August 2020 - CBSE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sure most people did not cheat. However, it will definitely result in a number of people not getting interviews if those who cheated are not penalized.

I get the worry, I took the exam the first date in August. But there is so much at play it’s impossible to say this definitely. Maybe they cheated and got those questions right, while getting other questions wrong, maybe they are a D2 not applying this cycle, maybe the person who told them the question got some details wrong. Maybe a higher average score isn’t evidence of cheating but instead evidence of a longer timeframe to study...we could probably come up with many more...in the end it is what it is

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Let’s also not forget that the pandemic affected everyone very differently. Students from some schools had way more free time to study, while students at other schools were extra busy trying catching up on things. Lots of factors at play here

Reactions: 2 users
Basically, **** happened this exam cycle. There's no doubt that some people benefited, while some people inevitably got screwed. Unfortunately, we have no concrete data that cheating happened, aside from word of mouth. Chances are for the three/four you got right from cheating, you got equally as many wrong. Let's get the scores and the SD and go from there. I think we're all expecting a slightly higher average, probably a 58-60 simply because of COVID. If the average peaks towards at 62-64, then we may have larger issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they should drop all the questions I answered incorrectly and keep all the questions I answered correctly.
I was actually about to suggest that same thing. This is the kind of forward thinking we need to see more of in the field!

Reactions: 1 users
What conversion chart do I use for the score?

What conversion chart do I use for the score?

You can google it. An official one will be emailed in about a week that differs only slightly from the standard conversion table. At least that’s what happened August 2019.

yeah even if the avg is a lot higher, it's tough to say whether that's from people cheating or just from people having a lot more time to study because of no school/clinic :mad:...

How do you check lmao, this was my first time taking it

The same webpage where you can find your permit

Did you get an email? im on aaoms but I can only see my registration but I cant find my score anywhere. Idk if its just the adrenaline making me stupid

Members don't see this ad :)
What does 75+ or 80+ mean? I'm guessing 75+ is 75-79? The scores are reported out of 300, so why are people even reporting that old score system? Anyway, I got 220, so that is something like 78 on the old scale.

Here y’all go

Attachments

• 0B2188E0-E536-499E-B2AF-E44E910F17E2.png
    0B2188E0-E536-499E-B2AF-E44E910F17E2.png
    199.5 KB · Views: 290
Here y’all go

This is my first time taking the test.
Are you saying that if the score report says, for example, "Your CBSE Score 202" that means my score is 70, and, "Your CBSE Score 142" means that my score is 49?

Thank you

This is my first time taking the test.
Are you saying that if the score report says, for example, "Your CBSE Score 202" that means my score is 70, and, "Your CBSE Score 142" means that my score is 49?

Thank you

Exactly, that is the official conversion chart.

What does 75+ or 80+ mean? I'm guessing 75+ is 75-79? The scores are reported out of 300, so why are people even reporting that old score system? Anyway, I got 220, so that is something like 78 on the old scale.
Its an easy way to talk about what you mean. Whenever you talk about a 3 digit score people just ask what that means in 2 digits so I guess this skips the middle man

Anecdotal evidence for 6 year seeking candidates: the average CBSE at Parkland last cycle was 82 and at USC was 85. The 6 year interviewee pool did not change that much among competitive programs. Put your best foot forward and try to fit into that ballpark of high 70s/low 80s.

Anecdotal evidence for 6 year seeking candidates: the average CBSE at Parkland last cycle was 82 and at USC was 85. The 6 year interviewee pool did not change that much among competitive programs. Put your best foot forward and try to fit into that ballpark of high 70s/low 80s.

Are those the averages of people chosen for interviews at Parkland and USC, or are they the averages for people who were ultimately selected as residents at those programs? Thank you!

Are those the averages of people chosen for interviews at Parkland and USC, or are they the averages for people who were ultimately selected as residents at those programs? Thank you!
I'd assume selected residents.. There arent enough people scoring in the 80s to have those kinds of averages at interviews

I'd assume selected residents.. There arent enough people scoring in the 80s to have those kinds of averages at interviews
Average CBSE of interviewee at Parkland was 79 per their IG.

Average. That number was provided to us.

10 people from Columbia broke 80, 3 from Penn, 3-4 from Harvard, 3-4 from UConn, and 4-5 from UCLA. That’s only from the “feeder” schools.

ok so how can we see the percentile / where our score stands? or we can't till JL sends us an email? Because from the chart on the score sheet, even a 70 is way below average

Do yourselves a favor and save your score report in multiple locations and email it to yourself. The last thing you want is to have to scramble to find it when it comes time to apply.

Going off of this, the CBSE helps get you the interviews. I’ve heard from multiple PDs that once you get the interview, they don’t look at the stats - they evaluate the person.

ok so how can we see the percentile / where our score stands? or we can't till JL sends us an email? Because from the chart on the score sheet, even a 70 is way below average
That chart is based off med students' 2018 STEP1. He'll release averages probably next week and the average would likely be around a 60 or so

Going off of this, the CBSE helps get you the interviews. I’ve heard from multiple PDs that once you get the interview, they don’t look at the stats - they evaluate the person.

I have heard this many times as well, especially on my recent externships. Dudes/gals just want a bunch of other good dudes/gals to hangout with for 4-6 years.

I'm really confused because based on standard deviation of FEB 2020, score of 78-79 is 2 standard deviation above the mean. In other words it's the 97.5 % percentile. But if all the 6 year programs mentioned above avg CBSE score is 82+ than, does that mean they literally only interview 98-99 percentile scores? This seems to differ from what is posted on ACCESS OMFS. Can someone clarify how accurate the information on ACCESS OMFS is and what is considered competitive score for a 4 year and 6 year program?

I'm really confused because based on standard deviation of FEB 2020, score of 78-79 is 2 standard deviation above the mean. In other words it's the 97.5 % percentile. But if all the 6 year programs mentioned above avg CBSE score is 82+ than, does that mean they literally only interview 98-99 percentile scores? This seems to differ from what is posted on ACCESS OMFS. Can someone clarify how accurate the information on ACCESS OMFS is and what is considered competitive score for a 4 year and 6 year program?

Don’t look too into that post. I know a person at one of the programs that was mentioned above who scored below a 75. It’s not all black and white. The average has been 55-58 on every recent CBSE for a reason.

Reactions: 4 users

That is correct.
Remember that there aren't that many spots offered by 'prestigious' 6 year programs.
I am not surprised that the avg of parkland interviewees is 80++ considering the fact that parkland is regarded as one of the best.

Is 220 a competitive score for most 6-year programs?
Very competitive... Again, as you may already know (or need to learn) SDN is often a gathering place for the outliers.

Referring back to the article published in JOMS (data pulled from the 2018-2019 cycle), the mean score MATCHED to 4-year programs was 63.5 +/- 7.6 (range of 47-80). The 6-year matched mean was 75.3 +/- 7.1 (range of 63-90)

Yes, I know not every program responded to the survey, but it gives an idea... Also shows why 6-year programs encourage applicants to shoot for 70+, 4-year programs 60+.
Of course, like the post above noted, there are a few places like Parkland or USC that are ultra-competitive... But that's a different story

I'm not saying to go get a 47, I'm just saying to relax. I hope to one day meet that 47, I'm sure they have an incredible life story to tell...

Reactions: 9 users
Hi everyone I took it for the first time and got around a 64-65 I’m trying to figure out what I should focus on for February. My biggest problem has been retention of information. I’m wondering if I should take on a deck like bro’s and go through all of it or focus on Uworld? I got through around 60% of uworld the first time. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Very competitive... Again, as you may already know (or need to learn) SDN is often a gathering place for the outliers.

Referring back to the article published in JOMS (data pulled from the 2018-2019 cycle), the mean score MATCHED to 4-year programs was 63.5 +/- 7.6 (range of 47-80). The 6-year matched mean was 75.3 +/- 7.1 (range of 63-90)

Yes, I know not every program responded to the survey, but it gives an idea... Also shows why 6-year programs encourage applicants to shoot for 70+, 4-year programs 60+.
Of course, like the post above noted, there are a few places like Parkland or USC that are ultra-competitive... But that's a different story

I'm not saying to go get a 47, I'm just saying to relax. I hope to one day meet that 47, I'm sure they have an incredible life story to tell...

Big believer that if you’re close, can’t hurt to attempt it again. Grind hard peeps, there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Also, kudos to JL. Thank you and your team for pumping those scores out

Spoke to an attending at a 4yr NYC program who said average accepted cbse is low 70s. I don’t know if thats just for his program, or all programs though.

Got a 210 (73), graduated in the middle of my class with mediocre GPA. Don't know if I should sign up for the beast again to compensate for the GPA...

Curious to know if there was any resource shared in the past that summarizes CBSE cut-offs for interviews based on specific OMFS programs in the states? I'm aware that not all programs disclose this information, but for the ones that do, if someone has a list that would be great!

Can someone explain why people are crazy about USC? The 4-year is solid, no doubt, but the 6-year has a lot of medical school and the tuition is pretty expensive. What am I missing?

Also people from Cali most likely want to stay there, so you got all the UCLA, UCSF, etc kids applying there.

Anyone know the average score for interviewees at LSU Shreveport or NO?

Did you get an email? im on aaoms but I can only see my registration but I cant find my score anywhere. Idk if its just the adrenaline making me stupid

Did you find out where you can see it? Im on aaoms but I still can't find it

When uploading your new score, do you just add it to ADEA PASS and upload in the "other" section or do you guys email programs the pdf or both?

When uploading your new score, do you just add it to ADEA PASS and upload in the "other" section or do you guys email programs the pdf or both?
I put the numeric score on my CV and uploaded the score report in the other section for each program. If a program wants it directly sent, then email/mail it to them

I put the numeric score on my CV and uploaded the score report in the other section for each program. If a program wants it directly sent, then email/mail it to them

Is that after you had already uploaded your previous score? I had submitted with my old score prior to taking the exam. And now with the new one I updated my application and also uploaded another CV with the new score on it.

My question is, will the programs see that you have an updated score on your application? Or do you have to send it to them?