Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
slim06 said:
Did anyone else who is considering the class of 2010 miss the 2nd look weekend? I'm trying to decide between Baylor and a school in NYC, so I'll be out there the first week of may to look around. Of course, I'm not quite sure what it is that I'm going to be looking for. But anyway, If local folks wanted to meet up for beers, that'd be cool.
Sounds good, just shoot me a PM

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know about the availability and quality of the Favrot tower apartments? Unfortunately my roommate and I could only come down on a weekend and they are closed on weekends. The sooner the better on this, not to be pushy Thanks!

pcarlson05 said:
I'm also interested in this discussion. I keep telling myself that the Baylor-Methodist split won't be an issue for us (mostly because that's what students and faculty are telling me), but the reality is, I have no idea. And I don't think I'm going to find out anytime soon either.

My personal feeling is that everything is going to be ok for med students, but I don't really know about the residents. It seems that the issue was resolved almost a year ago, and so I think Baylor knows which faculty are staying/going. As for the new faculty, I guess I'm not too worried, since I think Baylor is just going to use the same philosophy it's always had when hiring. And that philosophy has pushed Baylor into a top ten medical school recently. Will that ranking continue over the next few years? I have no way of knowing. Will it drastically fall? Again, I have no way of knowing, but I really don't see that happening. Baylor knows what it takes to be a good medical school, and the school will continue to produce great doctors.

dude st.luke's is so much sweeter to work in than methodist, the setup there is alot nice, the computer systems more updated, i'm currently a medstudent and have done rotations at both hospitals i would take st.lukes over methodist any day

btw if you really like to do rotations at methodist you can still do neurology, psychiatry, and ophthalmology there =)

Members don't see this ad :)
TCUBryce22 said:
Does anyone know about the availability and quality of the Favrot tower apartments? Unfortunately my roommate and I could only come down on a weekend and they are closed on weekends. The sooner the better on this, not to be pushy Thanks!

I'd like to know about this too, also about the UT Houston Apt complex, do Baylor students live there too? How about it from current Med students as well as ms0s
thanks

Whatever you do, please,please don't stay in Favrot.....It felt kinda like being in a dungeon. I did a program in the medical center and I stayed at Favrot for 3 months. The convenience is great, but it felt like living in a college dorm all over again, minus ethernet access and all the other cool things about dorm life. If you're doing a summer program, Favrot is worth it, but I wouldn't recommend anyone staying there for more than a summer. The lighting inside is terrible, I had a suite with no windows and I would regularly wake up late thinking it was 7 AM when it was actually 10 or 11 AM. My tiny suite was $500 a month, it is $800 if you want to get your own big room to yourself. The interior is really drab, and mostly you'll find foreign medical students and residents living there who are all really busy with their work, so you won't have much opportunities for interaction with other people. The only reason I would even THINK about staying at Favrot is convenience, but that's about it.

uncle said:
I'd like to know about this too, also about the UT Houston Apt complex, do Baylor students live there too? How about it from current Med students as well as ms0s
thanks
Yeah, I know a couple of Baylor students who live in UT housing. I was going to live there, but a friend of mine wanted to room together at lanesborough

hobbesiscool said:
Whatever you do, please,please don't stay in Favrot.....It felt kinda like being in a dungeon. I did a program in the medical center and I stayed at Favrot for 3 months. The convenience is great, but it felt like living in a college dorm all over again, minus ethernet access and all the other cool things about dorm life. If you're doing a summer program, Favrot is worth it, but I wouldn't recommend anyone staying there for more than a summer. The lighting inside is terrible, I had a suite with no windows and I would regularly wake up late thinking it was 7 AM when it was actually 10 or 11 AM. My tiny suite was $500 a month, it is $800 if you want to get your own big room to yourself. The interior is really drab, and mostly you'll find foreign medical students and residents living there who are all really busy with their work, so you won't have much opportunities for interaction with other people. The only reason I would even THINK about staying at Favrot is convenience, but that's about it.

i've heard the same thing from classmates who live there, fyi. there're so many other options that are much, much better. if you room with someone, you can get the same price per person at a place on the rail. or a bus ride away.

FYI I emailed finaid today and they said they'd send out award notifications via email this week

scholarship letters have begun to be sent out by the committee.

Miss155 said:
scholarship letters have begun to be sent out by the committee.

Good to know! If that means you got one, congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
LaDoctorFutura said:
i'm living all by myself, moving to Kirby Place. but, i should be there mid- to early-June. i'm all up for meeting future classmates when we all finally arrive. anyone else looking at Kirby?

Did you get a good deal with them?

mina001 said:
Did you get a good deal with them?

I did get a really good deal with them! I don't know if the special is on now, but if you want the name of the locater I used, I'd be happy to give you her name. I was always gonna stay there, but when I mentioned her name, and she went there for me, they knocked off more than $100 bucks of the price, making it about 50 bucks more than Lanesborough's 1BD + study, but with 200 more square footage. I'm staying in a one bedroom with a study, but the one bedrooms have got to be around $800, maybe less. Beware, though...last time I called, they had a pretty extensive waitlist. So, you may not be able to get the smallest 1 bedroom, but still a good deal.

PM me if you want the apartment locater's name and contact info.

So has anyone received merit scholarship $$ lately?

bobob said:
So has anyone received merit scholarship $$ lately?
And the awards are out :)

JG198 said:

Yeah just got my financial package. I'll be withdrawing now!

JG198 said:

DId you get something in the mail???

FastForward said:
:thumbup: Thanks for deciding. Hopefully, I can have your seat.

No way dude, its all mine hopefully. fingers crossed for at least one of us.

bobob said:
Yeah just got my financial package. I'll be withdrawing now!

I don't get it. Why are u withdrawing?

What is the Baylor Trustee loan?

Miss155 said:
What is the Baylor Trustee loan?
Yeah, I got mine too. I found this link that gives the details of every institutional loan. From what I gather, the Baylor Trustee Loan has lower interest and a longer grace period. I'm still a little confused, but I will call the fin aid office Monday for further explanation.

P.S. What did you think of that Evolutionary test? It wasn't too terrible IMO

Little calclations and more fact based. He said he would post grades on Monday.

What's this Evolutionary test you are talking about? I don't recall anything that sounded like that.

Can anyone tell me something about AMLI at the medical center apartments?

ms. a said:
What's this Evolutionary test you are talking about? I don't recall anything that sounded like that.
Oh, we both go to the same college and are taking Evolutionary Bio together. Not about Baylor, sorry

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
Oh, we both go to the same college and are taking Evolutionary Bio together. Not about Baylor, sorry
Doh! For some reason, I thought that you were already first-years. Should've read you sig! Sorry!

I just received my BCM decal in the mail

latinfridley said:
I don't get it. Why are u withdrawing?

Because I have no intention of borrowing $44,000 a year when I get get by with borrowing $0 a year at another school.

bobob said:
Because I have no intention of borrowing $44,000 a year when I get get by with borrowing $0 a year at another school.

Cool. Good luck over there. I'm assuming $0 means zero tuition/fees, not including living expenses. If not, that's pretty sweet.

Miss155 said:
I just received my BCM decal in the mail

What is this BCM decal that you received in the mail? Can you please explain?

zzz1 said:
What is this BCM decal that you received in the mail? Can you please explain?

When you send in your $300 deposit, they send you a BCM decal as a "gift"

JG198 said:
When you send in your $300 deposit, they send you a BCM decal as a "gift"

They sent me a pen :( Maybe I'll buy a decal later on in the Baylor Bookstore.

was anyone pleased with their financial aid package?

Miss155 said:
mine was so so, but I can't really complain since I did receive a scholarship award. How about you?

Miss155 said:
I thought mine would be better than it was, but it's not too bad. I just hate to have to rack up so much debt...I guess that's how medschool goes though :oops:

Hmm, when did you guys receive your financial aid info? I haven't gotten anything yet.

Lyricist said:
Hmm, when did you guys receive your financial aid info? I haven't gotten anything yet.

Last Thursday evening the link for the website went out (e-mail). Also, award letters from the Scholarships went out sometime two weeks ago (or around that time).

From the list given as possible Stafford Loan lenders, which ones appear most appealing? How are you going to decide?

I think the hard part for me is deciding how much living expenses. My tuition is paid for by the scholarship.

JG198 said:
Last Thursday evening the link for the website went out (e-mail). Also, award letters from the Scholarships went out sometime two weeks ago (or around that time).

Huh, I am going to have to call them on monday.

Did anyone call financial aid about the details of the Baylor Trustee Loan?

I was clueless about financial aid. I thought it was like college and all you had to do was fill out the FAFSA. Anyway now I am sooooo late with all the paperwork. Hopefully Baylor has a good turn around and will let me know my award soon. Does anyone know how long it takes them to process? Also did anyone get the maximum amount of a stafford subsidized loan (I think $8,500)?

Is anyone thinking of living in the montrose area? Do y'all know how much rents are there?

slim06 said:
Is anyone thinking of living in the montrose area? Do y'all know how much rents are there?

bump

JG198 said:
Did anyone else get an e-mail saying their fin aid had been canceled? I wanted to go home and talk the package through with my parents, so I hadn't responded to the fin aid package yet, and I got an e-mail saying they'd already canceled the package! I thought we had three weeks. I was still able to get to the sight last night, so I showed it to my parents really fast and accepted it (Thank God it was still up), but WTF? Why would they tell us we had three weeks if we didn't?

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
Did anyone else get an e-mail saying their fin aid had been canceled? I wanted to go home and talk the package through with my parents, so I hadn't responded to the fin aid package yet, and I got an e-mail saying they'd already canceled the package! I thought we had three weeks. I was still able to get to the sight last night, so I showed it to my parents really fast and accepted it (Thank God it was still up), but WTF? Why would they tell us we had three weeks if we didn't?

I got that e-mail and called the fin aid office yesterday. The lady there told me it was sent in error and we still have the full three weeks- hope that helps!!

FroggyFan27 said:
I got that e-mail and called the fin aid office yesterday. The lady there told me it was sent in error and we still have the full three weeks- hope that helps!!
OH! Thanks. They should really get it together in the fin aid office

They also sent me that reminder about a few days after sending the award letter. Did anyone of you accept the whole package?