AZCOM Class of 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
chuck, who wrote complications?? and what is it about?? i am big into personal reading (seeing how i probably won't have much time come august)

Members don't see this ad.

just thought I would let anyone know that might need a hotel room in glendale the next couple of months (house hunting, people helping you move etc...) if you go to rent.com they have a coupon for 39.99 a night at the holiday inn express on Bell ave near the arrowhead town mall. My wife and I used it a couple of weeks ago and it saved us some money.

Also, my mwu e-mail has been working fine.

jhug
The whole title is ?Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science.? The Author is Atul Gawande
It's a great book about the realities of surgery and the uncertainties of medicine in general.

Members don't see this ad :)
what do you play in your band? What types of music?

I played the sax in a jazz band my first couple of years of college. I also played a little classical. But I enjoy all types of music. When I'm done with my education, I'm really looking forward to pursuing my music more and maybe joining a community jazz group wherever I end up.

Einey,
Yeah, I am forgetting about books in general and making as many trips to North Shore/Whistler, BC as possible (5 days and counting). The Mountain biking up there is unreal.

Speaking of Mountain biking, I have a very nice 2001 Santa Cruz Superlight (size M) for sale if anyone is interested. I have to get rid of at least one bike before school starts.

Ciao,
T

Wow F/A-18,
Didn't mean to disrespect. You are right the cops don't owe us ****, and I do assume a lot (namely that I will graduate, and not get pulled over), however, chances are they won't confuse this 35 yo with some snot nossed college "puck."

I can understand the desire to support the state of your new home. Do you happen to know what it costs to register your car in AZ, and get an AZ drivers lics? I think Irish said sumthin' like $100? **** if it keeps F/A-18 from yelling at me again I'll do it.

-T

I've been reading the various topics and replies for the past several months and finally decided to register with SDN.
I'm departing Memphis for Phoenix in a few shorts weeks and have all the same concerns as many have posted, i.e: no news from FA, nor info regarding Orientation, and curious with the AZ vehicle registration.
My 2 cents - I expect the cops to be rather unforgiving in Phoenix, dealing with all the issues with immigration and they're attempt to enforce the laws. The last thing I want to be worried about is my wife getting pulled over for a burnt out tail light, coming home and telling me how she was cited for an extra $500 bones for not registering the car. I'm not going to take any chances, I'm going to fork over the cash and move on to studying.

F/A-18: why did you choose that for a "callsign"? I'm an EA-6B NFO, rolling to school on the Navy HPSP scholarship from the Bureau in Millington, TN. You happen to be a Hornet driver?

In response to a question Matt asked about how much you have to tell an officer who stops you:

Nothing! I've had a little too much experience with tickets, actually. (Six states down, thirty-four to go!) Police officers will try to get as much information as possible, because anything you say at the stop can be used in court.

However, you're under no obligation to say anything at all (right to remain silent, etc etc). And though you obviously want to communicate nicely, refusing to tell the officer, for example, how long you've been in the state isn't going to hurt you. If the officer is asking you about that, he's already decided to write the ticket and is just looking for enough info to make it stick.

From what I've heard, though, if you just show up for court your charges will often be dismissed. Prosecutors don't have the time to research where you go to school, how long you've been there, etc., and officers often don't show up to the court date since so few people actually go to court.

Of course, that part I don't know firsthand. Michigan doesn't have a reciprocity agreement with other states, which means that MY infractions don't go on my state record. One reason I'm very eager to keep my MI license!

I'm an EA-6B NFO, rolling to school on the Navy HPSP scholarship from the Bureau in Millington, TN. You happen to be a Hornet driver?

that sounds so cool!!!!:D

Brianjc, what part of utah are you from??

The crux of my issues with this, is once registered, will these same Nazis, that issue out-of-state tickets to these unfortunate out-of-state students who can't claim themselves as tourists, will want us to pay income tax for AZ. Would those of us on HPSP scholarships have to pay anything on the stipend we receive?

What I don't see is how these Nazis would be able to tell you have been in the state longer than 7 months without the offender spilling his or her guts, or this Nazi patrols their domicile counting down the months till he or she can ticket said poor medical student.

And those that can't "lie" and say they have not been in the state less than 7 months, I would like to know what they said when the Nazi asked, "Do you know how fast you were going?"

Go Navy, Beat Army

jhug,

I live in Logan right now and graduated from USU. But I'm originally from Twin Falls, ID and have only been in Utah for the last three years. How bout you?

Actually guys, I wouldn't worry too much about Phoenix officers pulling you over unless you drive like an idiot. I have been here since the last of April with Texas tags, and noone has even noticed. As a matter of fact, I also have a friend who's a Phoenix PD officer- he says the same thing. No harm, no foul. Just obey the traffic laws and you won't have anything to worry about.

brian and todd- welcome to the board. It's always good to get to know future classmates. Brian, I have family that lives in Benson (just outside of Logan). And todd, I am funding med school with the HPSP as well.

TMarkus- I am glad to hear that there are others close to my age. Now I don't feel so old. I am just getting into biking, but my husband has enjoyed it for quite some time.

Cyndi

Members don't see this ad :)
Luke,

I had to comment on what you had to say. Do you think that the Police Officers are stupid? You think that you have so much experience receiving tickets well let me tell you that I have a lot of experience writing them. I have been a police officer for 8 years and I have written way to many "failing to register a vehicle" to count and they do stick even thought I don't go to court. Do you know the difference between criminal and civil infractions? In case you forgot since the last time you were in court the PA does not show up in court on infractions just on Mis., G Mis, and Felonies. If you plan on playing the silent card you will run into more problems. You think that Officer's don't see the same cars driving around day after day since they are out on the street 8+ hours per day. All they need to do is what I use to do and drive by the apartment complexes or into residential areas and look at the plates on your vehicle and make a note of them. When they see you driving down the road at let's say 5+ over they will stop you and ask you about your state of residence and remaining silent will not help you since they have already done their home work and will make it stick as you would say.

Who ever thinks that since we are attending medical school we are due some special privileges is very ignorant. Being out-of-state students is not an argument either. We are all adults and should act like it and pay your tax that is due. We are suppose to have been selected to become a doctor from a vast number of applicants and are therefore held to a higher standard and I know that I will live up to the expectations that I have set for myself and I hope that you will too.

Luke,

I forgot to mention your statement about reciprocity. If Michigan does not have a reciprocity agreement with other states as you claim then your Michigan drivers license would only be good in the state of Michigan. If you are driving on that license in another state then you would be essentially driving with NVOL (No Valid Operators License). I don't know about Az. but in Wa. in you are NVOL W/out ID then it is a misdemeanor and you could be subject to arrest. I know that since there is a reciprocity agreement and if you seem to think that your driving record doesn't follow you, think again. For example, if you receive numerous citations in Az and they decide to suspend your license in Az. the state of Michigan will have nothing to say about it and most likely Az. DOL will send a notice of suspension to the state of Michigan and they will suspend you as well. You could have a valid license in all other 49 states but be suspended in Wa. and if stopped in Wa you would most likely be arrested and issued a Criminal Citation or booked into the local county jail.

this is a bit off the current topic but.....what are all of our professions? I've seen emt, doctor, military.....i love to see how all our respective histories will help shape how we view/practice medicine.

as for me: Interpreter, MA, Clinic guru

Wow. er, lots of hostility about this whole traffic thing. The way I figure it, I and probably many others won't be driving much of anywhere, so it's not a huge issue.

I don't think it's something for anyone to get too worked up over. Maybe we can debate the ethics again in March when seven months or so have passed. I understand and appreciate that some people feel strongly about the importance of following all state regulations to the letter, and that's admirable. I just happen not to.

But when I get my ticket, koth, I'll let you be first in line to say you told me so :)

I just returned from AZ last night. It was blazin' hot! Things at school were pretty calm. Although, they are doing a lot of construction with Student Center and cafeteria. It should be very nice!

According to the offices, we should all be receiving schedule/school info this week. Also, it is my understanding Fin. aid distribution occurs first week of Sept. (5th I think) for MSI folks.

We found a place to live in two days after driving around a bit. Plenty of places to rent around school and beyond.

Look forward to meeting you all next month.
B
AZCOM Class of 2007

Wow benson, Utah. As a matter of fact I lived in Almalga, Utah for the first six months I was here. What a small world. And I really mean it. Almalga is made up of a few farms, small houses, and a cheese factory! Not even a gas station. Oh wait I forget this is utah, there is a church too!

b-- where will you guys be living??

I would like to know the implications above and beyond traffic issues with registering a vehicle in the state. I will keep my voter registration back home, where I choose to be represented and send my tax money back to. However, states use DMV lists extensively to find people for jury duty, taxes, etc. I may reside in AZ, but it is not my permanent address.

I have to poke on this one- I feel safer knowing we have cops waiting around the corner with a radar gun and a calendar. That must be why I never see one around when some fool about kills someone on the highway.

jhug,

I worked my way up from slinging crap at a nursing home (no joking a good experience!) to working on the floor at the hospital as a C.N.A., then to the E.R. as a tech, and for the last year have worked as an anesthesia tech in the O.R. All in all I've seen lots of medicine and had really good experiences.

Where are you living. We decided to rent across the street in the arrowhead apartments.

This is the first I've heard about a cafeteria being built. That's the best news I've heard in a while. Anybody know what they're gonna have available for food? While you're at it, tell me what you guys know about the student services center too. One of the only disappointments I had durnig my initial visit was realizing they had so many different academic programs--with podiatry on the way--, but only a couple of vending machines for grabbing a snack. I eat constantly through the course of the day and the idea of having to bring my brunch, lunch, and snacks to school everyday sounded cheap--but also burdensome. I'd much rather bring some munchies and then be able to get a fresh lunch when I need it.

Since there seems to be a lot of confusion about the registration, I went to the AZ DOT website and clicked on the "How much does it cost to register my vehicle?" link under the "Frequently Asked Questions" section. This is the response it shows:

2) How much does it cost to register my vehicle?
It varies depending on the vehicle. There is a registration fee of $8.00 (or $8.25 in metro Phoenix and Tucson, including 25? air quality compliance sticker fee); plus an air quality research fee of $1.50; plus a vehicle license tax (VLT) assessed in place of a personal property tax charged by other states. There may also be a weight fee for commercial vehicles and other fees. The VLT is based on an assessed value of 60% of the manufacturer's base retail price reduced by 16.25% for each year since the vehicle was first registered in Arizona (15% before 8/1/98). Then, as of the Dec 1, 2000 reduction, the rate is calculated as $2.80 (new vehicles)/$2.89 (used vehicles) for each $100 of the assessed value. For example, for a new vehicle that costs $25,000, the first year assessed value would be $15,000 and the VLT would be $420.00. The second year the assessed value would be $12,562.50 and the VLT would be $363.06.

Anybody else feel like their fee structure could be a little...um, simpler? Maybe I'm just slow...

Actually, don't quote me on a "cafeteria". Sorry about that. It might just be a large "dining area". There was not anyone there to tell me exactly what was being constructed. However, it looked like a nice set-up.

Jhug- we are living at Arrowhead lakes condos right near the school. It will work for now.

B

Jhug,
I enter with 6yrs Coal Mining experience, 5yrs. Undergrad (yeah, slow learner), 1.5 yrs high school science teacher (biology/chemistry/earth sci), and 3.5 years as ER tech.
Livin' on campus.

Kothkg,
Where in WA are you from? I am leaving Bellingham behind :( . Grew up in Maple Valley. P.S. no taxation w/o representation.

LAW,
Wow. er, lots of hostility about this whole traffic thing. The way I figure it, I and probably many others won't be driving much of anywhere, so it's not a huge issue.

Livin' on campus, so yeah, virtually no driving.

-
Those of you riding on scholarship or military money. Smart move. I just signed my paperwork and with the stroke of a pen added $50K to my undergrad debt! Ouch.

Markus & Burly,

I'll be on-campus too, so yeah, lots of walking. The food-place thing is indeed a cafeteria. I asked during the interview how the whole thing would work (food card, etc) and they weren't sure. But it will be nice to have a meal-place-thing on campus.

JHug,

I've been freelance writing and teaching MCAT classes for the past few years. What do you translate? That must be fantastically rewarding.

Anyone else here with spouse and kids, moving into campus housing? I'm 32 (no spring chicken) with wife and soon-to-be 3 y.o. daughter.

Also, those with families, any advice on health care insurance? I hear we'll most likely qualify for state funded insurance since we'll all be so poor.

my wife is happy to see other couples in on-campus housing. We are in F-102, i'm 26 and have 1 year old triplets.
ToddE, we are putting the kids on medicaid/chip, arizona has great programs for kids. I don't know what we'll do about my wife and i. I guess we could qualify as well as long as they don't count loans as income.

LAW,TMarkus.....both teachers.....let's study together:D (really)

I speak spanish so i spend pretty much all day working with hispanic patients and it is amazingly rewarding!!! i am really going to miss the patients and the people i work with. I am waiting to hear from the NHSC to see if i got the scholarship....if i did i'll look forward to working in a similar setting for a few years after residency.

Although some look down on it (I'm not one of them :) ), AZ's Medicaid called Access is supposed to be a good deal. A fair amount of students are on it, really good for kids, and it only takes 7 days to get qualified. Also, I beleive it is 1 month retroactive, just in case you have an emergency before you get set up. If I'm wrong on anything here, please let me know.

I'm 25, married, our bun in the oven due during our first week of finals. We'll be living about a mile east of campus, but from what I understand, there is plenty to do on campus for everybody.

BTW, I work at a treatment center for adolescents, and I've thankfully put in my notice. :)

jhug/San Juan Sun:

Thank you for the info. jhug, looks like we'll be neighbors, we'll be in F-101. My wife will be thrilled to hear there will be other families on the campus. See you soon.

Hi guys! I have a bit of info... my 2nd year mentor emailed me a message that stated the student council will meet on Jul 31. It also reiterated that 2nd years contact their first year students to help ease transition into med school life.

It's good to know that I am not the old one in the bunch. I have a husband and a two year old daughter. I have been an active duty Air Force medic for the past three years assigned to an ambulatory surgical unit at Wilford Hall Med Ctr in San Antonio. I, too, am using the HPSP to fund school. As such, I would suggest that everyone with children apply for Access. Take advantage of the assistance while you can get it. Federal and state aid is there to be used.

If anyone needs any help in moving, just let me know. I am fortunate in that the Air Force is doing my moving for me. I hope to be settled in my home in the next couple of weeks and look forward to hosting a get together for us all, if anyone is interested.

Cyndi

Hey everybody!!

I am 24 with a 21 month old son and one is the way in January. I have been married for almost three years.

Some friends of ours, husband will be an MSII this year, were on access this past year and had absolutely no regrets. My take on it, we will be paying so much in taxes our whole lives!!! Why not take advantage of the assistance if you qualify? Don't let others give you a guilt trip. If you need it, use it.

I currently work as a microbiologist for a health food company in Utah. One of my coworkers is also attending a AZCOM this fall and we both are moving down on the 14th of August.

Anyone else living at Arrowhead Highlands? We're hoping to make friends fast and have a smooth transition.

See ya soon!!

Yes, it is good to know there are other students in our class with families. I am 33, married, and I have a 9 mo. old daughter and a beagle.
We are going to be living right near the school. I have not figured out the whole insurance thing yet for my family. That is next on my list o' things to do.

Out,
B

Hi Burly. I have two bassetts that would love to meet your beagle. There is also a dog park across the street from the school behind the public library. Maybe we could set a doggie date for them to play? I would say that my daughter would love to meet your baby, but she is going through the initial motions of the terrible two's. She usually loves kids... but lately she's been a little monster.

Cyndi

It is nice to see others with a family. I am 32 and bringing my girlfriend and boy who is 4 yoa. We are living off campus in a house we had constructed in Litchfield Park. Looking forward to meeting all of you

Troy,

I grew up in Federal Way and now live in Clarkston, Wa. on the East side of the state.

I am 24 and engaged. My fianc?e is really looking forward to meeting all of you too. She says she will be happy to fix up the good grubbin? when people want to come over to hang/study/etc. She makes great Asian food!

I've been married for four years and have a one year old. I'm worried about the insurance as well but Hopefully my wife will find a job with good benefits. I'm a little reluctant to use state and federal aid. We will if we have to, but it seems like we shouldn't take advantage just because we can.

Anyway my wife and I will be living in Arrowhead Highlands #1126. We are moving in on the 19th of Aug.

Hey does AZCOM have a note taking service?

when i interviewed (oct 01) they had a note-taking service--I am pretty sure that they still do. If i remember right, it isn't faculty supported....it's more done by the students. Anyone else know about it??

Hey all,

I just got my financial aid email today. It sounds like some people still haven't received theirs, so I thought I'd post mine since it's a"generic" profile (single, no dependents, no income, on-campus). So this is probably what you'll see:

Tuition: 32,251
Student Services Fee: 200
Health Ins: 1,980
Books: 3,010
Room/Board: 10,170
Transportation: 2,000
Personal/Lab Fee: 2,205
Stafford Fees: 555
Misc: 0

Total: 52,371

F/A-18:
I was in Pensacola in 1996-1997, then to VAQ-129 and off to CAG-5 on the KITTY HAWK in Japan prior to coming to the Bureau to be a detailer. I'm the aviation bonus guy, a friend to all of Naval Aviation I guess you can say. If you're still in Lemoore, give me a call at DSN 882-3954. I depart here next week.
You?

I can provide you some good advice when corresponding with Navy detailers. I'd be more than glad to pass the advice once we meet at AZCOM.

I'm starting to feel extremely immature. I do not have a wife or fianc?e (or is it fianc?--I don't speak french), any children, nor a previous career. I guess the people on here are a small percentage of our class; at least I hope there will be others who are similar to me.

As for my major, I was Molecular Biology with minors in Chemistry and Comparative Religions. I have two papers published regarding my research on the Functional Analysis of the OXA1 Protein located on the inner mitochondrial membrane.

Tuition: 32,251
Student Services Fee: 200
Health Ins: 1,980
Books: 3,010
Room/Board: 10,170
Transportation: 2,000
Personal/Lab Fee: 2,205
Stafford Fees: 555
Misc: 0

Total: 52,371'
Dont forget that we take $2000 out of the "1st quarter" fees due to the 2K we have already put in!

Bla_3x---Good piont about the $2000.

I would like to verify something. This might be so obvious to you all, but I just want to make sure. AZCOM has three seperate disbursement dates throughout the year for our loans that are equally divided among the three dates. Do they take a third of the tuition amount out each time? I couldn't imagine that they would require us to pay for all of tuition with our first two loan dispersments.?

I don't want any surprises

Azcomer,
Yes, they do split the tuition by three. And. The "personl/lab fee" is also misleading. The lab fee is for 2nd year and is $75. The peronal fees are just alowances for us for whatever we wnat. this amount ($2205) is not taken out at any point in our first year. Also, if you were confused as to why there was a $550 stafford fee, it's also because they are just "allowing" for it, and if your lender says they don't have any fees, then this $550 is just a ghost amout too. hope this is helpful.

Having said that what do you think the disbursment amounts will be for each of the three disbursments?

As far as the tuition, it should be an even split. For the loan disbursements, I believe that it says what your quarterly amounts will be in your electronic award letter.

brian, az:

if you're doing work/study, the quarterly figures for stafford+work/study are $13,170 in Fall and $13,165 in the next two quarters. That takes you to $39,500 ($38.5k in staffords and $1k in work/study). Then of course there's whatever you take out in private loans.

But like bla said, we get 2k back from our deposit for first quarter (thank goodness!)