Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Miss155 said:
They also sent me that reminder about a few days after sending the award letter. Did anyone of you accept the whole package?

I just accepted the subsidized part. Unsubsidized makes you pay 6.8% interest from the start of med school onwards. Perkins and Baylor Trustee are not bad deals either.

Members don't see this ad.

Miss155 said:
was anyone pleased with their financial aid package?

I'm pretty pleased with my package. I'm not going to accept it all, but a good portion of it.

and yes... i'm excited! I'm actually moving down there on the 27th of May. Getting a very early start and loving it! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
the baylor c/o '10 should hang out sometime this summer! where is everyone staying? i'm staying in some apartments in condoland.

The baylor loan is a really good. When will we get the login information to go to the various websites. are there any new graduates here, c/o 2006.

prettygirl1908 said:
the baylor c/o '10 should hang out sometime this summer! where is everyone staying? i'm staying in some apartments in condoland.

we should start a listing of where we are staying. I'll start...

KIRBY PLACE- LaDoctorFutura

LaDoctorFutura said:
we should start a listing of where we are staying. I'll start...

KIRBY PLACE- LaDoctorFutura

Iàll be in Kirby as well, living with a good friend of mine (hes not in med school...)

P.S. sorry for the punctuation. in Italy right now.

KIRBY PLACE- LaDoctorFutura, pcarlson05
THE VALENCIA- mdgirl2006

THE VALENCIA- mdgirl2006
VERSAILLES PARK- mina

THE VALENCIA- mdgirl2006
VERSAILLES PARK- mina
Lanesborough- LadyJubilee8_18

THE VALENCIA- mdgirl2006
VERSAILLES PARK- mina
LANESBOROUGH- LadyJubilee8_18, TCUBryce22

Hi

Did anyone receive a texas public education grant.

Miss155 said:
Hi

Did anyone receive a texas public education grant.

i wouldn't think so since baylor is private, but maybe so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Howdy all,

So, it's been a while since I've actually been on here, and now I have a crapload of questions...help??

I just decided a couple weeks ago that I was for sure coming to Baylor. The reason it took me so long is that I'd matched at Southwestern at the beginning of February, went to MS0 day, all that jazz, and then finally heard back from Baylor after spring break:p. It took me a while to decide since I'd already given up hope on Baylor and had a large number of friends going to SW. Plus, if someone gives me until May 15 to decide on something, I'm likely to not make myself think about it until I really have to. Well, anyway, I'm super excited about coming to Baylor in the fall, but I've got a few questions and I'm sort of concerned about a few things.

First, what kind of financial aid packages are y'all getting?? Are they all loans? I'm all about the loans apparently, and I don't know if this is normal or if it's because I didn't fill out all the paperwork necessary until May. I know that's pretty dumb, but at SW they just have you fill out the FAFSA and they take it from there. I had no idea Baylor had so much paperwork until I finally really looked at the financial aid website.

Second, should I accept the whole package? I know I might not need all of it, but I also don't want to run out of $$ at semester's end, and I figured anything left over could just be paid back right there. Is that dumb?

Third....I kinda need a place to live now...what's the best way to go about it, and am I too late? Is there a forum on that somewhere (other than the listings on the Baylor C/O 2010 website)? Also, anyone know anything about the Favrot apartments? Basically I just need a lot of help here and don't know where to look for it.

Thanks guys...:)

Hey Chris

Whatever you do, please,please don't stay in Favrot.....It felt kinda like being in a dungeon. I did a program in the medical center and I stayed at Favrot for 3 months. The convenience is great, but it felt like living in a college dorm all over again, minus ethernet access and all the other cool things about dorm life. If you're doing a summer program, Favrot is worth it, but I wouldn't recommend anyone staying there for more than a summer. The lighting inside is terrible, I had a suite with no windows and I would regularly wake up late thinking it was 7 AM when it was actually 10 or 11 AM. My tiny suite was $500 a month, it is $800 if you want to get your own big room to yourself. The interior is really drab, and mostly you'll find foreign medical students and residents living there who are all really busy with their work, so you won't have much opportunities for interaction with other people. The only reason I would even THINK about staying at Favrot is convenience, but that's about it.

Anyways, here's something that I found from last year's class thread that I thought would be useful. It has some housing information in it as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the information that our class collected.

TIPS FOR STUDY GUIDES
-Try to summarize lectures on a page or less. They really only test the big concepts b/c there is so much material.
-Make your notes each day after lecture, but don't copy them straight out of the syllabus, a summary of each lesson with all the main points in your own words ensures you understood the concepts
-Find old tests, sometimes put on reserve in ERC by Block
-Make your study guides as the block progresses. Making a chart/notecards/etc the night before the exam will not be as helpful as one made over the 6 weeks
-If you decide to study with a person/group, make sure you actually do some work!
-Study the same way that you did in college. It obviously worked
-Use the study guide from the syllabus more than the required reading

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS
Here is a list of books that the Class of 2008 used. The ones in BOLD were owned by most everyone in the class. The other books are included for those who benefit from using books and are not essential.
Block 1: Junqeira, USMLE first aid, USMLE step 1 guide (some students say that a few questions came directly from here), Langmann’s Embryology (good pics), Bates for PPS
Anatomy: New Harveys (updated from syllabus given in class), Netter’s for anatomy (better diagrams/charts), Rohen’s gives labeled pictures of cadavers (pretty much everyone owns either Netter’s or Rohens or both), BRS anatomy for sample questions, Ackland videos available in ERC are very helpful
Blocks 2-3: BRS physiology
Block 4: Cellular and Molecular Immunology
Block 5-6: Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simply
-Use other libraries. Many have books that you can check out rather than buying the textbooks, using them for one block and never looking at them again.
-Buy books ahead of time online to save money

IPS RESOURCES
ERC web resources (on ERC homepage): statref, uptodate.com, Harrison’s online
Webmd.com
PubMed
Mdconsult.com
Emedicine.com
Medlineplus

HOUSING
Use Apartment Locators. They will take you around for free to as many apartments that you want in their own car (so you do not spend the day getting lost).

San Melia: $1265/mo for 2BR/2BA/~1200SF, received 2 mo. free w/special they were having, ended up about $1065/mo
Include transportation options from your location
Bus: 87, nearest bus stop about a 5-7 min. walk (depending on how fast you walk)
Apt. Shuttle: tokens are $0.50 each way, passes once every hour
Overall recommend or avoid: Rate from 5 (best) to 1 (worst)
4: PROS: very nice, pretty new apt.’s, nice office staff, beautiful pool/exercise facility
CONS: walk to/from bus seems long on hot or rainy days

Lanesborough $730 mo
Next year two of us are getting a two bedroom there for about 1100.
Light Rail, AMAZING! (Railpass free provided by Baylor), walk (25 min), bike (10 min)
3-4, the annoyances (bugs, things breaking, mean ladies at the office) are worth the easy access to school, great amenities and location, convenience

Camden Vanderbilt on Buffalo Speedway - $800 for a single 1 bed/1bath
I think they had a discount of $150 off, but it was for everyone, not just med students. It’s a really nice place and the management is wonderful. You put in a request and it gets done that afternoon or next morning.
Metro bus to the metro rail, or the metro bus all the way
5 – I really like living here, but transportation is kind of annoying though…I’d prefer to just take the rail instead of the bus, but it’s okay. I get to school in 30 min. Only about 4-5 people from our current class live here.

Cambridge Court at 8055 Cambridge, I rent a two bedroom condo for $745 a month.
Bus #87 just outside the complex, close enough to bike (10-15 mins) or walk (45 mins).

AMLI apartments- $880 for a two bedroom, two bath. It is a well kept, nice apartment complex. Bus stop about 10 minutes away. Biking to the med center takes about 15 minutes (my preferred method).
I would rate it a 4. It is a really nice apartment that is not too expensive. The only problem is that the bus stop is not right outside the complex.

Parque Del Oro - $760 for the first year which included the discount
(discount at that time was 2 months free prorated over the year)
Shuttle, Bus (but you have to walk a little ways to it)
3, not the most convenient place but the floor plan is really nice if you have a roommate. It's a very generous split plan, but I'm unsure how much the price will go up in the 2nd year. It's a very small complex, and the management is good. Neighbors can get a little loud because most of them go to UH or Rice with some med students, PA students, graduate students, and other people interspersed in between.

Archstone med center: $790/ mo for a 2/1 (850sq ft) not including utilities (around $100 mo), rates vary month to month, check w/ office
Light rail is superconvenient
i love archstone medical center (i heard the other archstones weren't so great), they fix things fast and are very professional. very clean and new. i feel safe and completely at home. no problems at all, Rate it a 5

Versailles Park: $845 mo but $685 w/ 2 months free for 1/1
Transportation: 87 bus is around the corner, 5 minute walk to bus stop
Drive and park near Rice along residential street and walk in, takes 30 minutes total
Rate 4: nice grounds w/ palm trees, excellent price w/ 2 mos free, it seems that in the past 2 mos the people moving in have been questionable

RESTAURANTS
-Café Adobe- 3 dollar margaritas on Mondays,
-Angelica- Cheap Date Night- 5 dollar movie/popcorn/drink- also on Mondays
-Amazon Grill
-Collina’s
-Chocolate Bar
-Two Rows: dollar pint night
-Free brewery tour with samples at saint arnold’s every Saturday.
-Ming’s located at Montrose and Westheimer, best Chinese in town.
-Baba Yega -- healthy yummy food $8-12,
-Chinatown (go to bellaire st., and pick any restaurant you want, explore)
-Istanbul Grill -- the best Turkish/Mediteranean food ever for $6-15
-Empire Café, plates go for $10-$15, they serve a variety of sandwiches, chicken plates, pizzas, a variety of coffee drinks, and awesome slices of cake
-The Red Onion (on Kirby) – great place to take the parents, delicious Central American cuisine and fabulous margaritas! $15-24
-Sushi Rock – $6-8 for lunch special, Thai/Japanese
-Niko Niko's – $7-10, Greek
-Fadi's Mediterranean Grill – $8-10, Mediterranean
-Sinh Sinh – $7-10 a dish, Chinese/Vietnamese
-Mayuri - $10 Lunch buffet, Indian
-BW3/Buffalo Wild Wings – 35 cent wings on Tuesday and 50 cent legs
-Cheesecake Factory – $10-17, Galleria area, good portions compared to other upscale places
-Eatzi's – $5-10, healthy food, not really a restaurant though
-Hungry's in the Village – $8-13, Mediterranean
-La Tapatia on Richmond and Hazard-ish – Open late night, $3-10, Mexican food
-Chacho's – $3-10, open late nights
-Pei Wei: $10 a plate
http://www.myconsumerguide.com/entertainment_guide.htm

COFFEE SHOPS/ STUDY
-Diedrich’s coffee
-Crossroads – coffee
-Salentos
-Café Brazil
-House of Pies on Kirby
-Taft Street Coffee – only coffee and a few pastries, but a great study spot! $2-5.
-Teahouse on Shepherd - $3 a drink, Tapioca

Free wireless + coffee/drinks:

Crossroads

T-spot in the village

Tapioca Express at Buffalo Speedway and 59

Tropioca in midtown on Milam (accessible via light rail if you're hardy)

Teahouse at Westheimer and Shepherd

**You probably don't want to stay in Favrot. I hear the same things.

**Living near the MetroRail is nice...quite nice...but the bus (#87) is OK too I hear

for the people living not near the campus, how will you deal with parking. Bascially, where can we park and ride the rail if possible.

Miss155 said:
for the people living not near the campus, how will you deal with parking. Bascially, where can we park and ride the rail if possible.
If you're living far away from campus, you can either park at one of the condos/apts near the rail (if you get there early enough) or buy a month long parking pass for $35 at the South Fannin park and ride. I live south off 288 and use the Park & Ride lot, safe and well-lit for late nights.

so I would park and then take the bus

I was wondering if anyone knew the actual costs of books and supplies for the first year? I have read the materials they have sent me but you know how they can either over/under estimate the costs. I am currently trying to figure out how much I need for loans.

hobbesiscool said:
BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS
Here is a list of books that the Class of 2008 used. The ones in BOLD were owned by most everyone in the class. The other books are included for those who benefit from using books and are not essential.
Block 1: Junqeira, USMLE first aid, USMLE step 1 guide (some students say that a few questions came directly from here), Langmann’s Embryology (good pics), Bates for PPS
Anatomy: New Harveys (updated from syllabus given in class), Netter’s for anatomy (better diagrams/charts), Rohen’s gives labeled pictures of cadavers (pretty much everyone owns either Netter’s or Rohens or both), BRS anatomy for sample questions, Ackland videos available in ERC are very helpful
Blocks 2-3: BRS physiology
Block 4: Cellular and Molecular Immunology
Block 5-6: Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simply
-Use other libraries. Many have books that you can check out rather than buying the textbooks, using them for one block and never looking at them again.
-Buy books ahead of time online to save money

you forgot to put the books that everyone uses in bold, thanks

Hello everyone, I just wanted to add to the list...

THE VALENCIA- mdgirl2006
VERSAILLES PARK- mina
LANESBOROUGH- LadyJubilee8_18, TCUBryce22, Balladevil

Also, did anyone who is in Houston over the summer want to get together just so we can meet some people before orientation. Just PM me and I can start an email up for that. Also, for the general crowd, was anyone interested in the MD/MBA at Baylor/Rice?

Dr.Neil Roberts said:
I was wondering if anyone knew the actual costs of books and supplies for the first year? I have read the materials they have sent me but you know how they can either over/under estimate the costs. I am currently trying to figure out how much I need for loans.
I tend to think that Baylor overestimates by a lot for single students. The amount spent on books varies by the person and depends on what one considers essential. Maybe you should set aside $500 for books to be safe. Oh, and don't forget to consider how much you'll spend on a computer, if you decide to get a new one.

balladevil said:
Hello everyone, I just wanted to add to the list...

THE VALENCIA- mdgirl2006
VERSAILLES PARK- mina
LANESBOROUGH- LadyJubilee8_18, TCUBryce22, Balladevil

Also, did anyone who is in Houston over the summer want to get together just so we can meet some people before orientation. Just PM me and I can start an email up for that. Also, for the general crowd, was anyone interested in the MD/MBA at Baylor/Rice?

I'm in Dallas right now with my parents, but I'll be in Houston around the first of June. We should plan a meet

Dr.Neil Roberts said:
you forgot to put the books that everyone uses in bold, thanks

Most used all of those books or just about. No need to bold em.

latinfridley said:
Most used all of those books or just about. No need to bold em.
Do you know of any current medical students who want to sell their old books? I don't know if this is a common practice, but if you know anyone I'd be interested in buying.

Who are yall choosing for your stafford loan lender? Anyone know which one is the best?

ubuggin said:
Who are yall choosing for your stafford loan lender? Anyone know which one is the best?
I think i am going with Student Loan Xpress because they charge you no guarantee or origination fees and actually give you an additional 3 months grace period (so nine month grace period instead of the usual 6 months for Stafford) AND they said that during residency, residents make way too little so they actually accept deferrments past residency and fellowship (on subsidized loans, no interest accrues while on unsubsidized loans, interest is capitalized)... all you need to do to defer past residency/fellowship is file for an economic hardship. They also have interest rate reductions and principal reductions based on other criteria that matches up similarly to other lenders. Hope that helps!

Hey if anyone wants to sell old books for MSI or knows someone who does, I am also interested in buying. You can PM me. Thanks!

I also want to buy used books if selling. Thanks.

has anyone receive their master promissary note yet.

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
Do you know of any current medical students who want to sell their old books? I don't know if this is a common practice, but if you know anyone I'd be interested in buying.

There will be many upperclassmen looking to unload their books when you get here for real cheap. Also, Half price books down here by TMC has a bunch of books for very cheap. No need to get them just yet.

To any current students...so after the recent crash of my computer, I'm planning to buy a new one soon for medical school. Does anyone know whether a Mac or PC works better for BCM? As in, is some BCM software designed specifically for one type? Also, does Baylor have any deals for purchasing a computer? Any suggestions on laptop vs. desktop would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

pcarlson05 said:
To any current students...so after the recent crash of my computer, I'm planning to buy a new one soon for medical school. Does anyone know whether a Mac or PC works better for BCM? As in, is some BCM software designed specifically for one type? Also, does Baylor have any deals for purchasing a computer? Any suggestions on laptop vs. desktop would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

I'd go with laptop, you can take it to school.
No special software is required. Make sure your laptop has built in wifi.
Also, BCM has a deal with Dell computers for discounted laptops/PCs. I think there is a link somewhere on the co2010 homepage.

But also you can get the educational discount on a mac! Apple will give you about 10% off anything, including Ipods, if you just click on the appropriate link on the homepage and select BCM.

I recommend a new macbook! I got a powerbook last year and I love it. There's no special software issue or anything except for maybe if you wish to speed up your streaming videos of the lectures, which is much easier on the PC (I don't ever watch them anyway though).

If you park and ride the metrorail from Fannin South it's $35 a month or $2 a day. If you do some mental math you may see that it's quite easy to save money by not buying the pass if you don't come on weekends or every single day (I get rides sometimes).

You can also park down by the museum district and ride back from that train station.

Some really hardy people park at Rice in the visitor lot and walk the 2 miles or whatever to campus. But not during the day during the summer I hope.

I've probably only spent $350 on books. It's really amazing how much is in our syllabus and available at the library or just not that necessary. good way to save $$ if you ask me.

Hi!
Can anyone tell me something about the blue-white-red bus system? How much is it? Any info will be valuable.
Thanks

Please keep up the thread on different parking options.

how long after accepting fin aid package did yall get to choose your lenders?

LaDoctorFutura said:
how long after accepting fin aid package did yall get to choose your lenders?

I still have not chosen my lender. Do you know if BCM students prefer one lender over another?

sorry, i meant when did you get the list of lenders to choose from?

mina001 said:
Hi!
Can anyone tell me something about the blue-white-red bus system? How much is it? Any info will be valuable.
Thanks

Basically, these are free buses that circulate around the TMC. I believe one of them picks up at the Hornberger center which is w/n walking distance from The Maroneal (nice apts). Several of my classmates who live in the Maroneal use the circulator b/c it comes ever 7 minutes during peak hours.

http://www.ridemetro.org/pdf/routes/320-tmc.pdf

JG198 said:
I still have not chosen my lender. Do you know if BCM students prefer one lender over another?

I chose THE. When choosing a lender choose the one with benefits that are important to you (origination fee, repayment options, etc).

how many ppl typically get in off the WL? i'm hopin to get into baylor off the WL (though if i don't it's fine, i'll just go to UF and be happy), and they should be starting to accept people from it in the next few weeks...just wondering my chances - i'm OOS so not sure if that'll help (cuz of the "no TX residents who are already in someplace accepted after june 15 rule") or hurt...when does orientation start, and when does baylor stop turning to the WL (June, July, or August?)...do people still get accepted off the WL in August? Does BCM reject people or does everyone go to the WL?

thank you!

Orientation starts 7/24. I have heard of people getting accepted right before school started, probably sometime in July. Did anyone receive notice to do a background check?

Miss155 said:
Did anyone receive notice to do a background check?
Everyone received that form - current and incoming students. Fill it out ASAP or you will start getting nasty emails about not being able to continue your education!

Miss155 said:
Orientation starts 7/24. I have heard of people getting accepted right before school started, probably sometime in July. Did anyone receive notice to do a background check?
I havent, did you get it in the mail?

Anyone else want to meet up this summer before school started (if in Houston this summer)? It would be cool to know some classmates before orientation started. I have gotten a couple of replies but wanted to see if anyone else was interested.

balladevil said:
Anyone else want to meet up this summer before school started (if in Houston this summer)? It would be cool to know some classmates before orientation started. I have gotten a couple of replies but wanted to see if anyone else was interested.

i am interested. i'm in houston until june 8.