Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
prettygirl1908 said:
i am interested. i'm in houston until june 8.
Awww! I won't be there until June 17th

Members don't see this ad.

i'd love to meet up with anyone. i actually just moved in during the memorial day weekend, so i'll be here whenever. just PM me! :D

Hey y'all, what's OP stand for when SDNers use it in their threads? as in, "this is in response to the OP..."
seems to be the person who started the thread, but don't know what the acronym is FOR?

Members don't see this ad :)
JabsterL said:
Hey y'all, what's OP stand for when SDNers use it in their threads? as in, "this is in response to the OP..."
seems to be the person who started the thread, but don't know what the acronym is FOR?

I think it stands for original post

I'm not 100% positive, but I think OP=original poster...

yeah, I also think it's original poster

26 days til we're done with our first year??!!

latinfridley said:
I'd go with laptop, you can take it to school.
No special software is required. Make sure your laptop has built in wifi.
Also, BCM has a deal with Dell computers for discounted laptops/PCs. I think there is a link somewhere on the co2010 homepage.

I would actually recommend a PC, because if you intend to watch videos (lectures online) fast (using Enounce) the MAC can't handle the software. But I now of students that have MACs and watch videos of lecture at school.

Go-Spurs said:
I would actually recommend a PC, because if you intend to watch videos (lectures online) fast (using Enounce) the MAC can't handle the software. But I now of students that have MACs and watch videos of lecture at school.
Go Spurs? Mavs are SO much better :p

when will get to choose a lender

Hi, Im from Colombia and I plan to take 3 electives at Baylor the next year, Im on 5th year of medical school, and I'll travel during internship.
Which electives do you think are the best to take there?

about one month left to go before life at baylor begins!

prettygirl1908 said:
about one month left to go before life at baylor begins!

It goes by fast, so enjoy life outside of school while you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
this thread has been kind of quiet lately. :(

seeing that we have crossed the month-countdown, wondering if anyone has moved to houston and interested in meeting prior to orientation? I've been here close to a month and look forward to meeting all of you.

Wow, Dr. Bradshaw is a genuine badass. Anywho, I was wondering what bank people ar using for their stafford loans. I've looked at the list on the website, and got lost in all the jargon. Thanks!

he is such a humanitarian! God Bless

Yeah, try to meet Dr. Bradshaw sometime, because he's one of the greats.

I wonder if he'll only stay in Botswana for 1 year...maybe we can go to Africa for an away rotation at his new med school...haha!

Are you guys and girls ready for PRN!!??

generic said:

I wonder if he'll only stay in Botswana for 1 year...maybe we can go to Africa for an away rotation at his new med school...haha!

What's PRN?

generic said:

hey generic, are you going to be a PRN leader?

hmm, call me slow, but i only just noticed the pun in your username ;)

Oh yeah, sorry...PRN is the system of groups you'll have in orientation as an incoming MS1.

Yes, I'm going to be a PRN leader with Lisa C. Should be tons of fun.

I think everyone should have received a letter that we wrote explaining PRN a little bit? I'm gonna be mad if they lost those things...........................................................

generic said:
Oh yeah, sorry...PRN is the system of groups you'll have in orientation as an incoming MS1.

I think everyone should have received a letter that we wrote explaining PRN a little bit? I'm gonna be mad if they lost those things...........................................................

I didn't get one. Are you saying that the incoming students should have received this letter?

generic said:

I didn't get one either....hrm

generic said:

There are two links on http://www.bcm.edu/osa/2010/ to PRN:

http://www.bcm.edu/osa/2010/prn_1.html
http://www.bcm.edu/osa/2010/survey_form.html

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
I didn't get one either....hrm

Don't worry, we wrote the letters a few weeks ago but they haven't been mailed out yet. I did not get mine until the middle of July last year. Plus it is nothing official so don't get worried if it gets lost in the mail.

I just got the email from my PRN moderators. I'm in the The Black Eyed Episiotomies.

Miss155 said:
I just got the email from my PRN moderators. I'm in the The Black Eyed Episiotomies.

Woohoo! I know your PRN leaders. They rock! :) Two of them were in my PRN group last year.

Hey everyone, I'm excited about this coming year and meeting everyone! Is anyone living in/near Parque Del Oro on El Mundo Street? I'm moving in the 15th of this month so if anyone's in the area, we should definitely hang out!

I'll be moving to Houston around July 15th and would love to meet up with my new classmates. Definitely keep me posted if you guys plan anything. I'm living in the Maroneal with two other incoming MS1s. Anyone else live there or closeby (ie. Greenbriar)?

Also moving in on July 15th, living in Kirby Place. Would be interested in meeting up, although I guess we will all meet each other a week later anyway...

pcarlson05 said:
Also moving in on July 15th, living in Kirby Place. Would be interested in meeting up, although I guess we will all meet each other a week later anyway...

i'm in Kirby right now (moved in about 6 weeks ago). let me know when you get settled in and we can meet up. :)

Hey, does anyone know anything about the bus that picks up at the Maroneal? I've heard that it's the TMC circulator, and one person told me it was free although I've heard otherwise from other people. Can someone who lives there tell me something for sure?

I don't live at the Maroneal, but I have visited and it's mighty nice. I don't think the TMC circulator goes there, based on this:

http://www.ridemetro.org/pdf/routes/tmccirculator.pdf

However, the circulator does go to the TMC transit center which is pretty close to the Marnoeal (you can almost see the apartments' location on that PDF map).

You can buy a Metro UPASS for $1 a week (so we pay about $24 dollars a semester). This gives you unlimited rides on buses and trains (normally $1 each way for the train). So it's a great deal.

Riding your bike from the Maroneal might not be a bad idea either (at least from November-April).

More bus routes: www.ridemetro.org

Seona said:
I'll be moving to Houston around July 15th and would love to meet up with my new classmates. Definitely keep me posted if you guys plan anything. I'm living in the Maroneal with two other incoming MS1s. Anyone else live there or closeby (ie. Greenbriar)?

I'll be living at the Greenbriar...anyone else living there?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/metro/4032341.html

"Houston plaintiff's lawyer John O'Quinn kicked off a fundraising effort Friday with a $25 million donation from his foundation to the Menninger Clinic in hopes of moving the facility closer to the Texas Medical Center.

O'Quinn's donation is the first to Menninger in an estimated $100 million campaign to raise money for a complex bringing together mental health care, research and education facilities. The project is the product of a partnership between the clinic, Baylor College of Medicine and Methodist Hospital, which form the MBM Foundation.
..."

This has to be good for every BCM student! Yeah!

Seona said:
Hey, does anyone know anything about the bus that picks up at the Maroneal? I've heard that it's the TMC circulator, and one person told me it was free although I've heard otherwise from other people. Can someone who lives there tell me something for sure?

One of the TMC circulators (I think it's the blue) picks up at the Hornberger center across the street from the Maroneal. During peak hours it comes every 7 minutes. My friends love it!

Just wondering if Baylor or TMC offers any kind of discounted wireless plans for its employees and students. At my undergrad, we got really good deals with Verizon and such...

Seona said:
Just wondering if Baylor or TMC offers any kind of discounted wireless plans for its employees and students. At my undergrad, we got really good deals with Verizon and such...
I don't know about that, but does anyone know when we get our fin aid checks or how we get them? Are they sent to our homes?

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
I don't know about that, but does anyone know when we get our fin aid checks or how we get them? Are they sent to our homes?

I thought they deducted tuition from our loans/grants first, and then whatever is left over they refund to you. Since money isn't disbursed (and deducted) until July 31st, I can only imagine that we would have to pick up the checks from student account services ourselves once we get there. Anybody else have any ideas?

Seona said:
I thought they deducted tuition from our loans/grants first, and then whatever is left over they refund to you. Since money isn't disbursed (and deducted) until July 31st, I can only imagine that we would have to pick up the checks from student account services ourselves once we get there. Anybody else have any ideas?

DING DING. You have won 1,000 dollars. Thank you for playing Seona. :)

After you pick up your first check you can fill out paperwork to have the money put into a direct deposit account.

MadameLULU said:
DING DING. You have won 1,000 dollars. Thank you for playing Seona. :)

After you pick up your first check you can fill out paperwork to have the money put into a direct deposit account.
If anyone is interested, a few of our classmates and I are going to meet at Zake for happy hour sushi tomorrow around 5:30pm. It's on Shepard by petsmart. If you are comming from 59 south, exit Shepard and make a right. Then go all the way down and it's on the left hand sign. I don't know the cross street, but once you can see the giant, vertical "Alabama" sign, you are close. If you pass petsmart on the left, you've gone too far because it's in that same shopping center. PM me for more details

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
If anyone is interested, a few of our classmates and I are going to meet at Zake for happy hour sushi tomorrow around 5:30pm. It's on Shepard by petsmart. If you are comming from 59 south, exit Shepard and make a right. Then go all the way down and it's on the left hand sign. I don't know the cross street, but once you can see the giant, vertical "Alabama" sign, you are close. If you pass petsmart on the left, you've gone too far because it's in that same shopping center. PM me for more details

Oh no, I won't be in town until this Satuday! Oh well, at least orientation is coming up soon. I'm so excited and I just can't hide it :)

Does anyone know how and when to purchase the health insurance through Baylor? Does anyone know how much is it and how to sign up for it as an incoming first year? Thanks!

Has anyone else not gotten their PRN letters yet? I'm about to leave for Houston tomorrow so I guess I'll never get it...