, but those that do really enjoy it and think it is a worthwhile experience. The thing is, if you really, really want to do research, clinical or otherwise, then a pHd or MD/PhD is the way to go. If you want to go into academic medicine but dont want to suffer through the many years to get a PhD then the MSRT way be the way to go. Its a pretty sweet deal IF you want to go into academic medicine or are now considering research and want a taste of what a full time researcher does. Then again, it pushes back your grad date from school another year = 1 yr MD salary lost.

latinfridley said:
Im considering doing the track and Ive talked to folks about it who have been in it, and attending the info meetings about it. THere aren't many who do it each year, but those that do really enjoy it and think it is a worthwhile experience. The thing is, if you really, really want to do research, clinical or otherwise, then a pHd or MD/PhD is the way to go. If you want to go into academic medicine but dont want to suffer through the many years to get a PhD then the MSRT way be the way to go. Its a pretty sweet deal IF you want to go into academic medicine or are now considering research and want a taste of what a full time researcher does. Then again, it pushes back your grad date from school another year = 1 yr MD salary lost.
I do want to go into academic medicine. But I'm going to be coming into med school with a PhD already, so an MD/PhD program really isn't appropriate for me. Since my PhD is in basic science (chemistry), I would like to get some clinical research training. I don't care that much about waiting one more year if it will help me in the future. It's not like I've been making big bucks anyway as a grad student all these years, so I'm used to it. :smuggrin: You're in your first year, I take it. When do you have to commit to doing the research track? And what exactly are these info meetings you attended?

Another Friday. Lets hope someting happens.

thats exactly what i was thinking....hopefully we'll get some good news today...good luck everyone!

hobbesiscool said:
Good luck to everyone. Today could be our day.

Today is Veteran's Day, isn't it? I don't think the school will be open.

QofQuimica said:
lmao, Moose, you are well on your way to getting a rep as a real party pooper. :laugh: ;)

Yeah, I'm only saying this because Tulane is on the same campus! :smuggrin:

QofQuimica said:
Nice going, dude. You've just managed to p*** off the entire TMC. :smuggrin:

Nah, they're not at work today.

Uh-oh, that probably means they have time to read SDN :eek:

wait, i dont think most people get off for veterans day do they? i work as a research tech for baylor and we don't have off today....i think there is still hope guys

Today is definitely business as usual here at Baylor. Baylor takes few holidays (no Veteran's Day, no Columbus Day ... I think there's another one, too).

I'M GOING TO BAYLOR COLLEGE OF MEDICINE BIZZZNATCHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I couldn't be happier, I danced around the kitchen with my boyfriend for about thirty min...I'll continue later. YAY!!!! I can't wait for medical school to start, screw this senior year bs, I'M READY! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
I couldn't be happier, I danced around the kitchen with my boyfriend for about thirty min...I'll continue later. YAY!!!! I can't wait for medical school to start, screw this senior year bs, I'M READY! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

three cheers *\o/* *\o/* *\o/*

congrats~!

congrats!!! when did they call you ladyjubilee?

LadyJubilee8_18 said:

I'm so happy for you !!! YaY!!

latinfridley said:

hey babe

looking forward to your baking skills on monday

and also, when did you interview?

LadyJubilee8_18 said:

Congratulations! Give us details on how you found out!

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
Congrats, Lady! :D :clap: