AZCOM Class of 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The time draws ever closer. Glad to hear the move in is going well. I am shooting for Aug. 20th as an arrival date. Gettin' kinda late I know, but my brother is getting married and I don't want to come back after I leave (at least not for a while). Anyway, I envy those of you there setting up shop. I'll catch up as soon as I can. Adios, and enjoy the sun!

-T

Members don't see this ad.

Do we take classes (beyond the interdisciplinary healthcare class) with any of the other programs (i.e. pharmacy, PA, etc.)?

I know that we have physiology with the P.A. students

Members don't see this ad :)
1-month and we will be done with our first week of school! :)

(Yes, I am bored right now)

Hi jhug! My husband and I are getting settled into our home at 31st Ave and the 101. We would love to have your family over when you get some time. We are in Oregon now visiting family, but we'll be home Wed. Look forward to hearing from everyone as they get into town.

Cyndi

cyndi--
we'd love to!!! keep in touch and we'll plan it....

FYI

The class of 2006, mainly myself and Thom Degraff, are planning throwing the class of 2007 an orientation party August 29th...
details to be forthcoming.... this will be a great way to meet some people "ahead" of you and feel at home at AZCOM.. it's a blast too!

jason

a left-field question, but does anyone know if there are public tennis courts anywhere near campus?

I'll be in my lovely campus housing Friday after next; look forward to meeting you all!

Is the gym on campus reserved for those who live on campus?

LAW-- let me know if you could use an extra set of hands moving in....you are going to love this place!!!! have a safe drive!

LAW,
I think that the closest public park with tennis courts is at 19th Ave and Yorkshire just north of Union Hills. Or you could try the courts at Deer Valley High School at 51st Ave and Union Hills or Goldwater High School at Rose Garden just north of the 101 and 27th Ave.

Have fun playing.

Cyndi

Originally posted by bla_3x
Is the gym on campus reserved for those who live on campus?

Nope - it's for any student or staff member!

kristin
MSIII

Members don't see this ad :)
Cyndi, JHUG,

Thanks for the help! Glendale seems great; I'm glad it has its share of parks.

I personally can't wait to see the new football stadium going up in Glendale, though I think that's not opening until 2006. Fancy, though...it'll have a retractable field! (why, I'm not sure.)

i got our new schedule this week and it looks like they've cut phys our first semester!!! We have histology/embryology, GA, Biochem, Clinical Correlates, and OMM (still a pretty big load though:))

I do wonder if mondays are off when we don't have tests (our first is sept 22)....

Luke,

If you get the chance to go to a Cardinals game this year, you'll understand why the new stadium needs a retractable roof. Anyone in the east stands gets cooked! It's not much fun to watch a game sweating your ass off. Sure, it doesn't have that same outdoor feel to it, but those preseason games and early regular season games will be much nicer to watch (not that we'lll have any time to go to a game now)

Plus those snow storms in December can be brutal:)

No, no, not the retractable roof, the retractable FIELD! It actually slides out of the stadium to the stadium's periphery.

Hm. Just looked up the reason, and it's apparently to give the grass sunlight while the stadium floor is used for other events. Neat.

Ah, I see Luke. Yeah that is pretty amazing that they can retract the whole field. I'm definitely looking forward to watching some games there. Should be much better than SunDevil Stadium.

einey,

Great to hear! Though if tennis is even a tenth your life, I'm not going to be much more than a slightly-sentient backstop (the kids on the court here give me tips out of pity).

I think there's at least one other threadperson who's big on tennis too, so hopefully we'll have plenty for quick sets. Great to hear that there's a court so near.

Some people had mentioned softball...I looked into local leagues, and there seem to be plenty around Glendale of all levels of competitiveness. I imagine at least some of them keep going in the fall, so I'll definitely be up for any team anyone wants to put together.

Shane,

It does look like a great stadium, and it'll be fantastic for the fiesta bowl! I'm hoping to get some of that retractable-roof action before 2006 at a Diamondbacks game!

einey....right you are! i was looking at the wrong sheet....it looks like nothing has changed from the schedule they gave out at interviews. Where is the new stadium being built?? a retractable field? pretty amazing.

Any of you that have finished COT for the Air Force, how was it? If you could tell me a little about what you guys did and if you enjoyed it or not, that would be great. Thanks

Azmedstudent-

I just got back from COT last Thursday. I had a really good time. It is definitely a lot of hard work, but it was a great experience and I'm glad I went. Most days have a mixture between entire class lectures and smaller group lectures in the flight rooms. You'll learn about military history, leadership studies, profession of arms (how to salute, wear the uniform, etc.), and communication skills. We start every morning at 5:15 for physical conditioning and class is usually over around 5 or 6 in the afternoon. About halfway through we went to the leadership reaction course, which is a series of challenges that test leadership skills. Each event has a different leader, and that leader is graded on how well he or she leads the group through the event. It was a lot of fun. We got weekends off which was a great opportunity to catch up on some sleep. The last week and part of the last weekend we did an Aerospace Expeditionary Force exercise where we camped out in tents and were given assignments in a field hospital. It was a great experience. I didn't know what to expect before COT, but it was a lot of fun and a very valuable experience. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

-Matt

After a long drive cross country I made it to the valley of the sun. I've actaully been here about two weeks now and have been working on the house trying to get it set up, mostly trying to to get everything to work. If you have ever seen "Money Pit" with Tom Hanks you can get a mental image. Just got a computer and am connected once again. If anyone needs help moving in let me know as well. more than happy to help. I have a pick up also if anyone needs to pick up furniture or appliances. My sister(she decided to move in with me) and I are probably going to check out the bar scene this weekend for those who are around if anyone wants to come with. Just PM me. One rule though. No hitting on the sis! :mad: Can't wait to meet you all.

I've also arrived in town. My girlfriend and I are pretty much settled into our apartment, but have a few boxes left to unpack. We've been trying to find furniture for the living room and came across a great deal on a couch at Ashley furniture. If any of you are looking for a new sofa, they have several for under 500 bucks. The one I found was $350 plus $79 to deliver. We haven't had nearly as much luck finding our much needed bookshelves though. We're gonna go to Cort furniture's sale today. They rent items to corporations, then sell the stuff when it goes out of style. Hopefully I can find a deal.

For those of you also in town, have you been able to do any hiking or camping yet? I try to take a morning hike a couple of times a week. It's so nice to be able to drive for 10 minutes, hike up and down a small mtn., then drive home and still have the rest of the day ahead of you. I've hiked up and around Lookout mtn., then went up onto Northern mtn. Today it's Squaw peak. By the way, if anyone can suggest a good place to go camping for the weekend, I'd really appreciate it. I'd like to go someplace within a couple hours of Phoenix that has hiking and a swimming hole nearby.

AZmedstudent: I went to COT in June and had a lot of fun too. You will leave there feeling very proud to have joined the AF. The only advice I can give is to show up in the best shape--physically--that you can. The PC requirements aren't too tough, but it will definitely help you adjust to the long days and will make the LRC activities much more enjoyable. You should go to the new AFIT HPSP website and start checking their forums every once in a while. They're brand new so not much is up yet, but there is already a thread or two on what to expect at COT. The website is http://ci.afit.edu/cimj/default.asp

Can't wait for orientation!

It's been awhile since I've posted but I finally made it down here last week. It was quite the 24 hour drive along. I thought Iowa was a boring state with only little towns until I drove through southern Kansas and into New Mexico!

Someone had commented on Ashley Furniture and my brother and I got an incredible deal there on a coffee table and end table. They have great furniture there if anyone is need of anything. Also, I got some bedroom furniture at Target. They have a mission collection that consists of minimal assembly and is good sturdy furniture if you are wanting to spend under $100 for different pieces. Just thought I'd pass that on because I've had it for awhile and love it.

Any more word on a party before school starts?

Originally posted by burs0028

Today it's Squaw peak.

The new name of the mountain is "Piestewa peak" - they changed it recently to honor the woman who was the first female Native American to die in battle. She was from Az.

Just to let you know.

:)
kristin
MSIII
AZCOM

just thought i'd let you all know the "jug's official class size" is 148! (i talked with the dean today and that's the # he had off the top of his head)

lycoidis....that is hillarious (not that you are experiencing this...but we always laugh about the $$ pit bc that is the story of my family's life!!! where the stairs fall off and the tub falls through the floor:laugh: )

krisf412....i'm with you on getting together for a little socializing!
How many of us are already here??? We could get a total # of people and rent out the on-campus place, do a pot-luck style, watch money pit in honor of lycoidis, and play some games or something.

Well, we've closed on our house, but a little traffic accident has delayed the move a few more days. So, we own a home in AZ and have no way to get there quite yet. :)

Anybody want to play golf next Monday or Tuesday? Anyone know of some cheap public courses down there? I don't mind playing in the afternoon. Heat is just a number. :)

sjs.. i'd love to go golfing....i'm with you about the heat...if it means less people in front of me (more important--not behind) i'm for it!!

sorry to hear about the accident:(

Originally posted by jhug
sorry to hear about the accident:(

No huge deal, but thanks anyways. I'll PM you my phone number when we get it, and we'll set it up.

Two more spots in a foursome. Any takers?

i feel the need to disclaimer right now and let you know that i'm not really that good (i can par rarely, mostly bogie-dbogie's) i also feel little to no remorse re-hitting a ball or two when needed:)

jhug,

I'm willing to bet most of us have about the same golf skill as yourself, or else we would be on the tour right now:)

Country meadows is a decent public course that has a good price. Grab the Thursday newspaper this week. That is when they have the various coupons for courses in the area. That would be your best way to decide where you want to play.

There are some good, relatively cheap playing courses in the Sun City area. Hilcrest is another great course, and I think with the coupon the green fees are 20$ (can't remember if that was with or without a cart).

I'm thinking about hitting the course myself one of those days. It all depends on whether I get my kitchen and bathroom tiled over the weekend. Sure will make for a good incentive to get the job done quickly!

To those who haven't moved into Phoenix yet, a quick word of advice. There is a lovely gas shortage in the city due to a burst pipe between Tucson and Phx. Therefore, many people are waiting in line for a matter of HOURS to get gas, and people are running around on empty tanks, or having to stay home because of a lack of gas! Thus, before you enter the area, fill up your tank! Don't coast in on empty, or you might find yourself regretting it. If coming from the East, on I-10, stop at Casa Grande, probably exit 194. It's expensive, but it is also your last chance before having to sit in lines... it's about 50 miles south of AZCOM. I've already moved up here, and if you need any advice, e-mail me at [email protected].
Excited to meet you all (and see those that I met at AF OTS)!

Fun Times Ahead

Will Harris

Orientation starts in one week. Is everyone excited?

I am very excited about getting started with the next step. We will get to meet amazing people, and begin learning the fine art of medicine.

At the same time I have become kind of spoiled with free time. It is nice to come home after work and go play basketball for a couple hours, or take a trip to the mountains without any aprehension about studying. This is the one aspect of med school I do not look forward too.

Hi everyone! Glad to hear that everyone is arriving safely... with the exception of sjs. I hope that you get things worked out okay.

I just realized that I feel like the odd one out. Are there any females on the forum? Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all next week. I'm excited about all the new friends I hope to make, but very apprehensive about school itself.

Cyndi

sjs...and any other golfer out there.... i just called coyote lakes in surprise (about 5 min west of here) and they charge $10 for 18 holes AND a cart!!! the only thing is that this price is only good M-F and you have to tee off between 10am and 2pm and only through this month....but for those of us who don't mind heat too much LETS GO!!!!!!!:)

jhug,

I'm in. $10 with a cart is awesome. I'll give you a call later today.

Dear In commimng AZCOMers:horns:,

This is awsome to see how you guys are already forming bonds and what will promise to be a great class!!! The Emergency and Wilderness medicine club would like to welcome all of you to Phoenix despite the gas shortage. I hope all of you have contacted your big sis or bro, they can really help guid you through the first few weeks.

We've got a lot of great speakers, workshops, and activities planned this year for all its members. I would encourage all of you to consider joining even if you are not interested in emergency medicine. Some of our workshops are: IV therapy, suturing, intubation, and wilderness OMM. We have speakers comming to give talks on aviation emergencies, mechanism of injuries, wilderness medicine, and of course residency, issues. We have something scheduled every other week, a lot of free food, and a ton of fun!!

You'll recieve a lot more info once school starts. If anyone has any questions feel free to email me. I look forward to and wish all of you a great school year.

Russell Baker MSII
Emergency Medicine and Wilderness Medicine Club President
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hello Cyndi, did you ever get the situation worked out with Financial Aid? Hope that you won't have to work while going to med school!

Hi muonwhiz!

No I have not worked things out like I would have liked. I have decided to wait tables/bartend again. The money is decent for the amount of time invested. I will have to rely on superior time management skills... if I acquire them. ;) I am really looking forward to meeting everyone. Can't wait until Wednesday.

Cyndi

I'm just wondering about the process of getting some immunizations at the Sonoran Labs that someone had talked about. I need to get my last Hep B shot and possibly another tetanus shot. Is it worth it to wait until Wed and ask about finishing immunizations at orientation since we do have a month to do it? Thanks
Hope everyone is enjoying the last few days--

Well, I moved down to town on the 19th?and it was utter HELL for the first few days. APS (the local power co.) was 2 days late in getting my power turned on because they $#@@ up and said that they never received my deposit money:mad:. So, my fianc?e and I stayed in a hotel for a couple of nights with money that we really don't have?so that was fun. Other highlights included buying a new water heater, all the fun little things that come with buying an older mobile home.

I would love to play some golf!! I met with my big brother, and he lives right by the Legends Golf course (near 67th and the 101). He says that it is not too bad as far as $$ goes. Give me a PM or something and I can give ya my local phone number. I hope all goes well with everyone's moving!

Originally posted by krisf412
I'm just wondering about the process of getting some immunizations at the Sonoran Labs that someone had talked about. I need to get my last Hep B shot and possibly another tetanus shot. Is it worth it to wait until Wed and ask about finishing immunizations at orientation since we do have a month to do it? Thanks
Hope everyone is enjoying the last few days--

You can totally put off the immunizations/titers. There were only 11 people in my class by the middle of their MS2 year that were totally caught up! (You have to be caught up by the time you start rotations, though). The "official" line from the school is that you will need to be up-to-date for your preceptor your first year, but so many people find out they are accepted late enough to where they wouldn't even come close to having all the Hep B shots, so you can tell, you don't "really" need to be up-to-date.

Does that make sense?

kristin
MSIII
AZCOM

i know that this is super short notice but a bunch of us are going golfing tomorrow around 10:15 at the coyote lakes golf course (the address is: 18800 Coyote Lakes Pkwy Surprise, Arizona 85374 (623) 566-2323...about 10-15min west of school) I only made one tee-time but the guy said it hasn't been crowded at all. It is only $10 for 18 holes and a cart!!! That rate is good M-F, teeing off between 10am-2pm, and only through this month:(
Hopefully there are others that want to come!! see you there!

Hi Kris! If you really wanted to go ahead and get started with your immunizations, just stop by the student services office. They will have your current status on file and be able to distribute to you the forms that Sonora Quest needs for the blood draw. I think that the titer costs approx $20.

Cyndi

Thanks for the info-
I haven't turned in my records yet because the lady I talked to made it seem like I could wait until orientation so I will just take it with me on Wed and get the rest of my immunizations done sometime. It doesn't seem as urgent as they made it seem-

Would any of you guys like to meet on campus some where just a little before orientation so we can see who all the SDNers are? I wouldn't mind putting a face with some of the screen names. Let me know what you guys think. Even if some people wanted to get together today I would go for that too.

Rob

I'd certainly be up for that; I'm not used to the sidewalks being completely empty of people during daylight hours...it's like a scene from a western. Anyhow, if you all do get together, I'll drop by. Anyone else in the F-block?