Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This question is for anybody familiar with Baylor. What are Baylor's residency programs that are considered its strengths? I know I have a long way to go before I should even start thinking about that kinda stuff, but I was just kinda curious. Any current med students or residents know how good Baylor's ENT residency program is? The only thing I know about it is that is is five years, as opposed to six years.

Members don't see this ad.

hobbesiscool said:
This question is for anybody familiar with Baylor. What are Baylor's residency programs that are considered its strengths? I know I have a long way to go before I should even start thinking about that kinda stuff, but I was just kinda curious. Any current med students or residents know how good Baylor's ENT residency program is? The only thing I know about it is that is is five years, as opposed to six years.

Strong programs:
Peds
Psych
Plastics
ENT
PM&R

As for ENT specifically, I just know it's a good program. I have a friend who just matched ENT, so my information is coming from her (and she interviewed at some amazing places including MGH and UCSF).

Members don't see this ad :)
there are so many cuts that i've heard about thus far! where was the funding cut? at the state-level or national-level? i hope no other program cuts arise out of this decrease in funding.

Anyone planning on going to the second look a day early and taking Thursday to check out Houston/apartments/etc?

QofQuimica said:
I doubt that. Why would the only invite me and a couple of other people? :confused: Maybe it's more for people who are OOS or otherwise live far from Houston. I'm in FL. Are those of you who didn't get the email Texans? If they're only sending it to OOS acceptees, that would explain why so many people didn't get it.

Hm, maybe it is for applicants that they really want? I am also out of state (Washington), and haven't been invited. But I interviewed 2/24 (last day) and was just accepted 3/15. When I asked the lady at the admissions office about a second look weekend, she asked me if I had received an email, and then suggested that I email admissions with my question. Seems somewhat coy, as if it is only for selected applicants. Why don't they come straight out and say that only selected few are invited?

I'd like to go and meet my fellow prospective students, especially since it will strongly influence my choice of medical school...

MadameLULU said:
Due to funding, the syllabi will no longer be given "free of charge". We either have to print the syllabi ourselves or the curriculum office may sell it in the bookstore. I know our class is writing to letter to encourage the curriculum office to make it available at the bookstore. In addition, we will have to purchase our own METRO passes (about 50 bucks per semester).

Huh? Was this in an email or something? Does it apply to all students? I sure didn't hear about it, and no one in our class is talking about, that I know of at least.

Who is completely stoked about getting a picture with the greatest physician of all time Dr Micheal "as close to divine as the come" DeBakey!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be stopping by this April on my way to presentation for a photo opt.

GO BAYLOR, SO much better than the IVY's that US NEWS and World Report gave them two 1s :D

ms. a said:
Huh? Was this in an email or something? Does it apply to all students? I sure didn't hear about it, and no one in our class is talking about, that I know of at least.

Remember that there was a mtg with Dr. Bradshaw a couple weeks ago? Well, that was what it was about. Apparently, not many students attended, but one of classmates who went sent an email to the listserve with the issues that were discussed. If you PM me your email address, I'll fwd it to you.

QofQuimica said:
I doubt that. Why would the only invite me and a couple of other people? :confused: Maybe it's more for people who are OOS or otherwise live far from Houston. I'm in FL. Are those of you who didn't get the email Texans? If they're only sending it to OOS acceptees, that would explain why so many people didn't get it.

I got an invite to second look, and I live in Houston and work at Baylor....weird. So who all is going? When I called to ask about the weekend, they sounded sort of surprised that I was thinking about going at all...and like I said before, she implied that its less for meeting your incoming class and more for making a decision on the school....but really it all seems weird to me. why wouldnt everyone be invited? and why was i subtly discouraged from attending...i know they are trying to keep it small, but it doesnt make sense. does anyone else have any info. on this weekend or who was invited?

mdgirl2006 said:
I got an invite to second look, and I live in Houston and work at Baylor....weird. So who all is going? When I called to ask about the weekend, they sounded sort of surprised that I was thinking about going at all...and like I said before, she implied that its less for meeting your incoming class and more for making a decision on the school....but really it all seems weird to me. why wouldnt everyone be invited? and why was i subtly discouraged from attending...i know they are trying to keep it small, but it doesnt make sense. does anyone else have any info. on this weekend or who was invited?

Evidently they are offering compensation for travel expenses, so I can imagine they want to minimize their expenses... It definitely would be nice to meet more potential future classmates but it sounds like this might be geared towards students holding multiple acceptances(?)

bobob said:
Evidently they are offering compensation for travel expenses, so I can imagine they want to minimize their expenses... It definitely would be nice to meet more potential future classmates but it sounds like this might be geared towards students holding multiple acceptances(?)

do they know if we are holding multiple acceptances? bobob, are you holding multiple acceptances? is everyone who was invited holding multiple acceptances?

mdgirl2006 said:
do they know if we are holding multiple acceptances? bobob, are you holding multiple acceptances? is everyone who was invited holding multiple acceptances?

ok, i have the answer to my own question....i just called and it was sent to people who are holding multiple acceptances....

Members don't see this ad :)
Anesthesia (14)
Baylor (4)
Wash U
UTSW
UNC
Brigham & Women's (2)
Colorado
Johns Hopkins
UW
New Mexico
Jackson Memorial

Derm (5)
Baylor (2)
LSU
Washington Hospital Center
UVA

EM (4)
Texas A&M
U of Chicago
Hennepin County Med Center - MN
UTSW

Family Practice (10)

IM (29)
USC
Oregon
Emory
MGH
Baylor (9)
Wash U (5)
Cedar-Sinai
St. Luke's Roosevelt (NY)
Duke
Penn (2)
UCSD
Washington
Johns Hopkins
Pitt
Georgetown
UTSA

Med/Peds (4)
Indiana
Baylor (3)

Neurology (2)
Harvard/MGH/BWH
Baylor

Neurosurgery (4)
Baylor
UC-Davis
Penn
Loyola

Ob/gyn (10)
Baylor (4)
George Washington (2)
Colorado
Wash U
Pitt
Brigham & Women's

Ophtho (7)
Michigan
Baylor (2)
UTSW
LSU
Miami-Bascom Palmer (2)

Orthopedic surgery (4)
Duke
Baylor (2)
Texas Tech

Otolaryngology (6)
MCW
Einstein/Montefiore (2)
UTSA
Baylor
NYU

Pathology (1)
U of Chicago

Pediatrics (17)
Baylor (13)
Emory
Indiana
UCSF
Cincinnatti

Pedi Neuro (1)
Baylor

PM&R (2)
Harvard/Spaulding
Washington

Plastic Surgery (3)
Baylor (2)
Yale

Psychiatry (9)
Baylor (4)
Harvard Longwood
UTSW
MGH
CA Pacific Med Center
UNC

Radiology (8)
Allegheny Gen Hospital
Baylor (4)
UTMB
Northwestern
USC

Radiation Oncology (2)
Baylor
UT-MD Anderson

General Surgery (9)
Baylor (4)
Emory
Beth Israel (NY)
Wright Patterson Med Center AFB
UTSW
UTMB

Urology (6)
Utah
Emory
Baylor (2)
Pitt
Miami
Yale

mdgirl2006 said:
Ok, that makes sense. Are you going to go, mdgirl? I would have liked to, but no way I can.

What is the dress for second look? Suit and tie?

Ranger47 said:
What is the dress for second look? Suit and tie?
I would go for business casual. Like, wear a nice pair of pants and a nice shirt. Some people did wear suits to the Case second look, but my feeling is that the interview is over, and the suit is enjoying its well-earned retirement. :smuggrin:

lilycat said:
Anesthesia (14)
Baylor (4)
Wash U
UTSW
UNC
Brigham & Women's (2)
Colorado
Johns Hopkins
UW
New Mexico
Jackson Memorial

Derm (5)
Baylor (2)
LSU
Washington Hospital Center
UVA

EM (4)
Texas A&M
U of Chicago
Hennepin County Med Center - MN
UTSW

Family Practice (10)

IM (29)
USC
Oregon
Emory
MGH
Baylor (9)
Wash U (5)
Cedar-Sinai
St. Luke's Roosevelt (NY)
Duke
Penn (2)
UCSD
Washington
Johns Hopkins
Pitt
Georgetown
UTSA

Med/Peds (4)
Indiana
Baylor (3)

Neurology (2)
Harvard/MGH/BWH
Baylor

Neurosurgery (4)
Baylor
UC-Davis
Penn
Loyola

Ob/gyn (10)
Baylor (4)
George Washington (2)
Colorado
Wash U
Pitt
Brigham & Women's

Ophtho (7)
Michigan
Baylor (2)
UTSW
LSU
Miami-Bascom Palmer (2)

Orthopedic surgery (4)
Duke
Baylor (2)
Texas Tech

Otolaryngology (6)
MCW
Einstein/Montefiore (2)
UTSA
Baylor
NYU

Pathology (1)
U of Chicago

Pediatrics (17)
Baylor (13)
Emory
Indiana
UCSF
Cincinnatti

Pedi Neuro (1)
Baylor

PM&R (2)
Harvard/Spaulding
Washington

Plastic Surgery (3)
Baylor (2)
Yale

Psychiatry (9)
Baylor (4)
Harvard Longwood
UTSW
MGH
CA Pacific Med Center
UNC

Radiology (8)
Allegheny Gen Hospital
Baylor (4)
UTMB
Northwestern
USC

Radiation Oncology (2)
Baylor
UT-MD Anderson

General Surgery (9)
Baylor (4)
Emory
Beth Israel (NY)
Wright Patterson Med Center AFB
UTSW
UTMB

Urology (6)
Utah
Emory
Baylor (2)
Pitt
Miami
Yale

Thanks for gettin that for everyone. :thumbup:

anyone know what dayS the committee meets? Tuesdays? once a week? ... thank u for your help

QofQuimica said:
Ok, that makes sense. Are you going to go, mdgirl? I would have liked to, but no way I can.

yep! i'm going to go...anyone else definitely going? any definite consensus on clothing?

mdgirl2006 said:
yep! i'm going to go...anyone else definitely going? any definite consensus on clothing?

I agree with the business casual. That was what most people were wearing last year. I was sadly uninformed about the unspoken dress code and was thus underdressed. =P

What an impressive match list! Glad to know Baylor grads are well respected by residency directors.

hobbesiscool said:
What an impressive match list! Glad to know Baylor grads are well respected by residency directors.
Damn straight. BCM is a fantastic school.

The list looks very promising.

that IS an awesome match list. Strong work, 4th years.

I think I read in US News yesterday that BCM has moved up to the 10th ranked med school on its list...anyone else confirm?

generic said:
that IS an awesome match list. Strong work, 4th years.

I think I read in US News yesterday that BCM has moved up to the 10th ranked med school on its list...anyone else confirm?

I saw a post in the Allopathic forum (or was it pre-allo?) about the 2007 rankings and yes, we are indeed in 10th place now. Haha. I like that we can now say, "yeah BCM's in the top 10." :p

hey guys, i've interviewed at a bunches of places and have been accepted to one, but i really wanna come to baylor... do you guys think a letter of intent to the ad com would be helpful to gain admissions?...i'm kinda holdin out for a response from my nov. interview to baylor but i'm not a TX resident so i'm not sure...please let me know what you'll think? thanks :)

yes send a letter of intent. I think it will be helpful.

Miss155 said:
yes send a letter of intent. I think it will be helpful.

okay, i sent a LOI to baylor cause it's my #1 choice...have any of you heard of this working before, at baylor or any other school? funny thing is they just got my last transcript yesterday, so i can finally have any chance of hearing back in april or may...hopefully the LOI works! otherwise, i gotta go to my 2nd choice... :)

Miss155 said:
I think it worked for me.

Thanks for your advice on the LOI!...may i ask when you interviewed, when you sent one, and when you got the acceptance call, just so i have an idea of what i might expect...?

Thank you so much for your help!

interviewed on 1/6, loi the week after, acceptance 1/27

Just got back from 2nd look. I was already pretty much set on Baylor but this pretty much seals the deal I think. Dr. Villarreal, Dr. Nierken,Dr. Michael, and Dr. Phillips were all really good hosts and made us feel so welcome. I don't know what it is about Baylor but it just never fails to amaze me: I mean on top of all of their assets (new USNWR rankings have them as #10 in research!), I just feel right at home there. Every student I've met there has been intelligent but at the same time seems pretty down-to-earth and relaxed. Judging from previous posts, i'm guessing some more of you guys from SDN were there.

Things I reconfirmed today:

1)Baylor's step scores are awesome: 236 average this year! (starting clinics early apparently helps med students a lot on the boards)
2)Baylor's clinical facilities are top notch (county, VA, St. Luke's, Methodist, TCH, TIRR, Menningers, etc.)
3)Baylor students' schedules are awesome compared to most schools (8AM-12PM 3 days out of the week!, other two days they have IPS and PPS in the afternoon)
4)Tracks they have within their curriculum are awesome
5)Faculty at Baylor are quite student oriented
6)Every medical student who attends Baylor that I've met seems to love it there (basically, students are happy)
7)Tuition is insanely cheap for a private school
8)Grading system is fair (no curve, you get the grade that you earn, meaning it is possible for all of the class to get Honors in a particular subject)
9)Lots of built-in time (6 months!) for vacationing or doing electives in stuff you are interested in

I probably should take my blue tinted glasses off for a second, but seriously, what does this school not have?

So for all of you who have decided on Baylor.... here's a question... when do you plan to move to Houston... what apartments are you looking at... and how do we start the whole roommate search... does Baylor have a roommate matching deal?

For anyone interested... I'm looking at a two bedroom at lanesborough... maybe starting early July... and I'm looking for an uber cool roomie... ;)

By the way... congrats to all who have been accepted and decided to join the Baylor Class of 2010... it's going to be GREAT!!!!! I really feel like, too... for those who move to Houston a little earlier in the summer... as in before orientation at the end of July... we should get together.... so post summer plans... once you have any!! :D

hobbesiscool said:
Just got back from 2nd look. I was already pretty much set on Baylor but this pretty much seals the deal I think. Dr. Villarreal, Dr. Nierken,Dr. Michael, and Dr. Phillips were all really good hosts and made us feel so welcome. I don't know what it is about Baylor but it just never fails to amaze me: I mean on top of all of their assets (new USNWR rankings have them as #10 in research!), I just feel right at home there. Every student I've met there has been intelligent but at the same time seems pretty down-to-earth and relaxed. Judging from previous posts, i'm guessing some more of you guys from SDN were there.
Thanks for your post, hobbes. :thumbup: Will more people who attended second look post their thoughts? Help me live a little vicariously through you. :p

QofQuimica said:
Thanks for your post, hobbes. :thumbup: Will more people who attended second look post their thoughts? Help me live a little vicariously through you. :p

It was pretty sweet. Just over 20 second-lookers went. Hunter Real Estate Group talked to us for a bit - seem to be decently priced (90k and up) condos a short ride from campus. Talked to us about getting in-state tuition - basically buy a place before August 31, change your voter's registration, car title, etc. Stats quoted were 25% of students are OOS and after a couple years only 15% are. We took a bus ride around the medical center and the two student leaders (who were really cool) pointed out "Condoland" where a lot of students buy condos and some of the apartment complexes off the metro.

Also reaffirmed my previous assessment that the curriculum is great, the students I interacted with seem to have a great balance in their lives, the faculty and facilities are amazing. Oh yeah - they split us up to do rounds with docs at Children's. I was in the neonatalogy unit listening/talking to 2 residents, a 3rd year, and an attending. That was cool.

Hey question for current students,

I'm looking to get myself a place to live and scrounging around the web for places to get. The obvious choice seems to be getting a place around the medical center but the only ones there that meet my price criteria are south, towards 610, in an area I wasn't particularly a fan of. I was wondering if anyone here could comment on some of the other areas of Houston, (Montrose, Midtown etc). I'd be interested in both hearing the area is like and how easy it is to travel to baylor. (I will have a car).

etown said:
It was pretty sweet. Just over 20 second-lookers went. Hunter Real Estate Group talked to us for a bit - seem to be decently priced (90k and up) condos a short ride from campus. Talked to us about getting in-state tuition - basically buy a place before August 31, change your voter's registration, car title, etc. Stats quoted were 25% of students are OOS and after a couple years only 15% are. We took a bus ride around the medical center and the two student leaders (who were really cool) pointed out "Condoland" where a lot of students buy condos and some of the apartment complexes off the metro.

Also reaffirmed my previous assessment that the curriculum is great, the students I interacted with seem to have a great balance in their lives, the faculty and facilities are amazing. Oh yeah - they split us up to do rounds with docs at Children's. I was in the neonatalogy unit listening/talking to 2 residents, a 3rd year, and an attending. That was cool.
Awesome, thanks. :) About how far of a drive would you say the condos are? Is it possible to bike or walk if you wanted, for example?

QofQuimica said:
Awesome, thanks. :) About how far of a drive would you say the condos are? Is it possible to bike or walk if you wanted, for example?

Our "student guide" said about a 10 minute bus ride and that you could bike it (but during the summer it might be a bit toasty for that). He said people mostly take the buses from there, though, and that they are pretty reliable.

curious v said:
Hey question for current students,

I'm looking to get myself a place to live and scrounging around the web for places to get. The obvious choice seems to be getting a place around the medical center but the only ones there that meet my price criteria are south, towards 610, in an area I wasn't particularly a fan of. I was wondering if anyone here could comment on some of the other areas of Houston, (Montrose, Midtown etc). I'd be interested in both hearing the area is like and how easy it is to travel to baylor. (I will have a car).
I'm going to live at The Lanesborough next year. It's right on the rail and I know a few other students there. The rent is a little high, but since I have a roommate I'm only paying around $515 a month (still more than I've paid before). Not bad for the medical center and the convenience is worth it. Where are you guys staying? I missed the second look because I'd already made plans to visit family in NO that weekend. How many peopl here are from the Houston area? We should try to organize a gathering of students so we can all feel cool the first day when we already know people :cool:

GAMSlady said:
So for all of you who have decided on Baylor.... here's a question... when do you plan to move to Houston... what apartments are you looking at... and how do we start the whole roommate search... does Baylor have a roommate matching deal?

For anyone interested... I'm looking at a two bedroom at lanesborough... maybe starting early July... and I'm looking for an uber cool roomie... ;)

By the way... congrats to all who have been accepted and decided to join the Baylor Class of 2010... it's going to be GREAT!!!!! I really feel like, too... for those who move to Houston a little earlier in the summer... as in before orientation at the end of July... we should get together.... so post summer plans... once you have any!! :D
I think we should all get together also. I'm just hanging around various cities in Texas (and maybe New Orleans) this summer. I already live in Houston, but I'm going back to Dallas for a little while, spending some time with my boyfriend in Corpus, helping out family in New Orleans and doing some modeling (I hope) in Houston. I'm moving into lanesborough on July 15th. If I didn't already have a roomie, I'd totally take you up on the offer. Still, we should get together.

You probably will almost never drive to Baylor...but you may drive to a parking lot (one near the Lanesborough or one way down at Fannin and 610 if you live South like I do). But they cost something like $60 a month or $30 a month, respectively. That's why it might be nice to live close enough to ride the metrorail or bus ($56 dollars per semester for a Upass and you can ride all you want)

Montrose--super artsy and interesting, lots of cool little coffee shops and tattoo parlors and bistros and stuff like that. About as hip as Houston gets, but maybe too out-there for me. Also slightly more sketchy than Midtown, maybe similar to Condoland? But a different kind of sketchy...

Midtown--more of a yuppy feel, with pubs and bars and some clubs in old warehouses and stuff. One good thing about Midtown is you can live in some complexes from which you can ride the MetroRail to BCM...Midtown will be a little pricier than other options, probably.

Hobbes, you are cool. Those are all the best reasons to come to Baylor! Good luck and look forward to meeting you guys.

:cool:
Oh yeah, you CAN drive to baylor and park RIGHT OUTSIDE in these 2 parking lots on the surface that have gates. But only after 6PM on weekdays or on the weekends. I didn't find that out for a long time, so remember for when you have to come for an evening meeting or special weekend event or something.

Hi guys,

I have been around these forums for a while and really would like to attend BCM. I know about their list and its sanctity but, was wondering if any current students who got off the waitlist would you mind PMing me with anything they did or if youjust waited it out. I am assuming that I am waitlisted (hopefully not rejected) as it is already April. I am grateful that I have another option but I love BCM :love: and think it would be an incredibly cool place to train. Thanks for your insights and congrats to everyone who got in... hopefully I'll be invited to join you guy's come July.

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
I think we should all get together also. I'm just hanging around various cities in Texas (and maybe New Orleans) this summer. I already live in Houston, but I'm going back to Dallas for a little while, spending some time with my boyfriend in Corpus, helping out family in New Orleans and doing some modeling (I hope) in Houston. I'm moving into lanesborough on July 15th. If I didn't already have a roomie, I'd totally take you up on the offer. Still, we should get together.

Actually I just found a roommate... and we are moving into Lanesborough on July 1st... if all goes to plan... so great! We should definitely get together before orientation!

i'm living all by myself, moving to Kirby Place. but, i should be there mid- to early-June. i'm all up for meeting future classmates when we all finally arrive. anyone else looking at Kirby?

LaDoctorFutura said:
i'm living all by myself, moving to Kirby Place. but, i should be there mid- to early-June. i'm all up for meeting future classmates when we all finally arrive. anyone else looking at Kirby?

Kirby Place an apartment close to the TMC? i really wanna get a condo...condoland is the best bet right?

funny thing is i lived in fountain blue from ages 3-6 while my mom did her residency at baylor, and then my dad sold our 2 fountain blue properties just a few years ago...

JabsterL said:
Kirby Place an apartment close to the TMC? i really wanna get a condo...condoland is the best bet right?

no, Kirby Place is an apartment complex on Kirby Dr. Close to med center, but not on metroral line. Runs a little more expensive, but get more square footage for the price.

hey i'm looking for a male housemate if anyones interested in a cheap and relatively small room pm me,

Anyone have a clue when Baylor starts awarding merit scholarships (or if they already have)?