AZCOM Class of 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, I got the orientation schedule letter today. For all you out of state, you should get it in a couple of days. Basically, the orientation is 3 days of eating, talking, and getting to know eachother (or more accurately, wasting time). My advisor has yet to call me and I am bloated like a blimp, so I'll cut this post short. Peace.

Members don't see this ad.

Jhug--

I'm a second year at AZCOM, or will be this fall. :) Just wanted to answer your question regarding the note-taking service. We dont' have any sort of formal note-taking service here -- it's not needed. The professors produce all of our note-packets, and if you go to class, all you have to do is highlight and write in little extra notes and things if it helps you. They put these note packets in your student mailbox a couple of days before their lecture, so it's up to you if you attend their lecture. Some prof's only give out their lecture packets in class, so if you're not one to attend class, you have to have a buddy pick it up for you. They hired a professional note-taker a couple of years ago for neuro -- I haven't heard of anything like that since then though.

From your previous posts, I see that you will be living on campus. My wife and I too live on campus.

Adam

Does anyone know what, for years 1 and 2, our daily schedule of classes, labs, and other required activities will look like? I think that the first 2 quarters are more or less 8:00 to 5:00 and after that the classes end earlier in the day, but I don't know how much earlier or what MS2 involves.

Also, if anyone has more info on Medicaid/Access, I'd love to hear it. It never occurred to me to investigate before I stumbled on a posting mentioning it.

BTW, I'm married with a 2 yr old son and 4 month old daughter. Have worked in the marketing research (wine, primarily) and internet worlds in San Francisco before coming to AZ where my husband started a PhD program 2 years ago. We have a house in south Scottsdale.

Also, did any of the other married-with-children overextended maniacs sign up for work study as a financial aid component? I didn't, thinking I would have no time for anything other than school and family, but am now wondering if I'll end up doing some of the stuff anyway (as part of clinical training?) and just not getting paid for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should sign up for work-study if you qualify for it. Since we will all have to do "something extra" to be competitive for residency we all will probably be doing some type of volunteering or research. The fin aid dept. said that if we volunteer off campus such as the Red Cross or various hospitals we will get $10.00 an hour for work-study. So that comes to only 3-4 hrs. per week to reach the max. work-study $ allowed. However, if you do something on campus (research, tutor) you get $8.00 and hour.

Also, with so many of us that have kids, is there anybody out there who plan to have their significant others stay at home? My wife is planning to procure employment somewhere and we will be in need of a babysitter. My wife and I would both rather pay money to struggling students who need the money than an overbusy day care center. :)

Does anyone know what, for years 1 and 2, our daily schedule of classes, labs, and other required activities will look like?
Here is a link from the AZCOM "Interact Now" site. It has the schedule for all of the MWU programs for the 2003-2004 year.

Schedule

I am doing work study, does anyone have an idea about some of the actual off campus/community service stuff we can do??? brianjc, you mentioned Red Cross and various hospitals, do you know what we could do with these orgs.?

THanks much for the link, which is useful. However, what I'm actually after here is when we finish classes at the end of the day. For example, do we always go to 5:00 for the entire first two years?

Maybe this info is somewhere in your link, but I couldn't find it.

ah, sorry:)

I am curious about that myself. I wonder if it WILL be just like the handout we got in our interviews?

As far as off campus work study I think it is fairly flexible. The fin aid counselor said that for the red cross we could teach classes and I'm not sure exactly what the responsibilities were for the different hospitals. However, she said that she had a list of not-for-profit organizations that were already set up for students to get work study hours for.

As far as scheduling, a second year told me during my interview that we are only in class late 2 or 3 days a week. Also, our schedule changes everyday since we all will rotate in and out of lab times. I think lab days were there til five and non-lab days til 1 or 2. But I'm not exactly sure.

I notice a bunch of you are on the AF/Military bill. After signing what seemed like my life away to lenders this week I am curious to know more about the military programs. What kind of commitment is expected from you? What kind of specialties are you limited to, if any? How much will they pay? And anything else that you think is pertinent.

thanks, Troy

Tmarkus,

You really want to get your info from current doctors who have done the program. Although the scholarship was tempting for myself (as I don't like the look of that loan total either), I realized that in the long run the loan really isn't too bad, compared to being stationed in Bahrain, or Adac (spelling?) Alaska, or some other hole in the wall. Having spent way too much time at sea, you can't put a price on happiness (which means living in a good location).

There is actually a very good post on the military scholarships in the financial aid section of the student doctor forums...you may want to do a search for it. The pros and cons are explained very well in the post, as numerous people who are doing or have done the program posted replies.

Having spent 6 years in the navy myself, and speaking with numerous doctors that did the program, I realized there is a lot more to the program then whats let on by recruiters. Keep in mind my opinion is shaped by my experience in the Navy. I don't know much about the other armed forces experiences.

All I'm saying is be cautious about what info you get from students, as they don't all have the total picture yet. I do realize that some students really do know what they're getting into(as I've noticed some are active/former military too), however most students don't.

TMarkus,

I was just released from active duty AF to utilize the HPSP for school. I would be glad to discuss my experiences with you if you'd like. Of course, I can only comment on the Air Force.

Cyndi

Troy,
I'm coming to AZCOM on the Navy HPSP. I've been in the Navy for 13 years and although I'm getting discharged next month to start school, I already am anxious to get back out to the Navy. I entered the Navy as an enlisted nuclear reactor plant mechanic, the Navy paid for college and made me an officer, sent me to flight training, gave me a high performance jet to fly for 8 years, and now is sending me to medical school.

The Navy has sent me and my family all over the world. I fly the EA-6B Prolwer, an aircraft carrier based jet, and was stationed in Japan (just outside Tokyo) for 3 years. While in Japan, I was deployed for nearly 18 months out of 36 months assigned to my squadron, onboard the USS KITTY HAWK. Yes I was gone a lot, but did some great things. I flew combat missions in Iraq and have visited nearly every major city in the Pacific Rim (by the way, Australia is everything they say it is, a fantastic country, been to both Sydney and Perth)...Singapore, Hong Kong, Guam, Korea, Thailand (into the jungles in the north), United Arab Emerites, Bahrain, and Saudi Arabia; each location numerous times. Plus my wife has traveled to the middle east to visit me, to Thailand, Guam, and all over Japan.....all courtesy of the Navy. Sure, deployments can be difficult and challenging for the service member and the family, but there's a sense of purpose in one's mission and duties that I believe most jobs cannot provide. Where else do you execute a direct order from the President of the U.S. to protect our great country?

Many folks focus simply on the "away" times of the various services. I saw them as adventures and I can't wait to get back out to the fleet after med school. My wife enjoys Navy life, she balances the "away" time with the benefits. She loves to travel and enjoys the benefits of the housing, medical and dental coverage, the commissary, etc., not to speak of the comraderie and friendship of military members and spouses.

As you can tell, I won't be one to talk you out of military service. If you take the scholarship, it's only 4 years. Four years to serve your country and to gain a level of experience that most don't.

Many who have issues with military life walk into it with erroneous misconceptions. The core concept of military service is "we", not "I". It's a team and not every one can get their way. If you want to get into dermatology and the Navy doesn't need dermatologists, then you might not get offered a derm residency, but rather one in FP or IM, or whatever is needed. Or you can skip a Navy residency and do a civilian one, there's many options. Timing and needs of the service pay major roles.

I could go on longer, but this post is too long already. I feel I have a very good idea what military service is about, as I've "been there and done that" and have served with many Navy docs (and picked their brains extensively). I'd be more than glad to talk more when we meet at school.

As Shane mentioned, my opinion too is based on my experiences and I've been fortunate to have many positive experiences with the Navy.

Todd,

When did you attend Nuke Power School? I too was a nuke, however, I was picked up as an ELT.....small world I guess. I'm currious as to where you were stationed as a Nuke. I was on the U.S.S. California.

It really sounds like you've enjoyed your experiences in the Navy, and I concur about Australia:)

I think it takes a special breed to be a career man in the nav. Perhaps as an officer you have a little different experience, but being out to sea away from the family is the same whether your enlisted or an officer, and I suppose I love things like Mountain Biking, golfing, playing football, basketball (not on the non-skid of a ship's deck where a good pitch or roll makes a sure shot clank on the rim) and softball too much. Sure we enjoyed those activities when we pulled into port, however, as a nuclear ship, those port calls were spaced 3-4 weeks apart. Oh, and of course the wonderful GQ drills and Nuke Power Plant drills were a blast. Don't get me wrong I don't regret the Nav at all, it made me what I am today, however, I think too many guys simply do it for the money, rather then looking at the big picture.

I just try and get everyone to look at the big picture, and not so much at the money factor.

Shane
AZCOM 2007

Members don't see this ad :)
Shane,
I went to Nuke School (MM2) in 1990 and Prototype at Idaho Falls at S5G before she shut down. After prototype, I went straight to the BOOST program and then to college on the ECP program, so I didn't go to sea as an enlisted sailor, just as an officer. The life of an officer has few similarities to that of an enlisted sailor, such a different world and perspective. While the shipboard sailors were running drills, I was airborne experiencing the physical and mental strain of the flight regime: training, combat, bad weather, aircraft malfunctions, etc. We all endured our own pain, it was different level of responsibility, accountability, and expectation of performance. The job is very different. You know what I mean, consider your CHENG or XO.

I concur, your motivation for the military cannot be for money, it must be for service to our great country combined with an interest in the military. I'm not a recruiter, nor intent to be one. Those interested in signing into a HPSP contract must look beyond the immediate financial gain/opportunity and decide if military service would fit their interest and lifestyle. I've met several Navy docs who signed onto the scholarship simply for the monetary value and didn't enjoy military life, thus they had negative attitudes and simply gutted through their 4 year obligation, making those around them miserable...no one likes an officer with a rotten attitude or disposition. My opinion is they signed the dotted line for the incorrect reasons (or at least didn't put enough thought into what they decided to get involved with). Yet I've met others who absolutely loved Navy life, love treating Navy servicemembers, enjoy getting catapulted off the flight deck in an F-14 Tomcat or hitting the beaches with Marines when they were not in the clininc or ER, simply enjoying the adventure and thrill.

Those of you considering the HPSP (military scholarship), make sure to talk with officers/physicians in the service you're considering. Don't simply take the recruiters word for it. They work hard and try to answer your questions the best they can, but they don't have all the answers. The military isn't for everyone and that's okay, just make sure you understand what you're signing up to do.

Shane, I look forward to meeting you in a few short weeks.

Todd

I think you nailed it down perfectly. There are some adventures, and the thought of "military" life must be the first thought when considering the scholarship. However, it certainly isn't all adventures, and it really is too easy to get caught up in the money. Heck, I seriously considered it myself, but realized I just wouldn't be happy to be back in the military. I just believe there are too many restrictions, and you truely are U.S. government property. They will put you where they need you!

Todd, I was stationed at S5G in 1994. There was only 3-5 classes after mine before they shutdown that prototype. I actually loved Idaho Falls. Was great to drive 20 minutes to Kelly Canyon to ski, fish the Snake River, and run around that trail path in the middle of town. I actually hope to either do a rotation up there or perhaps move there again someday.

Your right about the responsibility. I would hate to have the CHENG'S job. I bet that poor guy averaged 4 hours of sleep per night, and I was on a guided missle cruiser. I can't even imagine what it would be like on a carrier when the nuke plant isn't neccesarily the top priority. I always heard those poor nukes on the carriers had to dance around the flight guys schedules.

Definitely looking forward to talking with ya Todd.

Shane

My loan seeking vent:
My fianc?e had a nice savings ready for the first quarter and a half that I would be in school and she would be finishing up nursing school, By January, we will be OK with her working and such. But, Murphy?s Law strikes! A certain short, but expensive, chain of events has left us with ...oh, not so much. Here?s the kicker, we applied for private loans and they wouldn?t accept us because my fianc?e was literally ?a few points? from the score cutoff (and she has pretty good credit.). It?s funny how these loan places just assume that one?s parents have good credit too. Ours don?t! I can?t believe that it is this hard to get a loan for MEDICAL SCHOOL:mad:. I just think that it is wrong to view anyone attending a professional program like the average money needin? Joe. I didn?t even ask for that much (5K). The T.H.E. private loan was probably our closest thing to a shot as we will be able to get, because according to them the cosigner needs only a good score and debt to income don?t factor in (since she?s a student with undergrad debt, D:I really hurts).
And I thought I was gonna be able to start the year with relative ease.:) I must have left a karma snail-trail in a past life

Chuck,
I feel your pain. I have a wife and 3 y.o. daughter and am quitting my job to attend school. I'm on the HPSP scholarship, but that doesn't do much for paying for the cost of living and supporting a family. With the FA budget of $50,500 and the scholarship valued at $47,500, I can only get $3K a year for loans to support the family. The wife will hit the streets working 40+ hours a week and the daughter sent to day care to support my efforts. I know there will be many in our class in the same situation.

I concur, why is it so difficult for a medical student to get financial support?? Why cap us at a budget?? Dictated by law? I don't know. We are all making great sacrifices to enter this great profession and the money should be decent once we graduate, hence spot us some dough now so we can exhaust our efforts in our studies, not digging change out of our furniture and getting excited when we find a quarter on the sidewalk.....

I have heard the line from FA offices "If you live like a doc while a student, you'll live like a student as a doc," so much I want to yak. I don't think most are aiming to live like rockstars during school, just want enough to get by without sweating the money side.

I'm sure there's a reason, I just don't know the why as of yet. Anyone have a good answer??

Things to do: 1) get your credit score (2) apply to other financial insitutions (sp) remembering that each has its own specific cut off credit score. There are millions of lenders out there willing and waiting to loan you money. Some good ones to consider in this case are: Sallie mae, Nellie Mae, and NOW loans. Same thing I went through, but survived--I am now a MS IV. Trust me, it will go well and before you know it . . . you will be a fourth year

Just keep in mind that even if you do get approved for a private loan you still cannot go over the allowable budget determined by the financial aid office. I have checked dozens of private loans, and they all require certification from the school attended. This means that the loan money is first distributed to the school and then to you. So no matter what the school will know that you have recieved aid from other sources and will lessen the amount of goverment aid (the good loans) that you will get.

I myself am married and have a one year old. The thing that frustrates me is that if my wife works (which she'll have to), MWU is more than willing to let us go into additional debt in the amount of $180.00 per week for daycare. Hell, that's an additional $720.00 a month, why don't they just give us that much more a month for our budget? And by the way they are not giving us a damn thing, it's us that is going into debt. I do appreciate the sense of financial responsibility that they are trying to force on us, however, not all of us are the traditional single male students with rich parents who are giving us all the financial support imaginable.

Thanks for reading! That felt good to vent!

Brianjc,

I concur wholeheartedly. I didn't know about the increase for child care, I'll have to look into that. See you soon.

Todd,

The max they will give you for child care is ~ $180.00 a week. But you have to have your kid in child care already and have the day care sign off on how much it is. Also, since you have a family you can appeal your budget to get more money for rent each month. The fin. aid counselor didn't specify how much more you would get, but they made it sound like if your spouse was working and your kids are in daycare they would be more willing to work with you and give you additional funds than if your spouse stayed at home with the kids.

In order to do this you just need to obtain an appeal form from the fin. aid office. The committee that appeal goes to meets only once a month so the earlier you can get it done the better. Also, make sure and appeal for everything you can think of. I say this because there are two catagories for the appeals process, emergency and non-emergency. Child care and more living expenses are non-emergency and can only be appealed once a school year. Of course emergency (car problems etc...) appeals can be many times throughout the year.

Brian,
Thank you very much for the info. I will indeed pursue an appeal request.
Todd

Hi guys! It sounds as though you are having the same difficulties as me... at this point, I have resigned myself to the fact that I will have to work part time to supplement living expenses. I guess what I get frustrated about the most is the govt. They were willing to pay me more active duty with a family, but when I need the extra money the most, it is capped out. I just don't understand how they justify paying a single person the same amount as a person with a family to support. I have written my advisor at the Air Force Institute of Technology about my disappointment, but I have not received a response yet. I am just hoping that something will come through before school starts. I really had hoped to get more educational loans, but the FA office will not authorize it. Therefore, the only other option I have is to pursue a private loan through the Air Force Credit Union. The downside is that repayment begins immediately.

Wishing everyone the best of luck with their dilemmas.

Cyndi

It's interesting how everyone is going through the same thing at the same time. What a frustration! If the max amout AZCOM allows us to borrow is $52,000 and $32,000 goes to tuition and fees, then they are saying that we can live on approximately $20,000/ yr. Am I crazy or is that below the poverty line? And more, the FA dept. won't certify anything more than $52K. My wife and I have looked for all kinds of solutions. I picked up a petition and talked to one of the FA ladies. The petition is a joke. Unless you have a major catastrophe or large financial burdens due to a large family, etc. (excluding debt payments), don't plan on getting much. As far as they are concerned, the only person they take into consideration is the student. They will not adjust for dependents unless you have severe circumstances. I don't understand that mentality. We are legally responsible for our dependents, so why can't we borrow more?

The only thing I can think of to defend their position is that 4 years of $52,000/yr is a lot of money in the long run. What they fail to understand is that only a pathetic $20,000 a year goes to the student's living expenses.

Where's Niki? Lets ask her how she did it!

Being the antagonist in this story (i.e. the traditional, single male with parents willing to give me extra money if needed) I feel the need to question something.

Why is it that any of you feel the federal government or the University should give you extra money just because you are married and have children? It was your CHOICE to get married, to start a family, and to pursue graduate education. Nobody forced these decisions on you. It would seem completely unfair to me if you did receive extra federal or university EDUCATIONAL loans or grants just because you were married, or because you didn?t want your spouse to work, or because you don?t want your children in daycare.

Both sets of my grandparents as well as my parents worked their way through undergraduate AND graduate school. All of them maintained jobs while going to school, were married, and had children (my maternal grandmother had 6 children). They never received EXTRA aid nor were they ever on welfare (and they still managed to send their kids to private schools). They worked hard, supported each other and got by.

Also, I have a friend, who is a black, single parent (she has no siblings and her mother passed away?she never knew her father). She receives the Stafford loans and whatever other additional loans she can get (no scholarships or grants). She attends Vanderbilt medical school, works on the weekends, sends her daughter to daycare?and I have NEVER once heard her complain.

Just something to think about...

A filing of petition, upon approval, would extend your FA. I am a non-traditional w/ a working wife and three dependents--and I got extended FA to cover child care and housing (mortgage).

Irish

I have worked full-time since I was sixteen years old. In fact I have been on my own and not under any parental care since I was sixteen. As such I have worked my way through high school and undergrad full-time. I am not asking anyone for a handout! My wife is not going to stay at home and we are not on any govt. assistance and never will be! We know that it was our choice to get married, have a kid, and still pursue medical school. We know where our responsibilities lie! However, it is not unreasonable that we should ask to go into extra personal debt to pay for such things as daycare and whatever else we deem necessary! Good for your grandparents! I respect them. They sound like good decent hard working people. But what I don't respect is people who pass judgements when they lack the necessary perspective!

:mad:

What my grandparents AND parents did is admirable, as is what you are doing (I respect you for it). I have NO problem with you obtaining loans or extra money in order to pay for daycare or other basic, necessities of life. I'm not saying that one should give up a dream of having a wife and children just because that person also dreams of becoming a doctor. What bothered me was that people want funds, earmarked for EDUCATIONAL reasons, for these necessities. My father is the president of a bank here in Chicago. After talking to him, he said he knew of a number of couples who obtained alternative loans (i.e. NON-educational loans) for the very things that you talk of.

In response to your last statement, by no means was I passing any sort of JUDGEMENT! I was questioning why anyone thought they "deserved" extra Federal or University educational money for the mere fact of being married, having children, or because they didn't want their spouse to work. These institutions are there to support us, the students, while we are in school--not our families.

what I don't respect is people who pass judgments when they lack the necessary perspective!

In regards to this statement, I find it interesting that you make it, not knowing me or my "perspective!"

Irish, you are correct, I made a very conscience decision to enter into marriage and to have children, therefore I take full responsiblity. I also made a very conscious decision to apply and accept admissions to med school. No one held a gun to my head and nothing was done without my full consent and agreement.

I believe I can speak for all the married with kids folks on this topic by saying that nowhere in our discussion/venting did we ask for extra special consideration.

No one is asking for handouts or welfare, as we know whatever debt we incur now we'll be paying back in the near future. The initial question arose seeking an explanation of "why?" the budget was such an immoveable boundry? Simply to "assist" us in managing our financial debt? Is that why or is this dictated by law? Budgetting money is a part of our daily lives, as my financial decisions don't only affect me, but affect my wife and children; sometimes with immense consequences.

I simply think we all are amazed at how difficult it is to receive money to support ourselves.....I thought I had more personal input/decision to manage my own financial needs, not dictated so strongly by the school itself.

We're simply working through the initial shock, so please bare with us.

The school sets the COA at 50.5K or whatever it is. You aren't allowed to go over that? I had no idea. In that respect, I agree with your griping then. I thought that was just a figure they used to determine Federal Aid. I didn't realize it affected how much you could borrow overall (federal and private). I wonder why they warn us not to "live like doctors," if the amount we can borrow is so set? Nonetheless, I agree with y'all--it is stupid!

Thank you for the clarification ToddE.

I also wanted to say that I am by no means a confrontational person. I don't start fights nor intentionally insult or upset people. My earlier post was simply a question; I didn't mean it to come across as derogatory in any way. If it did, I am sorry!

On a lighter note, about a month 'till orientation begins... :clap:

Yeah, in a month we will be "discussing" the finer points of A & P, Biochem, Histology, and OMM. "But I thought you said this one was the Psoas major?" How different all our lives will become. The troubles and concerns we have now will take a back seat to the troubles and concerns we have regarding the effects of glucagon in a fasting state and the muscles of the forearm. Hang in there everyone.

xoxo,
troy

I for one will be much happier when irish and I can sit down and bitch about the in's and out's of metabolic pathways instead of money! It's going to be very interesting when we all get together and learn of each's history, background, and perspective on life. I'm just as excited about meeting new and different people as I am about starting school. I too am not a confrontational person (well my wife might think so), so I'm sorry for my post. Judgement was not the right word!

Also, I'll be down there on the 19th. So if anyone needs help moving in on a later date I'd love to come help carry the heavy stuff!

I have a solution to our family financial woes. It is called a pyramid scheme! Just kidding.

I am with you all on the hardship of having a family and paying for school. The last thing we want to have to worry about each day is $$$ to pay rent and be able to eat. 20K makes it a bit tough for a family to live.

There are other sources that will loan you money. Just avoid the ones that say "we break thumbs if you are late on a payment."

B

I liked you guys much better when you were fighting. Please, a little less corn, more reality.

LOL :laugh:

Let me guess, you want to be a surgeon?

Does a contact hour = a real hour or something else? If it equals a real hour judging by our schedule we will be very busy little bees during our 10 week quarter. 30 hours a week of just class/lab time? Hmmmm, when do we get to eat and sleep? I really feel for those of you with families to maintain. Brave. Of course, they will hold you up when you are too tired and feed you when you are hungry. Oh yeah, I started the "House of God" again:

"How to Stay Human."

1)Live. there is no other purpose
2)Learn the science of Medicine. learn the science to practice the art
3)Choose teachers and models who are human. Compassion and knowledge are different. Cultivate both.
4)Be with patients. It is why we are doing this
5)Choose a training program for its humaneness. Let's hope we did and that it is user friendly.
6)Choose the location of your training with awareness of the life qualities. We may end up living there (except for the summers)
7)Open up to the whole spectrum of the healing arts. Many holistic methods are as useful as traditional Western ones.
8)Live your understanding, no matter what. Speak out against injustice
9)Be open to the forces of compassion in the world. Act compassionately and others will follow
10)Act locally, think globally. We must break the cycles of brutality and injustice. Lead by example, one person can make a difference.

Paraphrased from
HOUSE OF GOD

Right on the money Irish79. Obviously TMarkus has not realized the new "less corn, more reality" theme. I also have another complaint, what is up with all this LECOM crap. Every freakin thread has a LECOM label. Do these people think their fathers own this forum? We are such a humble school, one AZCOM class thread and one AZCOM question thread. Common people, lets go psycho like LECOM. This is probably the only form of advertisement their school can afford. And while we are on the topic of reality, what about the "Rocco" show. Is it me, or is the guy a chef? One of his staff (a fruitcake) had the nerve to say that being a server is only second to surgery in terms of stress. Give me a break. Talk about reality TV gone fantasy. Right about now, being a member of a former government in Iraq is not the least stressful job (ask oode and koose). Oh, I don't want anyone here replyiing that they use to be a server and it was stressful. I don't care. Peace and love for AZCOM, but no more LECOM :love:.

I was thinking that exact same thing, just the other day (well the part about there being an offal lot of LECOM threads).

If anything goooooober, you do make me laugh!

Yeah, it was late and I was bored. Next time I will just yell BUMP. I will be sure to serve wine with the next cheese post.

So, that said who is throwing the first party?

-T

Originally posted by TMarkus
Does a contact hour = a real hour or something else? If it equals a real hour judging by our schedule we will be very busy little bees during our 10 week quarter. 30 hours a week of just class/lab time? Hmmmm, when do we get to eat and sleep? I really feel for those of you with families to maintain. Brave. Of course, they will hold you up when you are too tired and feed you when you are hungry.

Yeah - a contact hour does really equal a real hour. So it says you have 80 or so hours of contact time in biochem per 10 week quarter = 8 hours biochem per week. Some days you may get out of anatomy lab early, some days you may get out late, but it averages out. OMM may get out a little early some days, so Wednesdays may be shorter than 5:30 pm.

:)

ROTATIONS ARE GREAT! That's what I'm in now after 2 years of misery. Oh wait, I mean - 2 years of FUN - JOYOUS FUN!

It goes fast, I promise!

kristin
MS III
AZCOM

PARTYYYYYYYY!!!:clap: :clap:

For people with spouses and/or children:

I got my annual budget increased the last 2 years. How? I have a child in child care. I filled out the budget appeals form (it's just a hoop - just do it) and then turned in the receipt for child care. I then got extra for that amount. I have a friend with a new baby and they get something like $800/month for their nanny. Same sort of deal. You will be taking out more loans in the end, but that's the way to do it to pay for child care.

You can also go OUTSIDE the school loan system and get a Chela loan. I got one of those. I had to have my mom cosign because we didn't have good enough credit to get it on our own, but those of you with decent credit and one of the people in the marraige working may be able to get it on your own. Go to the Chela website or call them (the number's on the website). The loan was the type that you don't need the school to approve in any way. I talked to them on the phone and they totally walked me through the whole thing. There's a few tricks in the application process (like you need to say you are half time) before the right screen pops up on the website. It's bizarre.

In any case, Chela is a source, as is Plato (they're owned by Wells Fargo). I FINALLY got this info out of the Fin aid department last year when I went to them and said they either had to help me or I would drop out to pay bills. And then they only gave me the names of those companies.

Good luck everyone. I feel your pain!

Hi Everyone!
I completely forgot about this site until a few days ago. I've been reading through and it is so comforting to know that quite a few other people are going through similar situations. It seems like I'm the odd woman out -- I'm not married and don't have kids, although I'm still debating on whether or not to bring my cat. I've been working as a biomedical research associate for the past 2 years. I'm coming from California. I'm 23 (from what I've read so far, I guess that makes me one of the young un's -- which might not be a bad thing.) I can't wait to start at AZCOM. I'm going to be living up in Strayhorse. They are wonderful apartments. I totally recommend them to anyone who is looking for a place to live. I love to meet new people and I can't wait to meet all of you. I'd like to get to know all of you before then if possible. Feel free to contact me using the information in my profile. It'd be great to hear from any of you.

Hey, has anyone heard from their big bro/sis? I'm really nervous about starting school, and would like to have someone with some experience to talk with!

Am I the only one who did NOT receive the orientation packet yet? I would like to think it is the New Orleans' mail system and not the school. I think giving the packet two weeks to arrive is more than enough time. Frustrating. And the person in the admissions office who answers the phone isn't the most pleasant person I have talked with. Perhaps I caught her on a bad day......The last couple times I called. "Glass half full, glass half full......"
B:mad:

I know what you mean about the lady in the admissions office. She has been in a perpetual bad mood since I was accepted. However, once when I called, she found out I was from IL and she SUDDENLY became much nicer (she is originally from here). I feel like every time I call now I should start with, "Hi, I'm from IL...?

As for the orientation packet, I think I received it a couple of weeks ago.

I too have had issues with the admissions office phone lady. She wasn?t as much rude to me as she was just really short and hurried. She made me feel like my issues were really un-important and wasting her time.

Burly B,
I would definitely call the office of student services?much more pleasant to talk to. Perhaps they got a number in the zip wrong or something? I could always scan them and email them to you, or fax it if you would like.

I feel like every time I call now I should start with, "Hi, I'm from IL...
:laugh:

On the admission section of the AZCOM website, it says:

For the class that matriculated in the fall of 2003, AZCOM received nearly 2,000 applications for its 140 seats.

Is that the official total--we have 140 people in our class?

well my wife and i arrived sunday....i don't want to have to make the drive again but it was nice-- this place is WONDERFUL!!!!!! and suprisingly not as hot as we expected. Our apartment (on-campus) is more than perfect!!!! Our phone has worked from day one and we are linked to the entire school...if i need anything i just dial the 4 digit extension. The computer support guys just set up my CABLE internet, my kids have been watching nick and the cartoon network while we unpack.....they even supply our light-bulbs!!!!!! and everything i just mentioned is included in the rent!! The whole place is gated and i can let anyone in through my phone...they call and i hit 9 and the gate opens up!!! this is sweet!!!!!
anyway, the school is great and excited for us to arrive. i got my id badge today and can't wait to meet everyone. For those that are here/arriving, we should plan a little get-together at the club-house!!

It really isn't that hot? Our paper said it was 105? F today in AZ(maybe that is the same as the 80? with humidity here in Chicago--not TOO bad).

You make the apartments sound quite nice. I will be interested to see them when I move in (since I don't really remember much about them from my interview). I still have 2 weeks until I leave for AZ. How long did it take you guys to drive there? Was driving with three babies a challenge?

the kids were great and really made it easy....we broke the drive into two days and that helped too. i think the reason why it doesn't seem too bad heat-wise is bc i expected it to be an awful he!! smothering type heat...i wouldn't go lay out or play soccer but it didn't kill us while we unpacked and do our shopping. i would suggest getting here just as soon as possible. There is a ton to do (just getting organized) and i would hate to have to worry about classes on top of all this. Good luck getting here!!