AZCOM Class of 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone remember what kind of equipment is in the exercise room on campus? Anyone like to lift weights? I could always use a spot...haha...

Fred

Members don't see this ad.

Have any of you read "Severed Trust" by Dr. Lundberg? I'm reading it right now and it's eye opening, to say the least. Any comments?

Fred

i don't have ANYTHING from the school yet. has everyone received their fa stuff already??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi jhug. I haven't received anything from the school yet either. But I'm not too worried though. It is just a little unnerving thinking that school begins in a little over a month, and I haven't a clue as to how I will support my family.

azmedstudent, I would suggest taking the scholarship as well if you like the military. I received the four year one but was unable to attend COT this summer. Maybe we will be assigned to the same class next summer though. The AF lifestyle is a great one. As a matter of fact, it's been a little difficult adjusting to the civilian lifestyle once again after the past three years of active duty.

Lucky, I totally feel like a lazy slob. I haven't read too much of anything this summer except the daily newspaper. I thought that I would just take it easy and spend time with my family. But I sure do admire you for your commitment to literature.

Looking forward to meeting everyone. If anyone needs help getting settled in, let me know.

Cyndi

I was thinking I wouldn't have to get AZ plates or registration if I kept my parent's address as my "permanent address." Does the license/registration change only apply if we are actually going to officially move to Arizona? Or does it apply to anyone that will be there longer than 7-months (e.g. a student)?

I went to undergrad in Wisconsin but was able to keep my Illinois license/registration/insurance. I don't know if this was due to IL and WI having a reciprocity agreement or if I was actually just doing something illegal for the last four years.

As for school information, I haven't heard anything either (other than about financial aid). I would imagine we would be getting something very soon. On the "Interact Now" portion of the Midwestern website, there was a post that said the tentative date for the white coat ceremony was Oct. 10th. BUT WHO KNOWS!

I hope everyone's summer is still going well. I just talked to one of my friends at UW who started her 3rd year rotations last week?in nuerosurgery?and it only added to my excitement to start.

Okay, keep me up-to-date on any further ?issues? with moving to Arizona.

Lata?,
Matt

I am curious about the plates thing too. I have university plates from my undergrad univ. I "think" that I can keep those and just pay the yearly fee for the plates...but I don't know for sure either.

Does anyone know if the $2000 that we paid goes toward out first "year" tuition, or our first "quarter" tuition? I hope 1st quarter, but probely not huh?

My parents keep asking me that too. I swear I read somewhere that it was towards our first quarter--but I cannot figure out where I read it.

I just talked with Tamy in F.A. The $2000 does go towards our 1st quarter. This is cool because this can help to cover some of the "fees" that will be charged to our 1st quarter and not split into 3 quarters.

Do you think books will really cost $3000? That just seems like such a HUGE amount to me. Or do you think that includes other stuff too (e.g. steth, diagnostic kit, etc.)? Or that stuff could be included in lab / personal fees. I was trying to figure the breakdown they provided with financial aid, and I'm not sure how they figure some things.

Nonetheless, thanks for the information about the tuition. My parent's will be happy to hear the news.

I sure hope that they don't cost that much...maybe they're calculating it for if we bought every book for every class???

bla-- i'm sure that is how they broke it down....at least i hope!
If we bought every book suggested i imagine it could hit the thousand(s) mark (i spent well into the hundreds on stupid undergrad books!!!)

A quick question on the $500 fine for not updating your registration/license in az if you are from out of state---how would the cop ever know how long you've been there?? (unless of course you are ultra-honest and tell him) I believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtueous, and of good report....but if a cop pulls me over in my eighth month there i have no qualms telling him i'm visiting my grandma in sun city for the weekend. :)
With the limited budget we are going to be living on, paying one more fee to drive my car might push me over the edge:D

for anyone with HPSP,
is the $2000 refundable if we have the scholarship? If HPSP pays for everything anyway, what will the $2000 go toward?

If you are on the HPSP scholarship, deposits that go toward tuition are supposed to be refundable. Just make sure that the financial aid office bills the military for the full 31,000 or so, and not just the remaining balance in your account. After the govt. pays the bill, you will have 2000 left over and then I think that AZCOM just cuts you a check for the difference. This is how I remember it from the AF website at least...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. I was told by both my AF advisor and the FA office that the school would bill the AF for the entire tuition and the $2000 deposit should make it into my account (I signed up for direct deposit at the FA office) by the 2 or 3 of Sept. I am actually hoping to use that money to purchase books and equipment right away and then have the AF reimburse me for the $2000 once I submit my receipts. Of course, if anyone really needs sound info I suppose that one could contact someone from the AMOPS chapter at the school. Most of those guys have encountered the obstacles that we're facing now.

Cyndi

Hi everyone. I was just perusing the FA forum, and I noticed that Irish has received his financial aid award letter. Has anyone else heard anything at all? I would really like to know where I stand financially so that I can secure part-time employment if I need to.

Cyndi

Thanks for the response lucky. Would you mind if I asked how long ago did you receive your email? I am really starting to get nervous. I have a family that usually is totally supported by my income. Even though I have the HPSP to fund school, I will still need to qualify for work study to make ends meet. I hope that all is good on your end.

Cyndi

cyndi,
i got my email yesterday (thursday). I would suggest calling the FA dept. if you didn't already. They had some questions on my application i had to answer (self-inflicted by my own stupidity:))
Let us know!!

Cindi,

Your award notification comes through your school email account in case you were thinking that it came through your other email.

Kevin

Hey all, I just talked to the Arizona Department Of Transportation (ADOT) and the lady said if you are paying out-of-state tuition, then you are not required to obtain an AZ license, registration, or plate. The school should give us a sticker that says we are paying out-of-state tuition and hence voiding us from this requirement.

So it is written, so let it be done...

irish,
Hey thanks for the info! But, does this wok for us since in-state and out-of-state tuition is the same?

I asked the same question and she said it didn't matter. According to her, as long as I was from out-of-state and I wasn't paying a reduced, in-state tuition, I didn't have to change anything.

irish-- thanks for looking that up for us! just one less thing to worry about. Did anyone else get a funny feeling in their gut when they saw the full amount of loans we'll get??!? wow

I recently read a couple of posts on the Allopathic regarding Gunner classes vs. Slacker classes. Does anybody have a sense of this from our school? Whaddayathink? Are we a gunner class or a Slacker class?

Hi guys! The info regarding the auto registration is confusing. Thanks for posting what you've learned... it helped clear things up a bit. I suppose that we are all subject to AZ taxes.

On a more pleasant note, I met with my second year mentor today. We took a tour of the school. BTW, the anatomy lab was quite stinky. She introduced me to Dr. Mann, a biochem prof, and Dr. Walters, an anatomy prof. Both were extremely friendly and open to talking with new students. I also received a huge amount of old tests, study aids and the like for first year from my sis. Looks like we have our work cut out for us. I would be glad to share my good fortune if anyone is interested.

Oh, and thanks all for the FA advice. Although I was somewhat disappointed to see my award letter. My HPSP scholarship and stipend qualify as federal aid, which really limits the amount of loans I may receive. It looks as though I'll have to keep a job while in school just to support my family.

Hope that you all are getting as excited as I am.

Cyndi

How did you guys find out who your 2nd year mentor is? Should I just call the school, or did they send you info?

Thanks

I received an email from my mentor in early June. I would call the office and make sure you didn't fall through the cracks.

So once we all change our plates to Arizona, the state will just assume that we are going to pay state income tax there even though we are not calling this state our permanent address? Something is not adding up, otherwise someone is getting screwed on this deal and I don't believe it is the state. I don't plan on changing anything to AZ, including my voter registration, so where does that place someone like me?

I am utterly confused about this whole car thing. I guess I will just wait and see what they tell us at orientation (I would imagine if its a big deal--they will say something). It just seems so strange to me that everything will be Illinois--but I still have to register in AZ. Einey, I guess if you called the school--that must be the case.

As for second year mentors--I haven't heard anything either. Maybe they have chosen people, but its up to them when they contact us.

TMarkus--I think we are gunnar class (just look at how worried we all are about EVERYTHING)!

i think we are a gunner class as well. I plan on just telling everyone enough to let you feel i'm helping....but not enough that you all do better than me in class:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I am soooooo excited to get away from all of that kind of stuff. I really think (from what little i've seen on sdn) that we have a class that will look out for one another and help/be helped when needed. From what i've seen/heard at azcom, that is the environment that is encouraged!!!

cyndi-- is there no other way to keep the family afloat??? I can't imagine trying to work and do med school at the same time.

I know lots of people who haven't registered their cars in AZ and I have never known anyone to get a ticket for it. I wouldn't sweat it, you guys. Officially the law says you have to if you are here longer than X # of months, but I know students can be exempt.

kristin
MS III
AZCOM

Hey guys, I'm starting dental school on Monday here in Mesa, and we've specifically been told that because we are full-time students, we do NOT have to register our cars.

Kind of interesting since they have those "YOU MUST REGISTER" commercials playing on the radio quite a bit. But, I called the DMV (which is just next door to my apartment here) and they said that it is correct -- I don't have to register if I'm a student.

Thanks Kristin and Gavin for the registration info. That actually sets my mind at ease a bit.

jhug- I don't know how you are going to make it with triplets? My budget dictates that I acquire more money than financial aid will provide. I will just have to learn to implement extraordinary time management. I really do appreciate your concern. Actually, the profs I met at school today echoed the same sentiment... that med school and part-time employment are not very compatible.

About the mentors- mine told me that she picked my name from a list back in June. She has been very proactive about engaging me in meetings and lunch. But she seems particularly outgoing. I'm sure that the rest of you will be contacted soon.

Cyndi

What the heck is a mentor? I know the meaning of the word, but why do we need mentors? Are they professors or students? I am afraid, none has contacted me about anything.

gooob,

They're students who are supposed to "show us the ropes," give us back copies of tests, etc. I think that the students pick people from a list and then take it from there.

I imagine at least some must slack, but we have enough people already in touch here that we should be able to have all the materials copied and shared among ourselves big bro/sis or no.

Goober and Lukealfredwhite- you may absolutely have access to everything that my big sis has given me. I don't mind sharing... actually I want us all to succeed. I have no intention of hoarding the materials I have. I am sure that your 2nd year mentors will be contacting you soon. Like I mentioned earlier, mine is just a go getter. She received an award for most inspirational student last year because she was willing to help so many of her classmates succeed. Now she is passing along that knowledge to us.

Cyndi

I don't mind sharing... actually I want us all to succeed.....
She received an award for most inspirational student last year because she was willing to help so many of her classmates succeed.....we should be able to have all the materials copied and shared among ourselves big bro/sis or no.

gunner class...totally a gunner, leave everyone behind, survival of the fittest.:laugh: :laugh:
At this point, i could not of asked for a better group of classmates:clap:
I am excited to start a new stage in life and start progressing toward that goal of being a physician....part of that excitement is finally putting faces to all these screen names!!

Thanks Cyndi :) I'm not too worried; plenty of time left! The class of 2005 webpage also has a huge bundle of tests that they've scanned in. I'm not sure if they're all second year tests or if they have the first year ones there too. Lots of notes, etc. also.

i meant to ask anyone who may know....
Enroute to phoenix, I'll be driving from Salt Lake to Las Vegas (this is the easy part). From there I'll go to kingman and this is where i find myself in need of some direction. Should i continue on i-40 to flagstaff and then down i-17 to phoenix (this route from vegas to phoenix = 384mi.) OR do i take federal highway 93 from kingman to wickenburg to phoenix (this route is 297 miles)????
With a moving truck (15ft) i'm sure it will be slow regardless....but i don't want to be on the road any longer than is needed. Also, i'm only given 800 miles by uhaul before i have to pay for extra miles. But i don't want to get stuck on a super slow, small, winding road.
So, what do you think??

Thanx for the info Luke. Cyndi, you are sweet for sharing. Thanx. Jhug, if you want to show the triplets and your wife scenary then Flagstaff rout. If you want to get to your destination fast the ugly rout of wickenburg. Peace.

I guess I don't understand how the police officer would know that we are "living" in Arizona and that we have been there for greater than the allotted 7-month period (especially if everything says we are an out-of-state resident). I have never been pulled over before, so I don't know what the process entails--but is this a common question in their series of questions?

Another thing: if I come home to Illinois for Thanksgiving break, Christmas break, Spring break, and summer--then does the counting period start over every time I come back? Technically, I won't ever live there for 7-months straight (until maybe my third/fourth years).

I don't know why it bothers me. I guess the law just seems strange to me (at least when applied to students--now SNOWBIRDS, that's a different story all together. :) )

I would imagine it must be a TOTAL of 7 months in a year--not necessarily consecutive months, maybe...

On the topic of auto lic. I think i will take my chances. The whole thing sounds ridiculous. Besides, the local PD has got to be somewhat cool about this whole deal, especially if we are there studying medicine. The cops in my town never write tickets to the ER staff and healthcare folks. I think they consider it bad karma.

On another note, I copied this from the Gunner post on the allopathic site. Thought those of you who didn't read it yet will get a kick out of it. Its a very good breakdown of any particular class...

4% - Loud gunners. Common symptoms include sitting in the front row, asking multiple questions in class, asking everyone what they got on their tests. Usually will get burned in 3rd year, when they attempt to blackmail classmates.

3% - Covert gunners, Type I. Covert gunners typically check out library books so that no one else can read it, as well as decomission certain handouts. Type Is are differentiated from Type IIs in their uncanny ability to be socially seen at parties, to mask their true identity.

3% - Covert gunners, Type II. These people are rarely seen outside medical school.

8% - Whiners. These students sit in the 4th-7th rows of lecture rows and loudly whisper and complain during the lecture itself, and then complain to fellow students and deans about the unfairness of a test.

48% - Normal people. Symptoms include occasional moments of ambitious studying, an infrequent side effect of slacking off.

12% - Paradoxical geniuses. These people are socially active and do very little studying except for cramming. Signs include sparse attendance, paradoxically high test scores for amount of effort placed.

12% - Paradoxical workers. Opposite of paradoxical genius: extremely hard workers who receive paradoxically low scores. They are often redeemed in 3rd and 4th years when hard work pays off.

8% - Obnoxious brats. 4:1 male to female ratio. Brats sit in the back row and work pathetically hard to appear like a cool slacker and popular. Will run for class president at least once. Differential diagnosis includes either paradoxical geniuses or covert gunners (Type I).

2% - Ghosts. These people have families or something better than medical school and are always absent. Signs include receiving many "Who?"'s when name is called on graduation.

-Todd MSIV

Ciao,
Troy

Hey Troy! Funny post... Glad to see med students keep a good sense of humor.

Cyndi

Three years ago I moved from Idaho to a Utah town on the Utah-Idaho border. I got pulled over for not having my windshield completely defrosted. Anyway the cop wanted to give me a ticket because I hadn't changed my registration over. But Luckily I was still in the allowable time frame to get it changed. And in Utah the fine would have been $1000.00. Also, most states can give you a ticket for not changing your address on your drivers license. To me, the hundred bucks or so to get a new plate and registration is worth it.

But unless you tell them that you have indeed moved to the state and at what date you did so--how do they know?

To be honest, the $100 or so to make the changes isn't that big of a deal to me (other than the fact that I JUST paid $100 to register my care here in IL). It just seems like a strange requirement for out-of-state students.

On a related note, if we do make all the car changes (i.e. registration, license, etc.) do we also register to vote and become AZ residents? If this is the case, and I do cardiology research next summer in Wisconsin, do I then have to pay WI and AZ income tax? I wouldn't have to as an IL resident because we have a reciprocity agreement.

5 weeks, 4 days until orientation...

Has anyone recieved their orientation packet and schedule yet?

I think that it?s great that so many of us are so open/friendly, and this is just on a net message board! I am stoked about our class!I think that we ?may? fall into the great category of an easy-going class with ?gunner aspirations?? or a gunner class without the ?gunner? personalities. This would be great because as with just about anything, being around people who perform well motivates/pushes you to perform well too. And, if we axe the gunner personalities, then we can enjoy each other's company both in and out of school.
Oh my gosh! Only 3 weeks left of work?3 weeks and a day till I begin to move!:eek:

Just finished reading ?Complications?-great book!

The orientation mailing will go out Monday. If you don't get the information by the end of July, call (888) 247-9277.

I haven't been able to log on to my AZwebmail in a couple of days. Anyone else have this problem?