August 2020 - CBSE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In the past, some people have had to take their exam on Monday for religious reasons. I have heard that they were given a different exam because of this.
Agreed about the STD. Who gives a crap at the end of the day. The questions they give are pre-weighted from past medical students. Shouldn’t be too hard to determine scores fairly that way.

True; more for curiosity sake. Wonder what effect (if any) Covid has had on scores.

Members don't see this ad.

True; more for curiosity sake. Wonder what effect (if any) Covid has had on scores.
Having taken it multiple times, I’ve never thought “wow I wish I had more time to study”. No matter if you were quarantined or not, it’s a total grind to learn all this stuff. I think averages will be around the same they’ve always been

Having taken it multiple times, I’ve never thought “wow I wish I had more time to study”. No matter if you were quarantined or not, it’s a total grind to learn all this stuff. I think averages will be around the same they’ve always been

I agree, average will be almost the same, I'm willing to bet on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
During the 15 minute tutorial at the beginning of the test, are you allowed to write out formulas or do you have to wait until the clock starts for the actual test?

Reactions: 1 user
During the 15 minute tutorial at the beginning of the test, are you allowed to write out formulas or do you have to wait until the clock starts for the actual test?

My testing center made me wait in Feb. Took away my friends sheet actually when they saw they wrote stuff down during the tutorial hahah

Are you provided with one or more sheets of paper & a pencil/pen? ... or do we need to bring something? My brain is fried and I don't remember. Thanks all.

Are you provided with one or more sheets of paper & a pencil/pen? ... or do we need to bring something? My brain is fried and I don't remember. Thanks all.

you get a packet of yellow paper (4 pages total), and a black pen. COVID changed things up for my site. Obviously that could differ, but I think it’ll be the packet and Pen/pencil pending what your site Decided

When I took the test August 2019, they didn’t say I couldn’t. Every time I’ve been To Prometric since (CDCA, NBDE) they specifically said “you may not write on this paper until after the tutorial”.

Do I really have to feel like this for another 2 months? Please release scores earlier

Do I really have to feel like this for another 2 months? Please release scores earlier
Agreed... If every test is different then theres no reason to wait in releasing scores since every test's SD and avg will be different

If anyone took Aug 2019 and took this test too, anyone care to comment on how the difficulty compared?

If anyone took Aug 2019 and took this test too, anyone care to comment on how the difficulty compared?

I did. I felt more comfortable with this recent exam, but I also was more prepared. From what I can tell, someone’s perception of difficulty tends to be highly dependent on how prepared they are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed... If every test is different then theres no reason to wait in releasing scores since every test's SD and avg will be different

also keep in mind that it would Be unfair for those of us who took it earlier (myself included) to receive our score and send out in advance of those whose test center couldn’t open until later

also keep in mind that it would Be unfair for those of us who took it earlier (myself included) to receive our score and send out in advance of those whose test center couldn’t open until later

I'm pretty sure all test centers had spots earlier than september 1. if anything, it'd be fair because those people have more time to study but that's just my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users
Was there a lot of neuro on the exam? I hate neuro-my school barely teaches anything for neuroanatomy.

Whats the consensus on how NBME 18 compares to actual CBSE? Took it today and it was pretty hard. From what I remember when I took the Feb 2020 CBSE it was much more straight forward. NBME 18 felt like every question was 2nd/3rd order.

Whats the consensus on how NBME 18 compares to actual CBSE? Took it today and it was pretty hard. From what I remember when I took the Feb 2020 CBSE it was much more straight forward. NBME 18 felt like every question was 2nd/3rd order.

From recent test takers (Feb exam), I was told 20-24 is more predictive and like the CBSE.

Oh god, so I guess I'm in for a rude awakening. 18 still under-predicts right because of the curves? I got a 204 on 18, haven't done any of the newer ones. If I can bang out a 210-215, I can sleep a happy man.

Oh god, so I guess I'm in for a rude awakening. 18 still under-predicts right because of the curves? I got a 204 on 18, haven't done any of the newer ones. If I can bang out a 210-215, I can sleep a happy man.

210-215 is essentially a 75-good score. I don't know what the average score of those getting in these days is now though-I think its probably low to mid 70s.
The new ones are rough, lot of random info tested that;s not in the typical Step 1 study materials.

Any thoughts on if they'd curve all dates to a certain score to normalize the data or if each test date will be curved completely on the previous med students taking that question set?

Any thoughts on if they'd curve all dates to a certain score to normalize the data or if each test date will be curved completely on the previous med students taking that question set?

I don't think anyone knows anything

Right now is when all sorts of conspiracy theories and rumors start flying for weeks until the scores release.

Lets start the rumor that they score the cbse by picking random numbers out of a hat.

Reactions: 5 users
Right now is when all sorts of conspiracy theories and rumors start flying for weeks until the scores release.

Lets start the rumor that they score the cbse by picking random numbers out of a hat.

This explains why I got a 6 on the last CBSE.

Reactions: 6 users

I'm pretty sure all questions are pre-curved based on the percent of med students getting that 1 question correct. At least I would hope so. Each exam will hypothetically be curved differently (if given diff exams), but they would still be curved according to the med students.

This makes the most sense but I cannot confirm it. Add it to the rumor list.

Reactions: 2 users
Most of the programs I've emailed have pushed their deadline back, and either requested it all be turned in at the same time, or can be added later. Regardless, I'm uploading it to pass and emailing it the moment I get scores back.

That’s crazy the way they split the exams cause COVID. sucks waiting more in first round.
CBSE I think should be very similar to NBME. Took 20 quite few months before and did lower but the ones I did around my exam time were within +/-4. I literarily started 4 below and scored 4 more on the NBME 24. Real CBSE was a fair average of NBME 21-24 and 18. I do wish all other NBME’s had official curve to them. It would help people with gauging even though the NBME’s change over the years. Not sure about CBSE, to me that exam in February felt like NBME 11 or something like that from over a decade ago

That’s crazy the way they split the exams cause COVID. sucks waiting more in first round.
CBSE I think should be very similar to NBME. Took 20 quite few months before and did lower but the ones I did around my exam time were within +/-4. I literarily started 4 below and scored 4 more on the NBME 24. Real CBSE was a fair average of NBME 21-24 and 18. I do wish all other NBME’s had official curve to them. It would help people with gauging even though the NBME’s change over the years. Not sure about CBSE, to me that exam in February felt like NBME 11 or something like that from over a decade ago

I heard the Feb 2020 CBSE was quite difficult. I took Aug 2019 and that one wasn't very tough in my opinion.

Difficulty is a subjective feeling depending on the strength of your topics that day. I remember knowing cardio inside out one week and the next week I forget half of it as I'm studying pulmonary.

Reactions: 2 users
Question about test length.

On the AAOMS site, it states:
Comprehensive Basic Science Examination

Number of items-200
Exam length: 5 hours, 30 minutes*

but, when I open up the link on that same page that reads, "Scheduling & Test Day Policies & Procedures," I am sent to a pdf that states that the CBSE exam length is 4 hrs + a 15 minute tutorial. So the total session time is 4 hrs and 15 minutes.

Which is correct??
Thank you!

Number of items-200

but, when I open up the link on that same page that reads, "Scheduling & Test Day Policies & Procedures," I am sent to a pdf that states that the CBSE exam length is 4 hrs + a 15 minute tutorial. So the total session time is 4 hrs and 15 minutes.

Which is correct??
Thank you!
Each block you get 1 hour and 15 min (4 blocks total), and you get 15 min for the tutorial and then 15-minute break after the 2nd block.

Number of items-200

Which is correct??
Thank you!

We will have 5.5 hrs to take the NBME CBSE for OMFS applicants:
- 15 min tutorial
- 2.5hrs (block 1&2)
- 15min break
- 2.5hrs (block 3&4)

Heres the confusing part, buckle up. That link is the correct testing procedure but wouldn't list our CBSE, as it refers to the CBSE (also from NBME) for medical students to gauge their individual passibility of step 1. AAOMS "partners" with NBME to produce a special CBSE just for us, which is administered only twice/year. I believe this went in to effect when our joke of a board exams turned into P/F.

@Banjogo @Charcot-Marie-Tooth
Thank you for your replies everyone. I am still confused. It says in this document https://www.aaoms.org/images/uploads/pdfs/nbme_test_day_procedures.pdf that there is no break, and that the exam is 4 hrs and 15 minutes, including the tutorial (but no break). I found this on the AAOMS site......So are you saying that this 4 hr and 15 min test with no breaks is not the NBME dental students take?
@Banjogo & @Charcot-Marie-Tooth are correct.

@Banjogo @Charcot-Marie-Tooth
Thank you for your replies everyone. I am still confused. It says in this document https://www.aaoms.org/images/uploads/pdfs/nbme_test_day_procedures.pdf that there is no break, and that the exam is 4 hrs and 15 minutes, including the tutorial (but no break). I found this on the AAOMS site......So are you saying that this 4 hr and 15 min test with no breaks is not the NBME dental students take?
Just trust me... I took it myself... SDN never lies

Jk.. But yeah, again, you get 5 hours of actual testing time (1 hr 15-minute blocks)... If you take an old nbme then you'll see that. + the tutorial and the break and you're at 5.5 hrs

Thanks everybody. I have taken old NBMEs, but I still thought that the test was 4 hr and 15 in. At least we get a short break!

Has anyone heard word on how long it’ll take for them to release scores once everyone has finished taking the exams on sept 15th? Sorry if this has already been asked somewhere in the thread

Has anyone heard word on how long it’ll take for them to release scores once everyone has finished taking the exams on sept 15th? Sorry if this has already been asked somewhere in the thread

The email said no later than October 1st, but they've haven't released scores on time for at least the past few exam cycles.

The email said no later than October 1st, but they've haven't released scores on time for at least the past few exam cycles.
Hopefully not any later than this, since a bunch of programs have Oct 1st deadlines

Anyone know if its possible for us to get a copy of our score report from the last time we took it? Looks like its expired and I can't remember if I saved it somewhere...

Anyone know if its possible for us to get a copy of our score report from the last time we took it? Looks like its expired and I can't remember if I saved it somewhere...

In mynbme website it should be there, but I know it disappears after a certain amount of time.

On another note-when should we expect to get scores back for this exam-Oct 1?

In mynbme website it should be there, but I know it disappears after a certain amount of time.

On another note-when should we expect to get scores back for this exam-Oct 1?

JL told me they will be available prior to october 1st but didn't specify a date

one of the omfs faculty at my school forwarded me the virtual residency fair email they got from John London- Said they're going to try to have scores out the week of sept 22.
Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 3.04.28 PM.png

Reactions: 8 users
Wonder if anyone is actually taking the test the 15th or even Monday. If not, they ought to have all our scores ready to go