AZCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all! Can anyone help me make a decision regarding Laguna at Arrowhead vs Isle at arrowhead? Both complexes seem nice and it seems that the places closer to the school are either full, only have units in bad locations or are really pricey in comparison. Thanks and I would appreciate any info I can get - especially if someone has had a personal experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone on the waiting list, I've decided to withdraw my acceptance, so hopefully someone will get a call soon! Good luck with this next year! And good luck to all who are applying to schools this year!

Hi everyone on the waiting list, I've decided to withdraw my acceptance, so hopefully someone will get a call soon! Good luck with this next year! And good luck to all who are applying to schools this year!

Thanks for letting us know there's still some hope! :oops: Where'd you decide to go instead?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just would like to update everyone so were not all calling with the same question. I called today (1:15 CT) and spoke with admissions. Currently there are 130 people on the alternate list. So 10 people have been pulled from the list in the past 10 days. Hopefully this will continue to move. She did say that one person informed them this morning (see above!) that they are withdrawing so that spot will be filled from the waitlist. So in total, about 18 people have been pulled off the waitlist thus far.

Thanks for sharing the info! Hopefully the waitlist keeps on moving!! :xf:

Hey everyone so I was just accepted recently from my top choice and I just want to let everyone know that I will be withdrawing my acceptance by this weekend. AZCOM is a great school with a beautiful campus and hopefully one of you guys will be lucky enough to receive an acceptance!

Hey everyone so I was just accepted recently from my top choice and I just want to let everyone know that I will be withdrawing my acceptance by this weekend. AZCOM is a great school with a beautiful campus and hopefully one of you guys will be lucky enough to receive an acceptance!

Thanks for letting us know and good luck at Western! You're keeping the hope alive on this thread!

I'm heading out to KCOM.

Congrats! Good choice of school!

just called, as of 12:34 central time 127 people on the alternate list :xf:

Called for something else, but also found out that there are 126 on the list today.

Last edited:
Well folks, it's been real. I'm going to be calling in a few minutes to withdraw from AZCOM because I got the call from CCOM.

Good luck to everyone, and I hope to see you all out there in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the luxury on-campus apartments come with a microwave?

Random--you are the most informative person I know. Thanks for taking the time to answer all of our questions.

Called for something else, but also found out that there are 126 on the list today. So far, 21 lucky souls have gotten the call!

On a different note, has anyone actually called Dr Kemper to speak with her personally about getting off the alternate list? I am undecided and wanted to see if anyone else had experience with this.

I flew to AZCOM and met with her personally a few months ago. I'm not sure if she would consider meeting with anyone this late in the game, but it's worth a shot.

Hey Random, do you know anything about the Adobe Ridge apartments?

Random--you are the most informative person I know. Thanks for taking the time to answer all of our questions.

No problem. I know Flushot was infinitely helpful when I was an applicant so I'm just trying to pay it forward and hope somebody else will take over when I finally "retire." haha

Hey Random, do you know anything about the Adobe Ridge apartments?

Nah, I'm not really overly familiar with housing outside of that on-campus. I think it's been discussed a bit in the Facebook group though.

No problem. I know Flushot was infinitely helpful when I was an applicant so I'm just trying to pay it forward and hope somebody else will take over when I finally "retire." haha

Nah man, gotta stick around for years and years. SDN is a great way to kill time or take a study break, which I'm doing right now :D

I did a phone interview with Dr Kemper yesterday and she let me know shortly after that she decided to place me in the accepted pile!

Last edited:
Just wanted to say I was accepted this morning off the alternate list. I did a phone interview with Dr Kemper yesterday and she let me know shortly after that she decided to place me in the accepted pile! Now just need to figure out how to move to Arizona in 3 weeks! :):D

Congrats!! Jealous. How did you get to do a phone interview?

Congrats!! Jealous. How did you get to do a phone interview?

She called last night, went through a series of questions about the concerns she had with my application and then said she would let me know. I emailed her following our phone call to say thank you and she wrote me back to let me know I was accepted!

Last edited:
If you're looking for roomies etc, there are a few recent posts on 2016 FB, check it out.
ps. Are you moving from CA?

If you're looking for roomies etc, there are a few recent posts on 2016 FB, check it out.
ps. Are you moving from CA?

I didn't know you got accepted! Congrats! Last time you were talking we were both on the WL...now just me :( sigh

I just withdrew my acceptance so another person from the WL should be getting a call soon!

Randomusername, Flux, DbDan, any MS1-4's viewing this thread..

Any advice on which classes can be skipped and which are good to sit through? I'll be going to them all at the start, but I'd like to get a heads-up on which ones I can affirm are wasting my time.

Randomusername, Flux, DbDan, any MS1-4's viewing this thread..

Any advice on which classes can be skipped and which are good to sit through? I'll be going to them all at the start, but I'd like to get a heads-up on which ones I can affirm are wasting my time.

It really depends on the person, but the only classes I ever got anything out of by attending were histo (because they point stuff out on images that will come in handy for tests) and ICM (because Dr. S is awesome, not because it's vital you attend). Even then, you could easily get by and do well in both of those classes without attending as well.

Can someone remind me about AZCOM's teaching style... they have there classes set up in blocks right? Mostly lecture based but with PBL groups also?

It really depends on the person, but the only classes I ever got anything out of by attending were histo (because they point stuff out on images that will come in handy for tests) and ICM (because Dr. S is awesome, not because it's vital you attend). Even then, you could easily get by and do well in both of those classes without attending as well.

To Random's point, I will say that my learning style is such that if things are not taught in context, then I do not retain them well. I also have found that if I'm stuck teaching myself the material, I don't do nearly as well as if I have the material taught to me. I'm hopeful that the professors are able to provide a bit more insight than what the books (or lecture notes) show. But either way, if MWU is taking $50K+ of my money every year, I'd rather show up in the hopes of getting info rather than ditch out in the hopes that I'm a more capable teacher than my professors. ;-)

To Random's point, I will say that my learning style is such that if things are not taught in context, then I do not retain them well. I also have found that if I'm stuck teaching myself the material, I don't do nearly as well as if I have the material taught to me. I'm hopeful that the professors are able to provide a bit more insight than what the books (or lecture notes) show. But either way, if MWU is taking $50K+ of my money every year, I'd rather show up in the hopes of getting info rather than ditch out in the hopes that I'm a more capable teacher than my professors. ;-)

If you want lecture, AZCOM is the place to go. 6+ hours everyday, not counting lab. I don't mind the option and I quickly customized my experience, but I did tire of them harping on us that sitting in lecture was supposedly proven to be the best. I feel the school went overboard 2nd year and did not value individual time for boards studying as much as other schools, despite us literally begging them to change.

AZCOM is changing up a lot of things next year so who knows what will happen, but the school tends to force students in a certain direction in path and even though you can break from the mold quite easily if you try, they won't like it. Either way, it's your time and your money so do what you believe is best.

If you want lecture, AZCOM is the place to go. 6+ hours everyday, not counting lab. I don't mind the option and I quickly customized my experience, but I did tire of them harping on us that sitting in lecture was supposedly proven to be the best. I feel the school went overboard 2nd year and did not value individual time for boards studying as much as other schools, despite us literally begging them to change.

AZCOM is changing up a lot of things next year so who knows what will happen, but the school tends to force students in a certain direction in path and even though you can break from the mold quite easily if you try, they won't like it. Either way, it's your time and your money so do what you believe is best.
Why do you say they went overboard 2nd year? And what exactly were the students begging to have changed? My understanding is that lecture is recommended but optional.

Why do you say they went overboard 2nd year? And what exactly were the students begging to have changed? My understanding is that lecture is recommended but optional.

I'm pretty sure Flushot is partially alluding to the fact that ICM during MS2 has mandatory attendance and is something like 5 or 6 hours every Friday during fall and winter quarters, and is upped to about seven hours for the first half of spring quarter. Aside from the small part of time dedicated to the class as a whole practicing verbally doing an H&P on an imaginary patient presented by the professor and then the subsequent small-group effort to put together either a SOAP note or admit note before the end of the following week, the class is an utter waste of time (it is essentially like having a second pathology course in which most of what you cover has already been covered to some degree elsewhere). For my class, the admins also thought it a great idea to use our "free" Friday afternoon (ICM was already finished for the term) the week before finals during spring quarter to make us sit through six or seven hours of mandatory ACLS lectures. Then, they required us to attend a four-day "Intro to Clerkship" course (and I use the term "course" very loosely) during June (when our only concern should have been boards). What did the course consist of? Receiving about four hour-long lectures each day that primarily harked on professionalism (my favorite was when a certain presenter who is always late to everything, started their presentation late because they were running late as usual and the first slide they addressed was punctuality...). I'm sure there are other things I'm leaving out, but, yeah, your time = little value in the school's eyes.

Last edited:
So say, very hypothetically, that I had procrastinated getting my immunizations. Could I get them while I during orientation?

So say, very hypothetically, that I had procrastinated getting my immunizations. Could I get them while I during orientation?

Hypothetically, I almost feel as if the school couldn't care less if you have them or not during MS1/2, but yeah, save yourself the trouble and take care of it during orientation at the latest, as you won't want to once school starts.

Hypothetically, I almost feel as if the school couldn't care less if you have them or not during MS1/2, but yeah, save yourself the trouble and take care of it during orientation at the latest, as you won't want to once school starts.

Does the school offer titer draws? I can't find my immunization record :( Also don't have health insurance at the moment

Hi Everyone. I am trying to start the secondary essays for AZCOM and I am not quiet sure how to answer "why do you want to come to AZCOM or CCOM?" I applied here because they are reputable schools and good locations for me. But I need to know more about what they provide. Anyone have any suggestion on what to write about? Thank you.

Does the school offer titer draws? I can't find my immunization record :( Also don't have health insurance at the moment

I think they have a discount with one of the labs around here, but could be mistaken. I'd contact Student Services.

Hi Everyone. I am trying to start the secondary essays for AZCOM and I am not quiet sure how to answer "why do you want to come to AZCOM or CCOM?" I applied here because they are reputable schools and good locations for me. But I need to know more about what they provide. Anyone have any suggestion on what to write about? Thank you.

The reasons you've already provided are decent starting points. Peruse the school's catalog and see what else strikes your fancy for inclusion.

This is directly from the student portal:

Midwestern University has contracted with Sonora Quest Laboratories in the Phoenix Metropolitan area to facilitate this process and minimize your expenses and also to assure that the correct tests are done. If you wish to take advantage of our discount with Sonora Quest Laboratories, you will need to come to the Office of Student Services to pay for the titers and obtain a requisition form. The university provides a 2 week grace period following the start of classes to allow you to get these titers drawn. The expense of the blood titers will also be included in your financial aid package, which you will receive the first week of classes. We recommend that you wait until you have received your financial aid disbursement before you have your titers drawn. Again, you must come to Student Services first in order to take advantage of the discount.

This is directly from the student portal:

Midwestern University has contracted with Sonora Quest Laboratories in the Phoenix Metropolitan area to facilitate this process and minimize your expenses and also to assure that the correct tests are done. If you wish to take advantage of our discount with Sonora Quest Laboratories, you will need to come to the Office of Student Services to pay for the titers and obtain a requisition form. The university provides a 2 week grace period following the start of classes to allow you to get these titers drawn. The expense of the blood titers will also be included in your financial aid package, which you will receive the first week of classes. We recommend that you wait until you have received your financial aid disbursement before you have your titers drawn. Again, you must come to Student Services first in order to take advantage of the discount.

Thx dudes :thumbup: T-13 days until Orientation >_>

I really want to go here for medical school! What are my chances?

3.5ish cGPA, 3.0ish sGPA, 24Q MCAT (for sure retaking Aug 23)

My stats are low, but I have great ECs and LORs (including one from a DO). Other than the stats, I do believe I am a good candidate but I could be completely wrong.

Please HELP!

Thanks in advance!

I really want to go here for medical school! What are my chances?

3.5ish cGPA, 3.0ish sGPA, 24Q MCAT (for sure retaking Aug 23)

My stats are low, but I have great ECs and LORs (including one from a DO). Other than the stats, I do believe I am a good candidate but I could be completely wrong.

Please HELP!

Thanks in advance!

If you could really bring up that MCAT, it could potentially offset your low sGPA. You likely need to significantly improve both though.

If you could really bring up that MCAT, it could potentially offset your low sGPA. You likely need to significantly improve both though.

By how much do I need to improve the MCAT score and sGPA? My sGPA will only change once Fall 2012 grades are posted. Do I really have no chance at all here or any DO school?

By how much do I need to improve the MCAT score and sGPA? My sGPA will only change once Fall 2012 grades are posted. Do I really have no chance at all here or any DO school?

Couldn't tell you anything more than to shoot for the averages of matriculants from recent classes (on the website).

Certainly there's always the chance (say you've had a strong upward trend in science classes and you're just being drug down by a poor freshman year) here and elsewhere, but you'd need to apply very, very broadly with a 24 and a 3.0 (plenty of in depth discussions on this sort of situation in the "what are my chances" page), because either can hold back an otherwise good app. Best bet is to try and do well on your MCAT retake, then focus on fall term.

Just got an interview invite, but I'm not really familiar with the area. Can anyone help me out with some suggestions about housing? Will I need to rent a car?